Start by marking “Blood Is The Sky (Alex McKnight, #5)” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
Blood Is The Sky

Steve Hamilton

Blood Is The Sky (Alex McKnight #5)

4.1  ·  Rating details ·  2,725 Ratings  ·  175 Reviews
When a fire is done, what’s left is only half-destroyed. It is charred and brittle. It is obscene. There is nothing so ugly in all the world as what a fire leaves behind, covered in ashes and smoke and a smell you’ll think about every day for the rest of your life.

Reluctant investigator Alex McKnight finds himself drawn by friendship into a long drive north. The brother of
Audio CD
Published June 10th 2004 by Brilliance Audio (first published January 1st 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Blood Is The Sky, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Blood Is The Sky

Matt Allen
Feb 14, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014-reads
Steve Hamilton writes clean, full-blooded stories. It's impressive how he packs so much of an experience into relatively few words.

I admit it had been a bit since I'd read the last Alex McKnight and I'd forgotten how much I like Hamilton's style. Light prose that packs a great punch. Blood is the Sky is more of the same. I mean this is only a good way--I don't know if I've read a book of this length (barely over three hundred pages for the mass market paperback) that left me feeling as if I'd b
Maureen DeLuca
Oct 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An over all 5 star read- 4 for the story line and then I added 1 more for a great series , great characters - all around great novel.... Keep them coming Steve Hamilton.... I just cannot get enough of Alex McKnight !! I'm sure so many others feel the same way too !!
Anita
Apr 04, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: detective
I picked up this paperback and was pleasantly surprised. "An Alex McKnight novel" Vinnie is searching for a brother who went to Canada as a guide for 'businessmen from Detroit'. I loved the combination of hard-core city cop and reservation culture. Good stuff.
Cindy
Jan 27, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
There are several reasons why I like Steve Hamilton's books: 1) Set in the UP in places that I have visited. 2) Simple dialogue and description...one needs a break from James Lee Burke occasionally! 3) Interesting plots and lots of action 4) I just like the way Alex McKnight thinks and talks. Quick, easy, satisfying read. And contrary to what others may say, the books don't have to be read in order. There is enough background to explain who the recurring characters are.
Gloria Feit
Jul 11, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What are friends for? Well, Alex McKnight demonstrates just that in this novel which takes him and his erstwhile friend, Vinnie Le Blanc, on a stormy adventure way up in the wilds of northern Canada. It starts when Vinnie, with whom Alex has been at odds since an event in the previous novel in the series, asks Alex to help him find his brother, who is days overdue returning home after accompanying a hunting party as their scout at a Canadian lodge.

To complicate matters, Vinnie’s brother Tom is o
Jacki (Julia Flyte)
This is the 5th book in the Alex McKnight series by Steve Hamilton and if you are new to the series, consider yourself lucky (but start at the beginning, with A Cold Day In Paradise). This one picks up shortly after North of Nowher as Alex is rebuilding his cabin. His friend Vinnie asks Alex to travel to Canada with him to help find his brother, who has not returned from a hunting expedition.

It's a thrilling read, one of those books that keeps your up late, turning the pages. The first two third
Jerry
Aug 25, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is my third novel by Steve Hamilton, and the second in the Alex McKnight series. Steve Hamilton is a great writer, I really enjoy his style. This one is set deep in the Canadian wilderness, with a focus on the relationship between Alex and his good friend and neighbor Vinnie. They take a break from rebuilding Alex's cabin to go find out what has happened to Vinnie's brother, who has gone missing up in the Canadian wilderness. A convicted felon on parole, Vinnie's brother Tom has assumed Vi ...more
Judith
Apr 18, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
One of the few mysteries set in the upper peninsula of Michigan, where I grew up. I didn't realize that when I bought it.

Alex McKnight is prevailed upon to find a friend's missing brother, who had taken a group of Detroit businessmen on a hunting trip in the wilds of Canada. The more Alex and his friend, Vinnie LeBlanc, look into this the stranger and more dangerous it appears. Alex and Vinnie find themselves far from any help and sitting ducks as targets.

Complicated, absorbing. And with the bi
Harry Roger Williams III
Another gripping adventure. Another chance for series hero Alex McKnight to test the limits of human recuperation and recovery.
This is a hero who suffers without the assurance of survival. He tells you how badly he is hurt, but never says "It's not supposed to be this way."
Bill Belichick says "It is what it is." Alex McKnight says "Pain is not as important as justice." Justice for him is not revenge but rather setting things right when possible, especially when it comes to his friends.
We should
Lynette Barfield
Nov 20, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

Light entertaining action. Not as good as some of his others but still Very readable. Good friends, good food and a certain amount of humor as well as interesting locations help to keep up the suspense and action. I like his writing style a lot.
Madison Mega-Mara...: Blood is the Sky 1 2 Jan 30, 2012 03:08AM
  • Blue Wolf in Green Fire (Woods Cop, #2)
  • Thunder Bay (Cork O'Connor, #7)
  • The Hanging Tree
  • Out Of Range (Joe Pickett, #5)
  • The Poacher's Son (Mike Bowditch, #1)
  • Tonight I Said Goodbye (Lincoln Perry, #1)
  • The James Deans (Moe Prager, #3)
EXIT STRATEGY, the second book in the Nick Mason series, will be released on May 16, 2017.
More about Steve Hamilton...

Alex McKnight (10 books)
  • A Cold Day in Paradise (Alex McKnight, #1)
  • Winter of the Wolf Moon (Alex McKnight, #2)
  • The Hunting Wind (Alex McKnight, #3)
  • North of Nowhere (Alex McKnight, #4)
  • Ice Run (Alex McKnight, #6)
  • A Stolen Season (Alex McKnight, #7)
  • Misery Bay (Alex McKnight, #8)
  • Die a Stranger (Alex McKnight, #9)
  • Let it Burn (Alex McKnight, #10)
“It was a lesson I had taken most of my life to learn. Sometimes you have to let things go.” 5 likes