Start by marking “Little Women” as Want to Read:

Read Book* *Different edition

Little Women

(Little Women #1)

4.06  ·  Rating details ·  1,465,713 ratings  ·  20,257 reviews
Little Women, by Louisa May Alcott, is part of the Barnes & Noble Classics series, which offers quality editions at affordable prices to the student and the general reader, including new scholarship, thoughtful design, and pages of carefully crafted extras.
Nook, Barnes & Noble Classics Series, 528 pages
Published June 1st 2009 by Barnes & Noble (first published September 30th 1868)

To ask other readers questions about Little Women, please sign up.
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Trix Wilkins Definitely not the only one - but Laurie should've either waited a bit longer before asking Jo to marry him (eg: worked out what he was doing with his…moreDefinitely not the only one - but Laurie should've either waited a bit longer before asking Jo to marry him (eg: worked out what he was doing with his life first, what he was doing after college. All we know is that he doesn't want to take up his grandfather's), or after she rejected him the first time, really courted her and asked her again (eg: Fitzwilliam Darcy). I think there was a lot of potential for them to have grown as people together, to have matured and to have spurred each other in their respective passions - she loves writing, he loves music - and it was a shame that wasn't explored in the book.(less)

·  1,465,713 ratings  ·  20,257 reviews

Susan
Oct 04, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: juvenile
Someone I know claimed this no longer has value, that she would never recommend it because it's saccharine, has a religious agenda, and sends a bad message to girls that they should all be little domestic homebodies. I say she's wrong on all counts. This is high on my reread list along with Pride and Prejudice, Jane Eyre, and a Tree Grows in Brooklyn--you could say that I'm pretty familiar with it.

Let's see--there's a heroine who not only writes, but is proud of the fact and makes a profit from
Barry Pierce
Okay I’m just gonna say this. I liked Little Women. I’m an 18-year-old guy and I liked Little Women. What. It’s quaint. It’s quaint as fuck. I’m such a Jo.
Fabian
Dec 27, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Yes, yes! I AM a grown-ass man reading this, but I'm not ashamed. I also read the "Twilight" sa(ha-ha!)ga & a bunch of Charlaine Harris as well, remember? Some rules simply do not apply.

What I tried to do here was dispel the extra melodrama and embrace the cut-outs (fat trimmed out) of the Winona Ryder film. I was on the hunt for all the "new" (ha!) stuff that the regular person, well informed of the plot involving four young girls growing up (or in the case of Beth, not) never even knew exi
Rory
joy: ✓

review to come!!!

---------
currently-reading updates

I am ready to feel COZY. I am ready to feel COMFORTED. I am ready to feel JOY.
Corrie
Mar 27, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The book begins:

"Christmas won't be Christmas without any presents, grumbled Jo, lying on the rug.

It's so dreadful to be poor! sighed Meg, looking down at her old dress.

I don't think it's fair for some girls to have plenty of pretty things, and other girls nothing at all, added little Amy, with an injured sniff.

We've got Father and Mother, and each other, said Beth contentedly from her corner."

There's an undercurrent of anger in this book and I think Louisa May Alcott would have gone much furthe
Huda Yahya

.في جو مليء بالدفء العائلي
متوغلة في أسرار النساء اللائي عشن في تلك الفترة
وكيف كانت تفكر أدمغت
Cait • A Page with a View
This really is one of my top 5 favorite books of all time... it never gets old.

I just love every single character and the entire story SO much that I don't even know what else to say. It's perfect. That is all.

And I know the movie is way different, but I still love that as well!
Ahmad Sharabiani
863. Little Women (Little Women #1), Louisa May Alcott
Little Women is a novel by American author Louisa May Alcott (1832–1888), which was originally published in two volumes in 1868 and 1869. Alcott wrote the books over several months at the request of her publisher. Following the lives of the four March sisters—Meg, Jo, Beth and Amy—the novel details their passage from childhood to womanhood and is loosely based on the author and her three sisters.
زنان کوچک - لوئییز می آلکوت (قدیانی) ادبیات قرن
Dottie
My copy of this is probably 55 years old -- I've probably read it at least twenty-five times. One of my all-time favorite books. One of my favorite authors ever. Yes, it is old-fashioned -- it was old-fashioned fifty-five years ago. But that is the point pretty much in my opinion. This is a story of times past, of a family which functioned in a particular way in a particular time. This is also a story of what one person in a family might have wished were so all of the time in the family but wasn ...more
Zoë
Jan 31, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
2017 update: I reread this as it was the Austentatious book for June and July! I didn't love it as much as I did the first time I read it, but I am glad I got to revisit the story. (Also, this time I Amy was my favorite character?)

Book 12/100 for 2015
I had to read this book for my Children's Lit class and I loved it! We've done a lot of discussion which has really opened my mind to new things in the book and made me love it even more. I'd definitely recommend this book to anyone wanting to get i
Emily May
Dec 04, 2013 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Eesh, this was dull. I can't even try and appreciate it taking historical context into account. These little women are so blah. And they speak like they're reciting Hallmark cards half the time.
Duane
I have read 18 of Louisa May Alcott's books, so I guess I can safely say that I am very familiar with her work. Some of them were very good, some not quite as good. All had that 19th century down home feeling with wonderful, memorable characters. But only one of her novels reached the level of what could be called literary greatness. Somehow, with this simple story, and these adorable characters, with a heart warming and heart wrenching plot, Alcott creates an American classic, her masterpiece. ...more
AMEERA
Dec 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
i can tell this become my favorite classic book besides all classics books of the queen of classics books Jane Austin , and u can see a lot of classic word here :D
may ❀
i've never witnessed a ship of mine get sunk so tragically, how dare you ms. alcott (ง •_•)ง

RTC

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

probably the first classic that i'm //choosing// to read so let's hope this goes well bc it'll probs determine whether i keep this charade up or not :))

Buddy read with ma girl, t swizzle
Shovelmonkey1
May 05, 2011 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: no one, seriously.
Recommended to Shovelmonkey1 by: My mum and the 1001 books list
To me this book is just a big neon highlighted literary exclamation mark defining how incredibly different I am from my mother. She loves this book. Really, really loves it....a lot. She always used to tell me how great she thought it was although, as a kid I somehow avoided reading it; mainly because at this point I was too busy dangling from a climbing frame by my ankles or stealing scrap wood from building sites in order to make dens and tree houses.

As it is prominently placed on the 1001 boo
Annalisa
Feb 12, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: teenagers: read this instead of Twilight
I'm definitely a victim of modern society when I find this book slow. Had I read it in its day (or even as a youth) it would probably be fantastic, but as it is I'm finding the life lessons saturated in every chapter a little much, not sweet. Which brings me to Beth. Back in the day sweet, mild, submissive were prime female qualities. Now I look at the picture of her on the front cover with her empty eyes and blank stares and she looks sweet in a mentally challenged way. And Jo who is endearing ...more
Joey Woolfardis
Read as part of The Infinite Variety Reading Challenge, based on the BBC's Big Read Poll of 2003.

The one thing I'm not going to do is apologise for not liking this. I hold no truck with that: stop apologising for having an opinion that is different to the majority.

Little Women was relatively written well in the grammatically correct sense, but I found it to be a very slow and dull read. It is definitely of its time and even though there are small points of seeing the necessity of having strong,
Pooja
Oct 26, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owns, 100-pages
When I was 11 years old, I used to watch its anime show on a channel, that time I didn't know its name. I was merely interested in the show.

But thankfully, I remembered the names of the characters so that when I was in my higher secondary school, I saw this book in school library with the picture of four girls and their Mommy. I suddenly remembered the show.

Since that day I wanted to read Little Women.

When the librarian said that this book cannot be issued, I wasn't worried. I would to go to l
Jonathan Terrington

Little Women remains to this day one of the books I have, curiously, read the most. And I'm not ashamed to state this. Why should I be? The notion that certain films or books are 'chick-lit' is one so alien to my mind. They may be geared at specific audiences mostly, but any strong work of art will appeal to any individual - or rather can appeal to any individual - person.

I don't know what it is about Little Women that made me so attracted to it. Perhaps it was the characterisation in the women
Kylie D
A timeless classic that I enjoyed just as much now as I did when I first read it at school.
Emer
Jan 17, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: children and those, like me, who are still a child at heart
So in keeping with my recent attempts to write reviews for all my five star reads here's one for my absolute favourite book from my childhood, Little Women.

This was the first hardback I ever read that had no pictures or any such things to tempt a child. I remember feeling quite grown up when I first read it as it was just a plain old red book that had lost its dust jacket many years previously. Nothing bright or colourful that would have tempted me in the years previous. I suppose I must have be
Helene Jeppesen
Jan 02, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Two years ago, I read the first part of this novel and quite liked it. The March family consists of the most endearing characters, and I had fun reading about the four sisters and their growing up.
However, it wasn't until recently that I realized that I had yet to read the second part, which I set out to do. It was so great being back with these sisters and follow them in their future adventures, and I must say that I actually find the second part the strongest. It contains hopes and disappoint
Raeleen Lemay
I only ended up reading Part One, as Part Two (aka Good Wives) doesn’t interest me one bit. Similarly to the Anne of Green Gables series, I enjoy reading the beginning bits where the girls are young, but I don’t much care for the rest. As for what I DID read, it was entertaining at times but overall a bit too preachy and heavy on moral lessons. I’m glad I finally read it, but I honestly can’t see myself ever reading it again!
Dannii Elle
Whilst I do recall reading this as a young child I could remember little about the characters and the story-line so felt I was revisiting both something beloved and viewing it with fresh and excited eyes.

This felt like a series of short stories involving the March sisters, bound into a longer narrative. Whilst each sister is dissimilar in temperament and personality they all share the closest of bonds, and reading of their shared happiness and sorrows made this an altogether adorable reading exp
Ashwood (애쉬 우드).
Awesome book!! I love Amy and Laurance
Sherwood Smith
There will be spoilers.

Now, if she had been the heroine of a moral story-book, she ought at this period of her life to have become quite saintly, renounced the world, and gone about doing good in a mortified bonnet, with tracts in her pocket. But, you see, Jo wasn't a heroine; she was only a struggling human girl, like hundreds of others, and she just acted out her nature, being sad, cross, listless, or energetic, as the mood suggested.

I first read this book as a tween, and had a real love-hate
Matthew
Updated 8/26/2016 - Update at end

So, this is going to be my most confusing review to date and I am going to need some help from people who read this, so please reply if you know! (see below)

I read this for my Completest Book Club. I am glad I did because it is a classic I hear about all the time. If you take the Never-ending Book Quiz on Goodreads, it seems like every other question is about Little Women. While for me this book was just okay, I can see why it is a classic and enjoyed by many.

My
Cecily
I was given this more than 30 years ago, and it never appealed, but I gave it a go when it was selected by my book group.

As most people know, it's Louisa May Alcott's semi-autobiographical account of four teenage sisters growing up in slight poverty, while their father is away at war.

The opening words alerted me to the tone: "'Christmas wouldn't be Christmas without any presents'... 'I don't think it's fair for some girls to have plenty of pretty things, and other girls to have nothing at all.'"
K.
Look, I'm going to be brutally honest here: I read this when I was about 10 and I quite enjoyed it. But reading it at the age of 33? OH MY GOD, THIS WAS THE MOST SACCHARINE SWEET, INTOLERABLE TWADDLE I'VE EVER HAD THE MISFORTUNE OF READING.

All four of the girls are so ridiculously perfect that even when they make the tiny little mistakes that are painted as monumental fuck ups in the book, they're instantly fixed with a sweet smile or a sermon from their mother about women needing to control th
2019 Reading Chal...: Little Women 7 23 8 hours, 31 min ago
Girls Just Wanna ...: Minecraft Tips and Tricks 2 5 Mar 15, 2019 07:56AM
Girls Just Wanna ...: Minecraft Tips and Tricks 1 3 Mar 15, 2019 05:24AM
Trying to find the year a copy was printed 1 3 Mar 07, 2019 02:04AM
The Great America...: Little Women- January- SPOILER Thread 10 25 Mar 05, 2019 08:07AM
The Great America...: Little Women- January- NO Spoilers 14 27 Mar 05, 2019 07:59AM
  • Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Harry Potter, #7)
  • Lord of the Flies
  • A Wrinkle in Time (Time Quintet, #1)
  • Anna Karenina
  • The Handmaid's Tale
  • Speak
  • The Complete Anne of Green Gables Boxed Set (Anne of Green Gables, #1-8)
  • Watership Down (Watership Down, #1)
  • Betsy in Spite of Herself (Betsy-Tacy, #6)
  • White Oleander
  • Eloise
  • Ethan Frome and Selected Stories
  • The Good Master
As A.M. Barnard:
Behind a Mask, or a Woman's Power (1866)
The Abbot's Ghost, or Maurice Treherne's Temptation (1867)
A Long Fatal Love Chase (1866 – first published 1995)
First published anonymously:
A Modern Mephistopheles (1877)

Louisa May Alcott was born in Germantown, Pennsylvania on November 29, 1832. She and her three sisters, Anna, Elizabeth and May were educated by their father, philosopher/ t

Little Women (3 books)