Start by marking “Sweet Enemy” as Want to Read:
Sweet Enemy

Sweet Enemy (MacFadden Romance #179)

3.87  ·  Rating details ·  764 Ratings  ·  31 Reviews
Wholesome Maggie Kirk had always been wary of commanding cowboy Clint Raygen. So if her best friend's forbidding older brother rubbed her the wrong way, how come she'd chosen his ranch to recover from a broken heart? She knew the dangers that her foe posed...yet every time she crossed paths with the hard-edged cattle rancher, her pulse would race out of control. Maggie sec ...more
Published August 2009 by Harlequin (first published 1979)

To ask other readers questions about Sweet Enemy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sweet Enemy

Danielle The Book Huntress (Back to the Books)
This is by far the meanest Diana Palmer hero, and that's saying something. I wanted to get out my extra-large titanium shovel to brain this jive turkey with. I don't think I've ever given a Diana Palmer book a C and hope never to again, other than this book, which is a C-. My dream ending would be for Maggie to walk into the sunset with a better man, and certainly not Clint.

I love you Diana Palmer, so I'll forgive you for this one that you wrote earlier on in your career.
Ana M. Román
Necesitaba un respiro de mi lectura actual y las historias de Diana Palmer siempre son una buena opción: breves y sin sobresaltos. Ideales para cuando necesito darme un descanso a mí y a mi cabeza.

Aún así de entre sus libros, prácticamente iguales uno a otros pero cambiando el nombre de los protagonistas, es bastante flojo.
Jan 04, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
One thing sorely missing from these earlier works of Palmer are consummation scenes and baby-filled epilogues. Angst, asshole heroes and sweet virgin heroines are there which always makes her books a 4star for me.
Apr 15, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Diana Palmer Fans, Readers who want a break from Paranormal and mainstream genres
Yes Diana Palmer books can be a little repetitive at times but I really love her stuff. Call me crazy or it could be the fact that I haven't read anything by her in months but I loved this story. Its nice to take a break from all the vampire romance and murder mystery novels and read something like this. I really don't understand why people are being so harsh about this book. It was written in 1979. Thank about it people. That's 32 years ago. If you went back in time just ten or fifteen years th ...more
Alexis-Morgan Roark
Well, heck. This guy was a jerk, supreme, but damn he is one alpa male. The jerk!

What you would expect in the genre during the 80s and from an earlier Diana Palmer: virginal heroine; alpha jerk hero who despises women but has secretly loved the younger heroine since she was even younger yet has NO problems sleeping with beautiful women while he works out his commitment/fear of the "L"-word issues. The "other" L-word. Think 80s not 2000s.

It was kinda funny!

A fast, fun, sensual (no sex scenes!) re
Jan 10, 2009 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2010
I'm not sure how I ended up with this book. But I am very glad that I did not go out and actually pay money for it. The hero is an arrogant, emotionally abusive jerk. He spends the entire book being cruel to the heroine and making her feel stupid with the mind games he plays with her. I don't understand how she could love this man after all he put her through. I also don't understand how the readers at the end were supposed to be happy for this couple when her reveals his love for the heroine. A ...more
Kaycee ❤️
I liked it. Ms. Palmer's books can be a little repetitive at times but I can't get enough of them. I'm a sucker for older hero/younger heroine trope and that both of them dealing with a love/hate internal struggle.

I love it when they fight, maybe it’s because it’s a passionate emotion of some kind and I know buried behind that anger or frustration or whatever is the deep love they have for each other. But the ending was kind of rushed. I wanted an epilogue, but I know that Ms. Palmer's rarely o
Amanda Sheila
May 14, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I kind of like it. :)

Maggie and Clint's like cat and mouse. They've been fighting and arguing since forever. But after Maggie's engagement is being hold because cheating fiancé, she's forced to go back to her hometown and meet Clint. But then her feeling's bloom. And towards Clint.

I like it. Mostly because the angst and the way Clint treated Maggie. I always love that kind of relationship. :)

Especially when he hurts her feeling. Gah! I loved it. :)
Jun 12, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love quick and easy romance novels. I usually read them when I'm in a slump and picked this one up this morning. Really cute story about a girl and her best friends brother. Really fast paced and has definitely made me want to read some others like it.
Apr 22, 2015 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Boring and I didn't like hero or heroine.
I liked this story but the male MC at times was a real b___hole. He teased and tormented Maggie all the time. He did have a big age split between him and Maggie. She has been in love with Clint forever. They do have a HEA but it is a long and painful road to get there.
Mary Lou Hanshaw
Jun 30, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It was more romance than mystery.
Christie P.
Nov 05, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone
Shelves: contemporary
"It's just what you need." Famous last words spoken by Maggie Kirk's soon to be former best friend, Janna Raygen.

Janna thinks sending Maggie away to her brother's, Clint, ranch in Texas will be the best sort of R&R a person needs. Maggie isn't inclined to agree.

Maggie and Clint have butted heads since she was a teenager and she doesn't think being the only target available for his attention is going to help.

Clint has always found fault with Maggie and it tears her apart hearing the first man
Mar 01, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ebooks
Another emotional roller coaster ride! Maggie's loved her best friend's brother since she was a child who stuck to him like glue. Clint adored the child, but when the child was becoming a woman, he became uncomfortable with her adoration. Scaring her away was easy, and becoming enemies proved the best way to stay at arms length. At Clint's sister's waggling, Clint agrees to let Maggie stay at the ranch while she heal a broken heart. Sparking Maggie to life comes easy to Clint but dealing with hi ...more
Desiree reilly
Oct 10, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
this is new series that i am reading and it great book here a 17 year friend and family
friend love the main man and why not he a hunk but can be a idiot two. Maggie is going
to the ranch to work for couple of week for Clint the owner and older brother of her best
friend. Well the love is in the air and now she is older and mature she still have love
for Clint and he has f or her but he wont say why or how come. Well maggeie does leave
and then accident happen and Clint has to rescue her and then do
This is one of her -- sort of -- darker books. The male mc is very alpha and has a habit of sniping on the female mc. He verbally abusive at one or two points.

Frankly, if it had been me, I would have taken a 2x4 to him and told him to shove it.

There was one point where it had a minute paranormal event with the female mc and a man named Duke. I liked him and was sad at what happened.

It was an okay read but not one of my favorites.
Oct 17, 2010 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance
This is one that is very much a formula that the author uses a lot. Main girl is in love with her best friend's brother and has been since childhood. I know I've said this before but I'll say it again...this is also a case of the main character is too young to make this story believable. In a "where are they now" update I don't think these two characters would still be together.
Jan 20, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance
This was a quick read, but a good one. I read this book completely in one sitting.

I liked both Maggie and Clint, but especially Clint. He was the perfect cowboy and then still a man. Loved it. I could feel the words surround me and actually felt my heart leap as if I were Maggie.

I really liked it.
Nov 01, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance
This is an average, highly formulaic romance. Super cad incapable of recognising his own feelings vs virginal ingenue who is supposedly feisty but can't really make up her mind all set on a prosperous cattle ranch complete with devoted house keeper. A quick pleasant read but not much more.
Very much enjoyed it, although the hero was more cruel than normal.. Seemed like he was repeating the same cycle over and over again!! And I wish that Duke Masterson could have had his own book!
Art Coakes
It's a modern day Ranch . Only to have a rich owner to run it with my way attitude.Very controlling and cold as ice with the ladies on the Ranch. Then an accident occurs and the reality of emotions set in .Good easy read
Feb 13, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good... Typical Palmer with alpha-idiot hero and naïve idiot heroine and a happy ending!
Oct 15, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this book. I cried, laughed, and sighed. It left me feeling good.
Apr 02, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
it was predictable though i liked the Masterson character. He was a nice change to the story
Oct 13, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love alpha males. Let me say again I love alpha males and no one does them better than Diana Palmer. Maybe I need a cowboy in my life.
Nov 16, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Cute, quick read. I kind of felt like I had read it before, but I think it just reminded me of other stories I have read.
Curly Q
Aug 16, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love book that is funny and lovable.
Oct 08, 2011
  • Substitute Bride
  • The Kouros Marriage Revenge
  • Melting Fire
  • A Sicilian Marriage
  • Captive in His Bed (Knight Brothers, #2)
  • Lone Star Seduction (Texas Cattleman’s Club: Maverick County Millionaires, #6)
  • Shattered Dreams
  • Dangerous Obsession
  • Return to Santa Flores
  • Powerful Greek, Unworldly Wife (Innocent Wives #1)
  • With a Southern Touch: Adam/A Night in Paradise/Garden Cop

Diana Palmer is a pseudonym for author Susan Kyle.

(1)romance author
Susan Eloise Spaeth was born on 11 December 1946 in Cuthbert, Georgia, USA. She was the eldest daughter of Maggie Eloise Cliatt, a nurse and also journalist, and William Olin Spaeth, a college professor. Her mother was part of the women's libera
More about Diana Palmer...

MacFadden Romance (1 - 10 of 269 books)
  • Sweet Deception
  • The Widow and the Wanderer
  • First Love
  • Да обичаш и да бъдеш обичана
  • The Ivory Princess (MacFadden Romance, #5)
  • The Way of Love (MacFadden Romance, #6)
  • Light of Love (MacFadden Romance, #7)
  • Blue Skies, White Sands (MacFadden Romance, #8)
  • The Winds of Paradise (MacFadden Romance, #9)
  • Night of the Tempest (MacFadden Romance, #10)

Romance Deals

• Everything We Keep (Everything #1)
    $3.99 $2
  • A Merciful Truth (Mercy Kilpatrick #2)
    $4.99 $2
  • Before I Knew (The Cabots, #1)
    $3.99 $2
  • Spiraled (Callahan & McLane #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Fatal Pursuit (Aegis, #3)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Not Quite Dating (Not Quite, #1)
  • The Laws of Gravity
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Claiming Bailey (Ace Security #3)
  • The Girl in Times Square: A Novel
    $10.99 $1.99
  • A Daring Arrangement (The Four Hundred, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Not Quite Forever (Not Quite, #4)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Return to Homecoming Ranch (Pine River Book 2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Not Quite Perfect (Not Quite Series, #5)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Fired (Worked Up Book 1)
    $3.99 $2
  • A Merciful Death (Mercy Kilpatrick #1)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Accidentally Hers (Sterling Canyon, #1)
  • The Third Wish: A Novella
    $2.99 $0.99
  • The Mighty Storm (The Storm, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • She Can Run (She Can Series)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Walking on Her Grave (Rogue River, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Repressed (Deadly Secrets, #1)
    $3.99 $2
  • Beautiful Broken Promises (Broken #3)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Chosen (Black Dagger Brotherhood, #15)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • From Sand and Ash
    $3.99 $2.00
  • Dreamology
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Curse Breakers (The Curse Keepers #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Gone (Deadly Secrets, #2)
    $3.99 $2
  • Out of Control (Troubleshooters, #4)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Hour of Need (Scarlet Falls, #1)
  • The Devil's Love
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Chilled (Bone Secrets, #2)
    $4.99 $2.00
  • Not Quite Mine (Not Quite, #2)
    $3.99 $2.00
  • The Curse Keepers (The Curse Keepers #1)
  • Love, Chloe
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Bearly in Control (Shifters Undercover, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • A Love of Vengeance (Wanted Men, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • She Can Hide (She Can, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Not Quite Enough (Not Quite, #3)
  • Sheltering Rain
    $9.49 $1.99
  • She Can Scream (She Can Series, Book 3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • A Fashionable Indulgence (Society of Gentlemen, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Someone like You (Someone to Love, #2)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • All I Need Is You (Thrillseekers Anonymous, #1)