Start by marking “El mercader y la bruja” as Want to Read:
El mercader y la bruja

El mercader y la bruja (Knights Templar #2)

3.93  ·  Rating details ·  846 Ratings  ·  47 Reviews
The Knights Templar

They had all joined taking three vows: poverty, chastity, and obedience…for they were monks: warrior monks, dedicated to theprotection of pilgrims in the Holy Land -- until stories spread by anavaricious king who wanted their wealth for his own destroyed the order.

There was one knight, however, who escaped the stake, vowing justiceas he watched his innoc
Published February 2003 by Martinez Roca (first published 1995)

To ask other readers questions about El mercader y la bruja, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about El mercader y la bruja

Michael Jecks
Nov 16, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: my-own
This is a book I can return to now and read for pleasure.
It all worked for me. The period, the weather, and the characters. I was aiming to produce a novel that would have felt like a medieval Sherlock Holmes, and perhaps I failed, but I think that Sir Baldwin de Furnshill and the Bailiff Simon Puttock get on well enough that the comparison with Holmes and Watson works. It's a cozy crime story, but with the history interwoven seamlessly with the plot.
Apr 13, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It was a good read but I didn't have the time to immerse myself in the story properly only finding time to read a couple of pages a night rather than reading it during a holiday or rest period and for that reason I found the book very bitty rather than flowing but I honestly feel that could be down to me not connecting fully with the characters. My favourite period of history is the Tudors&Stuarts and also the victorian period so I'm still connecting to the historical period of the novels bu ...more
THE MERCHANT'S PARTNER (Historical Mystery-England-1300s) – G+
Jecks, Michael, 2nd in series
Headline, 1995- Paperback
Simon Puttock, bailiff of Lydford Castle, and Sir Baldwin Furnshill, Keeper of the King's Peace, are called to investigate the murder of midwife and healer Agatha Kyteler. Suspects include a young farmer, but others maintain he could not have done it, and the son of a nobleman, who cannot be found.
*** The two main positives, to me, are the characters and their relationships with ea
Nov 29, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone interested in historical mysteries
This is one of a series of books that I really enjoy. When I have a few spare moments I like to unwind with Michael Jeck's mysteries. They're humorous, interesting, and accessible. They take place in Medieval England and appear very historically accurate. This one is great and I really want to finish, but I'm stuck 2/3 of the way through just because I fall asleep before I get a chance to read!!!!
David Serxner
Mar 13, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I get Michael Jeck's books sent to me from by my family in England, as I do not know if you can get them in the States. He does his research. The books are excellent--very well written. I like a good mystery, and these most certainly are!
Jan 16, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
Second book in a historical mystery series set after the fall of Jerusalem and featuring a Templar returning to England to take over his dead brothers estates that is looking to be a good one. The first 2 books have been lots of fun. I'll be reading more of them.
Jul 07, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A great medieval mystery. i plan on reading more books in this series. there humor in the book, but not so much as to take away the suspense.
Feb 27, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Reread this mystery. Still enjoying the series.
Christopher Taylor
Having read many of the older books in this series, it was interesting to pick up and see one so early on. This is a long series that moves through time, so the characters age and events in medieval England are taking place which affect them, particularly the turbulent reign of King Edward II.

This story takes place at home for Sir Baldwin, and is a more simple mystery than most of the later stories. An older wise woman (considered a witch by some) dies, and the suspects pile up. Baldwin is singl
Carol Burton
Mar 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a book I had read before, but many years ago. So it was like reading it for the first time, I thoroughly enjoyed it.
Agatha an old woman thought by some to be a witch is murdered and her body found in the snow beneath a hedge. Baldwin and Simon must investigate and find her killer, the suspect seems obvious, especially when he runs away and must be found. That is until another comes onto their list. A beautiful woman who has just become a widow when her cruel husband is also murdered. Ba
Het tweede deel van de Sir Baldwin mysteries is weer erg spannend. Als het kruidenvrouwtje Agatha Kyteler vermoord wordt aangetroffen hebben baljuw Simon Puttock en Sir Baldwin een zware taak voor zich om de dader te pakken te krijgen. Een tweede moord kan niet voorkomen worden en alles wijst in beide gevallen op een jonge boer als zijnde de moordenaar. Hebben Sir Baldwin en Simon de moorden opgelost met zijn arrestatie of moeten ze nog verder op pad in het koude winterse Devonshire. Er is immer ...more
Feb 03, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I loved the story line throughout this novel. It held my fascination throughout. A big part of my enjoyment was the interaction between the characters and the way Michael Jecks gave pointers throughout the book as to the real identity of the killer, whilst leading the reader to believe it could only be one of the others. I like to be kept guessing till virtually the end of the story.
I'm glad I got this book for free, from a patient's parent (who kindly gave us a whole bag of books) because I'd feel disappointed if I'd had to pay for it - I figured out the whodunnit almost immediately.
Euan Pollock
Feb 17, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Really like it. A bit of a slow start, I thought, but it really picked up the pace and kept the true wrongdoer a secret until the end, although the clues were there throughout. Looking forward to reading the rest of the series
Jul 23, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
La estructura de la narración varia bastante a lo largo del libro, en un principio es demasiado detallista para al final ser muy general en su descripción.
Feb 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone
Recommended to Elizabeth by: Myself
Sep 20, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting plot but I don't think the writing was especially strong. There was some sloppiness in the consistency of the dialogue. A character would reveal some pertinent information and then the sleuths appeared to know nothing about it until they discovered these facts later. Jecks is still learning how to "manage" his characters.
Nov 10, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Medieval murder mystery fans.
This, #2, in the Knights' Templar Series, is a most enjoyable, well researched, medieval "who-dunnit".

The story opens with the brutal murder of Agatha Kyteler, who the villagers accuse of being a witch. As Sir Baldwin and his visiting friend, Bailiff Simon Puttock, are investigating the first killing, an unlikable merchant, Alan Trevellyn, is also brutally murdered in a similar fashion. The plot proceeds from there as the two try to solve the crimes and see if there is a connection from the past
Sandra Strange
It took me a bit to get into this historical mystery set at the end of the Crusades, with protagonists a "retired" Knight Templar and a castle bailiff. The background will educate you about how Medieval people lived and their patterns of thinking. And the mysteries are well drawn, capturing the brutality of living in that particular society. Good puzzles, engaging characters, a good novel--but adult, dealing with adult issues, both violence, abuse, and sex, though nothing explicit. I like the fa ...more
Jun 22, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
For some reason this particular book took a lot more effort to climb into than Jecks's books usually do, but it was worth it. The characters are always very vivid and believable, even the fringe ones who don't have quite as big a role. And this remains my favorite medieval mystery series because of the effort he takes to explain the life around the cases. It's not just mysteries that happen to be set in the medieval era; the time intrinsically influences the crimes and how they are solved.
This o
Nancy Ellis
No self-respecting series of medieval mysteries would leave out a book about the death of a witch! This second Knights Templar mystery takes care of that issue in this installment with the brutal murder of Agatha Kyteler, acclaimed by the villagers to be a witch, followed by the similar brutal murder of a universally-disliked merchant. Bailiff Simon and his friend Sir Baldwin investigate and uncover the link from the past between the two, and of course, solve the crimes. Although not as well-wri ...more
Deborah Pickstone
Jecks has a formula and it works. I would give his books (so far) 31/2 stars if I could so will be generous and say 4. The half I would have left off is my disappointment with formulaic anything. I will never be held spellbound but I can always be sure of his books being readable. His research also seems pretty sound, which is the main despair factor for me with Medieval etc fiction - so maybe I was being stingy in the first place? Ha!
Sep 07, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Most authors improve with practice, whereas in Jecks's case he seems to have deteriorated - don't get me wrong, I always enjoy the actual story/plot, also the interaction between Baldwin, Simon, & the servant whose name I've temporarily forgotten(!), but, the continuity tends to be appalling (a fact I'm willing to overlook for the sake of the story), whereas in this early book I barely spotted anything which had me reaching for my metaphorical red pen!
Text Addict
Great historical fiction, set in medieval England. Excellent characterization, real understanding of trade and economics of the time, and a plot that hangs together pretty well. A bit like a police procedural, really, except for it being medieval and all. I think I have the first volume around here somewhere, but didn't get around to reviewing it. I'll definitely look for more.
Brian Abshier
Jan 04, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was by far my favorite Knights Templar mystery so of the series so far. I have read up to Stickle Path Strangler at the moment. The beginnings of the books are not always the quickest to become ensnared in, but I always assure myself that after a few chapters it will become engrossing and immensely enjoyable. I haven't been wrong yet. Great book!
Mar 25, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent `who done it' in medieval times, history brought to life within it's pages.
All characters portrayed so no sudden new arrivals at the end to put you off balance but never knew to the last pages who the worst culprit was.
Nov 20, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the second book of the series. I read it first but it didn't matter. Great story about solving a murder mystery in the 1300's. The knight Baldwin and the bailiff Simon team up to solve the crime. If you like historical fiction you will enjoy this feudal period mystery story.
I guess it might be a bit of a bad sign that I can barely remember this story and I only read it a couple months ago.
So far this series is a standard, run of the mill, medieval mystery. Easy to read, good mystery and likeable characters.
The Knight's Templar series follows a predictable formula of lots of people getting killed and the 2 main killers using their wits to solve the crimes. However, I enjoy the historical aspect and following the characters.
  • The Devil's Hunt (Hugh Corbett, #10)
  • The Sanctuary Seeker (Crowner John Mystery #1)
  • The Ravens of Blackwater (Domesday, #2)
  • The Prince of Darkness (Hugh Corbett, #5)
  • A Spy for the Redeemer (Owen Archer, #7)
  • Death of a Squire (Templar Knight Mystery #2)
  • The Plymouth Cloak (Roger the Chapman, #2)
Michael Jecks is a best-selling writer of historical novels. The son of an Actuary, and the youngest of four brothers, he worked in the computer industry before becoming a novelist full time in 1994

He is the author of the internationally popular Templar series, perhaps the longest crime series written by a living author. Unusually, the series looks again at actual events and murders committed abou
More about Michael Jecks...

Knights Templar (1 - 10 of 32 books)
  • The Last Templar (Knights Templar, #1)
  • A Moorland Hanging  (Knights Templar, #3)
  • The Crediton Killings (Knights Templar, #4)
  • The Abbot's Gibbet (Knights Templar, #5)
  • The Leper's Return (Knights Templar, #6)
  • Squire Throwleigh's Heir (Knights Templar, #7)
  • Belladonna at Belstone (Knights Templar, #8)
  • The Traitor of St Giles (Knights Templar, #9)
  • The Boy-Bishop's Glovemaker (Knights Templar, #10)
  • The Tournament of Blood (Knights Templar, #11)

Mystery & Thrillers Deals

• Fractured
  • Never Smile at Strangers
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Furious (Faith McMann Trilogy #1)
    $3.99 $2
  • Where Eagles Dare
  • Alone
    $17.99 $2.99
  • Cocoa Beach
    $13.99 $1.99
  • Moriarty (Sherlock Holmes, #2)
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Idaho
    $12.99 $1.99
  • Dead Letters
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Phantom (Alexander Hawke, #7)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Working Fire
    $3.99 $2.00
  • The Barkeep
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Blur  (Blur Trilogy #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Her Last Day (Jessie Cole, #1)
    $3.99 $2.00