Start by marking “Our Lady of Guadalupe: Mother of the Civilization of Love” as Want to Read:
Our Lady of Guadalupe: Mother of the Civilization of Love

Our Lady of Guadalupe: Mother of the Civilization of Love

4.08  ·  Rating details ·  145 Ratings  ·  26 Reviews
Nearly a decade after Spain's conquest of Mexico, the future of Christianity on the American continent was very much in doubt. Confronted with a hostile colonial government and Native Americans wary of conversion, the newly-appointed bishop-elect of Mexico wrote to tell the King of Spain that, unless there was a miracle, the continent would be lost. Between December 9 and ...more
Published August 4th 2009 by Image (first published 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Our Lady of Guadalupe, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Our Lady of Guadalupe

Matthew
Oct 24, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recently began to understand the significance of the virgin mary in christian/catholic thought. It is very fascinating to read about the significance of an instance of marian apparitions. Especially the significance of the Virgin of Guadalupe since she is the patron of the Americas, and I live in that part of the world.

Excellent book, fantastic description of the story of this apparition of the virgin Mary. I think it will help the reader to understand that Mary is a conduit to her Son, even the
Argum
Jan 24, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: religion
Around mid December, I was discussing Our Lady of Guadalupe with a friend. She was discussing both the Mass at our parish with mariachi band and a documentary she had seen that showed the tilma after the cleaning accident miraculously untouched on the image. I realized that despite being an American Catholic who should know things about our patroness in this particular apparition, I really knew about nothing beyond it happened. So I set out to find a book about this. This book's first half or so ...more
Katrina Best
Jun 30, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Starting with the apparitions of Our Lady of Guadalupe to Juan Diego and ending with the role Our Lady of Guadalupe plays in modern day life, this book is a must for Mary fans, and those trying to understand the role of Our Lady of Guadalupe in the Catholic church ase well as the culture of the Americas.This book compares and contrasts the Aztec symbology with that of Our Lady of Guadalupe and the Catholic Church. PJP2 and PB16 are quoted throughout the book. At times, the book can be a bit dry, ...more
Gwen
If the rest of the book is as packed full of insights as the first 25 pages, I will be checking this out again and it will definitely be on my list to buy.

Beginning with Aztec culture and the Christian convert Juan Diego, the authors explore every nook and cranny of meaning from names to relationships and symbolism of flowers and songs. I have loved reading every word of the first two chapters.
Jon(athan) Nakapalau
So many of my friends who are of Mexican ancestry have told me about Our Lady of Guadalupe that I decided to read this book. Not only does it trace Our Lady of Guadalupe's place in history it tells the story of what happens when cultures are forced to confront the violence of differing ideologies...Our Lady of Guadalupe has shed as many tears as men have shed drops of blood...yet still we refuse to change.
Aleksandr Jackson
Nov 01, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Wow. Juan Diego isn't just a poor Indian. His tilma isn't just a cape. And Mary isn't just a woman. For anyone curious about the Blessed Mother's appearance to Juan Diego and her message of Christ, I would encourage them to read it. I learned so much not only about the supernatural aspect of her apparition but also what it meant in the historical context of the New World.
Don Weidinger
Dec 22, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
1531 event that changed the lives of 9M people within years, a story of love that may enrich your life.
Jen
Jan 12, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Enjoyed learning more about the Virgin of Guadalupe. The book not only gave the history but also challenged the reader to live out the gospel. Good read.
Anne
Oct 23, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a really thorough explanation of the significance of the apparition of Our Lady of Guadalupe both at the time it occurred and for right now. If you already know a lot about the symbolism and iconography of the image itself, the beginning of the book will be repetitive for you. If you haven't delved into that yet, this is a great introduction. And it's worth reading for the explication of the cultural impact of these symbols and what they can teach us about evangelization today.
This book written by the Supreme Knight of the Knights of Columbus caught my attention when I saw it at the library, but unfortunately, it didn't do a very good job of holding my attention. The parts about Juan Diego's visions of Mary were interesting, even fascinating. The rest was dry, technical, and rather boring. Had I been reading this one instead of listening to it, I probably wouldn't have finished.
Apr 04, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this. The book starts with a basic history of the apparition and moves to a discussion of the symbolism in the picture on the tilma. It ends with various lessons for us today to learn from Our Lady of Guadalupe. I am not a theologian, but as far as I am able, I found the book to be orthodox. I came away from it with a deepened faith and wanting to recommend the book to friends.
Mario Zonni
Nov 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
a must read book
Rachel Dvorak
Mar 21, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fascinating bit of history. A tad dry in some parts, however the depth and detail revealed about this apparition is well worth the read.
J.S.
Jan 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have never really realized the full beauty and profound meaning of Our Lady of Guadalupe. This book has strengthened my commitment to Mary, and I challenge all those who deny her to pray on this revelation. If you are still not moved by her, you are probably dead inside.
JS
Stephen
Oct 15, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A very detailed account of the miracle and those involved. Lots of cultural nuances are discussed which are really enlightening. I enjoyed reading this, and learned a lot, but think I will need to reread the book to really understand all that was presented.
Debra
Oct 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
very inspirational; a must read
Hope
Mar 06, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: catholic
When I checked this book out from the library, I had no idea that it was co-written by the same author who wrote "A Civilization of Love," which I enjoyed immensely. This book was very well done, a fairly seamless considering it was written by two people. It was a great balance of historical accounts and a modern day applications of the miracle of Our Lady of Guadalupe. The authors did a wonderful job of weaving in the writings of the Popes and the stories of Saint Juan Diego to help the reader ...more
Jun 21, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: catholic
This book makes important distinctions, especially dealing with the true placement in human history of the tilma, and the pro-life messge of the lady which has defined american catholicism. Also, Pope Benedict XVI's first encyclical is well cited here (Deus Caritas Est), namely, he who says he loves god yet hates his neighbor is a liar. You cannot get more clear than in this book which holds that Mexico is the neighbor to the U.S., and anti-immigration sentiments are dangerous to our salvation.
Joe
Dec 30, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a good book. But it's a little misleading. If you're looking for a good book to familiarize yourself with Guadalupe, I wouldn't recommend it. There is an assumed base level of knowledge that the reader should have.

Rather than a specific treatment of Guadalupe, it is more a review of a number of recent Pope's writings and integration of several theological trajectories. Some of the interesting details or facts about Guadalupe might be assumed or taken for granted which I found frustratin
Dana Kraft
What the Jesuits don't teach you about OLG is a lot. This specific book was heavy on theology especially toward the end. The first few chapters are chock full of interesting tidbits, though. I wonder if and when Catholic education in the US (or Texas) will incorporate reference to OLG in some way.
Mary Alice
I really give this 3 and half stars. This is a hard book to rate. It is full of good historical information and explains Aztec symbology well. Most of the story I already knew, so I wasn't surprised by anything. Maybe that is why it didn't capture me fully.
Phhornbuckle
The writing maybe a three, but the event on which it is asked and the documentation of the event is a five!
Nowell
Dec 11, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Contains a comprehensive explanation of the Aztec symbols on the Blessed Mother's clothing in the image on St. Juan Diego's tilma.
Leslie
Interesting insights into Mexican culture. Our Lady of Guadalupe is not just for Mexicans, but represents all of North America.
Renee Yesso
Very academic book about Our Lady of Guadalupe. Interesting material if a bit dry.
don keegan
  • The Second Greatest Story Ever Told
  • Jesus of Nazareth: The Infancy Narratives
  • This Tremendous Lover
  • The Crucified Rabbi: Judaism and the Origins of Catholic Christianity
  • Render Unto Caesar: Serving the Nation by Living our Catholic Beliefs in Political Life
  • Saints and Social Justice: A Guide to the Changing World
  • Memory and Identity: Conversations at the Dawn of a Millennium
  • G.K. Chesterton: The Apostle of Common Sense
  • The Sinner's Guide to Natural Family Planning
  • Strange Gods: Unmasking the Idols in Everyday Life
The 13th supreme knight of the Knights of Columbus, Carl A. Anderson has led the Knights and their families since 2000 to unprecedented levels of charitable giving and support for their communities and Church. Under Mr. Anderson’s leadership, membership has grown to more than 1.9 million Knights, who together in 2014 alone donated over $173.5 million to charity and provided more than 71.5 million ...more
More about Carl A. Anderson...