Start by marking “The Duke Next Door (Heiress Brides, #2)” as Want to Read:
The Duke Next Door (Heiress Brides, #2)

The Duke Next Door

(Heiress Brides #2)

The dangerously beautiful Deirdre Cantor is determined to inherit her grandfather's vast fortune. All she needs is to marry a dukeand be the first granddaughter to walk down the aisle. After all, she has always dreamed of becoming a member of the haute ton. So when the proper Calder Marbrook, the Marquis of Brookhaven and future Duke of Brookmoor, is abandoned at the ...more
Published April 1st 2008 by St. Martin's Paperbacks (first published January 1st 2008)

To ask other readers questions about The Duke Next Door, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Duke Next Door

Start your review of The Duke Next Door (Heiress Brides, #2)
Sammy Loves Books
Bravo!!! Totally loving this series!!

Lord Calder
description

Three female cousins competing to marry a Duke, but falling in love with all the wrong men!! Freaking fabulous fun!! Can't wait to read the final installment.
✨ Gramy ✨

The Duke Next Door was the introductory installment of the '(Heiress Brides' written by Celeste Bradley.

The story focused on Deirdre, who brazenly ensconced herself into Lord Brookhaven's life after her cousin Phoebe jilted him. Deirdre discovered that organizing a wedding was much easier than actually living happily in the marriage. Together the duo had many lessons to learn.

The dialogue features the f-word and is offensive, even when its supposedly done for the sake of realism. Although
Fani *loves angst*
Simplistic but highly entertaining. I always like marriage of convenience plots so it was easy for me to like this one as well. The characters, especially Calder's, are not described in depth and some scenes, like when he fondled her publicly in the staircase, are over the top, but I liked the result nonetheless. Light but with just a touch of angst to add some interest in the mix, it was fast paced and very enjoyable. I think I may have liked it more than the first one, but certainly Celeste ...more
Lauren
The Duke Next Door
3 Stars

Synopsis
Deidre Cantor has adored Calder Marbrook from afar for years and finally seizes the opportunity to marry him when her cousin Phoebe leaves him at the alter. But Calder has a secret that may just destroy his marriage before it has even begun...

Review
Cute romance but could have done without the silly misunderstandings.

Deidre and Calder have a smoldering chemistry and their sex scenes are intense and erotic. Unfortunately, the problems begin when they open their
Amber
Apr 09, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 5-star-reads
[close] The dangerously beautiful Deirdre Cantor is determined to inherit her grandfather's vast fortune. All she needs is to marry a duke...and be the first granddaughter to walk down the aisle. After all, she has always dreamed of becoming a member of the haute ton.

So when the proper Calder Marbrook, the Marquis of Brookhaven and future Duke of Brookmoor, is abandoned at the altar, Deirdre makes it her business to become his wife--in spite of the whispers about his past.

Soon Deirdre's
Sarai
Apr 21, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: historical romance lovers
Recommended to Sarai by: Katie(babs)
Louisa
Jan 29, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great book, I can't wait to see Sophie get her HEA, and hopefully the Butler/Lady's Maid romance starts, and is good!
Bonnie G.
ETA: This was so not worthwhile that I repurchased it at a used book sale with no memory of having read it. I just came to look at the reviews and saw that I had read it and had a lot of feelings.

I am a big Celeste Bradley fan so it pains me to give a sub-middling review to one of her books, but what's a girl to do? This book seems like it was written by two people or by one writer who started it, put it in a drawer, and finished up 10 years later.

The first half of the book is largely boring
Ada
Oct 26, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
stella yip
Mar 01, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: celeste-bradley, epub
it's nice to see how the duke is being warmed up by his wife because he is such a cold person. oh well, you couldn't blame him, right? after all, his first wife is dead, fiancee had run away with his younger brother, it'll make anyone to become cold and distant from the others. he was so hurt from the woman that keep leaving him that he become more guarded with his heart. therefore, it's good that the heroine can break through his guard and can manage to love him as well. not many people can do ...more
L8blmr
Jun 26, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I wasn't sure what to expect from this book after I saw that it had managed only about a 3.5 or so cumulative rating. Well, I was pleasantly surprised and enjoyed reading it. It had humor, love, spice and sizzle and not too many annoying devices found in so many historical romances. I think this author is underappreciated and hope that she will one day be "discovered" by some of my friends here who enjoy this genre.
Mary Vilarino
May 28, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

The second book of "The Heiress Brides" was an excellent read. I kept wanting to know what challenges Deidre sent Calder's way. I was enchanted with how she let herself develop and be less afraid. I was especially charmed with Lady Margaret and her fighting spirit. This is a book to keep.
MountainKat
Very enjoyable. The characters might have been difficult to like or understand without the insight into their internal dialogues - thank goodness for those! In the end I was very happy with their ending and it made me happy.

I listened to the audio and enjoyed Susan Ericksen's narration.
April
A delicious Regency read!! Engaging characters and an entertaining plot line. Nice amount of steam to keep the story popping!

I love a lively historical with all the pomp and circumstance! Really enjoyable read!

A fun series.
Dancer
Jun 17, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Deirdre Cantor and Calder Marbrook are sensual and exciting. The chase scene is well worth the read. I missed reading the first one in this series, and I keep putting it off because Calder is rejected in it. He was a man in need of someone to really love him. He is almost a "cave man" at times.
Kesha
Feb 08, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: re-read
I like this book very much. Loved little Meggie, she was adorably hilarious.
Nessa
Jun 23, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
THIS STARTED OUT AS A BUNGLING MESS BUT MADE UP FOR IT WHEN THE CHARACTERS CONFRONTED EACH OTHER AND ACTUALLY DEALT WITH THEIR SITUATION. THIS WOULD HAVE TURNED OUT INTO A FRUSTRATING, BAD BODICE RIPPER TYPE OF NOVEL IF IT DIDNT.

HERO has been groomed as his father's heir his whole life. In other words, he is VERY INEPT with portraying emotions and giving affections. Least to say, he's good at ordering people about and not asking nicely. He's not a bad man, in fact sometimes you just want him to
Lita Acevedo
Oct 27, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really liked this book though I almost didn't read it. I read the third book in this trilogy first and thought this would be a waste of time since I already knew how it would turn out. But I'm glad I did read it because, knowing how it would end wasn't as impressive or entertaining as the story itself. Diedre knew she was in love with the Duke and wanted him so she proposed to him. No spoiler there since that happens in the first chapter. The real story is everything that happens after they ...more
Nancy Brooks
This is an enjoyable read but I preferred #1 in the series. I get frustrated when failure to communicate results in a myriad of pitfalls. The beginning of the book really does not follow so well the end of the previous book. Calder is made to appear a victim of a runaway bride when he had admitted his part in taking Phoebe from his half brother Rafe. That is acknowledged in the end. This is Marquis Calder's and Deirdre's story. It begins abruptly with Deirdre proposing just as Rafe and Phoebe ...more
Jun 16, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4 Stars

This book had quiet a slow start and I wasn't sure if I was really going to enjoy it. There was so much miscommunication between Calder and Dee that it got rather annoying.

While the miscommunication and not telling each other the full truth did continue, the last 30% of the book makes up for that. Calder's daughter Maggie is the highlight of this book, in my opinion, and I just adored her.
Blondie
the book was made better for me because it was narrated by Susan Erickson. Even then I enjoyed it more because of the little girl Maggie 😊
Janet Robel
Great story, great romance. So far, I'm enjoying this series.
Nancy Messina
Feb 10, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book had its ups and downs. I felt though that the characters grew and realized their mistakes which is why I am giving this a 4.
Estance Moriarty
This was simply delightful !
bedlambelle
This author uses imprecise language and I don't like it. For example, a male character in the book uses the word "inclined," when wishing he could smooth things over (he said he was not "inclined" to do so). Inclined has two meanings; a wish or desire to do something, or a tendency to do something. The man was thinking he did not have the skill or practice at smoothing things over. However, the use of the word "inclined" just felt like nails on a chalkboard because I typically read "inclined" as ...more
Elis Madison
Sir Hamish Pickering died a couple generations ago, but not before making a ridiculous will. He somehow had scads of money (dumb must've paid well in those days), and his will settles twiddle on his female descendants and even less than twiddle on the malesunless

The first female descendant who marries a duke, or marries a guy who eventually becomes a duke, inherits the whole bundle. And if anybody speaks of the terms of the will outside the family, the money goes to pay the fines of smugglers.
Laurie
Aubrey Brown
Jul 28, 2013 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I found this book at a dollar store. Not a good sign to begin with. I read on the cover it was a best seller. I thought I would give it a shot for a buck. Now I wished I hadn't. There is zero chemistry between the main characters. The Heroin acts like a child, that leads me to believe she is a stalking maniac. The Hero is a jackass, there is no redeeming quality about him. He treats his brand-new bride just like a child, and it borders on incestuous. He threatens to take away her new dresses and ...more
TINNGG
May 25, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: historical
3. Eh, could have done without the lovelorn idiot. The H/h had enough on their plates breaking down mutual walls without his presence, even if it did provide a convenient excuse for the H to act all out of character, curse like a sailor and be heroic instead of the stick. On the other hand, if it weren't for the idiot, the H would never have doubted the h in the first place, etc.

And I still don't know what makes the H tick. He's all built up in self-superiority I guess. But why? No - really. Are
Lillian Slater
A sweet, touching romance of Regency time era.
« previous 1 3 next »
Goodreads Librari...: Please combine 2 14 Nov 29, 2013 11:32PM

• The Wicked Duke (Wicked Trilogy, #3)
  • A Lady Awakened (Blackshear Family, #1)
  • The Wicked Wallflower (Bad Boys & Wallflowers, #1)
  • The Countess (Madison Sisters #1)
  • Once Upon a Christmas Eve (Maiden Lane, #10.7)
  • Bedding Lord Ned (Duchess of Love, #1)
  • When the Duke Was Wicked (Scandalous Gentlemen of St. James, #1)
  • Mad, Bad, and Dangerous in Plaid (Scandalous Highlanders, #3)
  • Diary of an Accidental Wallflower (Seduction Diaries, #1)
  • Her Highness and the Highlander (The Princess Brides, #2)
  • Potent Pleasures (Pleasures, #1)
  • Irresistible (Horsemen Trilogy, #3)
  • Make Me Love You
  • Once Upon a Tower (Fairy Tales, #5)
  • Sinful in Satin (The Rarest Blooms #3)
  • Lady Bridget's Diary (Keeping Up with the Cavendishes, #1)
  • The Princess and the Peer (The Princess Brides, #1)
  • The Study of Seduction (Sinful Suitors, #2)
Visit me at www.CelesteBradley.com or facebook.com/CelesteBradleyAuthor :)
Go to CelesteBradley.com/newsletter for my Voice of Society newsletter.

Hi, my name is Celeste Bradley and I write "brain chocolate." That is, I write fun and sexy escapism is for hardworking women everywhere. We deserve a little man-candy, too!

Reviewers like to say I write about misfit heroines getting the man of their

Heiress Brides (3 books)
  • Desperately Seeking a Duke (Heiress Brides, #1)
  • Duke Most Wanted (Heiress Brides, #3)