Start by marking “Summer of Roses Summer of Roses Summer of Roses” as Want to Read:
Summer of Roses Summer of Roses Summer of Roses

Summer of Roses Summer of Roses Summer of Roses (Nova Scotia Summer #2)

3.88  ·  Rating details ·  2,054 Ratings  ·  112 Reviews
Few novelists today write with the power to move our hearts, quicken our souls, and enrich our lives like Luanne Rice. In "New York Times" bestsellers such as "Dance with Me, BeachGirls, " and "The Secret Hour," she vividly captures the dramas that make all the difference in love and families. Now, revisiting the remarkable characters introduced in her bestselling"Summer's ...more
Published June 28th 2005 by Bantam (first published 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Summer of Roses Summer of Roses Summer of Roses, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Summer of Roses Summer of Roses Summer of Roses

Cindy
This is the continuation of the story in Summer's Child - and the author appears to be setting up other stories revolving around these characters and the town of Cape Hawk. It is a sweet story and truly the author is very good at that type. There are families of all types yet bound tightly; there is the lovely scenery of the coast of Nova Scotia and New England; and there's the dastardly bad guys getting their comeuppance. It is a great beach read/escapism - no one really cusses, there are good ...more
Rebekah
Jan 02, 2009 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
The story of a woman who has taken her daughter and left an abusive husband to start a new, secret life in Nova Scotia. Only now her mother's health is failing and she must take the risk of returning home, meeting her husband, and encountering the detective who is still out to solve this missing persons case. This would make a great addition to the Lifetime, Stories for Women channel. But I never watch that channel. The whole time I was reading I felt like I was wearing rose-colored glasses. Too ...more
Julie
Nov 10, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: luanne-rice
I thought it was a little cheesy. A woman flees to Canada to hide from her husband. You don't find out why until you are 3/4 through the book. What are the chances that another woman also is in hiding from the same man, lives in the same town? A little too much whale watching and Gaelicness for me.
Mohamed Omran
. it’s so nice to finally understand the whole story after so long..Lily Malone, with her daughter, Rose Malone, and new found love, Liam Neill, returned to Hubbard’s Point to care for her ill grandmother, Maeve Jameson, and to face her past.. the happiness for Rose’s successful surgery was overshadowed by the fear and worry when Edward Hunter decided to return to their lives.. but all his evil plans to take Rose and hurt Lily backfired when family and friends helped Lily have her justice.. peop ...more
Kristy Trauzzi
May 06, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: probably no one
Ruthie
Oct 05, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: luanne-rice, family
the conclusion of Summer’s Child… i already read this last year, but decided to read it again after i finished Summer’s Child.. everything in the book made sense now after reading the first part.. i used to skim this book to find explanations for some events mentioned but can never find one.. it’s so nice to finally understand the whole story after so long..

Julie Barrett
Feb 29, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Summer of Roses Book 2 by Luanne Rice
Lily and her friend Liam are back in Hubbard Point, CT at her grandmother's house after she left to go to the hospital.
They arrived from Nova Scotia where Lily had hidden out for over 9 years.
Patrick Murphy is the detective who found her and informed her of her grandmother's illness.
Lily is afraid her husband, Edward will find out and come get their daughter from her.
Love reading about familiar treasured things: moonstones, flowers, sea life, sounds from the
Brandie
Sep 22, 2008 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audio, read-2008
very cheesy...if you love the over-the-top lovey dovey stuff...this is for you!
Karen
Jul 23, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was browsing through ebooks available to me through my library and found Summer of Roses available to check out. So I checked on Goodreads for reviews, although I've read a few Luanne Rice books before and I'm glad I did because I realized this was a #2 book in a short series. So I checked out Summer's Child, which is #1 first since it was also available. I guess you could read them out of order, but I'm glad I read them in order because of the cast of characters and the story line. I enjoyed ...more
Vicki Primmer
May 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Good Book
Rhonda Rae Baker
This was a great sequel to Summer's Child...I enjoyed finding out where the characters had come from in more detail and what happen to them after-the-fact. Not as much psychological tension as I had expected but there were several things that I felt were very real and true to life from day-to-day.

Coming from a totally abusive relationship of 28 years, I know what it is like to feel trapped in a place where there seems to be no home. Only if I would have had someone to help me or had provision en
Wei Cho
Feb 05, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance
My first Luanne Rice book. Lovely, endearing, warm.

Book in context: This is the sequel to her story Summer's Child. Many recommend reading Summer's Child first before attempting to comprehend the complexity of Summer of Roses, which I didn't do. That said, this is the first book I read out of my comfort zone (fantasy and Classics), and to be honest, I enjoyed every page turn.

This book addresses the delicate issue of domestic violence and the emotional scars it leaves. Luanne Rice centers her mes
Chris
Nov 17, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: work
this review is from another reviewer
The story of Lily and Rose was good. It was interesting, I liked hearing about her relationship with Edward. I liked the warning that was put in there. So many people have these little nagging doubts when in a relationship or before marriage - and they ignore it. It's just best not to. I liked her "escape", I liked her return.

Then you toss in Marissa. Ok, fine. While she might be a somewhat part of the story . . . Just - not really. I mean, what are the odds
Melissa
I picked up the audio version of Summer of Roses from my local library, not realizing that it was a continuation of another story. Had I known this I probably wouldn’t have picked it up. Thankfully the author included some background information on the characters previous situations, so I was able to get an idea of what I missed.

It took me quite some time to get into this story especially that of Lilly’s storyline. I felt like the characters were so overloaded with personal trauma that it didn’
Kamelle Reigh
I liked how the book started. Everything was shrouded with mystery and every chapter would reveal a new character that would then reveal more clues to the reader. But there were too many characters in the story and too many names to remember and I can't keep up! It's like listening to someone telling a story with them mentioning stranger's names and you get tired of listening because you can't relate but out of respect, you continue to listen absently.

Although plotwise, it was nice.

Pregnant Mara
Kin
Nov 01, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: very-nice
Read: March 28- April 1, 2014
7.5 Hours
"It's no use comparing yourself with others. Not just in height, but in life. It's how you grow inside--how you try and how you learn from your mistakes--that counts. That's all that matters, sweetheart."

Summer of Roses is about the irrevocable love of a mother, healing a heart that once had been broken and opening it to love again.
Rice has the power to weave words and make it into beautiful prose. The way Rice connects two things, nature and human love, was
Jennifer Wardrip
SUMMER OF ROSES is the perfect sequel to last year's SUMMER'S CHILD. The relationships that began in that first book--that between Lily and Liam; the health of young Rose; the fleeing of Marisa and her daughter, Jessica; the culmination of former detective Patrick's search for Maura; the ending health crisis of Maeve; the horrors rendered by abuser Edward Hunter--are all beautifully brought to a conclusion.

I loved SUMMER'S CHILD, but was sometimes irritated at the slow pace of the storyline sta
Kris - My Novelesque Life
4 STARS

"On the windswept coast of Nova Scotia, two friends and their young daughters have found refuge in the rugged community of Cape Hawk. Lily Malone and nine-year-old Rose are making a new home with a man who will do whatever it takes to protect them. Marisa Taylor and young Jessica are beginning to recapture the music that once filled their world with joy. But now a stranger from faraway New England has made his way to Cape Hawk, bearing secrets from the past and news of an uncertain future
Mar 27, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My mom left this book for me, having finished it while at my house. I don't normally go for mysteries, but she said she thought i'd like it. Set in Nova Scotia, as was previous book, The Birth House, i felt like a temporary Canadian resident for the month. This book was a suspenseful tale of a woman faking her death and leaving her horribly abusive husband. Set nine years later after giving birth to his baby who is now nearly nine, Rose is the love of her life. She meets a new freind with a frig ...more
Heidi
Dec 16, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I had read Summer's Child by Luanne Rice a while ago. While my mother had given me this book, I had not realized it was a sequel to Summer's Child. It was nice to be back in Cape Hawk with Lily and Marisa....Liam and Patrick....Rose and Jessica. This book is a story about the strength of woman who can overcome even physical or emotional abuse. It is a story about mistrusting love and learning to trust it once again. It is a story about endings and new beginnings. It is a story that in the end, r ...more
Gina
I have read many of Luanne Rice's books and I am not sure if it was because I was listening to this as an audio book or if it was because it seemed to be a second book in a series and I was definitely missing some giant pieces of information. This book just wasn't up to par with what I am used to reading by Rice. Like I said, I feel like I was missing huge chunks of the story even though it doesn't say it is part of a series. No matter what, there are far better Rice novels out there and I would ...more
Leigh
Sep 21, 2007 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Summer of Roses was a good book that I enjoyed, but it is just a little too idyllic. One of the author's books was made into a mini-series for the Hallmark channel and that's what this felt like too - everything was just too perfect and all the characters were either amazingly talented, perfectly good people, or totally evil. It's almost nauseating how much they all loved each other. A nice story, but I probably won't be checking out this author's other books.
Carla
Oct 25, 2007 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: not a soul on my friends list
The short story is, I could not and did not finish this book. I was looking for light reading. I got hooked from an on-line readers service that feeds you portions of a book daily for five days. I picked up where I left off when the emails ended but half way through the book, I truly did not care about any of the characters or the story. It seemed maudlin and trite. If you are a Rice fan, I respect you but she is not for me.
Ceecee
Jun 18, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Karen Burck
Jul 18, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
On the windswept coast of Nova Scotia, two friends and young daughters found refuge in the rugged community of Cape Hawk. One women and her daughter are making a home with a man who will protect them from no matter what. Each women will be faced with choices that will irrevocably shape their lives forever.
Jun 01, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I liked this book but felt that it was pretty simple. It dealt with some big issues and seemed to simplfy them too much. It seemed to only touch the suface of abuse and the effects of it. The romance in the book is nice but I never really identified with the characters so I really didn't care that much that they got together.
Terri Tinkel
This book is the sequel to Summer's Child. It helps tie up some of the storylines from the original book. I enjoyed it as much as, if not more than, the original story. Lots of drama and revelations of old secrets. Both of these books are perfect to be read together on a long beach vacation. I am sure you will enjoy both stories.
Sue
Mar 10, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a sequel to Summer's Child. Lily returns to her childhood home to care for her Grandmother. However she may be putting her daughter at risk when she returns. Lily's past and present collide as she determines she is a stronger person now and will do everything she can to protect her daughter, the man she loves and the life they have.
Wanda Troupe
Jun 27, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good summer read - or in between book. I can't read these feel good, Hallmark books all the time but sometimes I just want a good story that warms my heart and is easy to read. These last two books did the trick for me. I know some readers will give this one a "corny" rating but I guess I was in the mood for corny. LOL
Pdamon
May 18, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Since I just read Summer's Child which is part one of this story, I read this. A little way into it, I realized I had read it years ago; back before my goodreads days.

It has a nice, neat, and satisfying conclusion. The center of the book moves very slowly and it quite repetitive, even taking into consideration that I had read it once.

It's a good beach read.
  • Snow Soldiers
  • Shades of Grace
  • Playing with Matches
  • One More Sunrise
  • Jo Joe
  • Haussmann, or the Distinction
  • Down Right Good
  • Endless Chain (Shenandoah Album)
  • Burden of Desire
  • Sointula
  • Things Can Only Get Feta: Two Journalists and Their Crazy Dog Living Through the Greek Crisis
  • Summer Shift
  • Sipping from the Nile: My Exodus from Egypt
  • Lucky Me: My Life With--and Without--My Mom, Shirley MacLaine
  • The Leger Connection (Genevieve Lenard, #7)
  • Cover Girls
Luanne Rice is the New York Times bestselling author of thirty-two novels including THE SECRET LANGUAGE OF SISTERS, her first YA novel. Five of her books have been made into movies and mini-series, many have been New York Times bestsellers and two of her pieces have been featured in off-Broadway theatre productions. She divides her time between New York City and the Connecticut shoreline.
More about Luanne Rice...

Nova Scotia Summer (3 books)
  • Summer's Child