Start by marking “Surviving Sydney Cove: The Diary of Elizabeth Harvey, Sydney, 1790” as Want to Read:
Surviving Sydney Cove: The Diary of Elizabeth Harvey, Sydney, 1790

Surviving Sydney Cove: The Diary of Elizabeth Harvey, Sydney, 1790 (My Australian Story)

3.52  ·  Rating details ·  190 Ratings  ·  22 Reviews
Lizzie Harvey, a convict transported to Sydney Cove, is starving and overworked. She can barely find time to dream about the way things used to be, let alone write in her diary. But write she must. It is her only hope of reaching out to the home she has left behind, all those thousands of miles away across the sea.
Published by Scholastic (first published 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Surviving Sydney Cove, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Surviving Sydney Cove

♥Jenny♥
Nov 01, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have just finished reading Surviving Sydeny Cove: The Diary of Elizabeth Harvey Sydeny 1790.

This imaginary diary is based , Lizzie Harbey a convict girl who is transported to Sydeny Cove and is starving and overworked. She has to fetch water, mend clothes, serve her Master, care for his daughter and tiptoe around his moody soldier son. She can barley find the time to dream about the way things used to be, let alone write in her diary. But she must! It is her only hope of reaching out to the h
Young Adult Historical Vault
I can't speak as to the historical accuracy of this book, since I know next to nothing about the history of Australia, but I will say this: it's educational, depressing, and yet engaging, which is a mark of a pretty darn good book. It has a little bit of a heavy hand in places (yes, we get it, everyone is hungry), but in spite of all that it's still definitely worth reading.

For my full recap and review including spoilers, check out Young Adult Historical Vault. https://yahistoricalvault.com/201
Yvonne (Fiction Books)
Jun 02, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Yvonne (Fiction Books) by: Charity Shop Purchase
`Bringing The Past Into The Real World'

The `My Story` series of books, is divided into two separate sets, one for boys and another for girls.

They are written with 9-11 year olds in mind, but are just as enjoyable and informative for adults to read.

For any US followers of my blog, they have been reliably described as similar in content to the `Dear America' series.

For any Australian readers, this book is part of the `My Australian Story' series and was published with the title `Surviving Sydney C
Hayes
Jul 02, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
75/100 When I was younger, I always wanted to be a historian. I enjoy these kinds of books because they put feelings and emotions into facts and dates. Whilst the book isn't true (The author uses the characters as a way of portraying the times), it was still really interesting, and quite sad. Its sort of exciting too, knowing that the white colonization of Australia started in such tough times. I now feel more compelled to read more about Australian history.

In short, Elizabeth Harvey was a conv
Rebecca
Apr 05, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is one of the books in the My Australian Story series, which is an Australian version of Dear America, featuring the fictional diaries of young people during different events in Australian history.

The year is 1790, in colonial Sydney, Australia. Elizabeth Harvey, or Lizzie as she is called, is a young girl sent to Sydney Cove as a convict. Wrongly convicted of stealing from her employer, Lizzie was forced to leave behind her beloved brother in England and was transported to Sydney, wh
Rebecca
Oct 24, 2009 rated it really liked it

Shekinah
Jun 28, 2011 rated it it was amazing
1)this book fits into the category of a book recommended by a memer of your family
2)i decided to read this book because my sister liked it and she said i would and as i stared to read ti i reall liked it
3)i like how the book was set out and how when you read it you got a picture in your mind of what was happening
4) i dont really think there was anythink i didnt like about this book it was such a great book
5)i would recommend this book to teenage girls because they could get a teaste of what it
AddyCat
Jan 14, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
The book is an easy read which I would suggest for anyone from twelve years and over. It is a good representation on what times would be like back then not only as a part of the first fleet but also as a convict. 'Transported' didn't really follow the general layout of a novel as it was set in the journal/diary style, therefore there was no real climax.

I would recommend this book if you are looking for an easy read that you don't need to give your full attention to the plot. The story is one whi
Julianna
Feb 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Although this book could be seen as a little simple, it needs to be taken into consideration that it was written by a young girl. Yet even with a less developed vocabulary, the main character is able to enthrall the reader and pull them into her world filled with hardship and worry. As a person reads the book they are able to experience a young girls pains and sorrows as well as experiencing her hopes and dreams.
Molly
Jan 07, 2012 added it
This entire series is a wonderful way to learn history or teach it to adolescents. I find today's generations seem to recall more when they learn through other people (pop songs, celebrity gossip, etc.), so what better way to teach history than through someone else's perspective? Yes, "authentic" diaries would be "better", but would the language really hold the modern student's attention? Did the diary writer know what WOULD be important in the context of history? Probably not.
Mikayla
I enjoyed this book however found that it was most likely aimed at early teens that young adult (where it was located in my local library). Check out my full review on this book on my blog @ http://lifeoabookworm.blogspot.com.au/
Thanks :)
Hilda
May 30, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book relates the sad story of a girl sent to Australia away from her family, where she worked virtually like a domestic slave doing chores in the house and looking the children. This was quite nice and easy to read.
Courtney
Jul 25, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of my favourite books of all time, I read it when I was 12 and I will always remember it as it was the first book to ever make me cry. Read it over and over again, highly recommend to younger readers!
Phoebe Taylor
Jun 30, 2014 rated it really liked it
I've read this a few times over the years and I've found its a good book to go back to. An easy read, but an interesting one. It really gets you involved in the characters' lives and portrays the harsh times they would have experienced in real life.
Maddi
Jul 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
GOOD BOOK
Amber Spratling
Dec 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very interesting. I liked how she cared about lots of people even the ones she doesn't really like.
Alex Jeong
Dec 10, 2014 rated it liked it
-A diary format but easy to follow
-Could connect to character's feelings
-Historical Fiction with a pretty good plot
Katherine
Nov 12, 2014 rated it really liked it
Good details on conditions in England that may have led to people being transported. Evocative picture oh how hard life was in the new colony before the 2nd Fleet arrived
Renae
Again, I've found that foreign diary series put the Dear America diaries to shame. This one was quite good.
Glenn
Apr 11, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Not as good as I'd hoped, but then i'm not the intended audience. I guess it kept my interest for some of it but was glad to be done when it was over. Need more good books set at this time.
Cassidy Davies
Well I think this book was good but maybe not as good. Like I hated how it ended I think it sounded rushed to me personally.
Siabhaon
Feb 07, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: historical
This is a very good but sad book it tells of a girl called Lizzy who is sent to Australia for stealing a dress, she is writing a diary for her brother so he will know of her life.
Mrs Bakitch
Darcie
rated it it was ok
Apr 24, 2012
Elizabeth
rated it did not like it
Dec 05, 2012
  • Suffragette: The Diary of Dollie Baxter, London, 1909-1913
  • Blitz: The Diary of Edie Benson, London, 1940-1941
  • The Great Plague: The Diary of Alice Paynton, London, 1665-1666
  • My Tudor Queen: The Diary of Eva De Puebla, London, 1501-1513
  • A different sort of real : the diary of Charlotte McKenzie, Melbourne 1918-1919
  • Who Am I? The Diary Of Mary Talence, Sydney 1937
  • Roman Invasion: A British Boy, AD 84
  • The Crystal Palace: The Diary of Lily Hicks, London, 1850-1851
Goldie was born in Melbourne just before the 2nd World War. Her parents had migrated from Poland in the late 1920's, and when she was small, she hardly spoke any English. Her earliest memories are of a time when young children were allowed to wander the streets without anyone worrying too much about them getting into trouble.

Her first four Young Adult books were 'Dolly Fiction' novels published un
More about Goldie Alexander...

My Australian Story (1 - 10 of 34 books)
  • A Banner Bold: The Diary of Rosa Aarons
  • A Tale of Two Families: The Diary of Jan Packard, Melbourne, 1974
  • Plagues and Federation: The Diary of Kitty Barnes, the Rocks, Sydney, 1901
  • The Rum Rebellion: The Diary of David Bellamy, Sydney Town, 1807-1809
  • The Yankee Whaler: The Diary of Thomas Morris, Bunbury, W.A., 1876
  • Who Am I? The Diary Of Mary Talence, Sydney 1937
  • On Board the Boussole: The Diary of Julienne Fulbert, Laperouse's Voyage of Discovery, 1785-1788
  • The Bombing of Darwin: The Diary of Tom Taylor, Darwin, 1942 (My Story)
  • Fords and Flying Machines: The Diary of Jack McLaren, Longreach, 1919-1921