Start by marking “The Angel Experiment (Maximum Ride, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Angel Experiment (Maximum Ride, #1)

The Angel Experiment (Maximum Ride #1)

4.08  ·  Rating details ·  192,938 Ratings  ·  8,961 Reviews
Fourteen-year-old Maximum Ride, better known as Max, knows what it's like to soar above the world. She and all the members of the "Flock"--Fang, Iggy, Nudge, Gasman and Angel--are just like ordinary kids--only they have wings and can fly. It may seem like a dream come true to some, but their lives can morph into a living nightmare at any time--like when Angel, the youngest ...more
Published 2007 by Little, Brown (first published April 11th 2005)

To ask other readers questions about The Angel Experiment, please sign up.
Carole Yes they do have wings. Supposedly very pretty ones, they are all similar to a real bird's wing. They can fold them up and hide them under baggy…moreYes they do have wings. Supposedly very pretty ones, they are all similar to a real bird's wing. They can fold them up and hide them under baggy wind-breakers like they do a lot if you read the entire series. I recommend you do if you haven't already :).(less)

Joe
Aug 12, 2008 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: individuals with a high tolerance for bad writing
Now this is a terrible book.

Written with all the wit and grace of a one-legged puppy, Maximum Ride: The Angel Experiment reveals its intentions within the first chapter alone. This is not a book of striking prose or even serviceable but entertaining MOR lit. It is merely a cash cow, another mindless series designed to appeal to reluctant readers. It is, in a word, soulless.

Maximum Ride follows the adventures of six children, each of whom is the product of a genetic experiment: they are 98% human
Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin
Well that wasn't too bad!

You have six kids that are human and have some bird in them. Huh, and all this time I thought they were angels 😄 Goes to show you have to read to know.

I'm glad this was on one of my challenge lists because I have wanted to read it. I think I will keep checking them out on Overdrive to see what else happens. I mean they all escaped and have people/things after them.

Happy Reading!

Mel ❤
Lola
Nov 28, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a book I always thought I wouldn’t enjoy.

I saw it numerous times at my former high school’s library and, each time I came across it, I would let my fingers linger on the cover, a pensive expression on my face, and think, ‘‘Naaaah, not for me.’’

Boy was I wrong not to read it YEARS ago. ‘‘The Angel Experiment’’ is such a fast-paced, action-packed, well, RIDE.

I thought it would be about actual angels, but that’s not what Max and her friends are. They are literal experiments with bird genes
Jenny
Jan 20, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
OK. I thought this was going to be a lame cheese fest. I mean, James Patterson? I know kids seem to like the series OK, and even a couple adults have recommended it to me. But I figured it wasn't my bag.
I'm not sure why. Genetically engineered mutant kids with wings escaping from evil scientists and fighting super strong werewolf-like soldiers. What's not to like? I couldn't put it down. Fast paced, exciting, kind of horrifying and a lot better written than I expected. I'm totally reading the n
Allison
Take a bit of the child-like innocence vs. evil of Harry Potter, some of the artificially-created destiny from Ender's Game, throw in the flying fantasies from Eragon and mix them in with Patterson's trademark flippant characterization, and you've got Maximum Ride.

This is the book I'm going to recommend when everyone's recovering from the end of Harry Potter later this month. Really. It's that good. And the best part is there are two more books after this one. There's already a waiting list for
Khadidja
2.5 Stars!

“The funny thing about facing imminent death is that it really snaps everything else into perspective.”

Well that was fun, i LOVED MAX she was great, annoying at times. but funny, and loving big sister. The writing was okay, The story had potential but was poorly executed.

Angelc
Sep 24, 2009 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This book was okay, but I just felt like it didn't have a lot of substance. I didn't really take anything away from it, almost like it didn't have a lot of deep meaning. And it wasn't terribly entertaining, either. I just would have liked the characters to be a little deeper, I guess. I doubt I will read the rest of the series.

Reviewed for: http://inthehammockblog.blogspot.com/
Jasmine
I want you, the reader, to take a moment and scroll down to the lists this novel has been shelved in. “Best Young Adult Books,” “Best Books Ever,” “What To Read After Harry Potter,” “Best Female Lead Characters,” and “Best Science Fiction & Fantasy Books”. If you haven’t guessed by the titles, these are pretty big and popular lists. If you click into them and view the lists, you will see that this book is pretty high up the ranks. And if you looked behind the book, you’ll see raving review a ...more
Emily May
May 30, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: dnf, young-adult, sci-fi

Nothing massively wrong with it but the writing was just way too young for me.
Mizuki
Do Not Finish at page 145.

I want to finish this book, but after a while I remember life is too short for reading one crappy book after another.

If I read The Angel Experiment when I was 12 years old, I guess I would have been oh-so impressed.

But readers who possess the mental maturity of a 13 years old or above are free to skip this book.

And James Patterson, I'm blacklisting you. I will not read any other of your books. Trick me one, shame on you; trick me twice, shame on me.
Jared Vincent Lacaran
Sep 08, 2011 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: no-one
This is a really terrible book. It's even worse than the whole Twilightand Eragon series combined together. The plot is extremely obnoxious, it features cardboard characters, and it has awfully absurd twists. It's dialogues are really horrible, like an old man trying very hard to sound young. this book is very,very,very badly written. A 12 year old could probably do better. The battle scenes, if you could call them that, are also poorly written and not realistic. Not even in the least. This book ...more
Jane
Jun 27, 2007 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fantasy fans twelve years and up
One of my students recommended this book, and while I was intrigued by the premise, and the fact that the protagonist is a female action hero, I found the dialogue beyond basic (only an adult would imagine that kids really communicate like this) and the plot was a liitle repetitious. it's part of a trilogy - but I don't care enough about these characters to read more.
Denae Christine
Jan 30, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: the rebellious at heart
Reader thoughts: Max is a sarcastic and tough teen with amazing wings. She's leader of her flock of bird kids, and they work hard to stay away from the troublesome adult scientists. Max struggles to keep her flock together, discover her destiny, and save the world while she's at it.

Finding their parents would be a nice bonus, too, if only the whitecoats would stop trying to kill them.

(Sadly, only the first 3 books of the series are good. But they are so good!)

Writer thoughts: It's amazing that
Mario
Oct 08, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own, own-read
Warning:
If you dare to read his story,
you become part of the Experiment.
I know that sounds a little mysterious-
but it’s all I can say right now.
-Max

I read a lot of Patterson adult thrillers, and after a while, I kind of got bored of him (I mean how many sequels can a book have?!). So, with that said, I had really low expectations for this one, but the book really took me by surprise. This book is just pure fun. 400 pages of action packed fun, that leaves you wanting more. I also found out that I
Sella Malin
Dec 12, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Whoa!!! This book is sooo good. It's really, really, REALLY fast-paced and action-packed. Even the very first chapter throws you headfirst into straight-on action. It's a very easy read, with short chapters that flow right into the other with cliffhangers. It's not something you can start/stop reading; once you start, there's no turning bag. You're dragged into the story from the very first page, willingly or not, and nothing can tear you from the book- only forceful things, like school, homewor ...more
 Danielle The Book Huntress (Back to the Books)
Oct 01, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Readers of YA adventure/science fiction novels
Recommended to Danielle The Book Huntress (Back to the Books) by: Diane (firefly)
Alright, I thought the narration on this book was way cheesy initially. But, like the bookcrazy girl I am who is a sucker for a good story, I got sucked in.

This book is many things:

*Fun aimed at kids, but fun that an adult who isn't terribly cynical and superior could enjoy.
*Penetrating, insightful look at human nature and society (don't laugh--it is).
*Utterly disturbing view of the unscrupulous applications of modern science. I truly did feel my stomach lurch at some of the experimentation on
Stephen
1.5 stars. On the "plus" side, this novel has a very interesting premise and the book was a very fast read. On the "negative" side, there is not a whole lot of substance to the story and the character development is weak. I was really hoping that the author would do something really great with the very cool concept of children genetically enhanced with avain DNA, but it just didn't happen. Bottom-line, the book, while not horrible, was one I really didn't like.
Hope
Feb 08, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone with any sense of humor or adventure.
Recommended to Hope by: Jensen Schlabach
The only reason this book doesn't get five stars from me is because I'm so confused by some things. But I liked it A LOT. A lot a lot.

First, I didn't feel like it really went anywhere. It's like you can tell it's trying to go somewhere but it's not really doing it.
Basically, this book was just full of the flock running, getting caught, running, getting beat up, running, getting chased by the cops, running... Over and over. After a while it was kind of predictable (not to mention painful). It t
Jennifer Carafa
Feb 20, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: young-adult
Mith
A bizarre plot with a terrible beginning. Without any sort of background we are plunged into action. It works for Riordan but unfortunately not here. Could not bring myself to read past the first 20 pages.

P.S - Mr. Patterson? Kids do NOT speak like that. You just sound like an adult trying too hard to talk in a way he thinks kids these days might talk.
Bad sentence formation just now, you say? Yeah, that about sums up your book.
luhvBOOKS
Feb 24, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Title: The Angel Experiment

Author: James Patterson

Series: Maximum Ride #1

Rating: ★★★★★

Summary: In James Patterson's blockbuster series, fourteen-year-old Maximum Ride, better known as Max, knows what it's like to soar above the world. She and all the members of the "flock"--Fang, Iggy, Nudge, Gasman and Angel--are just like ordinary kids--only they have wings and can fly. It may seem like a dream come true to some, but their lives can morph into a living nightmare at any time...like when Angel,
Caitlin
Jul 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 5-stars, favorites
This series is a mess. The author took it in such a weird direction and really should have stopped after 3 books. However, this series (especially this book) was actually the reason I got so heavily into reading. I was in grade 6 at school (age 11) when my friend in grade 7 told me they were reading this book in class. I begged mum to buy it for me because my friend really loved it. By the time I got to grade 7 and read it in class, I had already read the first 3 books in the series. I actually ...more
Iris
Nov 23, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is my first James Patterson, so I'm not entirely sure about his writing style, but I guess the way he's written this book was as if it was the protagonist. Patterson writes in the voice of the girl hero Maximum Ride, and ends mostly with small cliffhangers, which compels the readers to continue reading. (I couldn't really put it down; I kept wanting to find out what happened to the characters.)
Patterson didn't only place small cliffhangers at the end of the chapters, he added a huge one for
Phrynne
Dec 06, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I usually really enjoy YA books but this one was more young than it was adult and occasionally irritating because of that. Initially I thought I had picked up the series on the second book because of constant references to what has happened before. I ended up wondering why the author had not started his story at the beginning. His characters were also very poorly drawn which made it difficult to be concerned about any of them. The story did become reasonably exciting and I read through to the en ...more
Marian
Jan 25, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
THIS IS ONE OF THE BEST BOOK SERIES IN THE UNIVERSE OF HUMAN (AND OTHER) KIND!!!!!! yeah.....IM NOT OBSESIVE!! read them....
Duane
James Patterson's contribution to young adult fantasy. It's actually pretty good. I guess if you are a good writer you can write anything.
Ally (The Scribbling Sprite)
Slightly Snarky review to come. Definitely do not feel the same way about it as I did in Middle School.

Update: I didn't finish this book the second time around. And I've come to the realization that my Middle School self had different tastes and opinions than my current self.

What's that? You want to me to provide some examples? Well, if you insist...

Here are my opinions on....

THE PLOT

Middle School self: OMGersh, so exciting!

Current, sarcastic self: While hearing everyone talk to each other abou
Kahleia Corpuz
Sep 28, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It would've been enjoyable if I didn't read the manga and got all the spoilers from that. Also, the chapters weren't very effective when it came to the cliffhangers at the end of it because there were 3 pages in every chapter or less. Personally, I enjoyed this a little less than the manga because it was perfect in that form. It's a very action packed book that deserves the pictures in that manga.
Brigid ✩ Cool Ninja Sharpshooter ✩
- I need to go on a re-reviewing spree soon. Gosh, my old review made me sound like a huge idiot. YAY. This will be fun. -
George Jankovic
Nov 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What an action-packed book!

Max (Maximum Ride) is one of six kids who were genetically engineered to be able to fly. The kids are all different but care for each other deeply as a family since they've never had another family. They don't even know if they were test tube babies or if they had parents. How did they end up in the institution that experimented on them? That is just one of the mysteries that exist in the book.

While I loved the pace and the cat-and-mouse game they play with their hunte
Books Are Our Fri...: The Angel Experiment 8 3 Aug 08, 2018 06:58PM
Can't add this book to my shelf 1 1 Jul 17, 2018 11:17PM
Maximum ride movie ever coming out? 354 1165 Jun 25, 2018 01:34PM
UCAS English 10 H...: January Reading Assignment 1 3 Jan 10, 2018 09:15PM
UCAS English 10 H...: November Reading Assignment 1 5 Dec 11, 2017 02:36PM
UCAS English 10 H...: November Reading Assignment 1 5 Dec 11, 2017 02:36PM
  • Turnabout
  • The Lost City of Faar (Pendragon, #2)
  • Ninth Grade Slays (The Chronicles of Vladimir Tod, #2)
  • Ark Angel (Alex Rider, #6)
  • Heir Apparent (Rasmussem Corporation, #2)
  • Mississippi Jack: Being an Account of the Further Waterborne Adventures of Jacky Faber, Midshipman, Fine Lady, and Lily of the West (Bloody Jack, #5)
  • The Cry of the Icemark (The Icemark Chronicles, #1)
  • Moonrise (Warriors: The New Prophecy, #2)
  • Epic (Epic, #1)
  • Blue Noon (Midnighters, #3)
  • The Gathering (The New Heroes/Quantum Prophecy, #2)
  • Cryptid Hunters (Marty and Grace, #1)
  • Trickster's Choice (Daughter of the Lioness, #1)
  • The Problem Child (The Sisters Grimm, #3)
  • Code Orange
  • Betrayal (Chasing Yesterday, #2)
Official US Site
Official UK Site
JIMMY Patterson Books
ReadKiddoRead

James Patterson has created more enduring fictional characters than any other novelist writing today, with his Alex Cross, Michael Bennett, Women’s Murder Club, Private, NYPD Red, Daniel X, Maximum Ride, and Middle School series. As of January 2016, he has sold over 375 million books worldwide and currently holds the Guinness World
More about James Patterson

Maximum Ride (9 books)
  • School's Out—Forever (Maximum Ride, #2)
  • Saving the World and Other Extreme Sports (Maximum Ride, #3)
  • The Final Warning (Maximum Ride, #4)
  • Max (Maximum Ride, #5)
  • Fang (Maximum Ride, #6)
  • Angel (Maximum Ride, #7)
  • Nevermore (Maximum Ride, #8)
  • Maximum Ride Forever (Maximum Ride, #9)

Young Adult Deals

• Son of the Dawn (Ghosts of the Shadow Market #1)
    $2.99 $1.49
  • The Jewel (The Lone City, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Mechanica (Mechanica, #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • A Night Divided
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Three Dark Crowns (Three Dark Crowns, #1)
  • The Lotterys Plus One
    $10.99 $1.99
  • The End of Feeling
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Gone (Gone, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Moon Chosen (Tales of a New World #1)
    $8.51 $2.99
  • Deviants (Dust Chronicles #1)
    $4.49 $0.99
  • Before She Ignites (Fallen Isles, #1)
    $6.49 $1.99
  • Slow Dance in Purgatory (Purgatory, #1)
    $4.99 $1.49
  • Just Friends
    $7.80 $2.99
  • For Love and Honor (An Uncertain Choice, #3)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Chemistry Lessons
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Menagerie
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Prom Night in Purgatory (Purgatory, #2)
    $4.99 $1.49
  • Running Barefoot
    $5.95 $1.99
  • The Infinite (Gates of Thread and Stone #2)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Touching Spirit Bear (Spirit Bear, #1)
  • Black Bird of the Gallows
    $7.99 $0.99
  • My Best Friend's Exorcism
  • Liars, Inc.
    $9.99 $1.99
“Because what’s worse than knowing you want something, besides knowing you can never have it?” 1797 likes
“Man, you weigh a freaking ton," he told me. "What've you been eating, rocks?"
"Why, is your head missing some?" I croaked. His mouth almost quirked in a smile, and that's when I knew how upset he'd been”
1719 likes