Start by marking “Blind Alley (Eve Duncan, #5)” as Want to Read:
Blind Alley (Eve Duncan, #5)

Blind Alley (Eve Duncan #5)

4.03  ·  Rating details ·  10,458 Ratings  ·  273 Reviews
The New York Times bestselling author of Firestorm, Iris Johansen, returns with a psychological thriller so terrifying, so relentlessly paced, it won’t leave you time to catch your breath before the next shock comes. A forensic sculptor is locked in a deadly duel with a serial killer determined to destroy her—one life at a time.

Eve Duncan’s job is to put a face on the face
Published September 14th 2004 by Bantam (first published 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Blind Alley, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Blind Alley

Kim
Dec 30, 2008 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobooks, fiction
Characters are completely unrealistic. The plot is full of holes and also completely unrealistic. And the most annoying part of this is that the author seems to think, or pretends, that the story and characters are perfectly plausible.

I would not recommend this book.
Scott Rhee
Iris Johansen's "Blind Alley" is the 24th book in her series featuring forensic sculptor Eve Duncan, but it's the first one I've read. Duncan basically works for the police, who bring her bodies that are unrecognizable due to decay. Her job is to "reconstruct" the faces of the victims, so that the police can have a picture to work with. Apparently, this is an actual forensic science. In "Blind Alley", Eve's husband (a cop, of course) recruits her to reconstruct a body in a case he's working on. ...more
Phani Tholeti
May 08, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: teen and beginners
Shelves: teenage
A 17 year old who is worse risk taker than a pro-gambler, and is yet mature than both her around-30 yr old foster parents. A mature teenager is fine, but a super-teen?? This is more in the Hardy boys/Nancy Drew lines. And why even call it a "forensic" mystery? All the forensics that was seen in the entire story is just two facial reconstructions, which could have been just anything else, maybe photos dropped at the crime scene would have served as well, the forensic part was kind of forced into ...more
Cj W
Eve Duncan. She's lost a child. Not just lost, but the daughter was taken from her, kidnapped. And has never been found, and for any Mother, that is the most horrifying thing to ever imagine.

She finds ways to deal with her pain.
She becomes a forensic artist.
Using clay and skill to give faceless victims, their faces back. Giving hope to the victims survivors, and bringing the wrongdoer to justice.

She also has taken in a teenager. One who's past is fraught with despair and neglect. She has com
Breia
Nov 30, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5 stars. I liked the plot but it was extremely unrealistic - not that I am looking for true crime but this was not plausible and I had a hard time linking the characters together.

And Jane and Trevor - That's not something I'm interested in. Yikes.
Elizabeth Noah Astle
Aug 04, 2011 rated it really liked it
Jill Bratcher
This is the third Eve Duncan book I've read. While I read it just as fast as the others I didn't think I enjoyed it quite as much.

I don't think the problem was entirely that the focus was on her adopted daughter Jane, but it just didn't captivate me I the same way. I liked it okay - not saying I didn't; it was just different.

This one was set several years after the others; Jane is 17, a licensed driver, thinking about the direction her life will take - and having nightmares that may or may not
Leann
Jul 20, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: All Johansen and Eve Duncan Fans, Mystry fans
Alysha
Jun 21, 2015 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I have read a lot of this series and for the most part, have enjoyed it. I looked forward to reading more about Eve's adopted daughter, Jane. However, this book was difficult to finish. The only reason I did was to figure out some of the historical references mentioned in the books later in the series.

Jane was portrayed as vacillating between a whiny brat and a manipulative b*tch. I understand that Cira played a part in this portrayal, but it made me wish that Eve and Joe would act like her fre
Marjolein
Read all my reviews on http://urlphantomhive.booklikes.com

I read Blind Alley, which is the fifth book in the Eve Duncan series after reading book six, Countdown. Of course that was a fantastic idea . Either way, I wouldn't recommend it as this leaves you with a lot of spoilers for Blind Alley.

If you can set aside the complete unrealism that surrounds the story, it is actually quite an entertaining read. I read it a few years ago when I went to one of my suspense-phases in which I would read a
Amy Burns
I thought this book was just okay.
It was definitely not my favorite in this series.

I give it a C.

Here is how I rate my books:
A+ - Awesome book - couldn't put it down.
A - Really good book - would read it again and again.
B+ - Good book - would maybe read it again.
B - Good book - wouldn't read it again.
C - Okay book - would definitely never read it again.
F - Worst book EVER.
Maria
Jul 25, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked the characters of Jane, Eve, Joe, and Trevor. Too many dialogues that did not seem relevant to the plot. The ending seemed somewhat anticlimactic. I could not get around the attraction between Trevor and Jane.
Terralyn Brown Barfield
This series is hard to put down. If you haven’t read the Eve Duncan, forensic sculptor series, start with them in order, as her relationships grow and change.
Jennifer Landy
Sep 25, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Couldn't finish it. Just weird. Usually like these characters.
Judith Wrinkle
Oct 17, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mysteries
Love her books so much, but fear that they temp me when I should be doing chores...........Oh well, such is life.
Julie Spiech Collier
Good Read

Good story line, detail expertly told just some of it could have been wrapped up quicker. A bit drawn out
Evelyn
Sep 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Blind Alley (Eve Duncan #5) by Iris Johansen. Very good reading. Lots of action and mystery.
Jody
Sep 20, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned
I love that Jane is becoming a more independent character. Still great action. Ready for the next installment :)
Patricia Gulley
The characters in this book sure need a lot of reassurance of love and sympathy. No way do I believe Jane is 17 years old.
K Z
Aug 10, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This book was ok. Kind of predictable, the climax of the story was very short-lived and felt anti-climatic.
Kim
Feb 27, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Some authors are able to write protagonists who are not in law enforcement yet are able to solve crimes without imperiling themselves. Eve Duncan is not such a protagonist. Each book in this series so far could have been called "The Perils of Eve". I also wondered why Eve and Quinn did not choose to contact Logan for support in this book. I would have liked to have seen Sean Galen back.
Heather
Oct 21, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Blind Alley: An Eve Duncan Forensics Thriller is a book I found via the online public library, so I went into it not realizing it was part of a series. It made some sense despite that, though; Ms. Johansen made this book stand alone fairly well.

Jane and Trevor are interesting characters. I did feel that Jane warmed up to Trevor too easily, but when you remind yourself that the grown-up-seeming Jane is actually still a teenager, it makes enough sense. Jane displays a nice duality: she’s mature en
Danielle Young
I am a huge fan of the Eve Duncan series, and I have read just about every book in the series. Granted out of order, but I have read them. What I love about the series is the consistency. The consistency of the characters, the action, suspense and the over all ride. But I am sad to say that I did not find this book very consistent.

Oh, it was consistent in the fact that it delivered suspense and an all around decent ride. The thing that had me seething was the inconsistency with the characters.
JBradford
Blind Alley, by Iris Johansen (06-22-14, three stars)

Another serial killer crawls into Eve Duncan’s life, and this one strikes a very personal note. Eve, now recognized as a famous forensic reconstructionist, is asked by her policeman husband to drop everything to work on a new skull, from the body of a young woman whose face had been removed by the killers knife. When she reconstructs the girl’s facial features, she is shocked to discover an uncanny resemblance to her own adopted daughter. The
Joy
Jan 18, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Eve Duncan’s job is to put a face on the faceless victims of violent crimes. Her work not only comforts their survivors—but helps catch their killers. But there is another, more personal reason that Eve Duncan is driven to do the kind of work she does—a dark nightmare from a past she can never bury. And as she works on the skull of a newly discovered victim, that past is about to return all over again.

The victim is a Jane Doe found murdered, her face erased beyond recognition. But whoever killed
Shamoiya
Mar 06, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I don't believe I've read this book at least twenty times, I believe I jumped into it and lived through every character in twenty different lifetimes. I feel the haunting pain Eve still feels ten years later, after loosing Bonnie; I embrace the defiant and keen mind set of Jane and taken aback by the sultry, raw almost vulgar passion of Cira. I'm seduced by the handsome, cunning, knowledgeable Trevor and the humble and observant yet lethal Joe; annoyed but fascinated by the psychotic mind of Ald ...more
April
Jan 01, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Okay, so I really, really love Eve's adopted daughter, Jane. And since this book (and the next) focus on Jane's adventures rather than on Eve or any of Eve's friends... WIN!

This one, though - it was perhaps one of the scarier ones in the series thus far, because it concerns a killer that is targeting 17-year-old Jane MacGuire, not either Eve or Joe.

It was a little unrealistic though, I will admit, because Jane is - as some other reviewers have pointed out - a "super teen." She's not only tough a
Louise
Mar 22, 2009 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
This is the first Iris Johansen novel I've ever read. The story was okay but felt this author lacked something? Couldn't quite put my finger on it.

From back cover:

"Her job is to put a face on the victims of violent crimes. But as forensic sculptor Eve Duncan works on the skull of a newly discovered victim, she's about to get the shock of her life. The murdered Jane Doe's face has been erased beyond recognition. But whoever killed her wasn't trying to hide her identity. The plan is far more horri
Shannon
Dec 07, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Okay, so I'm not entirely sure why we reference these books as "Eve Duncan" series. This book does include Eve, again as more of a supporting character rather than the lead.

That being said, this story is Jane's. Jane has grown and is now seventeen years old, and wise beyond her years. When a serial murderer "Aldo" sets his sites on Jane, Eve and Joe are, of course, on the job to keep Jane safe with the help of Mr. Barlett and Mark Trevor.

I would consider this book, overall, to be a romantic susp
Nicole
Dec 12, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I checked this book out at the library and after adding it to my currently reading shelf I checked out the reviews. I was a little worried after reading the reviews that it was going to be a bad book. Since I already had it, I thought I would give it a try. I actually enjoyed this book. It hints at reincarnation which I don't believe in. There are some unrealistic events in the book which ruined the book for some people but I looked at it as good entertainment. I enjoyed the story and the charac ...more
  • Sense of Evil (Bishop/Special Crimes Unit #6)
  • Blow Out (FBI Thriller, #9)
  • Born To Die (To Die, #3)
  • The Alibi Man (Elena Estes, #2)
Iris Johansen is a New York Times bestselling author. She began her writing after her children left home for college. She first achieved success in the early 1980s writing category romances. In 1991, Johansen began writing suspense historical romance novels, starting with the publication of The Wind Dancer. In 1996 Johansen switched genres, turning to crime fiction, with which she has had great su ...more
More about Iris Johansen...

Eve Duncan (1 - 10 of 23 books)
  • The Face Of Deception (Eve Duncan, #1)
  • The Killing Game (Eve Duncan, #2)
  • The Search (Eve Duncan, #3)
  • Body of Lies (Eve Duncan, #4)
  • Countdown (Eve Duncan, #6)
  • Stalemate (Eve Duncan, #7)
  • Quicksand (Eve Duncan, #8)
  • Blood Game (Eve Duncan, #9)
  • Eight Days To Live (Eve Duncan, #10)
  • Chasing The Night (Eve Duncan, #11; Catherine Ling, #1)