Start by marking “Krzyżacy” as Want to Read:
Krzyżacy

Krzyżacy (The Knights of the Cross or Krzyżacy #1-4)

3.35  ·  Rating details ·  3,636 Ratings  ·  52 Reviews
Krzyżacy to powieść historyczna ukazująca dzieje Polski w XV wieku. Pisarz odwołał się do epoki wojen z Krzyżakami i jednego z największych tryumfów oręża polskiego - bitwy pod Grunwaldem, aby podnieść na duchu rodaków.
Published July 28th 2001 by Wydawnictwo Zielona Sowa (first published 1899)

To ask other readers questions about Krzyżacy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Krzyżacy

Bettie☯
Read online

The Teutonic Knights was the official name of the military order located in the northern part of Poland. The “Knights of the Cross” is a direct translation of polish word “Krzyzacy” a nickname used by Poles because the knights of this order wore black crosses on their armor.

read
tbr busting 2012
online AND paper

finished skimming this via paperback 16/4/2012. It was chewy.

2.5*

Once recovered from this I may have a tilt at this: With Fire and Sword

ETA: have found the film instead: http://w
Кристина
Страшно много ми хареса-толкова е близко до нас!
Lora Grigorova
The Knights of the Cross: http://readwithstyle.wordpress.com/20...

If you are looking for a historical novel, probably the best choice is the Polish journalist and Noble-prize winner Henryk Sienkiewicz. Born in the Russian-ruled Poland in the middle of the 19th century, Sienkiewicz wrote most of his historical novels set during the Polish Republic or Commonwealth. What can be noted about him is his negative portrayal of the German knights of the cross. This idea is most evident in the historical
Mieczyslaw Kasprzyk
This is an entertaining read full of over-the-top romanticism and lots of cliche... but then, it is a child of its times. If you've read it then I strongly advise seeing the film which sticks closely to the book (the director could hardly drift away from what is a much loved book amongst the Poles). The film, also, is a child of its times; there's that great "Seig Heil" moment that puts the Teutonic assault on the Poles and Lithuanians in a historical setting!
Czarny Pies
Jul 22, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Poles and North Americans of Polish Descent
Recommended to Czarny by: My Polish relatives.
Shelves: polish-lit
The Teutonic Knights is one of my least favourite works by Henryk Sienkiewicz the author of a great Trilogy about the wars in that took place in the mid 17th century in Poland as well of Quo Vadis a remarkable book about the Christian persecution at Rome at the time of Nero.
The problem might be that there is a great deal more source material for the author to have drawn on for the other two historical periods than is the case for the era of the Teutonic Knights. Sienkiewicz's descriptions of th
Barney
Oct 05, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: People interested in Polish history
This book was well written. The medieval theme appealed to me, and I enjoyed reading about medieval custom and war, about how things worked, and about duels and unrequited love.

That being said, the book provides a completely one-sided view of the events it describes. The Polish, whose side the writer obviously stands on, are always presented as living legends, strong like bulls and as honourable as humanly possible. Each and every one is extreme in his virtue, passion and valiance, while also h
Mattias Olshausen
Mar 07, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Though nearly 800 pages, this book was a fairly quick read. Set against the backdrop of an ongoing struggle between the Teutonic Knights and the Kingdom of Poland-Lithuania, it follows the adventures of two Polish knights, Macko and Zbyszko, and their friends. The Teutonic Knights are the antagonists, and are generally portrayed as greedy, cruel, and otherwise corrupt. Various feuds figure prominently in the book. There's also a love triangle involving Zbyszko and two girls, one a very young, in ...more
Krzysztof Trelski
For me, this is a best book ever. It's well researched. Most events mentioned actually took place, you just have to look around. Because it was written in 1900 its language may be little out of date. Now you can read the latest translation on-line at: theteutonicknights.blogspot.com
Nickolai
Nov 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Название не совсем точно отражает содержание книги. Этот роман не столько о рыцарях Тевтонского ордена, сколько о поляках и их жизни накануне Грюнвальдской битвы. Тут есть и приключения, и интрига, и классический любовный треугольник. Начало довольно тяжелое, но книга очень быстро набирает обороты, становится легкой и интересной.
Gabor Hernadi
Jan 17, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Historical novel about the age of knights. It's relatively fast pacing and interesting but I have a feeling that I would've enjoyed it much more in my teenage years. Now the dated look of life, glorification of war, the blind faith infiltrating the everyday life and treating women as second rate beings just alienating me.
anna (readingpeaches)
it was an obligatory reading somewhen in middle school & it's getting 2 stars bc i was actually able to finish it. which was not the case for a lot of sienkiewicz's other novels.
i know he was getting paid per word and i respect that! but dear god!! if i could go back in time & beat him over the head with sth heavy so he wouldn't torture us like this.........
Tatsiana
Интересно, но не затягивало. Такой ровный исторический роман.
Steve
Feb 14, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Rather predictable Sienkiewicz if one is familiar with his historical trilogy. The hero, Zbyszko, meets and falls heavily for a near-perfect heroine, Danusia, manages through his headlong nature to get into difficulties which necessitate his being separated from her for nigh-on 80% of the novel, only to overcome the bad guys and get back with her at the end. The wrinkles of difference in this novel are that she dies at the end, and the almost total lack of any serious political or historical de ...more
Hanna
May 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

Історичні романи - це "фішка" Генріха Сенкевича. Саме роман "Хрестоносці" прославив його, як письменника, і прочитавши його, я не дивуюсь.
Написаний твір трошки складно, на перший погляд, але через 10-20 сторінок ти вливаєшся в цей стиль, в дещо застарілу мову, в ці художні образи та довгі описи. Ще 10 сторінок - і тебе захоплює цікавий сюжет з безліччю історичних посилань (що заслуговує уваги та поваги).

В "Хрестоносцях" можна знайти цікаву розповідь про те
Alex Chapay
Feb 08, 2014 rated it liked it
W czasach Sienkiewicza źródeł informacji było nieco mniej niż dziś, a odnalezienie zapisów o Polsce XIV-XV wieków było szczególnie nieprostym zadaniem. Więc oddać szacunek autorowi trzeba przynajmniej za to, że potrafił tę wiedzę historyczną właściwie użyć i stworzyć daną książkę.
Od samego początku w oczy się rzuca starożytny język polski (który prawdopodobnie jest prawdziwą karą dla tłumaczy). Jako obcokrajowiec, miałem trudności z czytaniem tego dzieła, ale po kilku działach już nie przejmowa
Arcey
Dec 19, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: history
Historický epos z konca temného stredoveku, verne zobrazená doba plná klamstiev, predsudkov, mylne vykladaných skutočností a bitka o vieru za cenu krívd, krvi a spálenej zemi. Príbeh rytierov Macka a Zbyska z Bogdanca zachytáva šesť veľkých rokov pred bitkou pri Grunwalde. Autor získal za toto dielo Nobelovu cenu za literatúru a nie je sa čomu čudovať. Realisticky zobrazené životy v Poľsku, ktoré sužovala Rehoľa Nemeckých rytierov, ktorá na úkor pokrestančovania používala všetky prostriedky a pr ...more
Piet Michael
May 30, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: polish
Jak tu zaczac? Byc moze o tak: Jestem Polonista, z tym ze zdolalem zdac egzaminy bez Sienkiewicza, z czego bylem szczesliwy, poniewaz mialem w zakamarkach okropna ekranizacje "Krzyzakow" z lat powojennych. Teraz, lata pozniej, mialem odwage i stwierdzilem, iz ksiazka nie jest wcale taka zla. Dlaczego? Dlatego, ze mozna ja takze czytac jako czysto przygodowa. Nie, nalegam nawet, zeby nie czytac jej z powodu historycznego, lub informacyjnego! Albowiem miary dziewietnastowieczne, t.j. nacjonalistyc ...more
Monika
I hated it. I just genuinely hated this book. It was my obligatory reading in high school and I've only managed to finish the first chapter before throwing it away. And I can't really explain what exactly pissed me off. There is another one of his works ("Potop") on the reading list, and the funny thing is almost everyone I know, who read them, either likes "Krzyżacy" or "Potop" (or neither), but never both. I guess it's like "cat pople" and "dog people" or coffe and tea. Liking one of them some ...more
Robert Martinez
Jun 08, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Older poeple who care for history.
My mother started to read this book to me and my four siblings years ago. But we had an earlier version of the book that only had the first half of the story and was even under the title of "The Knights of the Cross". My Brother in-law lent me this book just last week and after about six years I finally finished the book.
Overall the book shows the times as they were, with all the Catholic superstitions, wars, death and struggles. Though I enjoyed the book I would not recommend the book to ever
Dilyana Georgieva
Първият ми истински исторически роман и... може би не съм създадена за такива.
Очарова ме простия наивизъм на героите и колко симпатично глупав е рицарят Збишко. Може би ми отне твърде дълго време да се преборя с романа, а може би наистина действието е малко мудно, не съм сигурна. Но в един (доста напреднал) момент откриваш едни неочаквани истини, които са по-големи от живота - за силата на преображението и свръхсилата на прошката.
Героите наистина ти лягат на сърцето, мъчно ти става дори и за т
Walt
Despite the enormous size of this "Polish classic," it is a fast read. It is clearly a novel that spends a lot of time degrading the German knights.

Ignoring the obvious bias, the book does provide a fascinating glimpse into the late Medieval society of Poland - politics, economics, diplomacy, medicine, food, and entertainment are all presented in a near-authentic background to the lead characters and their adventures.
Anna
Jul 18, 2007 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I had to read it at school. Later it was better. It's a story of Zbyszek of Bogdaniec who joins Polish forces in fight against Teutonic Knights in early 15th century. He meets Jurand of Spychów and falls in love wth his daughter. There's a despcription of Battle of Grunwald (in German sources known as 1st Battle of Tannenberg - 2nd one was 500 years later, 1914). Very good story, but the book is a little bit too thick.
Emila
Jul 14, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Książka ta była moją lekturą. Byłam sceptycznie do niej nastawiona, ale już w trakcie czytania historii miłości Zbyszko i Danusi moje serce zmiękło. Pokochałam w pewien sposób tą książkę i nie żałuję, że ją przeczytałam. Polecam ją, choć sam odczyt może sprawiać trudność przez starodawny język, ale dla book reader'a to żaden problem.
Pēteris Paikens
Bija tīri labi - nekas pārāk īpašs, bet lasījās labi, strauji, interesanti. Autors uzcītīgi (pārlieku?) mēģina radīt viduslaiku atmosfēru ar detalizētiem sīkumu aprakstiem, nu un tajā kontekstā ir klasisks 'piedzīvojumu stāsts' ar varoņiem, kuriem patīkami just līdzi.

Vēsturiskumu gan bik čakarē strikti pārspīlētais labo/ļauno sadalījums, bet nu tas laikam 'varoņsāgām' piederas.
☘Misericordia☘ ⚡ϟ⚡ϟ⚡⛈   ❂❤❣
Incredible, amazing novel! I cannot really explain what I liked most about it, but it accounted for lots of strong emotions I experienced while reading it.
I read it in Polish original version 'Krzyżacy' and Russian translation 'Крестоносцы'.
Mike Hill
Nov 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

An amazing story that stirs the very soul! Outstanding tale of bravery, chivalry and love. Every one should read this amazing story.
carnival
Remaining a nightmare from my school times, the book turned out to be an ordinary medieval adventure story, when I read it again. I found the main character quite annoying with his exagerrated pride and exaltation.
Agnieszka
O Boże ledwo to przeżyłam, czytając tę ksiązkę jako lekturę szkolną w gimnazjum. Tortury dla trzynastolatki. Z obrzydzeniem odłożyłam ją po przeczytaniu. A przeczytałam tylko dlatego, że na polskim wymagali.
Timofey
Exciting story about the middle ages and the religiosity that people fell into. With strong historical ties to the crusades and the Polish role in them. Has romance, history, action, and all the good stuff, very well written.
Viel Nast
Apr 08, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: historic-novels
you enter into medieval Poland and its struggle with the german knights of the cross. the hero a young knight passes through many adventurous tragic and sad until he finds true love, peace and fame. the narrative is excellent and you really live in that fantastic world of medieval conflict chivalry rivalry and national pride.
Alisa
Apr 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I feel like this is a man's version of pride and prejudice in some ways. I find the ending especially entertaining for that reason. The first few chapters are rough to get through but after that, it is a good read with plenty of history and some great underlying themes.
Judith
Dec 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Read this back in the 1990s and named a cat after one of the characters. : )
Michinio Camorelli
Can easily review this one with the only word: EPIC!
Fred R
Aug 02, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I am very sorry my country doesn't have a writer like Sienkiewicz.
Roiban Dana
Apr 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Cartea care mi-a marcat copilăria.
Nezka
Dec 17, 2009 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I LOVED Sienkiewicz's QUO VADIS, but I could only get through a few chapters of the KNIGHTS. The writing style is just too simple for my tastes; this could have something to do with the translator of course. Shame, I was hoping to enjoy it.
Umut Badakoğlu
Aug 20, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
That was a wonderful book,when I read it I feel that era and all those kinghts and other stuffs "BUT" author is sympathizer of Poland & Lithuania for this reason it's kinda like propaganda book...
Biblioworm
Jul 17, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
Очень неторопливое повествование, но далеко не такое увлекательное как у Дюма.
Збышек совершенно картонный и примитивный характер.
Kasia
Aug 30, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very good book about the beginning of Christianity in Poland and the control of Teutonic Knights (Germans) over the people.
Andrey
Aug 18, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My all-time favorite book. Amazing story with a historical setting showing the what the Catholic faith really is.
Goethicus
A dramatic and stirring tale but also a flawed and partisan apologia for Poland's war on the Teutonic Order.
Rebecca
Paints a picture of the vileness of the Teutonic Knights, and delves into the Catholicism of Poland.
Lina Dikšaitė
Aug 29, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Nors autorius istoriją interpretuoja savaip, tačiau kiekvienam lietuviui vertėtų perskaityti.
Michal
Jun 18, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The first half is slow but necessary for the intriguing 2nd half. Great read!
cliff
Feb 01, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A good read but not in the same class as the trilogy.
Teutonic Knights 1 9 Aug 30, 2013 08:46AM
  • Awantura o Basię
  • Przedwiośnie
  • The Morality of Mrs. Dulska: A Play by Gabriela Zapolska
  • Zemsta
  • Pulpecja (Jeżycjada, #8)
  • Wedding
  • Inny świat
  • Medaliony
  • Akademia Pana Kleksa (Pan Kleks #1)
  • Zdążyć przed Panem Bogiem
  • Pan Samochodzik i Templariusze (Pan Samochodzik #4)
Henryk Adam Aleksander Pius Sienkiewicz (also known as "Litwos"; May 5, 1846–November 15, 1916) was a Polish journalist and Nobel Prize-winning novelist. He was one of the most popular Polish writers at the turn of the 19th and 20th centuries, and received the Nobel Prize in Literature in 1905 for his "outstanding merits as an epic writer."

Born into an impoverished gentry family in the Podlasie vi
More about Henryk Sienkiewicz...
“Poland! Poland! The very name carries with it sighings and groanings, nation-murder, brilliance, beauty, patriotism, splendors, self-sacrifice through generations of gallant men and exquisite women; indomitable endurance of bands of noble people carrying through world-wide exile the sacred fire of wrath against the oppressor, and uttering in every clime a cry of appeal to Humanity to rescue Poland.” 1 likes
“A potem, wyciągnąwszy swój różowy paluszek, dotknęła nim białej jedwabnej jaki Zbyszkowej i cofając go natychmiast zapytała: — A jutro też będzie mój?” 0 likes