Start by marking “Old Magic” as Want to Read:
Old Magic

Old Magic

Jarrod Thornton is mesmerising.

But Kate Warren doesn't know why.

The moment the new guy walks into the room, Kate senses something strange and intense about him. Something supernatural. Her instincts are proven correct a few minutes later when, bullied by his classmates, Jarrod unknowingly conjures up a freak thunderstorm inside their classroom.

Jarrod doe
Published December 22nd 2009 by Simon Pulse (first published January 1st 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Old Magic, please sign up.
Mega Speedreader This book came out WAYYYY before Beautiful Creatures and it's also far far better. They go back in time at one point to change a curse put on Jarrod's…moreThis book came out WAYYYY before Beautiful Creatures and it's also far far better. They go back in time at one point to change a curse put on Jarrod's family. I'd definitely recommend this much more than Beautiful Creatures for sure. (less)
Xyra I agree with Oda leaning toward PG-13 due to villain ferocity.

Marianne Curley
May 17, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Old Magic was my first published book and has remained a favourite with readers in countries around the world, having translations in fourteen international languages. It is a young adult paranormal fantasy with romance, adventure and time-travel with one of the original strong female leads for this genre.
Sara ♥
May 8-10, 2010

I REALLY like this book. It's really a coming of age story for both the hero and the heroine, but especially for Jarrod, who has a LOT of growing to do. The magic is really interesting and the big bad guy is REALLY scary! My only complaint: There wasn't NEARLY enough kissing. ;) I wish there had been one more scene at the end......
Mars
Bought my copy for less than a dollar. I started reading it at least three times, but I couldn't get past the first chapter each time. Finally, on a Friday night when our ISP sucked big time and I had no internet to distract me from reading, I went through the pile of to-read books beside my bed.

The story eventually picked up, and I finished it in this sitting! The description at the back of the book didn't hint anything about what happened in the second half, so:

And I happened to be a sucker for (spoiler) "TT", so it was a pleasant surprise! And that new..."setting" fascinated me so. It was like reading a different book!

I kept going back to the pages where the family tree was detailed - because you know what usually happens with "TT" - but nothing happened. The twist in the curse, that's what happened. I wasn't contented with the explanation behind the breaking (or not) of the curse.

One thing that got me really excited was the fight: specifically, the choice (or not) between weapon and magic. That was pretty wicked.

I don't know what exactly was refreshing about reading this: that it was set in Australia (and somewhere else that was not in America), or that it was set in an earlier time (haha!), or the story itself. But what I knew is that I can't believe I gave up on this earlier!
Jessica
Jan 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned
One of my favorite books that I read when I was younger. It was very easy for me to understand and with the reading problems I had at that point in time that shows a lot. I think this book would be very good for preteens or even older if you like this type of book. I read this book a long time ago, but I can still remember the last sentence in the book, just because of how much I enjoyed the book and was sad for the story to be over.
Rebecca
Nov 25, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
'I recall the look in Rhauk's eyes the moment he spotted Kate. It will stay with me forever, carved into my brain like an engraving on a headstone. It's as if he found something he treasured, something he's been looking for all his life.'

(view spoiler) ...more
CaRo
Oct 04, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I can not put in words how much I love this book.
I have first read it when I was 14 years old and I don't know how many times since than. Jarrod was my first book crush and still is <3
Saniya
Mar 15, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: favorites
Oh my gosh. This is one the best book I have ever read!!! Smiley Or maybe I am getting super extra excited because I am reading these freaking awesome books after 1 month bcuz to exams!!! Smiley This book was totally awesome and I just can't believe how can anybody give this book a very low rating and freaking weird books high. And this was the first time ever that I liked the witch craft stuffs in a book. I don't know but I just don't like witchy stuffs in other books. I rather prefer vampires and shape-sh ...more
Adi (Reading in the Windowseat)
Loved it! Couldn't put it down.

This is a story I adored from beginning to end. For once the girl was the brave one, and the guy was the one who wouldn't take peer pressure or any risks for what he believes is good.

The mythology and time-orientation were great. This is a book about magic, but also about history. There were great references to the Middle Age culture and English history, all mixed up with witchcraft and present-day teen issues.

I loved Kate's char
Marissa
Jul 08, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Awesome book too. Magic and young romance mixed together. What could be better? Kate is a witch and so is her grandmother. When Jared is new to town and her school she realizes he has magic and power beyond hers and that he doesnt even know it! She finds out he has an ancient curse that has been put on his family and every 7th born in his ancestry. They go back into time to kill the sorcerer who created it and... die trying? It's up to you to find out.
Akylina

The story was rather predictable but enjoyable nevertheless. Sometimes, a good old story that reminds you of the books you loved as a teen is all you need to pull you out of that reading slump.
AMythicalBeast
Apr 06, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: high school romance readers, YA witchcraft readers, YA time travel readers
Recommended to AMythicalBeast by: amazon
2.5 stars is what I really want to give it.
When I first read an excerpt of the first chapter at Amazon.com, I thought- fantastic! A high school story, yes, but one where this bumbling boy, unaware of how much power he has, comes into contact with a girl who realises just how dangerous he could be- and he refuses to believe her!
It seemed like a plot that could only get funnier and more complicated as the chapters turned. Right?
When I finally chased the book down- it was
Gelisvb
Sep 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I've read this book when I was thirteen, and I was obsessed with it.
Jess
Dec 03, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: best-books-ever
Diane ϟ [ Lestrange ]
"romance with some time travel action"

Kate has had a strange childhood, raised in a remote Australian village by her grandmother, who is a witch. Not your brewing small children in a pot witch, but more a wise woman, who knows old magic...still, when you combine having such a grandmother with having strange powers yourself, it can make for high-school awkwardness. Especially in Kate's case--although her class is very small, her classmates slot themselves neatly into the stereotypes o
P.Q. Glisson
Apr 05, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My daughter has had this book in our family library since a book fair came to her school when she was in middle school. It's been waiting patiently for about ten years now. She pulled it off the shelf and read it first. Then she hounded me to read it so I finally gave in. Did I ever tell you that she has never steered me wrong? Well, this was no exception. It started out like every other teenage angst novel. The unusual girl and the boy she is drawn to. But, what got me was it turned out to be a ...more
Shelby Brynn
If I could I would actually give this book 3.5 stars. I really really enjoyed part two of the book and I if I was reviewing that alone this book would be 4 stars. The magic and the suspense in the second half of the book had me at the edge of my seat! The beginning however was slow and the writing felt rushed at times. All in all though I enjoyed reading it.
Ellinor
At first I thought this would be another Twilight. Two teenagers - one of them the new kid at school, the other one with strange abilities - falling in love. But I lost this impression after a few pages and started to really like this book. It was a quick read. I was only a little disappointed by the ending which I had expected to be much more spectacular.
Miranda
What a great read! I cannot believe I hadn't found this book sooner, it was written in the early 2000's! I really liked the progression of Jarrod's character, in the beginning I wasn't too crazy about him. I don't want to give too much away but... If your looking for a book that includes magic, time-travel, curses and some light romance then this book is for you! :)
Jill Hughes
Jun 12, 2015 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: young-adult
Okay.

I dislike this book.

I read it awhile ago, around last year or so, and back then it used to be more of a vitriolic hate, and it's simmered down now, but I still remember this one with some distaste.

The plot itself is fine, and is actually rather a cool concept. Kate, the granddaughter of a witch, and Jarrod, a boy from a family cursed with generations of bad luck, meet when Jarrod transfers to Kate's school. With her knowledge in magic and her grandmother's help, the two travel back in ti
~Tina~
Sep 29, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: hocus-pocus
Living in Canada this was a very rare book to get a hold of.
Only by a dear friend of mine, who lives in the US, sent me a copy, that I had the pleasure of reading this wonderful gem.

OLD MAGIC was a wonderful story of boy-becomes-man and having faith in what you are...even if you don't want to admit the Lady is right ;)

Kate and Jarrod's journey takes them to olden times where they must make right what has been wronged to Jarrod's ancestries.
Through this time th
Oda Renate
Jun 11, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I just realised I have rated this but not reviewed it. ( Bad Oda BAD. Go and be ashamed of youself... goes to the corner for an appropiate amount of time)
I first read this back in 2004, I found it in a flea marcket at my middle school one of the few good memories from those years(yupp that old being bullied in middle school story is mine).
I picked it up because the cover was beautiful and I was intrigued by the plot.
Flash forward to me after reading it :O:) :O My thoughts: HOW IS IT
Lauren
Feb 11, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: middle-grade, ya
Fun, easy read. A teen romance about a clumsy boy whose family is cursed. They eventually go back in time to the Middle Ages to take care of the curse. Fun concept that teen girls would eat up.

Positives: Liked the character's physical descriptions. Very clear visuals in my head. The villain was the best crafted character in the book though. This author knows how to do EVIL.

Criticism: While I liked the book being told in alternating points of view (between Kate and Jarrod)
kari
Jan 29, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ya, 2010
Marsha
Jan 02, 2010 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Old Magic has an interesting storyline. Two high school students Jarrod and Kate meet and experience an interesting fascination for one another only to discover both of them have secrets and those secrets are putting one of their families lives in jeopardy. The chapters of the book flip-flop from being told from Jarrod's perspective and then Kate's. I for one usually like this approach as well as enjoy reading first person narratives. However, the writing of this book was lethargic, choppy and b ...more
Bianca
I read this book ages ago (okay, no, it was just seven or eight years ago). It was one of the first fantasy novels I read, and something in me just... clicked on. While I loved books before, this for me was a discovery.
It was cathartic to let go of all my problems for a few hours and disappear in a fictitious world. In somebody else's life.
Everyone has been an awkward teen, this novel taught me that I could become someone else in a novel.
I wrote for the first time, after I read this nove
Kathryn
Jul 14, 2010 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
While Old Magic'splot is semi-intriguing, the cover's promise that the two main characters share an "undeniable passion," is never realized. The romance is tepid. At best.

And worse: while the main character is 16, she reads like a tween which makes it further difficult to buy the star-crossed lovers theory. Basically: decent concept, bad writing and characterization.
Judy M.
Jul 14, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: nobody
Recommended to Judy by: nobody
Shelves: never-again
A long time ago, maybe about a year, I found Old Magic through the asks and small amount of reviews I read from one blog I used to frequent: @marysueproblems. Everyone joked that the characters were so bad that there’s no way they can finish the book. I thought “how bad can the book possibly be?”
And well, I finished the book.
It’s pretty bad.

A lot of my friends got interesting texts from me that either said “I HATE THIS FUCKING BOOK” or “I beg for the sweet release of deat
Sara Grochowski
Genre: Young Adult
Main Themes: Magic, Curses, Love, Time travel
Pages: 317
Plot (from back cover):
"Jarrod Thornton is mesmerizing, but Kate Warren doesn't know why.

Nicole Wang
Mar 15, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition

I walked into Half Price Bookstore, expecting to find a little treausure among all the discarded books. I mean, a person's trash can be another person's treasure, right? And guess what I foudn...Old Magic. The cover drew me in, the title hooked me on, and the summary sealed the deal.

This book had all the cliches of a fantasy/paranormal novel. New guy. Check. Cute. Check. Something freaky happens. Check. Secrets are found. Double check. But hey, we all need a little cheesiness in our li
Rikke
Aug 24, 2014 rated it it was ok
It has been a lovely, but also very stressful week, and when I finally found some time for reading this Sunday, I wanted to read something light and easy; I wanted to read something fun.
In all fairness, "Old Magic" certainly was light and easy. I read it in a few hours, and it didn't demand too much of me. And that is something I appreciate.

However, the story itself was not what I had hoped it would be. Curley uses the oldest cliché in the book and lets the new, mysterious boy in

• The China Garden
  • Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Harry Potter, #7)
  • The Calling (Sweep, #7)
  • Violet Eyes (Violet Eyes, #1)
  • Jekel Loves Hyde
  • Timeless Love
  • Voice of the Undead (Alex Van Helsing #2)
  • No Time to Die (Dark Secrets, #3)
  • Last Dance (The Seer, #2)
  • Out of Time (Time Travelers, #2)
  • Dreaming Anastasia (Dreaming Anastasia, #1)
  • The Shamer's Signet (The Shamer Chronicles, #2)
I loved reading from a young age and scoured my school libraries during my younger years, but I never thought I would become a writer. It was not until my mid-thirties, while teaching office studies and computers to adults at the Coffs Harbour Education Campus that I began to think seriously about writing. I took several courses and experimented with different styles and genres. With two teenage d ...more
2 trivia questions
3 quizzes
More quizzes & trivia...
“This wind is mystical yet tame, and it sings to me.” 69 likes
“Not to know what happened before you were born is always to remain a child. For what is a man’s life if it is not linked with the life of future generations by memories of the past?” 15 likes