Start by marking “Dragon's Milk (Dragon Chronicles, #1)” as Want to Read:
Dragon's Milk (Dragon Chronicles, #1)

Dragon's Milk

(Dragon Chronicles #1)

"You must go to the dragon. You must leave tonight."

Before she even hears the words, Kaeldra already knows what she must do. She must search out the mother dragon whose draclings have just hatched and somehow get some of her precious milk. It's the only way to save her foster-sister's life. Kaeldra would rather not go. It's much too terrifying, much too dangerous. But Kael
Published November 24th 2009 by Aladdin (first published October 1st 1989)

Eragon by Christopher PaoliniThe Hobbit, or There and Back Again by J.R.R. TolkienEldest by Christopher PaoliniBrisingr by Christopher PaoliniDragonflight by Anne McCaffrey
Dragons
1,236 books — 2,314 voters
Fire and Hemlock by Diana Wynne JonesThe Hollow Kingdom by Clare B. DunkleThe Darkangel by Meredith Ann PierceThe Perilous Gard by Elizabeth Marie PopeMairelon the Magician by Patricia C. Wrede
Hidden Gems: YA-Fantasy Novels
1,902 books — 4,211 voters

More lists with this book...

Start your review of Dragon's Milk (Dragon Chronicles, #1)
black lamb
Jan 21, 2013 rated it really liked it
This was one of my favourite books as a kid - I was a huge dragon nut, to the point where I refused to read Harry Potter because of something I read in the back summary of the first book that lead me to assume JK Rowling was "doing it wrong," so I turned my nose up at the whole series. Seriously. I recall this vividly. Kids say the darndest things.

Anyway, the Dragon Chronicles series was one of my favourites for a variety of reasons - I loved that the dragons were intelligent, misunderstood crea
Erin the Avid Reader ⚜BFF's with the Cheshire Cat⚜
This author lives right near me and I've had the pleasure of meeting her. Not only if she a lovely, intelligent lady, but her books are as well. I really enjoyed reading this trilogy when I was younger, and now that I'm older I still enjoy them as much as I did then (she has this writing style that gets to me).

Also, bonus points for having a female lead that's badass. Seriously, this is extremely rare in fiction. I think one of the only times I've encountered a badass female in fantasy was Howl'
Jojo
Sep 26, 2007 rated it it was amazing
When I read a book I don't enjoy, I have to read a couple books I know I'll love to get the bad taste of bad reading out of my head. It's usually a more recently discovered comfort read, but if it was a really bad book, I might feel compelled to reach deep into the past and draw out a very old favorite.

I read a very bad book the other day. This book is a very old favorite. I probably read it first when I was nine or ten, and it immediately became a much-read favorite(possibly just because it was
Ashley Cael
Jul 14, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Originally posted at Worlds Abound

Dragon's Milk starts with our introduction to Kaeldra, a young girl living in a small village on a farm with her adoptive family. Unfortunately for her, she is obviously the only Krag (a type of people that are tall and blond) in a village full of Elythians (smaller people with dark hair). When her younger sister, Lyf, contracts Vermilion fever Kaeldra's grandmother reveals to Kaeldra her heritage of dragon speaking and that the only way to save Lyf is to get mi
Wealhtheow
Sep 02, 2009 rated it liked it
Recommended to Wealhtheow by: Amelia
Shelves: ya, fantasy
I read this at least a dozen years ago. What I remember: there is a young girl (possibly adopted, but definitely less parentally favored) who tries to save her sick younger sister with doses of dragon's milk. To get the milk, she makes a bargain with a dragon. But after the mother dragon is killed, Kaeldra takes on the responsibility of the three baby dragons left behind. She and a would-be dragon slayer traverse a surprisingly well-thought-out fantasy world, trying to keep ahead of their enemie ...more
Cheryl Landmark
May 24, 2011 rated it liked it
Actual Rating: 3.5 stars

For the most part, I enjoyed this book, mainly because it had baby dragons in it. They were cute, cuddly and adorable...not what you would expect from dragons. Even their names were cute--Embyr, Pyro and Synge. Of course, there were also the more deadly, dangerous adult dragons as well, who weren't nearly as sweet and cuddly! Ms. Fletcher's descriptions of them, however, were vivid and compelling.

The dragon's milk in the title played only a small part in the beginning of
Alexis
Jan 03, 2012 rated it really liked it
This book truly is magical. The characters, plot, everything.

The book starts off with a good and steady pace. Kaeldra (first of all, let me apologize if I spell her name wrong. It's a mouthful.) soon learns that her foster sister has grown terribly ill. She must set off on an adventure she never would have believed before.

Let me just say that I LOVE THE DRAGONS. They're described beautifully! Everything about them is beautiful. Even their names. They're misunderstood creatures who honestly mea
Carol Riggs
Jul 08, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: young-adult, fantasy
The first in Susan Fletcher's series about dragons and their offspring, called "draclings." (A perfect word for them!) The dragons are fierce and the draclings are mischievous. Kaeldra is sucked into their world in order to save her younger sister from an illness. She comes to realize she can mind-speak to dragons, along with birds who are related to dragons. While other humans hasten to wipe out the dragons from the countryside, Kaeldra must race to save the draclings and their kind from annihi ...more
Branwen Sedai *of the Brown Ajah*
Apr 11, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fantasy fans, dragon fans
This was a beautifully written story about a young girl trying to keep three draclings (young dragons) safe. I love everything concerning dragons, so this book was wonderful for me! I just wish it had been a bit longer, I didn't want it to end!
Leanne
Oct 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
I can’t believe I missed this book in my younger days. It would’ve fit in perfectly during my Tamora Pierce/Robin McKinley binges. A strong heroine, twisting adventure, humor... this has everything that younger me really loved in a book. And older me really enjoyed returning to that kind of world. I can’t wait for the other three in the series!
Miranda H
Jul 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This was my favorite book when I was in 6th grade. It was wonderfully nostalgic to reread it, and to be equally moved by Fletcher's prose. I have not read any further into this series but I am curious ...
Samantha
Nights
Nov 07, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5

I read this book a long time ago, so my memory is kind of fuzzy on certain details (I've been reading a ton since I read this one, so that's why :P) but I did actually like this book.
It was well written, and the storyline made you want to keep reading.

WARNING, SPOILERS AHEAD

I mean, yes, it's good that the heroine lives and gets the guy and saves the day, but the thing is, there WAS no saving the day, all of the dragons, save for her chicks, died :/

And, yeah.
Aside from the ending, it
Alexis
Jan 17, 2011 rated it really liked it
This book truly is magical. The characters, plot, everything.

Angie
Feb 15, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy
Wow, I think it's been at least 15 years since I've last read this book. Back then, I had no idea it was going to be part of a series, but I remember loving it. So, now that the series is finished, I am going to read them all! I can't wait! This book is even better than I remember it, and even 15 years later I'm still a big fan of dragons. This book is great for both boys and girls, juveniles, tweens and teens; fantasy fans and dragon lovers. Action! Suspense! Adventure! Lots of walking summariz ...more
Julie
Apr 20, 2009 rated it really liked it
I read this when I was younger, so I decided to try it again. Wow, I was surprised by how much I still enjoyed this book! Sure, the vocabulary and word choice is a little simple, but this book was written for young adult readers. I definitely got in to it, and even though I've read it before, I couldn't put it down!
Angela
Nov 23, 2008 rated it it was amazing
This was the book that got me hooked on dragons. The author won the Young Readers' Choice award when I was in 4th grade and gave a presentation at my school about the research she did for the book. It's a great blend of different mythologies and includes some classic intrigue and coming-of-age storyline.
Bill Tillman
Sep 07, 2011 rated it really liked it
Ages 8-12 makes a good read, first of three.
Jeffrey House
May 16, 2013 rated it really liked it
This book grabbed me the first time I read it I was pestering my mother for a whole month or so until she finally read it. Good read. Loved the special clay ;-)
Kalee
Dec 03, 2010 rated it really liked it
Gosh, I haven't read this series since 6th grade, and I'm tempted to read it again! Very good :)
Cecilie
May 02, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2013, favourites, own, 2017
This book gives me all the feels! I read it when I was about 11 or 12 - I loved it then and I still love it now! It has the ability to make me cry for so many different reasons, and I just love that!
Awsomebookstoread342
Mar 26, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I loved it, and almost cried at the end.
Brigid ✩
i remember liking this book, but i read it like four years ago ... i remember that i hated the ending, but i won't give it away.
Taylor
May 28, 2009 rated it really liked it
I really like this book and there are other books in the series that I would like to read.
Annie (Putt)
Jul 02, 2018 rated it it was ok
Real rating: a generous 2.5 stars

Based on the description above for the book, I thought this book was going to be a super cool action-adventure where a girl has to raise these dragons or carry them to their distant cousins or something.

Instead, this book was gruesome and weird.

Firstly, the dragon babies were complete idiots.  That had absolutely no concept of survival or that humans were bad DESPITE BEING HUNTED.  One scene that I can remember clearly was when Kaeldra goes to a farm to try to st
Jul 07, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
cookiemonger
May 22, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: reviewed
This is one of those classic younger fantasy books that I don’t think holds well for readers outside that target audience. Having come to it new rather than nostalgic or “the right age” I feel like I missed out. In that respect, I’m glad that I have a copy for my children to enjoy and later be super nostalgic about.

Kaeldra reminded me of the majority of my reading at around seven to nine years old. She’s ostracised to a mild extent by her people and even family (mostly her stepmother) because sh
Kenya Starflight
I first read this book in junior high, and remember loving it as a thrilling adventure story involving dragons and a plucky heroine. Revisiting it as an adult, I find it's not quite as wonderful as I remembered. But it's still an enjoyable fantasy/adventure story, one that kids and young teens will enjoy and with a heroine that's strong and capable, if a little whiny and bland at times.

Kaeldra feels like an outsider in her foster family -- too tall, green-eyed, and constantly looked down on by h
Leigh
Mar 28, 2020 rated it it was ok
I would have liked this book more if I was younger. As it happens, I feel disappointed.

Now, to be fair, I have read MANY books about dragons. And MANY of those books are about girls and dragons. And while this book is a solid book about a girl and three baby dragons attempting to get them safe from dragon-slayers, it doesn't do anything really new.

Kaeldra, our heroine, is a very passive character. Most of the plot happens to her rather than giving her a proper decision time or even a thought p
Kait
Jul 27, 2018 rated it liked it
I recently read this book because I had an inkling I had read it when i was younger and wanted to confirm things (I had in fact (though I don't know when I first read it)).

The book itself was a fine middle grade book but it did not capture my imagination as others have. I think the book was good but it was not great. Even in children's literature I am used to a certain emotional progression and I felt this book had very abrupt decisions. Characters popped in and out very quickly and it was diffi
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
What's the Name o...: Scifi/Fantasy Girl runs away to live with dragons [s] 2 21 May 25, 2014 08:13PM

• Dragon's Blood (Pit Dragon Chronicles, #1)
  • Dealing with Dragons (Enchanted Forest Chronicles, #1)
  • Talking to Dragons (Enchanted Forest Chronicles, #4)
  • Dark Lord of Derkholm (Derkholm, #1)
  • Into the Land of the Unicorns (Unicorn Chronicles, #1)
  • Dragon's Bait
  • Crown Duel (Crown & Court, #1)
  • Alanna: The First Adventure (Song of the Lioness, #1)
  • Sandry's Book (Circle of Magic, #1)
  • Searching for Dragons (Enchanted Forest Chronicles, #2)
  • Dragon Slippers (Dragon Slippers, #1)
  • So You Want to Be a Wizard
  • Wolf Tower (Claidi Journals, #1)
  • Calling on Dragons (Enchanted Forest Chronicles, #3)
  • Mairelon the Magician (Mairelon, #1)
  • The Moorchild
  • Thirteenth Child (Frontier Magic, #1)
  • Dragonflight (Dragonriders of Pern, #1)
Librarian Note: There is more than one author in the GoodReads database with this name. See this thread for more information. Please do, however, be aware that this thread is no longer kept up to date.

Susan Fletcher is the author of a popular trilogy that includes the books Dragon's Milk, Flight of the Dragon Kyn, and Sign of the Dove, as well as of several other novels for young readers.

With a me

Dragon Chronicles (4 books)
  • Flight of the Dragon Kyn Dragon Chronicles, #2)
  • Sign of the Dove (Dragon Chronicles, #3)
  • Ancient, Strange, and Lovely (Dragon Chronicles, #4)