Start by marking “Winter Is Not Forever (Seasons of the Heart, #3)” as Want to Read:
Winter Is Not Forever (Seasons of the Heart, #3)

Winter Is Not Forever (Seasons of the Heart #3)

4.03  ·  Rating details ·  2,821 Ratings  ·  81 Reviews
Josh Jones realizes his family isn't typical, but it's the only life he's ever known. Aunt Lou, Gramps, Uncle Charlie, Grandpa--they all have shaped the young man he has become. But as he grows into manhood, Josh begins to face important questions about life, love, and faith. Three million books sold in the series!
Published May 1st 2010 by Bethany House Publishers (first published January 1st 1988)

To ask other readers questions about Winter Is Not Forever, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Winter Is Not Forever

Angela Watts
My first Janette Oke book, and it was so sweet. My Granny loved Mrs. Oke, and I'm looking forward to reading more. A fine little book.
Nov 14, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: christianity, fiction
This was basically like watching a long "The Waltons" show. (not that i've ever actually seen an entire Waltons show - but I did see my Mom watching it once).

So, Boy graduates from high school, works on the farm, Loves working on the farm, questions whether he should do more in life, becomes a good Christian farmer. Meanwhile his old girlfriend and buddy run off to become missionaries in South Africa.
Meets a cute girl who also loves the farm... mostly ignores her the entire FREAKIN' STORY.
Apr 05, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: who ever wants to read a boring book!
yeah its not one of those books that you just cant put down,its kinda boring and dosen't have much to it,but yeah i wouldn't say its a must read.(definately)
Aug 17, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Helvry Sinaga
Recommended to nat by: Iyut
Dari keempat serinya beginilah kesanku:

Buku I : buku yang menggambarkan sisi emosional seorang anak dengan pas, unik, lucu :) Josh sebagai tokoh utama tidak hanya ditonjolkan kebaikannya, namun juga pergumulannya untuk memaafkan dan mencoba mengenal Tuhan..

Buku II : Josh yang beranjak remaja dengan cinta pertamanya dan harapan-harapannya. Khas sekali dan benar-benar pas dengan perasaan saat remaja yang dipenuhi bunga-bunga pengharapan.Persahabatan dengan Willie yang menyentuh hati, dan percikan
Dec 03, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The rating I gave is to be considered within the context of the entire series. Good wholesome books. Simple books. Josh is graduating and trying to decide the path that God wants him to take. While all of his friends have direction, he does not, at least he does not recognize immediately what it is. While he is waiting to get that direction he takes over the farming for his grandpa and uncle. He grew up on the farm and loved it, but did not get directly involved in the planting, harvesting and w ...more
Aug 28, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Ok so maybe this whole series was sappy but I am a sucker for that stuff. I love series like this where you can really feel the characters personality and visualize the story playing out. I could hardly wait to read the next book and was definitely disappointed when I finished them.
Jan 27, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
It wasn't as eventful as the first two in the series, but it's been fun watching Josh grow into a man and the struggles he has with life, farming, relationships, etc. I can tell that this installment is leading up to the last in the series and I can't wait to see what is in store for Josh.
Feb 28, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Josh still has a tendency to be stupid but this was better than the previous book.
Oct 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
The third chapter in Joshua Jones story was light hearted and sweet for the majority with a surprising twist at the end that brought tears to my eyes.
Joshua is graduating from school and unsure what he wants to do with his life. Willie is off to learn how to be a missionary. Camellia is heading to New York to become an interior decorator. And Josh is left behind, wondering what his purpose in life is meant to be. But when he notices Grandpa and Uncle Charlie struggling to keep up the farm he dec
Heather Macinnis
Jan 21, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I’ve been listening to these books on CDs while driving. Such pleasant company.
Feb 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loss so deep

He lost his girl or maybe she was never his girl.Willy going to the mission field. Camilla coming to the Lord as well as her mother. The loss of life & illnesses.
The continuation of the story of Josh and the family, these are a very easy read and perfect for a road trip!!!
Dec 29, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good characters and nice story. True to genre and similar to other prairie stories. Don’t miss! This series is really good and follows the characters as they grow up.
Jun 22, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked this one the best of the series.
Valerie (Val's Vicinity)
The long-awaited Graduation Day is fastly approaching for Josh and his friends. Soon they'll be done with school and they'll leave the little schoolhouse behind forever. Josh's friends all have big plans for their lives, many are going on to college, and his best friend Willie is headed to Bible College in preparation for mission work. But Josh still doesn't have an answer when people ask him what his plans are. He's considered several things, but hasn't felt God leading him towards anything in ...more
Feb 09, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is the third in the seasonn's of the Heart series, which follows the main character Josh Jones from age 9 through his 20's and is set in the late 1800's and early 1900's-- the entire series is wonderful! I like the realistic look at family life during this time period in history-- it's filled with a lot of sorrows and set-backs, but also with hope and with a lot of life lessons. I've read this series many times and I have taken something different away from it each time-- this series o ...more
Jun 05, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is about Josh trying to find what God's calling is for him in life. He graduates from school not sure what his next step is so he begins to work on the farm. Grandpa and Uncle Charlie are aging more rapidly than he thought and they cannot manage on their own. Eventually they board the town's school marm and use her wages to hire Mary Turley to live with them and manage the household. Josh continues to pray for Camellia to become Christian and with the help of Willie (who has gone back ...more
Nadine Keels
Apr 08, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Joshua: "It seems so simple."
Uncle Nat: "Maybe it is. Maybe we're the ones who make it complicated."

Much about farming in this one, getting a sense of one's purpose, and more on the dynamics of Josh's unique household of bachelors. I'm still working through this series with no blurbs to tell me what to look for (I so prefer it that way), and for the most part, I enjoyed this one about as much as the first two, despite the fact that there isn't as much humor and the ending is abrupt, without enou
Jan 13, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoy Janette Oke's stories. They aren't anything I rave about to my friends, but they are a source of feel-good entertainment with high morals, and that is nice. Her stories are comfortable and it's easy to feel at home in her settings and feel like a friend of the family of characters.

Each book in this particular series can be read as a stand alone book, but I do recommend that they be read in order if one plans to read all of them. Because of availability, I read #4 before #3, and didn't l
Sep 21, 2014 rated it liked it
Rating: 5/10

I liked it but it is nothing special. There is a decent amount of the book dedicated to farming. The introduction of the two girls who come and live with them add an interesting development in the storyline. If I was reading this as a book I would give up reading it for sure but having listened to the audio version, it made it easier to get into.

The Questions:

Entertaining/Addictive?: Not addictive at all though it was lightly entertaining

Writing Style?: Time moves very quickly so you
Jun 11, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: listened-to
Josh graduates from high school but has no idea what to do with his life. He decides to temporarily farm with his grandpa and Uncle Charlie since they are aging and having a difficult time keeping up with everything. He hopes God will help him decide what his calling in life is to be as he works the farm. He implements new methods and they take in the new school teacher to board and Mary Turley is hired to live in and help with kitchen duties as Uncle Charlie's arthritis won't allow him. They al ...more
Dora Wagner
Jul 07, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: july-2015
Josh is faced with some difficult decisions within this book. He is grappling with God's call on his life. What is he supposed to do with his life? He begins to notice that his beloved grandfather and great uncle are aging and begins to help on the family farm, all the while thinking God will show him the way, in the midst of his farm work. What is he supposed to do for a career. It is a great theme, which the book centers around. He also faced with the knowledge that his first love will marry a ...more
Feb 23, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was another enjoyable book with Josh. As usual, I laughed out loud several times. What I liked about this one was that when Josh was disappointed or faced with something hard, he didn't lost his faith this time--he trusted in God to work things out and comfort him. I thought it showed really well how he was maturing. I also liked how Camellia's conversion came about--how she really fought it for a while before even being curious, and then how she still resisted for a while before becoming c ...more
Oct 05, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Odetta by: Talking Books
I liked this book. It was kind of slow. It says it's number 3 in the series. I don't think I've heard 1&2, maybe that's why it was so hard to get into.

ETA: Here we go again. Talking Books sent this back to me to listen to again. So, here I am, listening to it again. This time though I have heard books 1 & 2 & liked them. 1-24-12

This time through I LOVED IT!!!!!!! But now I know Josh & Willy & the other characters.
Season Sinclair
Jul 22, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
All four of the books in this series were delightful. They were beautifully written, and captivated me right into the world of Josh and Uncle Charlie and Mary and Matilda. I could see the harvest wagons traversing the fields and smell the coffee brewing on the stove. The books are written in first person, which is unusual. However, I soon felt as though I knew the characters, and the life they lived became one that I wanted to experience.
Jul 07, 2007 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love picking up Janette Oke to re-read. Her writing is familiar as I've been reading her since I was a young teen. I know the stories so well, it is like sitting down with a good friend. I don't have to think, so these books I'm usually reading at 11:30 PM when I need ten minutes of reading before hitting the pillow!
Jessica Van Vleet
May 12, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Really enjoyed this one. I'm glad I stuck with this series, is really gotten better than I thought it was going to be. This one is more of a Christian read than the when calls the heart series. Still a great read.
Sep 06, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: christian
Josh is graduating & branching out into love himself. A mans coming of age story if there ever was one of inspirational proportions. Girls will like the blooming relationships & perhaps guys can learn a positive way of treating the fairer sex. Good for all kids 9 or older.
Meadow Frisbie
Mar 28, 2008 rated it really liked it
Josh is struggling with what is futur will hold. Willie is a missionary, Camilla is going to be an interior designer and Josh is left caring for his Grandpa and Uncle Charlie's farm, he doesn't mind. In fact he loves it. But is it what he was meant to do.
Feb 06, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
This book spans several years of Josh's life, beginning just before his graduation. Josh was struggling with understanding what God had in store for his life. This book was a fast read for me and a pleasant one.
  • The Long Road Home (A Place Called Home, #3)
  • Janette Oke: A Heart for the Prairie
  • The Gentle Rebel: 1775 (House of Winslow #4)
  • The Reapers Song (Red River of the North, #4)
  • Toward the Sunrising (Cheney Duvall, M.D., #4)
Janette Oke writes with a profound simplicity of what she knows best—real life, honest love, and lasting values. With over 23 million in sales, her historical novels portray the lives of early North American settlers from many walks of life and geographical settings. She also writes engaging children's stories and inspiring gift books that warm the heart.

Janette was born during the depression year
More about Janette Oke...

Seasons of the Heart (4 books)
  • Once upon a Summer (Seasons of the Heart, #1)
  • Winds of Autumn (Seasons Of The Heart, #2)
  • Spring's Gentle Promise (Seasons of the Heart, #4)

Fiction Deals

• Vanessa and Her Sister
    $13.99 $2.99
  • The King's Mistress
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Midnight Sun (The Northern Lights Series, No 3)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Cement Garden (Ian McEwan Series Book 2)
    $8.99 $2.99
  • The Book of Love: Poems of Ecstasy and Longing
    $8.24 $1.99
  • Under the Wide and Starry Sky
  • Illuminations: A Novel of Hildegard von Bingen
    $14.95 $1.99
  • The Cove
    $7.49 $1.99
  • The Secret Healer (The Secret Healer #1)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • Bagombo Snuff Box
  • The High Mountains of Portugal
  • The Cat's Pajamas: Stories
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Thistle and the Rose (Tudor Saga, #8)
  • The Burgess Boys
    $12.99 $1.99
  • Waterfalls (Glenbrooke, #6)
    $11.99 $1.99
  • The Tibetan Book of the Dead: The Great Liberation through Hearing in the Bardo (Shambhala Classics)
  • Skinny Legs and All
    $14.99 $1.99
  • The Unkillable Kitty O'Kane
  • The Most Dangerous Place on Earth
    $13.99 $1.99
  • Waiting for Morning (Forever Faithful, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99