Start by marking “The Lost Children” as Want to Read:
The Lost Children

Read Excerpt

The Lost Children

Josephine Russing owns 387 pairs of gloves. She's given a new pair every week by her father, a sullen man known best for his insistence that the citizens in town wear gloves at all times.

A world away, the children of Gulm have been taken. No one knows where they might be, except the mysterious and terrifying leader of the land: The Master. He rules with an iron fist, usi
Published February 9th 2010 by Aladdin (first published January 15th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about The Lost Children, please sign up.

Start your review of The Lost Children
Chloe
Feb 26, 2013 rated it it was amazing
MY VERY FAVORITE BOOK OF ALL TIME!!!!
I WANT TO GIVE IT LIKE 20 MILLION STARS!!!!! Please write another!!!!!
Melissa Chung
Nov 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: owned
I really liked this book. It wasn't without flaws, but I definitely recommend! Giving this middle grade a solid 4 stars!

The Lost Children starts off a bit slow. It's about a girl named Josephine who lives in a town where everyone has to wear gloves. Her father owns a glove factory and MAKES everyone in the town wear gloves too. People hate him and the kids hate Josephine because of the gloves. Now this beginning sounds super dopey, but it comes back around eventually.

One
Kristen
Jun 04, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Why I read this: It looked like a fun time-travel middle grade fiction, so I thought I'd give it a read. :)

Plot: I have to say, I really like time-travel plots, especially in children's novels. You get the best of both worlds, adventure and usually some glances into different cultures. This plot had some great adventure, some very cool worlds to explore, and a bad guy that I would have never thought up in a million years.

Characters: I'm going to start with the bad guy on
Bridget R. Wilson
Twelve-year-old Josephine Russing has accepted certain circumstances in her life. She must always wear gloves. (It's a law!) Her father ignores her. She doesn't have any friends. But that all changes one day with the arrival of a mute boy called Fargus. When searching for him, Josephine finds herself transported into a parallel universe where children are scarce and everyone fears the "Master." With Fargus and his friend Ida by her side, Josephine intends to solve the mystery of the "Master" and ...more
Aug 04, 2012 rated it it was ok
One of the more confused plots I've ever read. The setting could do with some grounding, and the confusion isn't helped by the fact that the back blurb is wrong. Gulm is a town, not a world. Who even knows what's going on with the world setting. Is this an alternate world? For sure? Why don't we know for sure right from the get-go? Since we have no basis for what's "normal" in the book, we don't even necessarily know what's abnormal. Which is something we need, since that would build suspense, l ...more
Coral
Apr 10, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Honestly, this is one of my favorite books of all time. It is filled with adventure, friendship, and a little humor. There was not a single page where I became bored or ever wanted to put the book down. If you start reading this, you have to read the entire thing because the ending is priceless! I highly recommend this book. It is the perfect length and is one of my favorite genres. 5 stars all the way!
James Maxon
Sep 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This review is from my 8-year-old daughter:

"My teacher read this book to my third grade class. I gave it 5-starts because it was interesting and cool how the author put some of her life experiences into her book. Also because it was creative and she put a lot of thought into the story. My favorite character was Ida because she was super funny. I was surprised at the ending, never bored with the story, and look forward to the second book when it comes out."
Cat8
Feb 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I read this in like 5th or 6th grade and it is still my favorite book. I love it so much. If I had to read 1 book over and over again, it would be this one. I hope you give it a read, yes you, the person reading this right now.
Julia Drake
Feb 10, 2010 rated it it was amazing
From the first page The Lost Children takes you into a world, so rich with texture, emotion, and suspense, you never want to leave. I'm so glad that there will be a sequel.
Donna
May 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
I was drawn to this book while at the library. I didn't really read the synopsis so I had no expectations going into it. So I was pleasantly surprised with a plot that involved time travel and travel to other worlds.

Josephine
Honestly, I wasn't sure if I liked this character at times. She seemed too weak and indecisive. She didn't seem to have that inner voice that told her that things were off or wrong. She would rather blindly hope things and people were good.

Ida
Now Ida was the strong heroine that
Brianna Cronyn
Currently, I am on page one hundred. There are many scenarios where I completely relate to Josephine Russing. In the beginning, she talks about how she is picked on for her dad making the law that they all always have to wear gloves. Giving that I am roughly her age and many people who are reading this novel probably are, I'm sure it isn't just me who could relate to being embarrassed by people you are affiliated with. One thing I appreciate about young Josephine is how she is sad but she can st ...more
Megan K
Jan 25, 2010 rated it it was amazing
I absolutely loved this book. The characters are vibrant, and Cohagan transports you along with them for a journey through a mysterious and fascinating world full of creatures and stories you'd never imagine. It was hard to put this book down, and I looked forward to the next time I would get the chance to pick it up again. When it came to that sad time when a book is nearing its end, I was pleased to find that it had a beautiful ending, with a heartfelt and meaningful message. Brilliant and a m ...more
Taylor Golembiewski
Josephine is a girl who lives with only her dad, away from everyone else. Her dad is the most hated man in town because he made the ridiculous law that you have to wear gloves all the time. Josephine's life was pretty boring until a strange little boy walked into her life. he lead her to her scary shed that magically teleported her to another place. If you liked the book, "Chronicles of Narnia", you'll love this book.
Noemi
Apr 12, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This book is a good inspiration for us kids to start reading. When I saw this book,I had started reading it and I had told myself that this is one of the best books that I had ever read. I like the plot and the dialogue because it gives lots of details and I am able to understand what is going on in the story.
Victory
Mar 13, 2014 rated it it was amazing
this is my favorite book I ever read.
It's kind of twisted but the story about Josephine's father gets untangled and it really makes sense better.
I couldn't stop reading this book!!
It was one of my candidate for MCBA voting!!
If you didn't read it, I think you should!
Or else, I'm pretty sure you'll regret it!
Gecy O.
Apr 19, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I have read this book twice. The first time was when I first brought it, and a second time a few years later to fully understand the story. It was very magical, and it had a few plot twists. I loved this book, and I suggest you read this is you love fantasy/magical books! 5 stars from me!
Sep 23, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy
I thought this book was a fun read. I liked the characters and story. The only reason I didn't give it a higher rating was because I still had a few questions and they didn't get answered at the end.
Pamela Powell
A great premise and most of the book was fantastic.... However, the ending left me rather confused and disappointed. It felt too rushed and contrived. I enjoyed most of the story very much.
Maria
Sep 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Dear Ms. Cohagan,

Thank you for visiting my class last week. I really enjoyed it. I loved reading The Lost Children. My favorite part was when we found out some surprises about the characters. My favorite character is Ida, because she is strong, brave and courageous. I recommend this book because it's an amazing book with a lot of action.
Daniela
Aug 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The book The Lost Children by Carolyn Cohagan was a long book. I liked this book but sometimes i got confused of where the girl was. My favorite character was the girl that was going through these different places. Her name is Josephine Russing. I liked her because she never gave up on trying to get home. “And when you grow up one day," her mother would always add, "you might be lucky enough to be shot by someone you love.” I like it because it was something that i always wanted and this was jus ...more
LobsterQuadrille
May 26, 2015 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: fantasy fans, children's lit fans, fans of "Coraline"
Savannah S.
Oct 07, 2014 rated it really liked it
A girl named Josephine is forced to live by her fathers laws. Yes laws. Everyone in town must wear gloves. Every week she is given a new pair of gloves by her father. He's a cold-hearted man who barely even makes the effort to make sure Josephine is alive. Then one day before her father came home a boy named Fargus is found in her yard. But there's a difficulty, he can't talk. Or just doesn't. Not one single word ever. Josephine is determined to find this boy once more so she follows him into he ...more
A
Mar 26, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: nh, ang
The story line is a little strange & gets to be difficult to follow later on in the book. Uses a good bit of imagination and the idea of time traveling. Not a good book for kids that struggle with monsters getting them.
I didn’t care for "the brothers" who were monsters in the book. Has a relatively happy ending. Some violence & murder. Not my favorite read, but it was ok.
Lexile 740 - Reading Counts 14 points
Kristen
Jan 02, 2010 rated it it was amazing
I was lucky enough to read this book before it is officially published and I can't wait for it to arrive in bookstores. It is beautifully written and just as captivating for adults with a love of a great story as it is children. Carolyn Cohagan is a wonderful writer and I can't wait to read more from her, especially more about Josephine, Ida and Fargus.
Emily Klein
Jan 02, 2010 rated it it was amazing
I was lucky enough to get an early copy of this and it was such a delicious pleasure! It brought me back to those late childhood/early adolescent kind of reads - Madeleine L'Engle, CS Lewis, etc. I felt completely immersed in her world. I wanted to hang out with her characters and keep hanging out with them when the book ended. A magical first novel.
Tani
Aug 19, 2014 rated it liked it
This book is well suited for the interests and understanding of its proposed audience (8-12). I wish it had gone into greater detail about the "master's" fate and how it could have possibly been applied to maybe save the other "lost children." So I thought it ended a little too quickly.
Very sweet, with light humor and horror this book is quick paced and holds the reader's interest.
Josh
Dec 10, 2011 rated it it was amazing
The part in the country put me in a really good mood.
Caitlin
May 30, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This book was awesome! It was so fun to read and I LOVE the twist at the end
Liz Taylor
Feb 27, 2013 rated it liked it
Pretty good - read this with my daughter.
Linn
Feb 19, 2014 rated it liked it
My 4th graders loved this, but I thought it was only okay. It's hard to say why I don't love it like they did. There's good adventure, but maybe not enough character development for my tastes.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Ladies & Literature: Game/Contest: The prize is a childrens book 108 58 Aug 10, 2012 01:57PM

• Full Tilt
  • Searching for Lottie
  • If the Magic Fits (100 Dresses, #1)
  • Grounded: The Adventures of Rapunzel (Tyme #1)
  • What Would She Do?: 25 True Stories of Trailblazing Rebel Women: 25 True Stories of Trailblazing Rebel Women
  • The Stone Child
  • Philippa Fisher and the Dream-Maker's Daughter (Philippa Fisher, #2)
  • The Flourishing of Floralie Laurel
  • Clara Voyant
  • Write This Down
  • The Dreamway
  • Planet Earth Is Blue
  • 7 Paths to God
  • Cosmic
  • Ghost of a Chance (100 Dresses, #2)
  • My Brother Sam Is Dead
  • Blended
  • Who Stole the Cookies from the Cookie Jar
Carolyn Cohagan began her writing career on the stage. She has performed stand-up and one-woman shows at festivals around the world from Adelaide to Edinburgh. Her first novel, THE LOST CHILDREN, was published by Simon & Schuster in 2010, became part of the Scholastic Book Club in 2011, and was nominated for a Massachusetts Children's Book Award in 2014. She recently moved back to her hometown ...more
“And when you grow up one day," her mother would always add, "you might be lucky enough to be shot by someone you love.” 5 likes