Start by marking “Scientific Progress Goes "Boink" (Calvin and Hobbes #6)” as Want to Read:
Scientific Progress Goes "Boink" (Calvin and Hobbes #6)

Scientific Progress Goes "Boink"

(Calvin and Hobbes #6)

In this collection, Calvin and his tiger-striped sidekick Hobbes are hilarious whether the two are simply lounging around philosophizing about the future of mankind or plotting their latest money-making scheme. Chock-full of the familiar adventures of Spaceman Spiff, findings of Dad's popularity poll, and time travel to the Jurassic Age, Scientific Progress Goes "Boink" is ...more
Published 1991 by Andrews McMeel Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Scientific Progress Goes "Boink", please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Scientific Progress Goes "Boink"

rahul
Dec 22, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Katie Grace
Mar 08, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 5-star
I LOVE CALVIN AND HOBBES SO MUCH. <3
Eva
Oct 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
It just doesn't get much better than Calvin and Hobbes tbqh.
Dana Salman
Dec 07, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Calvin is a hypocritical, imaginative, dim-whitted, self-centered, insensitive, brutish and rambunctious six-year-old. Hobbes is a sarcastic, peace-loving, supportive, somewhat phsychotic stuffed tiger. Together, the two make a whacky, noisy, messy, hilarious, unforgettable pair.

That's alot of meaningless adjectives, among many, to describe two of my favorite characters in the comic strip department. This book especially had me gripped because it contained one of my favorite 'card-board box' sto
Mark Austin
Jan 21, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Calvin and Hobbes were a bedrock of my childhood. I'm estimating I've read each five times but in reality I'd just grab one at random, open at random, and then be lost in the world of Calvinball and Spaceman Spiff, Suzy Derkins and Moe, fantastic snowmen and philosophical walks in the woods with Hobbes.

As a kid who lived in his imagination to escape the many difficulties of an unstable childhood and crippling depths of introversion, Calvin embodied that side of me (though I was actually mild-man
Raquel
Sep 06, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
'Calvin & Hobbes' é uma das duplas mais afamadas da banda desenhada de todos os tempos, e no entanto ainda não tinha tido verdadeiramente contacto com a história destes dois pequenos traquinas que Bill Watterson nos apresenta. Dois livros depois, dizer que estou rendida aos seus encantos é pouco.

crítica em
Exina
Feb 08, 2012 rated it it was amazing
A great book of the series again! The title story is the best of all!

The Christmas poem is really charming, I love moments like this. :)

Mont'ster
Oct 01, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: EVERYBODY
Shelves: topshelf, comics, humor
Calvin and Hobbes is always good for a laugh when you're down. But the thing that I love most about Bill Watterson's work is that he has the ability to make you laugh and (in the middle of great big belly laughs) he can "make you go hmmm". Hilarious and thoughtful.
Heatherblakely
Dec 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: own
Lots of snowmen and Susie! A+
Prashant
Darn it! Can it get even better?

Ginger
Oct 24, 2015 rated it really liked it
some days you just need to read a good old fashioned comic strip
Scott
Mar 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Always brilliant!
Kevin Keating
Nov 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Watterson probably has to be the best funny comic I've read. Probs the best artist and deepest. Incredible pictures of monsters and has great expression. At least tied with Larson.
Claire
Oct 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
Classic <3
Mary Catelli
Oct 27, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: humor, comic-strips
Another of Bill Watterson's works.

The title noise is that of the duplicator producing copies of Calvin -- who didn't think how copies would act. Also appearing are dreams of waking up, snowballs, floating to the ceiling, and growing enormous.
Susan
Feb 22, 2016 rated it really liked it
I came across this at the local Goodwill and had to see if Calvin was as funny now as I thought he was then. (1991) I am happy to say Calvin is timeless. I loved it! Giggles and smiles all the way through.
Bob Schmitz
Nov 29, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comedy
The second comic book in my post-election blues pre-bed therapy series. My son has only about 6 of these left. What am I going to do when they give out!!!! Help
Kathleen
Jan 10, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2014, anthology, comics, reread
As ever, this is wonderful. The strip where Calvin and Hobbes get a bedtime story about them made me wibble.
Akemi G.
Apr 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I'm going to say it again: Calvin and Hobbes comics are highly intelligent AND funny!
Cindi
Mar 31, 2015 rated it liked it
If you want exposure to some pretty awesome vocabulary, make sure you start reading comics! They are educational AND entertaining! How can you get much better than that?
Rena Sherwood
Jun 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
Back in the 1990s, I (and my boyfriend at the time) absolutely adored Calvin and Hobbes. This is was one of several books my ex had. I read it several times.

And read it again in 2018. It's not so funny anymore. In fact, Calvin is a much bigger brat than I had remembered him being. Hobbes seems more spaced out than I remembered.

Man, growing up ruins EVERYTHING.

description

The one thing that hasn't changed is my appreciation for the incredible artwork Bill Watterson did for a "mere" comic strip. Ever look a
Jaimie
Aug 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
Another great collection of Calvin & Hobbes adventures. Apparently this book is centred around the theme of science (which we all know Calvin is a fan of, what with his exploration of space and time), but it was pretty much a typical mixed bag of comics that cover all themes. We get a bit of Susie, a dash of the Boys Only Club, plenty of mutilated snowmen and whining about Winter not coming soon enough, a bit of drama with the ever-abused babysitter, and more than enough high-jinx to satisfy ...more
James Buscher
Feb 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-in-2017
I loved Calvin and Hobbes as a kid and have revisited these comics many times. They just keep getting richer. Watterson's genius is not nearly appropriately appreciated. He uses everything from simple visual gags, to rich character comedy, to social and philosophical criticism, to very touching and poignant strips that demonstrate deep family love, sometimes without a single word. These comics have always made me laugh, but now, with a bit more life and a son of my own, a few got me pretty choke ...more
Kevin
Nov 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This was the Calvin and Hobbes collection that started it all for me. Sometime in sixth or seventh grade I picked up a wrinkled copy of it from my library and read the strips in no particular order. The comic is just as hilarious to me now, at thirty-seven, as it was when I was twelve, but there's also a certain sweetness and, at times, wistfulness, that I pick up on more now than I did when I was a kid.
Odhran
Jan 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book also goes boink. Probably. It's good, anyways.
Troy
Apr 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fantastic comic strip collection. How can you not like these two?!?
Jeff Suter
Oct 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Just think, lots of duplicates of ME - delightful I am sure you will agree. Won't you?
Ava Clarke
Aug 02, 2017 rated it liked it
It was a super funny book

Who was your favourite character in the book?:
Hobbes

Help me find this book 1 22 Jan 01, 2013 10:03AM
  • Wiener Dog Art
  • The Night of the Mary Kay Commandos: A Bloom County Book
  • Take Us to Your Mall : A FoxTrot Collection
Bill Watterson (born William Boyd Watterson II) is an American cartoonist, and the author of the comic strip "Calvin and Hobbes". His career as a syndicated cartoonist ran from 1985 to 1995; he stopped drawing "Calvin and Hobbes" at the end of 1995 with a short statement to newspaper editors and his fans that he felt he had achieved all he could in the comic strip medium. During the early years of ...more

Calvin and Hobbes (1 - 10 of 11 books)
  • Calvin and Hobbes (Calvin and Hobbes #1)
  • Something Under the Bed is Drooling (Calvin and Hobbes #2)
  • Yukon Ho! (Calvin and Hobbes #3)
  • Weirdos from Another Planet! (Calvin and Hobbes #4)
  • The Revenge of the Baby-Sat (Calvin and Hobbes #5)
  • Attack of the Deranged Mutant Killer Monster Snow Goons
  • The Days Are Just Packed
  • Homicidal Psycho Jungle Cat (Calvin and Hobbes #9)
  • There's Treasure Everywhere (Calvin and Hobbes #10)
  • It's a Magical World (Calvin and Hobbes #11)
“You know, sometimes the world seems like a pretty mean place.'

'That's why animals are so soft and huggy.”
541 likes
“[Calvin and Hobbes are playing Scrabble.]
Calvin: Ha! I've got a great word and it's on a "Double word score" box!
Hobbes: "ZQFMGB" isn't a word! It doesn't even have a vowel!
Calvin: It is so a word! It's a worm found in New Guinea! Everyone knows that!
Hobbes: I'm looking it up.
Calvin: You do, and I'll look up that 12-letter word you played with all the Xs and Js!
Hobbes: What's your score for ZQFMGB?
Calvin: 957.”