Start by marking “Cross-Cultural Adoption: How to Answer Questions from Family, Friends and Community” as Want to Read:

"Coughlin and Abramowitz offer useful insight for answering questions inevitably asked of adoptive families. Cross-Cultural Adoption is an invaluable tool for parents adopting internationally."

—Claudia–Jacqueline Semar, M.Ed., director of family services, Commonwealth Adoptions International, Inc.
Published July 1st 2004 by Lifeline Press

To ask other readers questions about Cross-Cultural Adoption, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Cross-Cultural Adoption

Elizabeth
Nov 11, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: parenting
I started reading this because one of my family members is in the adoption process. However, beyond giving some helpful ways to word answers that your children might ask, it's really too basic. I get that the authors wanted to write a book to hand to busy family members but it left me with more questions than answers. Also, some of the suggested responses to children's questions are intentionally phrased so positively that they become sugary and downright untruthful. Example: parents are directe ...more
Andrew
Sep 04, 2010 rated it really liked it
Simple, short, effective. Gonna keep this on my shelf for referencing. Sometimes the language/tone of these child rearing books irritates me, but I find that it's often worth sticking with it. Part of the tone of course comes from the fact that we're talking about young children and their language is different than ours and the way we speak to them is different than the way we speak with adults. Obvious, yes, but still an adjustment for me.

Beverly
Aug 07, 2008 rated it liked it
This is a very quick read with some good information. It really is geared to extended families of adopted children. It has some good answers for common questions about adoption, but mostly focuses on adoption from other countries, not really interracial adoption, which brings its own set of questions and inappropriate comments. On the whole, good information, though.
Lisa
Jan 06, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2011-reads
It was interesting, but most of it was basic adoption information, and very little, in my opinion dealt with the specific problems pertaining to cross cultural adoptions. Also the end of the book did not pertain to us at all because the country we are adopting from was not one of the ones listed.
Tristen
Sep 29, 2008 rated it liked it
Kind of a weird book selection, but I was curious. I read this in one evening and actually thought it was interesting and made me more aware of how to talk about adoption with my family if it ever comes up.
Amber
Jan 21, 2009 rated it it was ok
This book seemed most geared toward children and how to answer their questions about having an adopted sibling/cousin, etc.
Oct 17, 2014 rated it really liked it
A good resource for anyone adopting or considering adoption. Especially useful to share with an older sibling to read in preparation. We are sharing it with our 10 year old daughter.
Abraham Ray
Feb 11, 2013 rated it it was amazing
good book about adoption!
Emily
Mar 03, 2009 rated it really liked it
Parts of this are a little simplistic, but it's a good overview of the things people say/ask about cross-cultural adoption, and it has good ideas about how to handle those remarks.
Dayspring
Jan 16, 2010 rated it really liked it
A simple and straightforward book that is a great resource to share with extended family and friends of adoptive families.
Chris
Jan 24, 2009 added it
Shelves: non-fiction
Nothing earth shattering, but some good suggestions for handling Q&A, broken down by age.
Vive-un-Livre
Apr 03, 2009 rated it liked it
Another handy guide for preventing hurtful comments before they're said.
Britt
Jan 27, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Simple, readable forum. Great concise answers to stupid question that people inevitably ask. :)
Elizabeth Woods
rated it did not like it
Jan 09, 2016