Start by marking “From the Library of C. S. Lewis” as Want to Read:
From the Library of C. S. Lewis

From the Library of C. S. Lewis

Discover great truths from C. S. Lewis’s mentors

C. S. Lewis was perhaps the greatest Christian thinker of the twentieth century. He delighted us in The Chronicles of Narnia, intrigued us in The Screwtape Letters, mystified us in The Space Trilogy, and convinced us in Mere Christianity. His influence on generations of Christians has been immeasurable.

But who influenced C.
Published February 19th 2009 by WaterBrook (first published November 16th 2004)

To ask other readers questions about From the Library of C. S. Lewis, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about From the Library of C. S. Lewis

Jamie
May 18, 2017 Jamie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Sharing some favorite selections for the Inklings discussion! http://booksandbeverages.org/2017/05/...
logankstewart
From the Library of C.S. Lewis is a reference book filled with selections from C.S. Lewis’ personal library. This book, compiled by James Stuart Bell and Anthony Dawson, is broken into eighteen sections. The primary focus of the book is to highlight works (and writers) who influenced Lewis’ spiritual journey, as Lewis is regarded as one of the finest Christian thinkers of the 20th Century. There are a few other sections that are not dedicated to religion (such as a section on fantasy & imagi ...more
Sheila
C.S. Lewis didn’t become famous and influential in isolation. His writing was fuelled not just by his thoughts, but also by his reading and the thoughts of others. James Stuart Bell’s compilation gives readers access to those volumes and authors beloved and well-read by Lewis. It’s an interesting collection covering centuries of writing and a fascinating breadth of philosophies and belief.

The excerpts are all short, few covering more than a page, and each is tagged with the name of the writer an
Margaret Chind
Jun 14, 2012 Margaret Chind rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Margaret by: WaterBrook Multnomah Blogging for Books
I am in love with the concept behind the From the Library of C. S. Lewis: Selections from Writers Who Influenced His Spiritual Journey books compiled by James Stuart Bell. Wouldn't you love to enjoy the same works of authors that influenced C.S. Lewis?! Well with this one book you can save a lot of shelf space and still enjoy inspiration writing that may indeed have inspired the ultimate inspirer in C.S. Lewis. Whether you use this as a daily devotion or just research, it is interesting and enjo ...more
booklady
Mar 10, 2008 booklady rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: any Christian
A friend and I were going to read this book together. Indeed this is an excellent book for that purpose! It is an anthology of authors and writings which most profoundly influenced the great Christian apologist, C. S. Lewis and as such is doubly rich. First, each of the selections can be read and appreciated for and on its own merit and secondly, it can be viewed from the perspective of the influence it had on Lewis and his works.

From the Library of C. S. Lewis consists of almost 200 selections
Coyle
Jan 21, 2013 Coyle rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
So... this book took me a lot longer to get through that it probably should have (sorry publishers and Blogging for Books!), though in my defense this book is long (402 pages) and a bit of a slog.

From the Library of C.S. Lewis is a collection of quotations and passages from the books that were on C.S. Lewis's shelves or mentioned in his works. In runs the whole spectrum, ranging from ancient to modern and Protestant to Catholic to Orthodox (I don't remember there being any major non-Christian so
Leah
C. S. Lewis is one of the greatest and most popular Christian thinkers and writers of the 20th century. He is best known for The Chronicles of Narnia series, but he also wrote such great works as The Screwtape Letters and Mere Christianity.

James Stuart Bell along with Anthony P. Dawson put together a collection of work from the library of C.S. Lewis. These are the writers, the thinkers, the people, the works that inspire Lewis. Bell writes in the introduction, "Yet, except for the scholars doing
Jackie Hilaire
Jan 29, 2016 Jackie Hilaire rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned-books
Your God is Too Small. J B Phillips

If you are a C.S. Lewis reader, you don't want to miss this book on Lewis' influential authors and mentors. Most of us have been influenced by people who we hold in high regard. When we quote a book, author, poem etc. it is because these authors have contributed to our life's journey and have helped us on our way.

I can't begin to quote all the authors, there are so many to be contemplated. Many are simple, other's need more attention but you will gain wisdom fr
Erin Cataldi
Jul 30, 2012 Erin Cataldi rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Understanding theology and philosophy of religion is a daunting task. Thankfully this compilation of prolific writers, saints, and theologians is tactfully cut up into bite size portions that the average person can digest and understand. James Stuart Bell takes the most significant passages from Christian writers and thinkers that influenced the masterpieces of C. S. Lewis and puts them all together in this great work. Bell even goes so far as to write a short biography of each individual quoted ...more
Donna
Jun 26, 2012 Donna rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
C.S. Lewis was a masterful writer. Who were the people who influenced his life? What books and authors would you find in his library if he were alive today? In his new book, James S. Bell, with Anthony Dawson, answers these questions and more.

C.S. Lewis was a prolific writer of such classics as the "Chronicles of Narnia" and "The Screwtape Letters." His Christian beliefs ran deep and he used writing as a way to express himself. But, givers must also find resources for their own strength, and C.S
Keith
Feb 17, 2010 Keith rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
There is one way to get behind the genius and the character of a man: look at this library. Granted, you assume that he's read everything that's there. But even if half of the library is half-read, you've got something to go on. I have profited spiritually and intellectually from this book. There are tidbits upon tidbits from the authors that Lewis read and marked/remarked about. I chose to read it "devotionally," that is, just a page or two at a time. I'm glad I did. It took me longer but I pro ...more
Joel
Mar 14, 2013 Joel rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
It is difficult to appreciate these types of anthologies for what they were created for. Well, now that I think about it, I guess they were--primarily--created for money-making endeavors not necessarily to offer words of wisdom.

Anyway, while the selections included herein are pertinent and, at times, powerful they lack the build-up that the original authors created. It's like reading the punch-line of a joke without the context; it just doesn't work.

However, with included authors like Barfield,
Tommy Grooms
Nov 14, 2016 Tommy Grooms rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
From the Library of C.S. Lewis is a wonderfully accessible collection of passages from great thinkers who influenced Lewis, arranged thematically. It was fun to see some of the germs of Lewis' thought extant here. The format is perfect: though the ideas are at times lofty and esoteric, the bite-size nature allows them to be puzzled out as necessary. The brief biographical notes also helped put into context why the authors were influential to Lewis, though one wishes there were a bit more detail ...more
Meghann
I bought this book to get a better idea of the authors who influenced C.S. Lewis and to find some new authors to explore beyond this book. I still think that is the best way to use this book. I am always afraid that by reading just a small excerpt from a work that I am going to take things out of context or not understand the author's true intent. That being said, the book contained some very interesting excerpts from books, essays and poems of various authors. But it is just a jumping off point ...more
Susie
Jan 18, 2010 Susie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Since I love C.S. Lewis in all forms, I thought this would be an interesting book. It has one-two page excerpts from writers he admired and who (presumably) played a role in his literary and philosophical development. For the most part, the pieces and writers are well chosen, although much of this is not light reading. It is a good book to dip into a few pages at a time, which leaves time to reflect on the writer's comments before moving on.
Kelli
Aug 14, 2011 Kelli rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is nice enough. It is very scatterbrained and seems just different people quoted slightly at random. CS Lewis was a prolific writer, so the people he read had to have been very prolific as well...and they were. Their is a variety of quotes, in this book, of great theologians and scholars. Its not a book to read straight thru. It would be very heavy if one did that. But it is nice from time to time to look into it.
Bryan
Apr 19, 2010 Bryan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Christians, Spiritual Seekers, C.S. Lewis enthusiasts,
I was able to read the first quarter or so of this book and thoroughly enjoyed it. I've taken it off my shelf simply because I don't see myself being able to come back to it within the next year or so.

It's a collection of page-long quotes from a plethora of amazing people who gave us great examples of how to serve God in the name of Christ. I loved it, and if you get the chance I'd recommend taking a look through.
Green Lyons
May 11, 2011 Green Lyons rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I thought the book was incredible. the only objection i have is that now i have a long list of other authors i need to read extensively to even begin to grasp some really intense theology that was touched upon in these excerpts. so its not actually an objection at all, just going to be tough on my pocket book. regardless, this book make me feel excited and humbled. thank you for compiling, james bell!
Shelley
Jun 27, 2008 Shelley rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: lovers of the writings of C.S. Lewis
Recommended to Shelley by: Dawn Thompson
I gave it four stars because I couldn't give it five since a good portion of this book took a lot of brain power for busy shelley! It was well worth the energy I put out! If I could comprehend the brilliant things some of the authors were writing it would most surely get a five star!! I totally loved running into the writings of the wife of C.S. Lewis...we could've talked over a cup of tea!
Ted
Nov 25, 2008 Ted rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was reminded of how brilliant Lewis is at taking difficult concepts and making them accessible and intuitive. Many of these excerpts were difficult for one reason or another - but I could see the gem that Lewis pulled out of each, polished, and presented to his lucky readers.

Perhaps I'm lazy, but I think I'll continue to rely on Lewis, rather than spending a lot more time on his sources!
Peter Walton-Jones
This is a collection of assorted classics which influenced the writing and thinking of C S Lewis. The writings are snippets i.e. short so are designed to be introductions to classical spiritual thought and/or as devotionals to be meditated on over time rather than simply read through.
Lara
Apr 22, 2008 Lara rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: spiritual
What we read shapes our thoughts-- How intriguing to read what a great mind like C.S. Lewis read. I loved the selections chosen to sample his library. Favorites were articles that no one really reads or talks about anymore. I love the antiquity of this collection--
Matt
Sep 30, 2013 Matt rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
It introduced me to some good authors, reminded me of others I already liked, and in a couple instances gave me some forgettable pages. The selections were sometimes not the most representative, and the section titles were a little obscure. It is a little heavy on sanctification perhaps.
Brian
Excellent! By reading bits of those who influence Lewis my appetite is whet with dozens of new authors to read.
Timothy Davis
Jan 22, 2008 Timothy Davis rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
If you like C.S. Lewis, you'll like this book.
Amanda Patchin
Jul 09, 2010 Amanda Patchin rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Could have been so much more...
Ron
Selected readings from writers Lewis admired and referred to. Some a bit opaque, but most interesting in their own right.
Rachel Fontenot Studio
I am using this book as a daily devotional for this year. It's an amazing book. It is filled with writtings from all the old spiritual greats of history. Timeless. Classic.
Mdbeltrano
Jan 17, 2016 Mdbeltrano rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned
Lewis is one of my favorite authors, I liked the "springboard" this book gave me into reading more of the authors that influenced him and so on.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • The Philosophy of Thomas Aquinas
  • The Old Testament (Great Courses, #653)
  • Music of Silence: A Sacred Journey Through the Hours of the Day
  • Hope of the Gospel
  • Poustinia: Encountering God in Silence, Solitude and Prayer (Madonna House Classics Vol.1)
  • Teresa of Ávila: An Extraordinary Life
  • The Lessons of Saint Francis: How to Bring Simplicity and Spirituality into Your Daily Life
  • Jesus Rediscovered
  • 7 Secrets of Confession
  • Pulling Down Strongholds
  • The One Thing Is Three: How the Most Holy Trinity Explains Everything
  • When the Well Runs Dry: Prayer Beyond the Beginnings
  • Called to Life
  • Navigating the Interior Life: Spiritual Direction and the Journey to God
  • Uniformity with God's Will
  • Theology of His Body/Theology of Her Body: Discovering the Strength & Mission of Masculinity/Discovering the Beauty and Mystery of Femininity
  • Saint Paul
  • Why Catholics are Right

James Stuart Bell, Jr., was director of religious publishing at Doubleday, executive director of Bridge Publishing, and executive editor at Moody Publishing. He has written or consulted for more than a dozen other Christian publishers. At present he is the owner of Whitestone Communications, Inc., a literary development agency. His roles include writer, editor, compiler, packager, publishing cons
More about James Stuart Bell Jr....