Start by marking “The Sunday Wife” as Want to Read:
The Sunday Wife

Cassandra King

The Sunday Wife

3.78  ·  Rating details ·  4,011 Ratings  ·  256 Reviews
Married for 20 years to the Reverend Benjamin Lynch, a handsome, ambitious minister of the prestigious Methodist church, Dean Lynch has never quite adjusted her temperament to the demands of the role of a Sunday wife. When her husband is assigned to a larger and more demanding community in the Florida panhandle, Dean becomes fast friends with Augusta Holderfield, a woman w ...more
Published July 23rd 2003 by Hyperion (first published January 1st 2002)

To ask other readers questions about The Sunday Wife, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Sunday Wife

Aug 23, 2007 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: romantics
I recieved this book as an advanced copy when I worked as a Bookseller and I just got around to reading it. It was not very engaging of a book and really just to damn fatalistic for me. I would never have purchased this book, and only picked it up b/c I am trying to thin out my library. If you like "chick-flick" movies, you might want to give this a try. It has the capacity of making some people cry and swoon, but it was just sorta 'eh' for me.
Pam
May 17, 2007 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I read this book for two reasons: 1) I was looking at another book in the library, and Henry, who was in his stroller, pulled this off the shelf and handed it to me; 2) When I took it from him, my instinct was to put it back on the shelf, but then I remembered that King is Pat Conroy's wife.
Pat Conroy, she ain't.
Don't get me wrong; this book is OK. But don't read it expecting the lyric prose and emotionally currency of Conroy. Wife tells the story of Dean Lynch, a Methodist minister's repressed
Roxanne
Oct 12, 2009 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I gave it an extra star because she was singing my life (badly) with her song. If you were never an up-and-coming minister's wife, don't bother. Painful and plentiful dialogue, not a nuance in a carload. Every thought, stubbed toe, angry look is spelled out with articles and pronouns. Written like a Harlequin, but with no redeeming lurid sex.
Ginny
May 18, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My favorite thing about this book was that even the best of friends didn't know everything about each other. I, too, was concerned about pigeon-holing the religious, but it was specific to certain people, not generalized.
Lori
Dec 29, 2007 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: NOONE
This book and author ticked me off. It's apparant King hates the church and all that it stands for and for that, I almost couldn't finish the book. I only did because I really wanted to know what ended up happening to the ministers wife. I really don't recommend this book to anyone.
Angeles
Jul 30, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It felt a little long and drawn out, but I loved the story within. It was predictable in some ways, but ... life is predictable in many ways, isn't it?

This isn't a "beach" read because it takes too long to get into it. And it's not an emotional read - I rarely felt anything more than curiosity about the next turn it would take.

I am not particularly fond of chicken-shit women like Dean, especially when they cow down to overbearing husbands. Since hers is a Reverend - and therefore revered by man
Maybama02 Carroll
Jul 04, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Church-going females of all ages!
Shelves: booksforthebeach
I found this when I was a junior in high school in my moms beach bag, read it, and LOVED it. So did all of her friends, all older than me by at least 25 years.
It is about a preacher's wife with a unique style of her own. She has a more liberal lifestyle than the people in her community, congregation, and even her husband expect her to lead.
The best part is that it is set in South Walton County beach area. Some scenes take places in Greyton Beach and Seaside. My great-grandmother was from Panam
Charlotte Ehney
Jul 22, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Reverend Ben Lynch and his wife Dean seem the perfect couple. Ben is a rising star within the Methodist Church. Dean teaches piano and supports her husband in his ministry. But outward appearances can be deceiving.

A move to Crystal Springs, Florida gives Dean the opportunity to meet new friends who encourage her to be herself. Along the way, Dean learns that she is not the only one who is less than satisfied with the reality of everyday life.

The Sunday Wife drew me in and I found myself up lat
Katy
Aug 01, 2008 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I thought this book was about something it wasn't really about. I couldn't get into the story and the characters really had no point to me. I didn't even get 50 pages in before i just had to put it down.
Nancy
Apr 07, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
2.5 the ending had me crying. Not sure if it was because of the way the story ended or I was just so happy to be done reading this book.
Danielle
Jul 31, 2008 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: just-fun, own
This could be good - a story about an unlikely friendship between two women, and hopefully the story of how one woman finds herself. On the other hand, it could suck.
Kathryn
I really enjoyed this story! As a southerner, I also appreciated the accents on audiobook and just the idea of being in the south.

We meet a woman named Dean, whom is married to a preacher of a prominent Methodist church. Dean doesn't really enjoy the preacher wife duties, and becomes friends with a woman whom her husband doesn't care for.

Over time, Dean becomes best friends with this woman and does a lot of things her husband doesn't approve of. In some ways, Dean is standing up for herself, a
Christy
Pretty good for a fist novel...I didn't know she was Pat Conroy's wife until I was halfway through and read the back cover.

Dean is a Methodist minister's wife and lives in Florida. The husband is condescending and always puts her down because of her background (she's a foster child). When they move to a new appointment, Dean hopes things will get better. They do when she meets and becomes friends with Augusta. The only trouble is that Augusta is a bit on the wild side which isn't great for a mi
Ashley
Sep 09, 2008 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Essentially a story about a woman who struggles with her identity as a preacher's wife, and the choices she makes as she attempts to rebel from her life/husband. I thought that this would be an interesting book, however I soon became tired of the main character's passive behavior. To be rather blunt, it is a typical oppressed woman struggling to overcome abusive/negligent husband- (typical lifetime movie) I had a hard time believing that these characters were actually real, and situations in the ...more
Peggy
Jul 23, 2010 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
When I realized that the author is Pat Conroy's wife, I have to admit that I automatically expected better writing - not fair to her, but so be it. It was a look at established religion from a minister's wife's point of view. However, it was very one-dimensional. All the church people were hypocritical, unyielding, prissy, intolerant, etc. There were none portrayed as true Chrisitans which is very unfair. The storyline was rather predictable and a little drawn out in places, but an ok read. She ...more
Kim
I love Pat Conroy and just discovered that his wife is also an author and thought I'd give one of her books a try. This one caught my attention because I've attended a Methodist congregation in the past and could easily picture a former pastor that I know (or a combination of a couple of them) in the role of Ben, and I have seen how many pastor wives have unrealistic expectations placed upon them and lose their identity. The ending was a bit predictable, but it still made for an enjoyable book.
Marika
Feb 04, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
It was an interesting read about the life of a minister's wife. You don't realize just how political a church can be, nor do you realize how the leader's wife will be scrutinized for just about everything she does. A woman shouldn't have to give up her soul or self for the sake of her husband's congregation.

The book had its fair share of sin and corruption, but it was good to read about a doormat, striving to become a door.
Donna Johnson
Jun 26, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Just finished reading this book. It was good, though a little long. It was funny, sad, and poignant all at the same time. Once again, I didn't like the way "church people" were portrayed. I have maet people like this, but most of the people I know at different churches are the exact opposite. I was surprised and sad at the way it ended, but it was a good read.
Sandy Thomas
Jul 16, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Sandy by: no one
Just picked this book up one day while browsing the book store. Did not realize it was written by Pat Conroy's wife and I did not read the back section first. So I had no pre-conceived ideas. I thought the book was entertaining, funny at times and also revealed the relationship between two women so different yet so similar in some respects. It is a good easy read for summer.
Leah
Jul 15, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: All my friends
THis was at the top of my list until I read My Sister's Keeper. I really loved it and would recommend it to anyone. It takes place on the Gulf Coast. The author is married to Pat Conroy who wrote Prince of Tides and Beach Music.
Gayle
Mar 19, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The novel is set in the South I know, and I'm pretty sure I've met these characters over the years. I always knew Methodists were the thinkers. I absolutely loved this book, though I was hesitant to patronize Stephen King's wife.
Jessica loeb
May 14, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: friends
Read this in hard back summer of 03 wonderful refreshing story regarding a preachers wife. Some shocking details that one would not expect from the Sunday wife.
Nancy
Apr 24, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is written by Pat Conroy's wife, Cassandra King. It is about a young preacher's wife who breaks free of his patriarichal ways. It's a great read.
Carolyn (in SC) C234D
Read this nine years ago, don’t remember details at all. What I wrote at the time: Nice, readable story. 500+ pages, but went pretty quickly. The main character, Dean (difficult to recognize this as a woman’s name), is a sympathetic character—from a poor “white trash” background, married 20 years to an ambitious minister who schedules their lovemaking. She seems too naive at times. Her new friendship with Augusta changes her life.
C.J. Hill
A turgid and self-absorbed account of an unhappy woman. There were the occasional twists and stylistic moments but not enough to alleviate the overall plot-driven story, and the ending was fairly obvious from early on.
Michelle
I started reading this book a couple of years ago... It starts out SLOW.... I've put it down and picked it back up a dozen times since and I finally plowed thru to the end. I found most of it mundane and boring, and any interesting portions felt forced and then were clipped.
Stephanie
Purging my bookshelf. Eh. It was okay.
Lynette Lark
Aug 24, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Guess which day of the week Mr. Pastor needs Mrs. Pastor.
Lori
Jul 22, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A book about a ministers wife in the United Methodist Church. The book has a lot of scandals but it doesn't all tie together at the end. The book was ok took along time to read.
  • Sweetwater Creek
  • Sweetgrass
  • Isle of Palms (Lowcountry Tales, #3)
  • The Florabama Ladies' Auxiliary and Sewing Circle
  • Where the River Runs
  • Mad Girls in Love
  • The Pat Conroy Cookbook: Recipes of My Life
  • Saving Grace
  • Twelve Times Blessed
  • Catching Genius
  • The Wisdom of Hair
  • The Three Miss Margarets (Miss Margarets #1)
  • Pieces of the Heart
CASSANDRA KING, who has been called “the Queen of Southern storytelling,” is the author of six novels, Making Waves, The Sunday Wife, The Same Sweet Girls, Queen of Broken Hearts, Moonrise, and The Same Sweet Girls' Guide to Life, as well as numerous short stories, essays and articles. Moonrise, her fifth novel, is set in Highlands, North Carolina. A native of Alabama, Cassandra resides in Beaufor ...more
More about Cassandra King...