Start by marking “Sherlock Holmes and the Titanic Tragedy: A Case to Remember” as Want to Read:
Sherlock Holmes and the Titanic Tragedy: A Case to Remember

Sherlock Holmes and the Titanic Tragedy: A Case to Remember (The Further Adventures of Sherlock Holmes)

4.03  ·  Rating details ·  590 Ratings  ·  57 Reviews
This fact-paced adventure places Sherlock Holmes and Dr Watson in the thick of international intrigue on the eve of World War One.
Published December 31st 1996 by Breese Books (first published June 1st 1996)

To ask other readers questions about Sherlock Holmes and the Titanic Tragedy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sherlock Holmes and the Titanic Tragedy

Bev
The Further Adventures of Sherlock Homes series put out by Titan Books is a rather hit or miss affair. There are several very strong entries in the series and then there are those that would need a great deal of suspension of disbelief to accept them as part of Holmes lore (The Veiled Detective, I'm looking at you--and, to a lesser extent, The War of the Worlds). The series reprints older pastiches such as The Ectoplasmic Man by Daniel Stashower, Dr. Jekyll & Mr. Holmes by Loren D. Estleman, ...more
Devon
Oct 21, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Marleen
Apr 01, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The year is 1912 and Dr. Watson is living alone in rooms in Piccadilly, writing historical novels, while Sherlock Holmes has retired to the South Downs where he keeps bees and conducts scientific experiments. For both men, the time of mysteries and adventures seems very firmly a thing of the past.
On the 9th of April though, Dr. Watson admits an unexpected visitor who turns out to be government official with a message from Holmes.
The retired investigator has been convinced to travel to America on
Rose
Aug 31, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mysteries, holmes
This is one of those curious books wherein I spot the title in a bookstore, stop to stare at the cover for a few moments, and then stand there in high amazement, thinking, "My Gawd, somebody's written a book *specifically for me*." By which I mean: a book has been presented to me with a premise so perfectly matching up to several of my key interest points that I have no choice BUT to conclude that the Universe has somehow specifically created this story just for me.

I have no great love of James
Judy Thomas
Mar 29, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
To a lifelong Sherlock Holmes fan, the new series, The Further Adventures of Sherlock Holmes put out by Titan Books, is a match made in heaven. The author, William Sell, takes on Dr. Watson's role and does such a masterful job at capturing the voice of the original that, when I read an excerpt to my husband (also a Holmes fan), his comment? "I thought I had read all the Sherlock Holmes books."

This volume finds Holmes and Dr. Watson on the Titanic, carrying out a secret government mission. I enjo
Autumn
May 08, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
It was okay. Okay, maybe that is stretching it but the author got fan fiction published and is getting paid for it... he gets one additional star for pulling that off.

But all in all? It was BAD fan fiction. I've read better, and I've read FAR better Sherlock Holmes (based on Doyle's books, not any of the series) fan fiction that is not published and the authors are not getting royalty checks for.

Will I read more of this series? Oh probably. There are times you want to curl up with a bad book onl
Amol More
Apr 06, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was bored for first 50 pages or so. Then it got exiting.
Danielle
May 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed
A fascinating read.

You can throughly absorb yourself in the real people involved, from 1912, as well as enjoying meeting new and old Sherlockian fictional characters from both A.C.Doyle's world; remade in another author's voice.

You read through Watson voice and point of view, which makes it interesting. It is also based when both Sherlock Holmes and John Watson are ageing up into their 60s, semi-retired but still as sharp and quick witted as they always were.

This is my first Sherlock adventure
Susan
Jun 30, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An enjoyable series, continuing the adventures of Sherlock Holmes & Dr. Watson. In this one Holmes & Watson travel on the Titanic, trying to protect submarine plans being delivered to Americans from the British. Fun, quick read! (Own)
Rachel
Jun 07, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was an enjoyable story. An interesting interweaving of a real life tragedy and an iconic fictional character. Holmes and Watson felt in character and it is a worthy addition to the Further Adventures.
Callum Raynor
May 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The reason I have chosen to read this book is because I have never read a detective book or story before and I thought I would give it a go. And also on the blurb it included lots of action. There was lots of dramatic incidences in this book. And people we're getting killed left, right and centre. On the bingo board this completes the tile that says " it has taught me about a different time in history" because this was set in the mid 1900's. It has shown me that the titanic was such a nice looki ...more
Patrice Sartor
Feb 26, 2017 rated it liked it
Recommended to Patrice by: Ann Deusenberry
I read this to my 15-year old son, who gives it 3.5 stars. He would have preferred (view spoiler), and he also didn't engage with the Titanic over-arching theme. As for me, I don't think the big-Titanic-moment (ifyaknowwutimsayin) at the end was fully explored. The climax seemed to rush past pretty quickly, while I could have done with some less lengthy descriptions of how the engines work, or how messages are sent. But, you ca ...more
Jennifer Petkus
May 09, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have to admit I had low hopes for putting Sherlock Holmes and John H. Watson on the Titanic, but The Titanic Tragedy surprised me and I don’t think I was unduly influenced by the hoopla surrounding the 100th anniversary of the sinking … but it helped.

William Seil’s novel was first published in 1996 but is now part of the collection called The Further Adventures of Sherlock Holmes published by Titan Books. Seil’s skill is evident as he manages to put us on the Titanic without the iceberg loomin
Phillip
May 17, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I am a proud Sherlockian who thoroughly enjoys the world of Sherlock Holmes in all its forms. I've read many pastiches of Holmes and Watson--some great, like The House of Silk, by Anthony Horowitz--and some poor, like this one. Now, this is the second historical fiction novel I've read in the past month dealing with the Titanic. Obviously, like most people, I am obsessed with Titanic lore, and will embrace any opportunity to learn more about the greatest maritime tragedy in history (IMHO). Thus, ...more
Carl
Oct 08, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Since it was the 100th Anniversary of the sinking of "Titanic," it seemed fitting to read a book or two about the Titanic. So I purchased “A Night to Remember” by Walter Lord, which is brilliant, and I took a chance on this so-called "previously unpublished" story of Holmes, “The Titanic Tragedy.” Since we all know that the ship sinks, it certainly removes some of the suspense; still, I wondered just what the author, William Seil, was going to do with Holmes and the Titanic. He certainly wasn’t ...more
Victoria Moore
Mar 26, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
In William Seil's "the further adventures of Sherlock Holmes The Titanic Tragedy" I discovered how delightful Holmes and Dr. John Watson could be even when they had to work on a case aboard the doomed ship the "Titanic". What made them particularly fun, despite the fact that they'd both retired and were a lot older than in the Sir Arthur Conan Doyle series or the new PBS Masterpiece Mystery program, "Sherlock", was the way they interacted with the other characters in the book and proceeded to s ...more
Bill Lancaster
Aug 30, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2013-books
I did not have high hopes for this book. It was a gift to me by a person who knows me well, but who is not a reader and had not read the book himself. But after the first 30 pages, I was hooked.

The book is part of a series of new Sherlock Holmes books from Titan Books that includes stories of Sherlock in a variety of new settings contemporary with his time. The author, William Seil, is obviously a close and observant student of Arthur Conan Doyle. Told from the perspective of Dr. Watson, the nov
Tarissa
Feb 12, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm certainly a Holmes fan, and I enjoy studying about the Titanic. So when I located this book, which combined 2 of my favorite interests, I had to read it right away! Now that I have finished it, I'll say it was a good book. I didn't feel a true Holmes vibe from it (that is to be expected from another author), nor did I get an authentic Titanic feeling, but the plot was good enough to keep me busy reading it. Sometimes I think the author overdid it on the amount of secrets that Captain Smith m ...more
Amy
Mar 20, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2013
Eh. Not really all that exciting. I found Watson not all that exciting, and he needs to be an exciting character in order for Sherlock Holmes books to really work.

Most of the time, I found myself just waiting for the ship to sink, hoping that would add some much needed suspense, but even that failed the mark. Book did pick up a bit in the last 3rd.

Book seemed to describe a lot of unnecessary detail, both with past Sherlock Homes cases, and facts about The Titanic that it was a bit of a leap for
Denise Barney
Apr 29, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In the 100th Anniversary if the sinking of "Titanic," it seemed fitting to read this " previously unpublished" story of Sherlock Holmes and Dr. Watson.

Watdin receives a cryptic message from his old friend, along with a ticket for the maiden voyage of the Titanic. Although Holmes is traveling jncognito, his friend recognizes him. It is soon revealed what their assignment is and it involves the daughter of Irene Adler. Missing plans and murder set the stage for a "locked room" mystery where no one
Michael Brown
Sailing on the Titanic has been used as a setting for various stories or shows. We all know the ship is lost and many of the passengers' stories can be told without contradictions. The daughter of Irene Adler is a member of the British Secret Service. She is a courier to her American counterparts. Mycroft entices his brother away from his bees and Watson as guards and assigns them other duties. They sail on the Titanic with a crowd of familiar characters and types. Lots of subplots are in place ...more
Kate
Aug 28, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-i-own
Roger Woods
Aug 30, 2016 rated it really liked it
There are so many pastiches of Sherlock Holmes stories and some are dreadful. This is one of the good ones where the author William Seil has managed to blend the world of Holmes and Watson with a case aboard the ill fated RMS Titanic. He includes many interesting facts about the Titanic in the story and the sinking on her maiden voyage which is so well known. There are some delightful characters including the daughter of Irene Adler as a British agent and a female American agent too! I will not ...more
Mz. Diana Gagliardi
Having a hard time keeping up with this- it is (by requirement) SO contrived that it's tough going. So far they are still in the set up, and the set up must be hurried and inexact because we all know what's going to happen... ::sigh:: Not sure if I will finish this one cause I went and found AWESOME Holmes (Laurie R King) which makes this one even more ridiculous.

Update (three years later):
I can't. I just can't. It's SO terrible and SO non Holmes that I am finished. Not as in having read it thro
Steve
Sep 17, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sherlock and Watson take the Titanic on a mission to America. While on board, surrounded by intrigue and espionage.
Hard to get past the idea of Holmes and Watson being on board the Titanic and surviving. Plus Holmes is supposed to be in disguise through most of the voyage, but Holmes and Watson take little if any precaution in how they interact while on the ship. It would seem that they had been friends for years to a casual observer instead of having met on the ship.

It was enjoyable overall and
Cody Tucker
There is no denying the research that Seil put into this work. Mix that with his excellent impression of Doyle's narrative voice and one would believe that they had a great Holmes story on their hands. Yet, what it lacks is that it is very slow while the story's actual mystery does not spark the reader's inner-detective. I wish that I could have been more interested in the case, but the story does not give one much to go with. Yes, I cared about who the culprit was. But, the story did not give e ...more
Matthew Perry
Nov 28, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-i-own
I am really enjoying the New Adventures of Sherlock Holmes, it is so great that Doyle's legacy is being carried on by modern writers. This installment deals with secret British documents, German intrigue and the sinking of the Titanic. Usually Holmes is all over the countryside or throughout London, so I was worried about a book that took place on the confines of a ship, but the author does a very good job of writing quite the nice detective novel.
Ramkishan Nekkanti
Oh God! I am ashamed to have spent five hours on this book. Its a disgrace to be called a sherlock holmes story. If it wasnt for my habit for finishing every book i take up, i would have long since thrown it out. There is absolutely no suspense, no intrigue, nothing which tries to hold the readers interest. Half the story is compeltely unrelated and its boring boring boring. I could probably spin a better story if i tried. Sheesh.
Leslie Goddard
Sep 29, 2016 rated it liked it
A fun Holmes revisit, packed with fun period details. As a big Titanic buff, I loved all the Titanic details, which are all over the place and quite well done. I don't know very much about Sherlock Holmes (and sadly, I'm not a big mystery fan) so I don't think I appreciated all the Holmes homages. My lower rating has more to do with my inability to keep track of multiple characters and the inevitable impact that has on my ability to enjoy mysteries with red herrings and lots of characters.
Peter
Jan 15, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a fun read. The author did a very nice job of adding Sherlock Holmes to a historical tragedy. The sinking of the Titanic is only in the last two to three chapters of the book, and isn't covered in very much detail. I was very much relieved by this. The mystery is a basic one, stolen government submarine plans, but the real center of the story is the friendship of Watson and Holmes. Even later in the careers, you can see the friendship between these two iconic characters.
Baker Street Irre...: The Titanic Tragedy by William Seil 1 7 May 07, 2012 02:11PM
  • The Further Adventures of Sherlock Holmes: The Web Weaver
  • The Further Adventures of Sherlock Holmes: The Star of India
  • The Further Adventures of Sherlock Holmes: The Seventh Bullet (The Further Adventures of Sherlock Holmes)
  • The Adventure of the Peerless Peer
  • The Further Adventures of Sherlock Holmes: The Stalwart Companions
  • Seance for a Vampire (Dracula Series, #8)
  • The Whitechapel Horrors
  • The Man from Hell (The Further Adventures of Sherlock Holmes)
  • The Further Adventures of Sherlock Holmes: The Albino's Treasure
  • The Mammoth Book of the Lost Chronicles of Sherlock Holmes
  • The Oriental Casebook of Sherlock Holmes
  • The Further Adventures of Sherlock Holmes: The Giant Rat of Sumatra
  • The Secret Notebooks of Sherlock Holmes

The Further Adventures of Sherlock Holmes (1 - 10 of 26 books)
  • The Adventure of the Peerless Peer