Start by marking “Hatter M, Volume 3: The Nature of Wonder” as Want to Read:
Hatter M, Volume 3: The Nature of Wonder

Hatter M, Volume 3: The Nature of Wonder

(Hatter M #3)

In Volume 3, The Nature of Wonder, Royal Bodyguard Hatter Madigan follows the Glow of the setting sun into America's wild west in search of Wonderland's lost princess. Hatter's adventures will include a shamanic vision quest in the Grand Canyon and tracking Black Imagination through San Francisco's Barbary Coast where he discovers an astounding clue to his own haunted past ...more
Published October 15th 2010 by Automatic Pictures (first published October 5th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Hatter M, Volume 3, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hatter M, Volume 3

Mizuki
Apr 10, 2014 rated it really liked it
Te artwork is as awesome as before, and I can't wait for the sequel!

In Vol. 3 of the Hatter M series, Hatter M, Royal bodyguard of Queen of the Wonderland, is still on his quest to find the lost princess, Alyss. I enjoy his journey and the authors' awesome artwork had brought the part-historical, part-fantasy America of the Victorian era to life!
Dawn
Apr 15, 2012 added it
Dawn States
Graphic Novel

The Third book of the Hatter M series delivers and continues the series in a satisfactory manner. A highly imaginative graphic novel with excellent artwork, text, and inspiring quotes make for a thoughtful read, something that other graphic novels may lack. The power of wonder and imagination are constantly stressed, while the plot moves quickly and with lots of action.
As we follow Hatter Madigan through Earth in search for Alyss, lost princess of Wonderland, we come a
Kristina
Jun 08, 2016 rated it liked it
This series reminds me of an anime I once watched, Kino's Journey. Interesting, but not terribly exciting. The stories of Hatter's (and Kino's) travels are all very interesting, and they each stand alone in their own right, and the people he meets during his journey are all compelling, but it is slow paced and all over the place. There's no real set story other than Hatter is looking for Alyss, but these stories are about what Hatter goes through during that search. Other than following a glow, ...more
Jessica
Jul 06, 2017 rated it it was ok

While I am still fascinated by the artwork and the world of Hatter, I think I hit a wall with this book. It kills me to say it, because I really do love Frank Beddor and his imagination, and typically thrill to see the world come alive before me, but my interest definitely waned with this telling.

I don't know if it was the adventure, the characters or just the story as a whole that failed to pull me in, but I found myself sighing with almost every page turn, and flipping through the pag
Heaven Ashlee
Oct 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The pacing was really hoppin' in this one! I also really loved how many extras we got from Alyss's journal!
Dominique
Jul 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: manga, 2017
Best one yet I really liked visiting the Native American tribe and seeing the map of the USA and some of its land marks was really cool.
Malachi Alexander-Murrell
Sep 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
Its a very good book,the detail that the author and illustrator go into just for this book show how much they were dedicated to this book
Tim
Oct 13, 2010 rated it really liked it
Even though everyone who deserved it got their happy end in ArchEnemy, the third volume of "The Looking Glass War" series, there are still tales left untold. Here is the third volume chronicling the adventures Hatter Madigan, Royal Bodyguard to Princess Alyss of Wonderland, as he searches our reality for his lost charge.

In The Looking Glass War (the first novel of the trilogy) Madigan and Alyss took a trip through the Pool of Tears to escape Alyss's murderous Aunt Redd, and Madigan and his cha
Donna
Oct 02, 2016 rated it really liked it
I do love these books and the world that Beddor and Liz Cavalier have created, especially considering Hatter is my favorite character in the entire series. I love how they’re focusing on his search for Alyss and where that’s taken him. I doubly love that they’ve worked history into the mix and really blended reality with Wonderland and how seamlessly it all mixed together.

Being able to see Hatter as a young boy almost humanizes him. He is a bit of a stiff character and watching him interact with
Tara van Beurden
Feb 18, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: own, books-read-2012
This is the third of the Hatter Madigan graphic novels, filling in the years between Princess Alyss of Wonderland being tossed into our world and her finally getting back to the Queendom she rightfully rules. I love the character of Hatter Madigan (he’s like a nicer version of Vegeta from Dragonball Z, in my head) and its fun to read about his exploits, particularly given how Beddor and Cavalier interweave his story with history, Forrest Gump style. Alas, another volume must come, as Hatter does ...more
Christina
Dec 13, 2010 rated it liked it
Hatter's adventures continue as does his search for Alyss. This time he's in Washington D.C., where he meets agents of the "Bureau of Illuminated Forces," who work for President Lincoln, studying paranormal "Imagination" mysteries. The plot is one part supernatural (zombie warriors created by Black Imagination!), one part steampunk (flying by dirigible to the Grand Canyon!), and if it weren't for the weird illustrations I'd give it more stars. I just don't like this artist's style, unfortunately ...more
Nik
Mar 07, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I loved this volume of Hatter M. It's my favorite of the first three. It is so much more personal for Hatter in this book. We learn more about brother Dalton and how he disappeared! Also, how the princesses (Guinevere and Redd) are captured when Dalton was in charge when Queen Theodora ruled Wonderland. I love all the stuff with Realm, the White Imagination Shaman lady. And Hallows Bend with Smith is fantastic. It's like Hatter needed these spiritual pick-me-ups to keep fighting the good fight t ...more
Danielle
The further I get into this series the less original each book feels. Hatter Madigan is still searching for Princess Alyss. This time in the "wild" west and what wild west trip is complete without a shamanic vision quest? Even if it doesn't fit at all...

The art hasn't really grown on me. I find it rather difficult at times to follow what's going on between panels. I've picked up the fourth and final volume. The first volume and Hatter Madigan's character has me intrigued enough to still want to
Kate
Apr 25, 2014 rated it it was ok
As I read these graphic novels, I'm getting less and less fond of them. I just discovered there was a fourth volume and I almost cried (but not really, obvs). Anyway, This third one was definitely my least favorite although it did mention Iowa...represent! and Colorado...soon to represent! I probably will end up reading the fourth one to find out if they finally find the lost fucking princess. We'll see.
David
When I started reading this, I didn't like it much. It seemed a little forced, and in the beginning the background of the story seemed very uncomfortably unclear for me.

I must note that by the end of this book, I was reaching for the other two I had checked out after it- glad that the series had continued. I loved the 'Millinary man' Madigan, and I love his quest... really interesting once you get into it- and I got very attached to him as a character. Good stuff!
Izlinda
Jan 09, 2011 rated it liked it
The "cameo" was it were by President Abraham Lincoln was fantastic. The nature quotes were excellent. I wish I had time to write them all down, but again, this was read in a rush while hanging out in a bookstore.

The backstory of Madigan idolizing and following his older brother around was fascinating. Through the novels we learned about Madigan's familial life as an adult, but not much about his childhood and that peek made me more relatable.
Drucilla
Actual rating: 3.5 stars. With the exception of one, we don't have any short vignettes in this book. Instead, we get a couple longer stories. The "Bureau of Illuminated Forces" story was ok, but I much prefered the extended Hatter flashback.
Richard
Dec 28, 2011 rated it really liked it
Check out the review on episode 10 of ComicPop Library at comicpoplibrary.com or on iTunes.
Alana
Jun 25, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2011
can't wait for the next one to come out!
Ben Brackett
Starting to get too hard to follow
Brian
Jul 28, 2010 rated it it was ok
Shelves: graphic-novels
Something about the art is really turning me off of this series.
Cherisa Masters
Jun 10, 2011 rated it really liked it
Wonderful art as always and always finding a way to connect to the real world.
Hillary
Oct 21, 2010 rated it liked it
I love these graphic novels. Specially if you read the Looking Glass Wars. I actually went to Borders today after work to read it haha. Can't wait for Volume 4.
Sammie
Mar 14, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It was good , not as good as the books but it's still interesting to see all Hatter went thought trying to find Alyss
Tawnie J.
Mar 10, 2016 rated it liked it
I'm going to be honest, I'm losing interest in this graphic novel series real quick. I'm not sure if this is because it's been years since I read the actual series or because it's a tad boring to me.
Jen
Apr 10, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
The art drives me to give this graphic novel a four. The language itself needed to be edited a bit.
Samra
Jul 28, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: library
I didnt like the artist as much as the first one however the story is intense and well done
Stacy
Nov 06, 2013 rated it liked it
I like the back story of Hatter searching for the princess, and the way historical events are tied into the narrative. However, it is dragging on a little long for my taste.
Elevetha
1.5 stars.

I think this was a little bit better than the last one, but still pretty atrocious.

I figured out why I'm continuing though.

They're really short.
Roni
Jun 01, 2016 rated it really liked it
I absolutely adore this series. If only my library had the rest of the books. It's quite interesting to get a look into Alyss' experiences here and I can't wait until she meets up again with Hatter

• Grimm Fairy Tales: The Dream Eater Saga, Volume 1
  • Grimm Fairy Tales Vol. 8
  • Grimm Fairy Tales Vol. 9
  • Rex Libris, Volume I: I, Librarian (Rex Libris, #1-5)
  • Doctor Who Volume 1: Fugitive
  • The Case of Madeleine Smith (A Treasury Of Victorian Murder)
  • God Save the Queen
  • Girl Genius Omnibus Volume 1: Agatha Awakens (Girl Genius, #1-3)
  • Alabaster
  • Doctor Who: The Only Good Dalek
  • Doctor Who: Through Time and Space
  • 1001 Arabian Nights: The Adventures of Sinbad, Vol. 1: Eyes of Fire
  • Soulless: The Manga, Vol. 2 (The Parasol Protectorate Manga, #2)
  • Star Wars: Knight Errant, Volume 3: Escape
Literary Sleuth and world creator Frank Beddor dared to expose the true story of Wonderland in the New York Times bestselling young adult trilogy The Looking Glass Wars. To satisfy the awakened curiosity of his readers he continued to tell the parallel adventures of Royal Bodyguard Hatter Madigan’s search for the lost princess in the graphic novel series Hatter M. He lives in Los Angeles.

Hatter M (6 books)
  • Hatter M, Volume 1: The Looking Glass Wars (Hatter M, #1)
  • Hatter M, Volume 2: Mad With Wonder
  • Hatter M, Volume 4: Zen of Wonder (Hatter M, #4)
  • Hatter M, Volume 5: Love of Wonder