Start by marking “Field of Fire: Diary of a Gunner Officer” as Want to Read:
Field of Fire: Diary of a Gunner Officer

Field of Fire: Diary of a Gunner Officer

Jack Swaab joined the veteran 51st (Highland) Infantry Division on January 3rd, 1943. He kept a series of diaries over the following two and a half years, recording the combination of boredom and fear that characterizes active service. In mid-March 1943 he saw battle for the first time as Montgomery attacked the Mareth Line. In July that year Swaab took part in the Allied ...more
Published March 4th 2006 by Sutton Publishing (first published 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Field of Fire, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Field of Fire

James Kemp
Nov 13, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I read the hardback version very shortly after it came out. I collect first hand accounts of the WW2 and unit histories of the 51st Highland Division in particular, so this one was a must buy. That said it is one of the best first hand accounts that I have read, and certainly the best from a gunner (it comparies favourably to George Blackburn's Guns of War series - he was also a Forward Observation Officer).

You can have no doubt about the hardships of war, what the conditions were like for both
Dipra Lahiri
Sep 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2018, bio-autobio, war
A rarity amongst war memoirs, in that the author actually maintained a diary all through his war years, covering the Africa, Sicily, Europe and German campaigns, rather than reconstructing experiences later. Kept himself going by writing copiously in his diary, letters to his family and girlfriend, and alcohol.
Elaine
Jan 15, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2014-reads
I found it a hard book to get through, because of the boredom and same old same old days. And then I thought if it was hard for me to read, Lord it must have been horrendous for the guys who had to go through it! So I do take off my hat to you guys.
The battles seemed very intense, and must have been scary as hell. But like Jack maintained you become very non care about it in the end, let it just begin and see what happens.

Paul Milligan