Start by marking “Choosing Gratitude: Your Journey to Joy” as Want to Read:
Choosing Gratitude: Your Journey to Joy

Choosing Gratitude: Your Journey to Joy

Is the gratitude that flows out of your life as abundant as the grace that flows into your life? The world tells us annoyances and afflictions cause discouragement and doubt—and that we are right to demand our way. Then there are circumstances that aren’t what we wish or even what we think we need, and suddenly we’re convinced life hurts. The only option we have is to ...more
Audio CD, Unabridged Edition, 0 pages
Published October 2009 by Oasis Audio (first published August 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Choosing Gratitude, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Choosing Gratitude

Start your review of Choosing Gratitude: Your Journey to Joy
Mandy J. Hoffman
"Is the gratitude that flows out of your life as abundant as the grace that flows into your life?"

This question, posed on the back cover, is the perfect way to sum up this book. Nancy Leigh Demoss shares why our life should be full of gratitude and how we can have that kind of depth in our life. We can trade in our whine for worship! When we accept the grace of God in our life we can be full of gratitude for what He has given us...even if it appears to be "bad" in our eyes.

I enjoyed the many
Rachel Schultz
May 30, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Warm, light, sweet. I was helped by it. Thankfulness is an essential piece of how to handle suffering
Bluerose's  Heart
Reading Choosing Gratitude: Your Journey to Joy was quite an eye-opening experience for me! And, an emotional one. I cried...A LOT. I've made it no secret that I'm most likely THE most emotional person you could ever meet. I think this book may have set a record for just HOW much it made me cry, though.

It was hard for me to realize just how UNGRATEFUL I really am!

Not long after he arrived back home, Paul was visiting with a church leader from India who had come to the States to study. In the
Ibjoy1953 Hannabass
Is the gratitude that flows out of your life as abundant as the grace that flows into your life? This question is on the back of this book, and it so rightfully sums up this book. Nancy DeMoss looks at what it means to be a grateful person and why it matters much deeper than we usually think about gratefulness.

Choosing Gratitude takes being grateful and thankful to a whole new level. As with all of Nancy Demoss’s books, this one gets right to the heart of the subject in the very beginning. There
Cher
Jan 20, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction
I won't say that this book changed my life, but it certainly changed my attitude in the midst of a tough situation at work.
M. R.
Jun 14, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-nonfiction
What a great book on gratitude. Definitely opened my eyes to many areas of my life where I was needing to be grateful and instead was complaining. Would make a great group Bible study, I think!
Bambi Moore
Whoa, if you need a kick in the bootie to get over yourself, pick this one up . It is heavy on application and illustrative stories but makes for an easy read. ...more
Mazzou B

You may think of yourself as a pretty grateful person, I know I did. I am one of the most thankful people for all the blessings the Lord heaps upon me! But what about the hard times? What about the lessons and trials of life which are sent by God?

As I force myself to realize, being grateful for God's work in your life a year after, is not true gratitude. Imagine how different your life would be if
David Zimmerman
Nov 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What a treasure of a find this little volume turned out to be. It is hands down the most biblical, most gospel-rich treatment of gratitude I have read. There are gems of biblical insight and practical applications to be plucked from every chapter. I will be forever in the debt of Nancy DeMoss, and the best way I know to repay it is to recommend Choosing Gratitude to you.

First, don't skip the introduction. In it, the author argues for the importance of gratitude, for making it a "top-tier"
Heather
Feb 18, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: christian-living
I had not thought of myself as an ungrateful person, but reading this book showed me that I am not nearly as grateful as I should be. Nancy is open about her own struggles being grateful and so she encourages us to be more grateful as someone by our side and not as someone cracking a whip over us. It is convicting, in an encouraging kind of way. She makes you want to be more grateful because you see how much joy and blessing it brings to yourself and others. In the book she also shares some ...more
Tiffany
May 18, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Honestly, I wasn’t very excited to read Choosing Gratitude by Nancy Leigh DeMoss, but I agreed to review it for Moody Publishers. Wow! Was I surprised! This book held so much more than I was expecting. Author DeMoss states that gratitude is not merely a second-tier virtue in the Christian life--it is vital. At first I was doubtful, but by the end of the book, I agreed. This “Christian gratitude” recognizes what we’ve received first and foremost from God including the blessings we receive from ...more
Rebekah Sussex
Mar 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was extremely good. It was so helpful to not just read about a certain topic and how it should change your life, but this book had a 30 day devotional at the end which helped put 'gratitude in action'.
Annette Steele
Feb 28, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was given to me at the beginning of 2014. That was a difficult year and I did NOT want to "choose gratitude" at the time. However by the time summer came I was ready to read it and absorb it and gain such wisdom from it!
Marguerite Harrell
We all do need to read this book and be reminded of this all the time. We all do have so much to be thankful for. Great book to read and needed to read again.
Kelly
Loved it. Helps to put things in perspective.
Cindy
Mar 18, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A great reminder that gratitude is a choice. I love the author's mantra of "whine or worship." A very easy phrase to keep in my occupied brain.
Karen
Mar 27, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Favorite quotes:
Let us daily praise God for common mercies-common as we frequently call them, and yet so priceless, that when deprived of them we are ready to perish. - Charles Spurgeon

Some grumble why God put thorns on roses, while others wisely notice with awe and gratitude that God has put roses among thorns.

If we trick ourselves into believing that everyday household items come from the grocery rather than a gracious God, we walk right past countless reasons for worship without even knowing
Amanda Tero
Sep 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book. I listened to the audio book while walking and it was SO good! Exactly what I needed right now. In everyday hum-drum of life, it is easy to get caught up in all of the negativity of things around us. However, Nancy takes a step back and causes us to evaluate: are we truly grateful like we SHOULD be as Christians? Why are our days so hard--is it because of ingratitude? Is it possible that ungratefulness is the root of so many of our hard days? Seriously. Just read this book. The verses ...more
Kerstin Gunia
I did the audio version and although there is a link for the "homework" this is a book that is better read than listened to. DeMoss gives sound advice on how to live with a grateful heart, very authentic & relatable, and she does not gloss over the hardships that can lead to ingratitude. Her work is always thoroughly researched and she is very gifted in explaining the scripture verses from the Bible. This is a study that can be done alone or in a small group setting.
Erica Douglas
Nov 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Nancy DeMoss is a new favorite!
Lisa Lou
3.5 Stars
Laura Sagor
Dec 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow, this book was exactly what I needed! Gratitude honestly has not been something I think much about, and that needs to change! I’m looking forward to eventually completing her 30 day challenge!
Sara
Nov 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of my favorite books to reread this time of year.
Christina Baehr
Jan 15, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Way better than the cover suggests! Teach me to be sniffy about mainstream evangelical publishing. ;) Quite convicting, and a good refresher on the subject after reading and loving Burroughs’ ‘Contentment’ two years ago.

Another housesit book I happened upon.
Melody Geiseman
Mar 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
excellent! Such an encouragement to concentrate on the positive...I have found myself thinking of things to be thankful for and trying to complain less.
Glen
Mar 15, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
DeMoss always writes in a voice that is accessible and highly devotional. This book continues that tradition on a topic that strikes at the core of discipleship.

The topic of gratitude has entered mainstream conversations and Choosing Gratitude provides an excellent grounding for modern believers in the Scriptural view of true thankfulness. Each chapter contains practical steps (action steps at the end as well), exegetical support and anecdotal examples.

There is also a 30 day gratitude
Adriana Espinosa Lagarda
"Listen, dear friend, God loves you, His promises are sure, and your heavenly destiny is settled forever if you've trusted Christ Jesus as your Lord and Savior. But some of the holy work we need to have done in us and through us can only come through the valley of shadow and suffering. Are you going to be resistant to that? Or are you going to be clay in His hands, knowing that he is intent on shaping you into the image of Christ and wants to use your life for something far bigger than your own ...more
Gabrielle W.
The author who brought you the book wonderful book, Lies Women Believe has done it again!
I thought I was always a glass half full sort of person, the one who always saw the bright side of things and found reasons to be thankful, but after reading Choosing Gratitude, by Nancy Leigh Demoss, I now realize how much work I still need to do in my life. Being such an easy, enjoyable, and thought provoking read, I had to make sure that I didn't fly through this book.
I wanted to share some of my favorite
Jessica Kasper
Mar 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have this on audiobook and LOVE it! Her encouragement to look at our life though a lens of gratitude is moving and causes you to WANT to act.
Just Commonly
Jan 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What is "gratitude"? According to the Oxford Dictionary, gratitude is "the quality of being thankful; readiness to show appreciation for and to return kindness." How are you in the area of gratitude? I'll let you think about it. For me, I am forever grateful to and for many people and things, and especially to God. How do I show it? I know I'll say the occasional "thank you", but is that all? Is that the only thing we can do? Do we truly understand what gratitude is?

Ms. DeMoss states in Choosing

• Tell Your Time: How To Manage Your Schedule So You Can Live Free
  • Because He Loves Me: How Christ Transforms Our Daily Life
  • How the Mind Works
  • Stepping Heavenward
  • Even Better Than Eden: Nine Ways the Bible's Story Changes Everything about Your Story
  • The Gospel Comes with a House Key
  • Shepherding a Child's Heart
  • Risen Motherhood: Gospel Hope for Everyday Moments
  • In His Image: 10 Ways God Calls Us to Reflect His Character
  • Treasuring Christ When Your Hands Are Full: Gospel Meditations for Busy Moms
  • Openness Unhindered: Further Thoughts of an Unlikely Convert on Sexual Identity and Union with Christ
  • Keep It Shut: What to Say, How to Say It, and When to Say Nothing at All
  • Girl Defined: God's Radical Design for Beauty, Femininity, and Identity
  • Trusting God: Even When Life Hurts
Nancy DeMoss Wolgemuth also known as Nancy Leigh DeMoss is the host and teacher for Revive Our Hearts and Seeking Him, two nationally-syndicated programs heard each weekday on over 1,000 radio stations. She is a mentor and spiritual mother to thousands of women and a leader of the True Woman movement.
“I have learned that in every circumstance that comes my way, I can choose to respond in one of two ways: I can whine or I can worship! And I can't worship without giving thanks. It just isn't possible. When we choose the pathway of worship and giving thanks, especially in the midst of difficult circumstances, there is a fragrance, a radiance, that issues forth out of our lives to bless the Lord and others.” 98 likes
“Gratitude unleashes the freedom to live content in the moment, rather than being anxious about the future or regretting the past.” 6 likes