Start by marking “Dragon's Milk” as Want to Read:
Dragon's Milk

Dragon's Milk (Dragon Chronicles #1)

3.88 of 5 stars 3.88  ·  rating details  ·  5,215 ratings  ·  157 reviews
"You must go to the dragon. You must leave tonight."

Before she even hears the words, Kaeldra already knows what she must do. She must search out the mother dragon whose draclings have just hatched and somehow get some of her precious milk. It's the only way to save her foster-sister's life. Kaeldra would rather not go. It's much too terriffying, much too dangerous. But Kae
Published March 9th 2010 by Atheneum Books for Young Readers (first published 1989)

To ask other readers questions about Dragon's Milk, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dragon's Milk

black lamb
This was one of my favourite books as a kid - I was a huge dragon nut, to the point where I refused to read Harry Potter because of something I read in the back summary of the first book that lead me to assume JK Rowling was "doing it wrong," so I turned my nose up at the whole series. Seriously. I recall this vividly. Kids say the darndest things.

Anyway, the Dragon Chronicles series was one of my favourites for a variety of reasons - I loved that the dragons were intelligent, misunderstood crea
Jojo
When I read a book I don't enjoy, I have to read a couple books I know I'll love to get the bad taste of bad reading out of my head. It's usually a more recently discovered comfort read, but if it was a really bad book, I might feel compelled to reach deep into the past and draw out a very old favorite.

I read a very bad book the other day. This book is a very old favorite. I probably read it first when I was nine or ten, and it immediately became a much-read favorite(possibly just because it was
Ashley Cael
Originally posted at Worlds Abound

Dragon's Milk starts with our introduction to Kaeldra, a young girl living in a small village on a farm with her adoptive family. Unfortunately for her, she is obviously the only Krag (a type of people that are tall and blond) in a village full of Elythians (smaller people with dark hair). When her younger sister, Lyf, contracts Vermilion fever Kaeldra's grandmother reveals to Kaeldra her heritage of dragon speaking and that the only way to save Lyf is to get mi
Wealhtheow
Sep 02, 2009 Wealhtheow rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Wealhtheow by: Amelia
Shelves: fantasy, ya
I read this at least a dozen years ago. What I remember: there is a young girl (possibly adopted, but definitely less parentally favored) who tries to save her sick younger sister with doses of dragon's milk. To get the milk, she makes a bargain with a dragon. But after the mother dragon is killed, Kaeldra takes on the responsibility of the three baby dragons left behind. She and a would-be dragon slayer traverse a surprisingly well-thought-out fantasy world, trying to keep ahead of their enemie ...more
Samantha
Cheryl Landmark
Actual Rating: 3.5 stars

For the most part, I enjoyed this book, mainly because it had baby dragons in it. They were cute, cuddly and adorable...not what you would expect from dragons. Even their names were cute--Embyr, Pyro and Synge. Of course, there were also the more deadly, dangerous adult dragons as well, who weren't nearly as sweet and cuddly! Ms. Fletcher's descriptions of them, however, were vivid and compelling.

The dragon's milk in the title played only a small part in the beginning of
Nicole
I'm gonna be honest - if you put a dragon in a book, I will read it. I've been known to stop everything because I found a book involving a dragon. I'm a sucker for dragons.

Maybe it's because I have yet to come across a badly written dragon. Even Eragon, for all the angst that comes with the main character, has kick ass dragons. If they're not kick ass, they're adorable. Hell, even really bad dragon movies have great dragon characters.

Dragon's Milk was no exception.

I mean, sure, Kaeldra was kind
Alexis
This book truly is magical. The characters, plot, everything.

The book starts off with a good and steady pace. Kaeldra (first of all, let me apologize if I spell her name wrong. It's a mouthful.) soon learns that her foster sister has grown terribly ill. She must set off on an adventure she never would have believed before.

Let me just say that I LOVE THE DRAGONS. They're described beautifully! Everything about them is beautiful. Even their names. They're misunderstood creatures who honestly mea
Nights
3.5

I read this book a long time ago, so my memory is kind of fuzzy on certain details (I've been reading a ton since I read this one, so that's why :P) but I did actually like this book.
It was well written, and the storyline made you want to keep reading.

WARNING, SPOILERS AHEAD

I mean, yes, it's good that the heroine lives and gets the guy and saves the day, but the thing is, there WAS no saving the day, all of the dragons, save for her chicks, died :/

And, yeah.
Aside from the ending, it
Alexis
This book truly is magical. The characters, plot, everything.

Angie
Wow, I think it's been at least 15 years since I've last read this book. Back then, I had no idea it was going to be part of a series, but I remember loving it. So, now that the series is finished, I am going to read them all! I can't wait! This book is even better than I remember it, and even 15 years later I'm still a big fan of dragons. This book is great for both boys and girls, juveniles, tweens and teens; fantasy fans and dragon lovers. Action! Suspense! Adventure! Lots of walking summariz ...more
Aelvana
Kaeldra's sister is sick with a fever, and the only known cure is dragon's milk. Fortunately---or perhaps not---a dragon has recently moved to the area to care for her hatchlings. Kaeldra bargains with the dragon for milk, but when the dragon dies, she's stuck escorting the babies to a place she's never seen, trusting the old legend of her ability to call down dragons will be true.

I liked the main plot. Kaeldra going off on her own, trying to care for three independent baby dragons, was plenty a
Sylvia Muennich
Julie
I read this when I was younger, so I decided to try it again. Wow, I was surprised by how much I still enjoyed this book! Sure, the vocabulary and word choice is a little simple, but this book was written for young adult readers. I definitely got in to it, and even though I've read it before, I couldn't put it down!
Angela
This was the book that got me hooked on dragons. The author won the Young Readers' Choice award when I was in 4th grade and gave a presentation at my school about the research she did for the book. It's a great blend of different mythologies and includes some classic intrigue and coming-of-age storyline.
Rain Misoa
Jan 12, 2014 Rain Misoa rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fantasy lovers and people who are okay with certain themes...
Recommended to Rain by: Library
Shelves: no-just-no
I had to stop reading this book half-way through. It's not because I wasn't interested in the story. I really wanted to find out more about Kaeldra's power and what she was going to do once she took the draclings to Landerath. However, I just couldn't bring myself to finish this book because of something that happens. Now, if you have a sensitive stomach or are easily nauseated or you want to avoid spoilers all together, I advise you stop reading now. Otherwise, continue to scroll down to find o ...more
Cecilie
This book gives me all the feels! I read it when I was about 11 or 12 - I loved it then and I still love it now! It has the ability to make me cry for so many different reasons, and I just love that!
Jeffrey House
This book grabbed me the first time I read it I was pestering my mother for a whole month or so until she finally read it. Good read. Loved the special clay ;-)
Clearwater Public Library Staff Picks
This was a very exciting, well written book. It explored dragon mythology in a very interesting way. The main character Kaeldra was so interesting. She really grew as the book progressed. At first she didn't want anything to do with her gift, by the end she was determined to protect the draclings no matter what. I loved the draclings characters too, they had real personality. Jeorg was annoying, he was the character I liked least. This book is definitely worth a read, as are the other two in the ...more
Heather
Kaeldra's foster sister is dying, and now she realizes that she is the only one who can save her. Kaeldra is different-- with her blond hair and green eyes. Now, she knows that because of those differences she can go to a dragon's lair and get life-saving dragon's milk. She does so, but soon finds that the draclings--the infant dragons--need protection. She must protect them from a dragon slayer and take them on a long journey with uncertain results.

I didn't really care for this book. The charac
Elora Salls
A Favorite Childhood Novel

I remember reading this when I was a preteen, and reading it again as an adult it is better than I even remembered. Susan Fletcher is a gifted storyteller and Dragon's Milk is a masterpiece. I especially love the archaic language that she uses confidently and effectively. It is a great book for young girls to read. Even boys will probably find it interesting. This brilliant novel, with it's heart-wrenching story of bravery and sacrifice, will always have a place in my h
Bill Tillman
Ages 8-12 makes a good read, first of three.
Naomi
I really wanted to like this book, but at times, it was just hard to keep me moving through the book. So many things are happening through this novel, so I assumed I'd have no problem reading this book in just a night or two. But I just couldn't keep interested, it's like I couldn't fully connect to the story.

Kaeldra is an okay heroine who's trying to grow into herself while also trying to save her step sister who's become ill. Kaeldra gets the needed dragon milk to help her sister at a price.
Ithlilian
I made the mistake of believing this novel was entirely about getting milk from a dragon for a sick sister. The first 50 pages or so may have been about the main character babysitting dragons in exchange for milk, but dragon slayers and rude townsfolk soon changed the story. I hesitate to give more of the plot since the book is so short. So I will refrain from spoilers and give my thoughts instead. I think that Dragon's Milk is a decent children's story, but it is a bit sad. Most of the novel is ...more
Samantha
Nov 28, 2011 Samantha rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Dragon Adventurers
To begin with, this book is non-stop adventure with continuous twists & turns. At first, I thought it was going to be extremely predictable, but I was sure surprised. With one idea set in my mind, I was totally unprepared for everything to come.

I imagined the entire story happening between Kaeldra's home and the mountain. It made sense. But instead, Ms. Fletcher took me across a kingdom or 2. Even going far enough over the sea to cover tracks! This book kept me in a whirlwind that I hoped wo
Iris
Read the full review at Witchmag's Boekenplank

What drew me to this book was the fantastic cover with the dragons. Normally speaking a great cover = a great book. At least that was the case with all the great covers I came across. Till I started reading this one. The story isn’t even half as good as the cover is.

The first few pages weren’t that bad. The writer used short sentences and simple words. So, it should be no problem for me. Wrong! I’ve read English books for a couple of years now, so yo
Tabi {Sherlockian} Card
Bsd100
The name of this book is "Dragon's Milk" and it's by Susan Fletcher. This girl named Kaeldra finds out that she is a dragon-sayer who takes care of baby dragons and dragons because she has green eyes. Her sister gets sick and she needs to find some dragon's milk so she goes to a cave and asks the dragon for milk. Then the dragon wants something in return. I think it's a good book to read because it has mythological dragons in it and it has some action also. It Is exciting to try to figure out w ...more
Amanda
I really enjoy fantasy stories. It helps me to escape from the ordinary world I live in. This story has the fantasy elements: dragons, magic, a journey, and a goal to reach.

It was not what I had hoped however.

The first thing about this book, is that the description is a little misleading. I thought it was going to be a journey where the main character, Kaeldra, tries to find the mother of these three draclings to get some of her milk to bring back to her dying sister. Well, that turned out to o
Linda
So apparently younger me was less picky, haha. (No surprise there.) This wasn't too bad, but I wasn't impressed, either. The green eyes were pretty funny given my recent blog rant, but it didn't bug me too much. I think the best part of the book was the draclings. So cute! ((view spoiler))

Kaeldra herself was ok, but not great. She spent most of the book running/hiding and telling the dragons to "stay." (view spoiler)
  • Dragon's Bait
  • Dragon's Blood
  • Dragon of the Lost Sea
  • Ivy's Ever After
  • Dragon's Egg
  • A Wizard Named Nell (The Keepers, #1)
  • Calling on Dragons (Enchanted Forest Chronicles, #3)
  • Jeremy Thatcher, Dragon Hatcher (Magic Shop, #2)
  • The Dragon of Trelian (Trelian, #1)
  • Wren to the Rescue (Wren, #1)
  • No Such Thing As Dragons
  • Quest for a Maid
119933

Susan Fletcher is the author of a popular trilogy that includes the books Dragon's Milk, Flight of the Dragon Kyn, and Sign of the Dove, as well as of several other novels for young readers.

With a medieval setting inspired by pictures of the Welsh countryside from where Flet
More about Susan Fletcher...

Dragon Chronicles (4 books)
  • Flight of the Dragon Kyn (Dragon Chronicles, #2)
  • Sign of the Dove (The Dragon Chronicles, Book 3)
  • Ancient, Strange, and Lovely (Dragon Chronicles, #4)
Shadow Spinner Flight of the Dragon Kyn (Dragon Chronicles, #2) Sign of the Dove (The Dragon Chronicles, Book 3) Alphabet of Dreams Ancient, Strange, and Lovely (Dragon Chronicles, #4)