Start by marking “Friends for Life” as Want to Read:
Friends for Life

Friends for Life

2.95  ·  Rating details ·  140 Ratings  ·  21 Reviews
Lisa, Meredith and Ann have known each other since the fifth grade. Now, nearly 30, they meet once a month at New York's Lucky Wok Chinese restaurant to catch up. Together, they celebrate trendy culture and each other. And together, they're about to face the forces that can drive them apart--life, lovers, and husbands--in this warm story about old friendship.
Published August 1st 1995 by Zebra (first published 1994)

To ask other readers questions about Friends for Life, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Friends for Life

Sue Kozlowski
Okay, kind of tacky. Three women in NYC are friends. Lisa marries a doctor, Meredith is beautiful, Ann decides to be a lesbian. Tells what its like after one gets married and has a baby. Read this twice.
Rachel
Aug 30, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
My least favorite of the Wolitzer books that I read this month, not to say that I didn't enjoy it! But I didn't think it went much deeper than that, either.

Meredith, Lisa and Ann are friends from childhood who, in their late twenties, continue to meet monthly (or more than monthly) as their lives take different paths in New York. First it's just career paths, but as their romantic lives become more serious, suddenly the group feels more threatened.

Dr. Lisa marries colleague Eric, a bit of a bore
Maureen
Mar 19, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I'm 40 pages in and I'm going to stop reading this book. If you knew me, you'd know this is a huge thing because I never stop reading a book once I've started. I don't like the writing style, I find the conversation contrived and I can't stand any of the predictable, cookie-cutter, insipid characters. I do not care in the least what happens to any of them. So I'm not going to read it...
Merrie Satran
Jul 03, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A good beach read. I must admit it helped that the main character was named Meredith :)
Kathleen
Jan 13, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Written in 1994, this novel of three women, friends since the fifth grade, reflects their life as they are about to turn 30. And perhaps even with the passing of twenty years, the concerns and questions and fears of women are still the same as are the challenges of a long friendship that must evolve with the women. Despite different personalities and interests and varied professions, the three women are bonded by all they shared as children, adolescents and 20 something’s; they readily admit the ...more
Betsy Brainerd
Not as good as "The Ten Year Nap" by Meg Wolitzer. More of a beach/summer read. (Or when you ought to be doing something else but you do want to know how it ends so you skim to the end read). Three friends in NYC have relationship problems. One is classically beautiful but self-centered, one is the "nice" girl/Dr., and the third discovers she is a lesbian (which is good because none of the guys were really cutting it).
Rebekkah
Feb 01, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
The completist in my decided that it would be a good idea to check out Meg Wolitzer's first book, and read through her novels in chronological order, since I enjoyed The Position and The Interestings so much.

This book really did nothing for me as a book. However, it was pretty interesting to see where she started in her published writing, and where it got her later. The seeds are definitely here, but this book pales in comparison to the others I've read, and was fairly forgettable.
Melissa
Feb 07, 2009 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
a bit of a let down. i really liked "the wife
and look forward to reading "the ten year nap." it really bothers me that i can't figure out how to italicize.
anway, it touches on some interesting issues of friends shifts and such, but more could've happened i guess. maybe more "stuff" would have made this more interesting. though some touched some nerves which is always a good thing.
Pascale
Having started reading Meg Wolitzer with "The Wife", I guess I was bound to find this earlier book more lightweight. This falls pretty squarely in the chick-lit category, but it is very, very superior chick-lit, thanks to Wolitzer's keen eye for detail and wonderful sense of humor. Even if this isn't the deepest analysis of female friendship ever written, it's a jolly pleasant ride.
Annalisa
Apr 26, 2010 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Post-modern psycho-drivel followed by an atypical happy ending in this would-be chic lit littered with unrelatable characters that put Seinfeld to shame. But- compelling enough that I actually finished it, which is saying something.
Cherie
Apr 13, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
A Really good Wolitzer; three young women, close friends, are living their confusing and hectic lives in Manhattan, growing up: men, career, honesty, love, friendship. I relate to these women in how friends become a solid substitute for family. Great writing, wonderful story.
Randi Daeger
Jan 31, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Meg Wolitzer writes so well......always enjoyable.
Rashmi Tiwari
Another Meg Wolitzer. This one an early one. It's a beach read. Or an airplane read. Nothing to see here. Engaging for what it is but not worth seeking out at all.
M
Dec 20, 2009 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Pathetic.
Claire
Sep 08, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Reminded me of my own friendships. Very relatable but not very interesting or exciting. Would recommend if you like your life reflected back at you, which I sometimes do!
Syd
Jan 14, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I like how Wolitzer flushes out characters and this novel did a good job of communicating the many conflicting emotions of long standing relationships.
Jeannie
Wolitzer writes interesting characters but doesn't really get deep enough with any of them to move them beyond the caricature state. Another book I had high hopes for but was left feeling "meh".
Andrea
Dec 30, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Tacky, cliche, stupid, but I freakin' loved it. Hell, I finished it in a few hours. What's happening to me
Lisa Walker
Mar 25, 2016
Jean
Oct 12, 2013
Kris
rated it did not like it
Jul 26, 2016
Saadi
Oct 18, 2013
Amanda
Jan 06, 2016
Meghann
Sep 13, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
What's The Name o...: Chick lit with Middlemarch [s] 14 167 Mar 19, 2013 09:13AM
  • The Odd Woman
  • Lives of the Saints
  • The Russian Affair
  • Lean Forward Into Your Life: Begin Each Day as If It Were on Purpose
  • Criminal Seduction
Meg Wolitzer is the New York Times–bestselling author of The Interestings, The Uncoupling, The Ten-Year Nap, The Position, The Wife, and Sleepwalking. She is also the author of the young adult novel Belzhar. Wolitzer lives in New York City.
More about Meg Wolitzer...