Start by marking “Norman Rockwell's Christmas Book” as Want to Read:
Norman Rockwell's Christmas Book

Norman Rockwell's Christmas Book

4.18  ·  Rating details ·  265 Ratings  ·  26 Reviews
Originally published by Abrams in 1977, Norman Rockwell's Christmas Book is a holiday classic that has remained a bestselling family treasure for over 30 years. With over 85 images from Norman Rockwell's archive of art, this fully redesigned edition brings a fresh, contemporary appeal to the original vintage volume.

This holiday favorite features timeless art, including ima
Hardcover, revised, updated, 224 pages
Published November 1st 2009 by Harry N. Abrams (first published 1977)

To ask other readers questions about Norman Rockwell's Christmas Book, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Norman Rockwell's Christmas Book

Rod
Nov 30, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: owned
The Boy Who Laughed at Santa Claus (aka Dont F*** with Santa Claus--He Don't Mess Around)

by Ogden Nash

In Baltimore there lived a boy.
He wasn't anybody's joy.
Although his name was Jabez Dawes,
His character was full of flaws.
In school he never led his classes,
He hid old ladies' reading glasses,
His mouth was open when he chewed,
And elbows to the table glued.
He stole the milk of hungry kittens,
And walked through doors marked NO ADMITTANCE.
He said he acted thus because
There wasn't any Santa Claus.

An
Linda
Jul 25, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: art, christmas
This book was a gift from my husband once upon a Christmas. I grew up knowing Rockwell through his Saturday Evening Post covers and didn't really think of him as an artist in the sense of Van Gogh or Rembrandt for example - just a great illustrator. While in Washington D.C. (1972) there was an exhibit of his paintings at the Corcoran Gallery of Art, and I totally changed my feelings about Norman Rockwell. The Four Freedoms is timeless, the little girl walking to school surrounded by ?? National ...more
Amberly
Dec 14, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: christmas-books
I probably shouldn't say I've read this since all I have done is look at every page a handful of times and read a few things here and there. This is such a lovely book. Each page has beautiful detail. The cover has red foil holly and ivy around the edges. There are delightful sections including songs, recipes, poems, stories etc. Definitely worth adding to the collection.
Lalita
Nov 12, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone who is still a kid at heart.
Shelves: favorites
I enjoy this book whenever I get the whim to open it again. It brings back so many happy, comfy, childhood memories. I love Christmas and Norman Rockwell so it's the perfect combo. It helps keep the fun feeling of the holidays in my heart.
Deyanne
Dec 30, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: christmas
Traditional classic. The art is truly magnificent. This is a bygone era. The stories are "old fashioned" yet charming. The weakest section for me was the poetry. Actually, I enjoyed the recipes on how to truss a goose and how to make "plain paste". Children can get lost in the details of Rockwell's art. Fun memories.
P.S. Winn
May 29, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book has a bit of everything, stories, poems. illustrations and even some great recipes.
F.j.commelin
Nov 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: christmas
Some stories or poems are better than others, but i love it alone for the fabulous illustrations.
I take it every christmas from the shelf
Deyanne
Oct 31, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: christmas
I was gifted this newer edition of this book this year. Maybe it is that I am indeed growing "older" but the nostalgia for me was tender and enjoyable. I realize that for me Christmas is indeed layered with music and stories and poetry and traditions. Perhaps it is the timing, but this newer edition with fifteen additional timeless pieces of art and eight pop-out art pieces that could be framed appealed to me. This is a season that I savor and love and Norman Rockwell masterfully captured it wit ...more
Jan 02, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
There are some Christmas stories I have never heard of, and that is a pretty incredible feat. So many selections popular now (here's hoping Elf on a Shelf) will be obsolete in fifty years, just as many of these literary selections are unrecognized now. If you see this, pick it up and get it out every year with the stockings and ornaments and Great Aunt Edna's fruitcake. And then, if you're daring, make the full dinner listed in the final section of the book.
Cathi
Nov 23, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I know it's a bit early in the season to be reading a book like this, but it caught my eye at the library (part of a lovely holiday display). What can I say? I've always enjoyed Rockwell's illustrations, with all their detail, cleverness, and good humor. This book also contains a nice collection of Christmas stories, poems, and songs. What a great way to get in the Christmas spirit, even though it's not quite Thanksgiving yet.
David
May 19, 2014 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Why did I even read this? I should have just looked at the art. It has nice art. Obviously if you're a huge Norman Rockwell fan that helps. I have a mild appreciation for his work.

Unless you're elderly and/or very religious about your Christmas feels (which I'm not) I doubt you'll enjoy much of the actual text. I certainly didn't. Bad short stories, bad poems, bible excerpts, carols with sheet music (why?). This is...an odd book. And a boring one. Meh.
Jojobooks Higgins
Just bought this book and read through it! This was a tradition to have out at Christmas growing up and I'm so excited to share it with my kids! I love that there are traditional Christmas stories, carols AND classic N.R. art work all in one book!
If you need to buy a gift for someone this is something that people will pull out every year and cherish!
Megan
Nov 30, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Christmas/art lovers
Recommended to Megan by: Judy
Shelves: christmas
This is another book that I grew up with, and always remember reading during the holidays. It's chock full of songs, poems, stories and of course lots of beautiful Norman Rockwell art celebrating the Christmas season. A great book to put on your coffee table in December.
Elizabethtabor
Dec 24, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015
This was my Christmas book for 2015, and I loved it. It's a collection of some familiar and some unfamiliar stories, poems, and artwork. If you're a fan of Norman Rockwell then you'll most likely be a fan of the traditional Americana spirit that accompanies this Christmas collection.
Jan 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Beautifully illustrated, of course. This is like a variety show in book form to celebrate the (my own term) "traditional American Christmas holiday". Makes a nice coffee table book. I really, really like Norman Rockwall's art.
Heather
Jul 02, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My very favorite Christmas Book. This is a memory of Christmas every year from the time I was nine until today. We pull it out in December and read the stories and poems over and over.
Vickie
Feb 09, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Need to re-read! A Christmas staple,but read years ago.
Sharon Beers
Feb 17, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Nice Christmas anthology. A collection of stories, sheet music, poetry, memoirs and even recipes by famous authors.
Andd Becker
Apr 03, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The book is excellent for its comprehensive coverage of Christmas.
Kathryn
Oct 24, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: christmas, 2011
This is a delightful coffe table book filled with short stories, poems, carols, and not nearly enough pictures. I read many of the short stories. There are even recipes at the end.
Rivka D.
Nov 21, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Every Christmas we would pull this out and put it on the coffee table. We read it countless times. Highly recommended as a charming Christmas gift/decoration.
Amy
Was expecting more of an art collection. THis had sheet music, recipes, poems, stories, etc. (and pictures scattered throughout)

YTou can always get these for a penny on amazon.
Donnie Smith
Oct 31, 2015
Jean
Jan 10, 2016
Goodreads Librari...: Fix book title 3 19 Jun 04, 2017 11:59PM
  • Peter Spier's Christmas!
  • Red Ranger Came Calling
  • Why Christmas Trees Aren't Perfect
  • I'll Be Home For Christmas (Toot & Puddle)
  • Alphonse Mucha: Masterworks
  • Merry Un-Christmas
  • The Bird's Christmas Carol
  • The Little Drummer Boy
  • A Friend Is Someone Who Likes You
Norman Percevel Rockwell was a 20th century American painter and illustrator. His works enjoy a broad popular appeal in the United States, where Rockwell is most famous for the cover illustrations of everyday life scenarios he created for The Saturday Evening Post magazine over more than four decades. Among the best-known of Rockwell's works are the Willie Gillis series, Rosie the Riveter (althoug ...more
More about Norman Rockwell...