Start by marking “Shatter” as Want to Read:
Shatter

Shatter (Joseph O'Loughlin #3)

4.08  ·  Rating details ·  5,584 Ratings  ·  633 Reviews
Psychologist Joe O’Loughlin returns in this dark and masterful psychological thriller to investigate a suicide that is beginning to look more like the work of a diabolical serial killer.

A women, wearing only high-heels, is perched on a bridge high above a flooded gorge, sobbing into a cell phone. Joe O'Loughlin stands only feet away, desperately trying to coax her back t
Published March 2nd 2010 by Knopf Doubleday Publishing Group (first published January 1st 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Shatter, please sign up.

Lori I have read four or five of his books (though I do intend to read them all). Although it's the same character they don't need to be read in order,…moreI have read four or five of his books (though I do intend to read them all). Although it's the same character they don't need to be read in order, however, Gideon Tyler is mentioned in one of his latest books, but doesn't affect the book at all - only as an aside.(less)

Brenda
Dec 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I continue to be amazed by Michael Robotham. His writing style thoroughly engages me. His characters are fully developed. He proves that an exciting tension-filled story doesn't need blood and gore. It all takes place in the mind.

Robotham scatters pieces of truth, half truths, and lies throughout and applies them to both the good guys and the bad guys. Joe O'Laughlin and Vincent Ruiz have developed a wonderful friendship, and their humor and sarcasm offsets the tension when it's needed. Even sec
Phrynne
Sep 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This author gets better and better! I raced through this book with my heart in my mouth, so scared about what might be going to happen! The main character is no super hero, suffering as he does from Parkinson's disease. And life is not always kind to him in many ways. Nevertheless he struggles to help others even when the result is that he really does not help himself.
I enjoyed this very much indeed. The killer was very, very scary, the tension was extreme and the other characters were all peopl
Petra
Best one of the series so far! Another audiobook during yet another long car trip. Spent 2.5hrs. sitting in a traffic jam and didn't care. This book was that good! The culprit was fascinating. The friendship between Joe and Ruiz is brilliant, love their banter. The only thing that annoyed me in this one was Joe's wife. Her attitude and behavior were irritating. Brilliant writing, fantastic series.
Brenda
When Professor Joseph O’Loughlin was asked to assist on the Clifton Suspension Bridge with talking to a woman who was going to jump, he had no idea the trauma and life changing events that he would set in place by agreeing. Unable to stop the woman, her tears and desperation buried deep in his mind, he was shocked to find the woman’s sixteen year old daughter at his door a few days later. Darcy did her best to convince Joe that her mother wouldn’t have committed suicide – she was terrified of he ...more
David
Australian author Michael Robotham has concocted a chilling and unputdownable psychological thriller. The book title refers to the method in which the villian, 'shatters' the victim's minds. It also shattered my sleep patterns. Once started, I could not stop - all 460+ pages in one (very late) night.

The main protagonist is psychologist, Professor Joe O'Loughlin. Joe is highly skilled at reading people, yet he is flawed. He is suffering from an incureable disease, his wife is seemingly having an
Perry
Feb 18, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
" Shattered, shattered
Love and hope and sex and dreams
Are still surviving on the street
Look at me, I'm in tatters!"
Jagger/Richards, 1978

Built upon intriguing psychological supports and jammed front to back with suspense, the story centers on a protagonist clinical psychologist who seems true and real, his gruff and witty sometimes-sidekick, a believable family that plays into the storyline and other characters who capture the imagination.

Mr. Robotham is greatly gifted in writing dialogue, into
Raven D.
May 02, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I was in New York when I bought this book at Barnes and Nobles. (I'm from Minnesota). I really had no book in mind and just wanted to find something to read. I actually chose this over a book I've been dying to read but didn't necessarily want to buy just yet. I was searching around for a good murder mystery which is my favorite genre, and found this book after reading the backs of dozens of other books. I have to say, what made me choose this was that on the front (different cover than the one ...more
Barbara
"First, he'll break your heart. Then he'll destroy your mind."

I read this book on the strength of those two sentences. This is one of the better thriller/serial killer novels out there, and I compare it to Thomas Harris' Hannibal Lecter series. A psychologist, Joe O'Loughlin, is called to help a distraught woman down from a bridge. However, rather than working with him, she jumps to her death. That she was talking to someone on a cell phone only adds to the mystery of why she killed herself--esp
Mike
Jan 15, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Synopsis: Joe O'Loughlin is in familiar territory-standing on a bridge high above a flooded gorge, trying to stop a distraught woman from jumping. "You don't understand," she whispers, and lets go. Joe is haunted by his failure to save the woman, until her teenage daughter finds him and reveals that her mother would never have committed suicide-not like that. She was terrified of heights. What could have driven her to commit such a desperate act? Whose voice? What evil?
Having devoted his career
Laurie
May 28, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Robotham is little known here, but absolutely first rate, both as a writer and as a crime writer. All of his books are deeply satisfying.
Lourdes Venard
Apr 22, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Joe O’Loughlin, who we met in Robotham’s first book, is back, this time teaching college psychology as his Parkinson’s advances. He’s asked by police to help talk down a woman who is perched on the Clifton Suspension Bridge, naked except for her Jimmy Choo shoes and with the word “slut” written across her stomach in lipstick. Even stranger, she’s talking into a cell phone. O’Loughlin is unable to save her; she jumps to her death. A few days later, her business partner is found dead, also naked, ...more
Karen Brooks
Aug 19, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Once again, Michael Robotham has defined what’s meant by the often loosely applied term “page-turner.” I literally could not put this book down – I was turning the pages and burning the midnight oil because I simply had to know what happened next.
Written in stark, but laden prose, that beautifully captures a range of human emotions, conditions and relationships, Shatter is another in the Joseph O’Loughlin series and is a triumph of the genre.
Commencing with Professor Joe being unwillingly taken
Hannah Garden
This book is dumb as hell so far! WTF, Stephen King?? Frikken psychological-thriller-protagonists who have Cynical World Weary Outlooks expressed in dumbass witty-ass comments. HAR HAR HAR, sooo super-not-funny. But there is grossness in it! And it promises to let me swoop through it quick as shit! Which are the main two priorities right now. For me.

Oh, plus, James keeps calling it SHARTER, which, do you know what SHART means? I learned it from some movie I think I am supposed to be embarrassed
Carol
Sep 25, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another reviewer (on this website) was referred to this novel when she requested a recommendation for a book that was a “good, solid, well written, sharp, cutting edge” thriller. I cannot add one more adjective that would describe this suspense novel any better. I think that I enjoyed it more because the main protagonist isn’t a detective. He is a forensic psychologist with Parkinson’s disease. His name is Joe O’Laughlin and he is a flawed but most likable man with a personal story as interestin ...more
Steph
Aug 14, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a really interesting book diving into the mind of a killer who kills without touching the victims. It was a real psychological thriller really enjoyed finding out the motive and breaking down each of the crimes. I didn't care for The main character but this book was more around the plot and not really the characters. It was quite interesting I would've liked a little bit more mystery and suspense but overall it was quite good.
Camille
Sep 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow!!!! This has been my absolute favorite book in this series so far. I can honestly say I haven't read a book like this before. I'm truly curious to see how this author will follow this one up!
Manda Scott
Jun 06, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'm in that glorious period when the next book is a Platonic ideal, built up in my imagination, but I haven't actually started the work of writing it yet. I'm plotting, and finding character names, and staring at geography and, in this particular instance, watching boxed sets of 'Spiral', the fantastic French police thriller series that's like Lewis on steroids, laced with a strong Burgundy and a lot more sex. Yes, I am in love with Laure. And yes, my beloved knows this...
In amongst all of this
Cindy
Aug 19, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: thriller, favorites
Dein Wille Geschehe war das erste Buch, welches ich von Michael Robotham entdeckte. Ich sah das Cover, und dachte schon "sieht spannend aus", ich las den Klappentext, und dachte nur "das musst du lesen". Ich hab es direkt an dem Tag mitgenommen und angefangen zu lesen.
Man wird erst einmal eingeführt und erfährt ein wenig über den Psychologen Joe O'Loughlin, schon während des Falls taucht dann auch der Detective Inspector Vincent Ruiz auf, es wird erklärt wie sich die beiden kennen gelernt haben
Michael
Sep 20, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Thriller fans, English mystery fans
Recommended to Michael by: author nominated for awards
Joe O'Loughlin is a psychologist, suffering with Parkinson's disease. The police ask for his help with attempting to disuade a woman from committing suicide. She's on a bridge and threatening to jump. Shortly after he arrives and tries to talk her out of her attempt, she says, "You don't understand" and she jumps.

Joe is a good man, he cares for others and is troubled that he couldn't save the woman. A bit later a sixteen year old comes to his home, Darcy Wheeler, tells him that it was her mother
LJ
SHATTER (Phys. Suspense-Joe O’Loughlin-England-Cont) – VG
Robotham, Michael – 4th book
Sphere, 2008, UK Hardcover – IBN: 9781847441775

First Sentence: There is a moment when all hope disappears, all pride is gone, all expectations, all faith, all desire.

Clinical psychologist Joseph O’Loughlin is asked to help talk a potential suicide down from a bridge. He fails but before she jumps, he notices he is on a cell phone and is believes the person on the other end instructed her to jump. His belief that
Ellen Keim
Jan 31, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Samantha
May 01, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I chose this book based solely on its cover which isn't the one shown here but instead the one with the picture of the lady appearing to wanting to jump off a building. It jutst grabbed my eye at the book store. The cover said Steven king said it was the most suspenseful book he read all year. The back had a quote that said even readers like me that can guess everything before it happens won't know what is going to happen next. That sold me.

I read all 500 pages in a days time with a toddler and
Todd
Oct 21, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, thriller
Nancy
Jun 23, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Psychological thriller lovers
Shatter is fast-paced, well plotted and well-written with only one small section where I thought the main character acted slightly out of character.
This is my first experience with Michael Robotham and it leaves me wanting to find more of his work and see what his next book is about.
In Shatter, two women commit suicide in unlikely ways and the police bring in psychologist, Joe O'Loughlin, to help them sort out the mystery.
While O'Loughlin makes a career of restoring shattered minds, he disco
Donna
May 16, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crime-mystery
This is the 3rd book in this series. I've read a few of these, however, not in proper order. I liked this one, as I have the others. It had great depth in the plot. I always appreciate it when it is layered. It adds interest. I also liked the emphasis on the character development. It helped me to understand some of the relationship dynamics that were continuing to unfold in some of the later books that I've already read.

I was torn between 3 and 4 stars on this one. But bottom line, I didn't enjo
Steve
Nov 29, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book shocked me, but it also made me laugh. I also could not put the thing down for love or money. The action started with a bang, and kept going, with the author ratcheting up the tension and using chapter breaks to great effect. The climax was drawn out, and just as suspenseful as the rest of the book. The resolution didn't answer any many questions as I wanted, but I will definitely read the next in the series.
Vicki Tyley
Nov 05, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"It’s eleven o’clock in the morning, late September, and outside it’s raining so hard that cows are floating down rivers and birds are resting on their bloated bodies."

Shatter hooked me from the first sentence (above) and didn't let go. A fast-paced, suspense-filled thriller. Highly recommended.
Fictionophile
This is the 3rd novel in the Joseph O'Loughlin series.
However, it works splendidly as a stand-alone.
This has to be the most unique serial killer I ever encountered in the pages of a novel. He kills without lifting a finger against them, without leaving a mark on their bodies.
It is their minds that he wants to break...
Terri
May 25, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Give it 4 1/2 stars.....I have loved all the books I have read from this author so far. Great read and highly recommend.
Samantha Buettner
This is the pivotal novel in the series! As always great depth in the story and characters.
  • Das Skript
  • Silent Fear (Detective Ella Marconi, #5)
  • Blood Moon (Inspector Challis, #5)
  • A Garden Of Vipers (Carson Ryder, #3)
  • Precious Blood
  • Love Story, With Murders (Fiona Griffiths, #2)
  • The Darker Side (Smoky Barrett, #3)
  • A Few Right Thinking Men (Rowland Sinclair, #1)
  • The Reckoning (Maeve Kerrigan, #2)
  • A Beautiful Place to Die (Detective Emmanuel Cooper, #1)
  • The Kind One
  • Resolution (Garnethill, #3)
  • The Executioner (Robert Hunter, #2)
  • The Colour of Death
  • The Chalk Girl (Kathleen Mallory, #10)
  • Mr. Clarinet (Max Mingus, #1)
  • Burial
  • Tuesday's Gone (Frieda Klein, #2)
Edgar finalist and Gold Dagger winning author, Michael Robotham was born in Australia in November 1960 and grew up in small country towns that had more dogs than people and more flies than dogs. He escaped in 1979 and became a cadet journalist on an afternoon newspaper in Sydney.

For the next fourteen years he worked for newspapers in Australia, Europe, Africa and America. As a senior feature write
More about Michael Robotham...

Joseph O'Loughlin (8 books)
  • Suspect (Joseph O'Loughlin, #1)
  • Lost (Joseph O'Loughlin #2)
  • Bleed for Me (Joseph O'Loughlin #4)
  • The Wreckage (Joseph O'Loughlin, #5)
  • Say You're Sorry (Joseph O'Loughlin #6)
  • Watching You (Joseph O'Loughlin, #7)
  • Close Your Eyes (Joseph O'Loughlin, #8)
“There is a moment when all hope disappears, all pride is gone, all expectation, all faith, all desire. I own that moment. It belongs to me. That's when I hear the sound, the sound of a mind breaking. It's not a loud crack like when bones shatter or a spine fractures or a skull collapses. And it's not something soft and wet like a heart breaking. It's a sound that makes you wonder how much pain a person can endure; a sound that shatters memories and lets the past leak into the present; a sound so high that only the hounds of hell can hear it. Can you hear it? Someone is curled up in a tiny ball crying softly into an endless night.” 7 likes
“Sometimes I wake at night and worry that I might have disappeared in my sleep. That's what happens when nobody cares about you. Bit by bit you begin to disappear until people look right through your chest and head like you're made of glass. It's not about love; it's about being forgotten. We only exist if others think about us. It is like that tree that falls in the forest with nobody around to hear it. Who the fuck cares except the birds?” 5 likes