Start by marking “The Thieves Of Heaven (Michael St. Pierre, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Thieves Of Heaven (Michael St. Pierre, #1)

The Thieves Of Heaven (Michael St. Pierre #1)

3.6  ·  Rating details ·  830 Ratings  ·  78 Reviews
The most closely Guarded treasure on Earth.

An explosive ancient secret.

A breakneck journey into the heart of the Vatican.

In a small, heavily fortified room just north of the Sistine Chapel, a master thief is about to strike. All he needs is an instant–to steal the most important treasure in the Vatican museum: two antique keys–one gold, one silver–that protect the secret o
Published April 25th 2006 by Dell (first published January 1st 2002)

To ask other readers questions about The Thieves Of Heaven, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Thieves Of Heaven

Margarida
Um bom thriller, uma carga dramática intensa e com uma verdadeira história de amor e amizade, como pano de fundo.

Gostei da sinopse, mas não conhecia o autor, por isso resolvi trazê-lo da biblioteca na minha última visita; se não gostasse, pelo menos não tinha perdido dinheiro!

Confesso que no início pensei isso mesmo: ainda bem que não gastei dinheiro! - A escrita pareceu-me confusa, não desenvolvia, chegou a parecer-me que estava a ler as aventuras de Arsène Lupin. Para quem não sabe Arsène Lupi
Joanne Moyer
Michael St. Pierre is a master thief, but after getting caught because he stopped to help a crime victim, he spends 5 years in jail. On his release he vows to his wife that he will never steal again, and he doesn't until his wife gets sick and they can't afford the treatment. He receives a call from a mysterious stranger to steal an item from the most protected place on earth-The Vatican. While Michael has no real beliefs, his wife does and he hesitates but when the stranger offers to pay all of ...more
Alex
Aug 05, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: thriller
THIEVES OF HEAVEN (published 2006) was a very entertaining read. I absolutely could not put it down. This book was Richard Doestch's debut novel. Kudos to the author for rolling out such a great read on the front end of his writing career. I highly recommend it to anyone who enjoyed Dan Brown's Davinci Code. This novel is one of the best thrillers I've read lately, and although it's five years past its publication date, I had to give it a review so anyone who missed out on it can give it a go.

TH
Katie
Aug 04, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Lainy
Apr 25, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Meet Michael St. Pierre, a convicted thieve and now a reformed character. But what do you do when the life of the one you love is threatened and the only way you can pay for the medical treatment is to go back to a life you promised you never would.

Michael has no time for religion but loves his wife who never misses a Sunday at chapel and has religion in her heart. Events push Michael to confront his lack of faith and reassess everything he has thought true and face mans unholiest enemy!

I didn'
Blood Rose Books
In his debut novel Richard Doetsch explores what a man will do possible save to life and soul of the women he loves, even it means breaking a promise to her, his friends and bringing in to question everything that he believes.

In a small room in one of the most protected places on Earth The Sistine Chapel a master thief has come out of retirement to steal what are considered some of the most precious things are Earth, the two keys to Heaven. Michael who has given up on God and religion has no qua
Eva
Jan 02, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Que thriller este!
Muito para além do que, à partida, se poderia esperar ... diferente e surpreendente; uma leitura deveras agradável e interessante, até pela originalidade que apresenta.
O autor, um perfeito desconhecido para mim, cria uma história sem pretensões elevadas, mas competente e absorvente, senhora de um enredo bem conseguido e de um ritmo vertiginoso a que não conseguimos resistir.
Abandonando convencionalismos próprios do thriller, este antigo especialista em marketing, recria-o e re
Apzmarshl
Oct 07, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Apzmarshl by: Greg
Deb
Mar 04, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: thriller, religious
Michael used to be a thief--one of the best--but he gave that up to live with the love of his life, Mary. He doesn't want anything to mess up his life with her, as after a stint in prison he knows he couldn't bear the agony of being seperated from her again. So when he is approached my a mysterious man who wants Michael to steal something for him he refuses--but then Mary gets cancer and there is no way he can pay for her medical treatment. So Michael gets involved with this mysterious man's req ...more
Lunasea
Jun 25, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another incredible book recommended by Donald Maass. It says thriller right on the cover, but it is about the devil and religious supernatural stuff, so I'm counting it as urban fantasy.

The premise and fast paced had be tearing through pages. The end was as good as the rest of the book. I cared about the characters and what happened to them. My only problem was there was no grey to the Devil whatsoever. He wants to go home. That could have been played better (maybe I'm biased since that is what
Debra
Jul 16, 2011 rated it liked it
Although I liked this book well enough to read to the end, I didn't feel it was anything special. The plot was predictable, although the premise was interesting enough. I thought the main character bought into the "keys of heaven" a bit too quickly with little evidence to push him in that direction. Same with his cop friend. It's really hard to see what motivates them to do what they end up doing.

It was a quick, easy read. I will read the next on in the series because I got the 3rd one as a giv
Lisa
Oct 21, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Really enjoyed it...so much so that I went and picked up the next book in the series immediately!
Sílvia
May 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016
Um thriller 5 estrelas! Acção até ao último capítulo!
Bob
Feb 22, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The action never stops — not even when you're absolutely sure the story's at an end. Obviously in this 11-year-old novel much of the pieces pertaining to the Catholic faith come from author Richard Doetsch's wonderfully creative imagination. He actually does a fairly good job of treating the Church fairly, and mostly accurately. I cringed when he had a priest offer his homily in a "cassock," but that's really just nit picky. It's a good read.
Charles
Mar 02, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Got better as it went.

First chapter was rough, but the characters grew on me. It was original and I will read the next one.
Carole
Mar 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I wish there were more than 5 stars available! Fabulous book! It moves at a very good pace, then really picks up! I could not put it down - even to leave work(!!) - until I finished it!! I often intend to give a book stars, but fail to log on. I HAD to give this book it's well-deserved 5 stars :)
Speesh
May 23, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: adventure
I seem to have read what actually looks to be the follow-up to 'The Thieves of Heaven'; 'The Thieves of Faith.' I seem not to have liked that one. So why read this one? Maybe I thought, he can't possibly do it twice. Or maybe I just wanted to return to the scene of a crime, I don't know.

The plot? It does have one. He needs to steal some keys from The Vatican's absolutely most closely-guarded museum. But that's the easy bit, just the start of his troubles. As that happens about half way through t
ChocolatPony
Meine Meinung

Für mich als Fan von “Vatikan-Thrillern” und Büchern in denen es um Verschwörungstherorien, Kunst und Geschichte geht ist es schwer, die Goldstücke unter den vielen Veröffentlichungen heraus zu filtern. Große Hoffnungen habe ich daher in dieses Buch gesetzt, da es ebenso wie die Bücher von Dan Brown im Bastei Lübbe Verlag erschienen ist. Der Klappentext klang interessant und ich hatte die Hoffnung ein wenig “Oceans Eleven Feeling” zu bekommen, da der Protagonist ein Meisterdieb ist.
Jo Reason
Oct 12, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 4-star-reads
How far would you go to help save youre wifes life? This is a question that Michael doesnt even think about, for him there is no question, he simply does what he thinks is correct.

This is a great debut novel, published back in April of 2006, not the first book I have read from this author as they are all brilliant.

There is loads of fast paced action going on here, the backgrounds of all the main characters will get you into their lives and you will feel as if you actually know them. I am not s
Tom Bane
Apr 07, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Thieves of Heaven, is an old mass market paperback (2006) that delivers an edgy fusion of horror and thriller and is a well written debut novel, whilst the synopsis sounds a bit clichéd the execution purposefully avoids the ubiquitous knights templar or other hackneyed themes, like a lot of other works in this genre.

The writer manages to weave together a tortuous and twisty plot with great dialogue which will keep most readers glued to the story, and this is combined with a love affair betwe
kensou09
Without darkness there can be no light. Without death, no life.
Michael St. Pierre, an unusually moral and caring thief, travels illegally beyond his parole bonds to steal well-hidden religious icons and, as a consequence, save his wife's life from an enemy so shocking, so unthinkable beyond man's imagination, racing around the world and exploring the valleys of religion, heaven and hell....

The Thieves of Heaven is nothing short of brilliant. I am surprised that this is Doetsch's first novel. His
Rebecca
Dec 29, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-i-own
3.5

This was a great debut thriller; I quickly grew to love the characters I was supposed to love, and hate the ones I was supposed to hate. I felt the appropriate emotions at every turn of the book (okay, except for a couple of times when I rolled my eyes). Laughter! Fear! Suspense! What will our heroes do now?! Egad, they escaped again! I was very impressed at the levels of plot the author managed to build and to keep suspended, although I felt that by the end he was running a little thin.

Even
Judi
Feb 23, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another book by Richard Doetsch that I just couldn't put down. This is the 3rd book I have read by him and again I am just blown away with the way he writes and keeps me wanting to turn the pages.

Michael St. Pierre is a "master" thief and is good at his trade. He can figure puzzles out, knows how to get in and get out of a place with his prize. He married the love of his life - Mary and wants to get out of this profession, but he gets caught and sentenced to 10 years. Mary sticks with him and h
Tina
Oct 21, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sonia Cristina
Michael é um ex-ladrão, que se encontra em liberdade condicional e o seu amor pela esposa, Mary, não lhe permite voltar aos maus caminhos. Até que Mary descobre estar doente e, para pagar os tratamentos, Michael terá de voltar atrás na sua resolução e roubar umas chaves do Vaticano. Chaves estas que terão sido dadas por Deus a S. Pedro, sendo de grande valor.

O roubo tem, no entanto, repercussões terríveis, especialmente para a alma de Mary e Michael tem pela frente uma missão especial.

Este livro
Zézinha Rosado
Oct 19, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: lido-e-trocado
Este foi um daqueles livros que parecem uma seca no ínicio mas depois conseguem absorver-nos completamente na história.
Confesso que as primeiras 60 páginas foram confusas e ligeiramente aborrecidas e estive mesmo quase para colocá-lo de lado, mas depois a acção começa a desenrolar-se a um ritmo alucinante e não se consegue mesmo parar de ler.
Um thriller fantástico que aposto que deu um filme magnífico: até onde somos capazes de ir por amor?
O que somos capazes de fazer para salvarmos a pessoa qu
RumBelle
Feb 20, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: thriller
Years ago I had, unknowingly, read the third book in this series and, overall, I liked it. This book however was, to me, just plain silly. Firstly, you expect books likes these to be fast paced, to introduce the mystery, or object being hunted, early on, and for the plot to follow the historical, or artistic clues presented to a conclusion. The thriller portion of this book did not start until at least 100 pages in, by that time I was really getting bored. Also, the pace did not really pick up u ...more
Lisa Biegel
Jul 21, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: action-adventure
This was the first Doetsch that I picked up, and immediately upon finishing it I purchased another. The set of characters in this book (and they are carried through to other adventures) are both entertaining, likable and easy to connect with. The main characters are thieves (with some ethics), their harem of trusted allies and the family that means most to them. The adventure literally takes the reader all over the world to settings that are so well illustrated you don't even have to close your ...more
Jeanne
Jul 26, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This is a trilogy about Michael St. Pierre a reformed thief who gets back into the business to earn money for his wife's cancer treatment. He's supposed to steal 2 keys from a museum in the Vatican which he does easily and then frames someone else for it. The writing is not very good as when the author describes Mary St. Pierre: "Mary had always take care of herself, not out of vanity but for her husband. Whether it was staying fit, doing her hair, or fighting the desire to wear grungy sweats, M ...more
Helena
This is definitely one of the worst books I've ever read. It's so bad, so predictable and over the top, I just couldn't stop laughing all the time.
Doetsch makes any possible debutant's mistake, it's almost as if no redaction has been done on this book. And I just couldn't get Karl Lagerfeld out of my mind.

Unbelievable this book is even translated into several languages, including mine.
Nevertheless, I don't regret reading it, it was actually quite fun to read, but it was so totally NOT what I e
  • The Book of Q
  • The Evil Genius
  • The Burrowers Beneath
  • Silver (Ogmios Team Adventure #1)
  • Beowulf and the Critics (Medieval & Renaissance Texts & Studies, Vol. 248)
  • Daughter of God
  • Grantchester Grind (Porterhouse Blue, #2)
  • Breakheart Hill
  • Beyond the Blonde
  • No mires debajo de la cama
  • The Bells of Bicetre
  • The Midnight Love Feast
  • Gli uccelli di Bangkok
  • The Julian Secret (Lang Reilly #2)
  • Splintered Icon
  • Jungle Tales of Tarzan (Tarzan, #6)
  • Aranmanoth
  • Crónica del rey pasmado
The Thieves of Legend arrives November 27th.

Early Praise:
"The Thieves of Legend stole my breath with the sheer audacity of its storytelling, proving yet again that this series gets better with every installment. Bold, richly told, and rollicking with adventure, here is a thriller that demands to be read in one tension-wrought sitting. Count me a fan for life!"
James Rollins, New York Times Bests
More about Richard Doetsch...

Michael St. Pierre (4 books)
  • The Thieves Of Faith (Michael St. Pierre, #2)
  • The Thieves Of Darkness (Michael St. Pierre, #3)
  • The Thieves Of Legend (Michael St. Pierre, #4)
“We need something to believe in. Doesn't matter what. God, Buddha, Elvis. We all need faith. That's what gives us hope, hope there's something better out there, something to strive for. Hope is what drives you. Hope gets you out of bed, hoping you're going to make that big sale at work, hoping you get to make love to your wife at night. - Paul Busch” 4 likes
“You can't get by on hope. It doesn't pay the bills and it doesn't save lives.” 4 likes