Start by marking “Mean Streets (Includes: The Dresden Files, #10.3)” as Want to Read:
Mean Streets (Includes: The Dresden Files, #10.3)

Mean Streets (Remy Chandler #1.5)

really liked it 4.0  ·  Rating details ·  8,678 Ratings  ·  391 Reviews
From four of todays hottest fantasy authorsall-new novellas of dark nights, cruel cities, and paranormal P.I.s. The best paranormal private investigators have been brought together in a single volumeand cases dont come any harder than this. New York Times bestselling author Jim Butcher delivers a hard-boiled tale in which Harry Dresdens latest case may be his last. Nightsi ...more
Published January 6th 2009 by Roc (first published 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Mean Streets, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mean Streets

Rebecca
Mean Streets is an anthology of four stories by four authors, all featuring urban fantasy and private eyes. For the record, I was familiar with two of the authors Jim Butcher and Simon R. Green, but not familiar with Kat Richardson or Thomas E. Sniegoski. I'm going to review each of the stories separately.

The Warrior (Jim Butcher)
I enjoyed this story. It involved the Carpenter family, some of my favorite side characters of The Dresden Files. Plus, we got some good world-building surrounding Mic
Kathy Davie
Jan 20, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: urban-fantasy
An anthology of four short stories in four series of urban fantasy.

Series:
"The Warrior" (Dresden Files, 10.5)
"Difference a Day Makes" (Nightside, 9.5)
"Third Death of the Little Clay Dog" (Greywalker, 5.5)
"Noah's Orphans" (Remy Chandler, 1.5)

The Stories
Jim Butcher's "The Warrior" is a part of the Dresden Files urban fantasy series and occurs after Michael has retired leaving custody of two swords with Harry. A situation profoundly despised by someone who must be a part of the Catholic Church as w
Cathy
In general, I really like the longer stories/novellas in this trade size paperback much more than the way too brief stories in mass market paperbacks. These were enough to sink my teeth into and intrigue me about the authors' other books much more than other anthologies I've read.

Green's Nightside story:
So VERY Nightside. He has a tendency to pack every paragraph with his crazy creations, to the point where it just feels like pointless showing off. It's really too much. On the other hand, I like
Julie (jjmachshev)
Dec 26, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2008-reads
Urban fantasy fans, pay heed! "Mean Streets" is an awesome anthology with stories by four big-hitters of the genre. In one book, you can visit with Chicago wizard Harry Dresden, Nightside PI John Taylor, Greywalker Harper Blaine, and fallen angel Remy Chandler in their own worlds. Stories of murder and attempted murder most foul, but with magic added to the mayhem.

For those who are unfamiliar with the above names, they are the creations of Jim Butcher, Simon R. Green, Kat Richardson, and Thomas
Michael
Apr 10, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, read-in-2009
No offense to the other fine authors in this collection, but I picked "Mean Streets" up for only one reason--the new Harry Dresden story.

"The Warrior" picks up after the events of "Small Favor." If you've not read the entire Dresden Files series leading up to this one, I imagine you might be a little confused. Yes, the story is standalone, but it's still one that requires a lot of prior knowledge to fully appreciate it.

Something is targeting Michael's family. Harry steps in and the story explore
Nicole
Jim Butcher's Harry Dresden story, "The Warrior," has some good action and standard Harry smart-alecness, but--even better--a lovely, sweet, touching twist that helps put some more light back in Harry's world. One of my favourite Dresden short stories.

"The Difference a Day Makes" by Simon R. Green - The first few pages of the story reminded me of really good Neil Gaiman--especially Neverwhere--with its dark fantasy setting, wryly dark humour, and elegant writing style. As the story progressed, i
Kat
At first, I only read the Jim Butcher story in this. I only picked it up for a quick Dresden fix, then decided I couldn't own a book I haven't read in its entirety.

Dresden Story- My biggest complaint about this story was that it was, in fact a VERY quick Dresden fix- a very short story. The story focused around Michael, former Knight of the Cross, and the whole issue of the swords that Harry is current custodian of. Harry got in some snarky comments, did shockingly little magic, got his butt kic
Colleen
May 24, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
1) The warrior by Butcher - 4 Stars, great story! It still continues to elude my why I don't read the dresden series. This was a good story and all the characters are likable.

2)The difference a day makes by Green - 3 stars - I've tried the nightside series before and it didn't stick. I'm still working on this story but I have some reservations. I don't mind works of fantasy but when they too silly, it starts to bother me. For example: The dancing bear at the bar, in a white jacket dancing using
John
Jul 21, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: urban-fantasy
If I had to describe “Mean Streets” as a sandwich, it would be one piece of baloney, with some decent pepperjack cheese accented with some avocado and mayo surrounded by two fresh, crispy pieces of Italian bread. Doesn’t sound like a half bad sandwich, except for the baloney, right? Actually, I like baloney, but in this case, it supposed to represent a poor quality cold cut.

Well, that’s how I felt about it as a whole. “Mean Streets” is a collection of four novellas by four notable urban fantasy
***Dave Hill
Dec 14, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: text
(Original review: http://hill-kleerup.org/blog/2009/04/...)

I hate it when I’m successfully manipulated by Big Business. Or Big Publishing.

And, of course, that’s what’s happened with Mean Streets, a collection of four novellas by different fantasy writers about their urban fantasy noir detectives. All of whom, coincidentally, happen to have book series that Roc (Penguin) would just love me to buy.

Which, of course, I now need to.

*sigh*

“The Warrior” by Jim Butcher ****

Butcher’s highly successful Ha
Angela
If you're an urban fantasy fan, you'll want to put serious consideration into checking out the anthology Mean Streets, which brings four stories to the table, two of which are heavy hitters long familiar to my recent book buying habits.

Harry Dresden fans will first and foremost want to check out Jim Butcher's contribution, "Warrior"--as long as you're up to date on the series. This story is set between the novels Small Favor and Turn Coat, and there are definite spoilers for the former. Still, i
Linda
Feb 24, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I only read Jim Butcher's contribution and really needed this insight after the last book. As a stand-alone short story i don't know how well it works though.
Leon
Feb 14, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a very good book. I usually don't like books of short stories but the four books in this set were all novella's that had to deal with separate series. I have read three of the four series so I was able to really get into the stories.

The Dresden Files story was great! But I'm biased since the Dresden books are on my "favorites" list. It dragged a few of the characters into the book, but by no means all of them. It was a nice little jaunt into the Dresden world.

The next was a Nightside no
Melanti
4 novellas, 4 very different opinions.

I liked "The Warrior" because I've read so much of the Dresden Files. I don't think this is a story that you can fully appreciate without the context that comes with the previous 10 novels. The Carpenters are my next to favorite side characters.

"The Difference a Day Makes" just confirms to me that I shouldn't bother even thinking of reading any more of the Nightside books. I've read the first two, and now this story just confirms my displeasure. I don't like
Shannon Terry
(Since I'm not supposed to be buying books right now, my excuse is that I picked this up used from Powell's last week after selling some others that I was never going to read again.) I of course got it because of Jim Butcher's Dresden Files story- which was enjoyable and nicely cheesy in the way that only stories involving Michael can be. Don't read this one until after "Small Favor," it has lots of spoilers since it is set immediately after.

All I'll say about the second story, by Simon Green,
Julia
Nov 04, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Just out in mass media paperback, I’ve waited for Mean Streets for a long time, but it is, mostly, very worth the wait. I started, but quickly stopped Simon R. Green’s “The Difference a Day Makes.” The Harry Dresden novella by Jim Butcher, sort of isn’t, it’s really about Michael Carpenter, his family and his faith in “The Warrior.” Giving Michael a happy, contented second act is very sweet. Kat Richardson’s novella has the great title, “The Third Death of the Little Clay Dog.” Harper Blaine is ...more
julia
Oct 02, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi-fantasy
Finished the first short story, a Harry Dresden story. enjoyed it quite a bit, though we didn't see much of Molly, and I love to see the Master interact with his Padawan :)

Finished the second short story. Wasn't familiar with the author or his characters, and it started out like a rather freaky mystery, but I didn't like where they went. Far to much weird at the end. Now I know not to pick up any of his other stories on this topic.

Third short story was good--again a new author for me, but in thi
Michael
These are four short stories from four private investigator/paranormal detective series. Each of the four has a very different flavor.
Jim Butcher's story is an action packed story from his regular character Harry Dresden. This is by far the best short story of the four. Alone I would give it 5 stars. Unfortunately the other three stories are not quite as good. They are worth the read but they are not in the same class as Butcher's story. Use your own judgement about reading this book. If you are
Michelle
Mar 28, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
I think angel stories are starting to give zombies/vampires a run for their genre. Butcher and Sinegoski's stories feature heavily in the angel realm, and do it well. Richardson's story is a bit rambling but original. Simon R. Green, I'm sad to say, seems to have lost his umph. I loved the first 3-4 Nightside novels, but they've grown predictable in their reliance on shock value to keep you interested in flat characters with no momentum.
pianogal
Jan 27, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: paranormal
I came for the Jim Butcher story, but I stayed for the Sniegoski. I'm an totally going to have to get into the Remi Chandler series. I really enjoyed this story. Butcher was good, but it makes me want to read Turn Coat and I don't have time. Ergh. Thought the other two stories were ok, but I haven't read those authors before, so it took a little time to get into their worlds.
Annmarie
Oct 16, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobooks, 2011
Read the first story (the Dresden Files one) but not the rest. I might come back to them at some point if I end up getting into those other series (Nightside, Greywalker) but I really hate reading books out of order so I can't bring myself to jump into them yet.
Amir
Mar 21, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting plot though since it wasn't a proper Dresden files book it lacked alot of the elements I enjoyed from the series.
Morris Nelms
The Butcher story is much better than 2 stars. I wasn't as intrigued by the other stories and didn't finish them. Hence the lower review. Butcher is great fun, so...
Nick Kelly
Jul 29, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
“Mean Streets” is a compilation gathering some of the most top-notch investigators and hunters of the paranormal. The book is a themed anthology, where national and New York Times bestselling authors get a chance to feature their heroes and heroines against all sorts of things that go bump in the night.
First up is Butcher’s infamous private investigator, Harry Dresden. In “The Warrior”, readers find Dresden reuniting with his retired partner-turned softball coach, Michael Carpenter. Someone has
Missi
Jul 24, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
First- the Dresden story was good. Fortunately I had read it before because the narration was terrible! Marsters is Dresden! Haven't we learned this already with Ghost Story?!?! I just couldn't get past the new narrator- awful voices. Especially Father Forthill. Ick!
2nd- I had thought of trying out this series. Sounds like it should be interesting. But it wasn't. It was boring. I'm not sure why. Lots of action. Weird creatures. Should have been a very creepy novella. The repetitiveness of 'in t
Tina Higgins
Aug 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I just finished the last story in this book. "Noah's Orphans" by Thomas Sniegoski. It falls between book 1 and 2 of the Remy Chandler novels. Remy is an angel, who after the Great War against the Morningstar has renounced both heaven and hell to live as a human. He is a Boston P.I. For this story, someone has murdered Noah and Remy gets sucked in to finding out who and why.

As a one off it does a nice job of giving just enough back story so that you aren't lost, without making you feel like you h
Jeff
Four novellas, each of varying quality. Simply put, each story brings its own vision, and they all accomplish the same goal in different ways. That's not a bad thing, but it does make it so the anthology feels ... somewhat inconsistent. I'll admit, I'm fairly new to reading anthologies, but this seems to me to be quite a good one, despite those small idiosyncrasies within the different styles.
Kari Ely
Hard-boiled detective stories, with a supernatural twist. Who knew there were so many variations on that theme? I bought this because I enjoy Jim Butcher's Dresden Files series, but the other stories in this collection are solid. I enjoy Kat Richardson's contribution so much that I sought out the Greywalker series immediately. It was a new one for me, so that was a good find. Over all, an enjoyable read.
Brett Boyko
Jul 30, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A nice and varied collection of pulpy, gritty, urban fantasy. While Jim Butcher has a good showing hidden treasures are among the authors including Simon R. Green and Kim Harrison. Each story has a very different flavor, setting and world. In many anthologies I encounter the same story over and over again. In Mean Streets every ally, street, cul de sac and literary freeway has something to offer. A definite gateway book for Modern Urban Fantasy.
Eric Evans
Jul 04, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Pretty good collection, mainly picked this up for the Butcher and Green stories. The others were ok but didn't motivate me to try anymore of their work. I've read a couple of short stories from the night side and think I may check out the series. Sorry to say I had read the Dresden story in another collection but always worth a re-read.
  • Strange Brew
  • Naked City: Tales of Urban Fantasy
  • Blood Lite III: Aftertaste (Blood Lite, #3;  Otherworld Stories, #10.4; The Dresden Files, #6.5)
  • Underground (Greywalker, #3)
  • Just Another Judgement Day (Nightside, #9)
  • Our World (The Dresden Files Roleplaying Game, #2; The Dresden Files, #10.11)
  • Where Angels Fear to Tread (Remy Chandler, #3)
  • Powers of Detection: Stories of Mystery & Fantasy
  • Under My Hat: Tales from the Cauldron
  • Many Bloody Returns
  • Those Who Fight Monsters: Tales of Occult Detectives
Jim Butcher is the author of the Dresden Files, the Codex Alera, and a new steampunk series, the Cinder Spires. His resume includes a laundry list of skills which were useful a couple of centuries ago, and he plays guitar quite badly. An avid gamer, he plays tabletop games in varying systems, a variety of video games on PC and console, and LARPs whenever he can make time for it. Jim currently resi ...more
More about Jim Butcher...

Remy Chandler (7 books)
  • A Kiss Before the Apocalypse (Remy Chandler, #1)
  • Dancing on the Head of a Pin (Remy Chandler, #2)
  • Where Angels Fear to Tread (Remy Chandler, #3)
  • A Hundred Words for Hate (Remy Chandler, #4)
  • In the House of the Wicked (Remy Chandler, #5)
  • Walking In the Midst of Fire (Remy Chandler, #6)
  • A Deafening Silence in Heaven (Remy Chandler, #7)

“Nobody can be bad at everything. There’s no such thing as a perfect screwup.” 150 likes
“Harry Dresden. Saving the world, one act of random destruction at a time.” 142 likes