Start by marking “The Sticklepath Strangler (Knights Templar, #12)” as Want to Read:
The Sticklepath Strangler (Knights Templar, #12)

The Sticklepath Strangler (Knights Templar #12)

3.99  ·  Rating details ·  322 Ratings  ·  20 Reviews
In this richly atmospheric series of medieval murder mysteries, Michael Jecks gives us tales steeped in intrigue and historical detail. Skillfully evoking the colorful, but often brutal tableau of the Middle Ages, Jecks has drawn comparison with Ellis Peters. Now former Knight Templar Sir Baldwin Furnshill and Bailiff Simon Puttock, his savvy sleuths, are on the case again ...more
Published November 1st 2001 by Headline

To ask other readers questions about The Sticklepath Strangler, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Sticklepath Strangler

Graham
Dec 28, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: historical, mystery
Although one of the later books in the series, this is the first of Jecks’s medieval murder mysteries that I’ve encountered, and I’m certainly taken with his style of writing in these books. Jecks write sparse, clean prose, often descriptive but with no particular flourish or manner in his writing; the facts are given in descriptive passages or dialogue, and that is all. There is no apparent art in his writing.

But nevertheless he tells a good, plot-heavy story; he succeeds in creating a diverse
Jen
Aug 26, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I would probably like this more if I would read the series in some kind of coherent order and more than two a year or so. I did like it, though; there was plenty of tension in this 14th century village that has people gettin' dead all over the place. It felt a little like the parlour mysteries, actually, like Clue, where everyone keeps dying and you can't get out and one of you has to be the killer. Kind of a believable ending, which is nice, because these types of mysteries can get forced in a ...more
Fredrick Danysh
Young girls have been disappearing for years since the famine in Sticklepath. After the disappearance of one, a local man is killed in the belief that he is a vampire and cannibal. But the disappearances continue. After a skull rolls down from a wall along a path, Sir baldwin Furnshill and his friend Simon are called in to aid in the investigation. The evil runs deeper. Fans of the Brother Cadfrael mysteries by Ellis Peters will enjoy this Medieval murder mystery.
David Serxner
Mar 13, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I get Michael Jeck's books sent to me from by my family in England, as I do not know if you can get them in the States. He does his research. The books are excellent--very well written. I like a good mystery, and these most certainly are!
Susan
May 10, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent suspense mystery, history brought to life
An unusual theme

Merged review:

Review already written for this book.
Excellent medieval who done it & you didn't know for sure until the last few pages
History brought to life
Mary G.
Oct 14, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another excellent outing by Michael Jecks.
Helle
Mar 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is another excellent installment of the Knights Templar series. The Sticklepath Strangler provides the reader with a good idea of the hardships of a small vill in the 14th century, just after the famine. The characters are divers and realistic and while not necessarily likeable, they were interesting. The story itself is an exciting and well plotted mystery, with a nice dose of superstition.
LJ
First Sentence: They were out there.

It started with the death of young girls, and the accusation of cannibalism, the murder of an innocent man and his curse on the village. Now a young girl’s skull has been found and Sir Baldwin de Fernshill, Keeper of the King’s Peace, Bailiff Simon Puttock and Coroner Roger de Gidleigh travel to the village of Sticklepath; a place of death and secrets. The death toll keeps rising.

Jecks is so good at not only establishing a sense of time and place, but creating
Mavis Hewitt
Feb 23, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
As usual a good detective story, set in the 1300's. I particularly like this series because I too live on the edge of Dartmoor and know the places he writes about. He gives a good impression of life in those days without resorting to reams of description that slow the plot down.
Angela Isaac
Jan 21, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A gripping read that had me guessing to the last who was the murderer and if there really was a vampire at large.
On reading the author's note at the beginning of the book, I wondered why he needed to make clear that his characters are works of fiction, and that the real-life inhabitants of Sticklepath are actually very nice. Then I read the book... the villagers; they are a real nasty lot. Nearly all inhabitants have some gruesome and dark secret to reveal; whether the horrendous acts they comm
Jim Corbiere
Jun 26, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Finished reading " The Sticklepath Strangler " the 12 of the Knights Templar novels by Michael Jecks. Once again another good story. You keep on guessing who could have done the murders right up until the end. Very enjoyable read getting there too.
The vil of Sticklepath believes they are under a curse. 5 years ago a man was killed by some of the villagers because they believed he was an evil man, a vampire. He was accused after one of the village children disappeared. After his death other young
Hawthorn
Jan 31, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I picked up this paperback mystery based on the cover, which looked somewhat like the Bayeux Tapestry. I learned my lesson about not judging a book by the cover, because the book itself wasn't great. It's a murder mystery set in a medieval village, and while the idea of that is interesting, the plot dragged on too long and the murders were pretty gruesomely described, which I think might have contributed to some of my nightmares after surgery. Not the best book to read in the hospital.
Michael Jecks
Jan 24, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: my-own
This was a fun story from the moment that the local Blacksmith suggested the title to me, while we were sitting in the bar of the Devonshire Inn, Sticklepath.
Lane
Mar 02, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This one dragged a bit for me. There were a few characters that i got tired of. But I still enjoyed it.
International Cat Lady
This story had a lot of potential, but it turned out to not be particularly interesting - or well written. Yawn!
Nancy Ellis
Dec 26, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's always a pleasure to read a book in this series. This episode has several rather gruesome murders involving cannibalism and even vampires! Lots of fun and full of delightful characters!
Sharon
Apr 11, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another fun medieval Mystery by M. Jecks. So interesting to see how crude life was in the 1300's and how astute investigators had to be to discover the perpetrator of crime.
Rick Chagouri-brindle
Theresa
Sep 06, 2010
Elizabeth
Aug 11, 2016
  • Girl in a Red Tunic (Hawkenlye Mysteries, #8)
  • A Plague of Heretics (Crowner John Mystery #14)
  • Death of a Squire (Templar Knight Mystery #2)
  • Valley of Dry Bones (Medieval Mystery, #7)
  • A Summer of Discontent (Matthew Bartholomew, #8)
Michael Jecks is a best-selling writer of historical novels. The son of an Actuary, and the youngest of four brothers, he worked in the computer industry before becoming a novelist full time in 1994

He is the author of the internationally popular Templar series, perhaps the longest crime series written by a living author. Unusually, the series looks again at actual events and murders committed abou
More about Michael Jecks...

Knights Templar (1 - 10 of 32 books)
  • The Last Templar (Knights Templar, #1)
  • The Merchant's Partner (Knights Templar, #2)
  • A Moorland Hanging  (Knights Templar, #3)
  • The Crediton Killings (Knights Templar, #4)
  • The Abbot's Gibbet (Knights Templar, #5)
  • The Leper's Return (Knights Templar, #6)
  • Squire Throwleigh's Heir (Knights Templar, #7)
  • Belladonna at Belstone (Knights Templar, #8)
  • The Traitor of St Giles (Knights Templar, #9)
  • The Boy-Bishop's Glovemaker (Knights Templar, #10)