Start by marking “Passing Strange (Generation Dead, #3)” as Want to Read:
Passing Strange (Generation Dead, #3)

Passing Strange

(Generation Dead #3)

Karen DeSonne is used to pretending to be something she's not. All her life, she's passed as a normal all-American teenager; with her friends, with her family, and at school. Passing cost her the love of her life. And now that Karen's dead, she's still passing this time, as "alive."
Meanwhile, Karen's dead friends have been fingered in a high-profile murder, causing a new
Published June 1st 2010 by Hyperion Book CH (first published January 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Passing Strange, please sign up.
Hil I think it's called "Stitches" - try checking the author profile :)…moreI think it's called "Stitches" - try checking the author profile :)(less)

Start your review of Passing Strange (Generation Dead, #3)
Marian
Dec 27, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: readit, 2010
Darkfallen
Feb 10, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-n-reviewed
So when I first started this book I was under the impression that it was the last book in the series. After reading it I was left searching to find out if there was another one. Need less to say I was able to find out that there might, and should be, a fouth and even a fifth book. That being said I give this book 4 stars. However if this book turns out to be the last and final book then it is more like a 3.

I only say this because for every question this book answers it leaves you asking 2 new on
Fangs for the Fantasy
Aug 30, 2012 rated it did not like it
It took me quite some time to get around to reading the third installment of the Generation Dead series and this largely because, Generation Dead and Kiss of Life were easily amongst the most failtastic books I have ever come across. Were it not for our commitment to finishing series once we start them, there is no way that I would have picked up this book.

Tommy is off in Washington trying to get legal rights for zombies who are living with the fall out for being framed for the death of Gutteri
Johanna
Mar 30, 2012 rated it really liked it
Passing Strange
(Generation Dead Book #3)
by Daniel Waters

Genre: Young Adult | Urban Fantasy | Paranormal Romance

Karen DeSonne is used to pretending to be something she’s not. All her life, she’s passed as a normal all-American teenager; with her friends, with her family, and at school. Passing cost her the love of her life. And now that Karen’s dead, she’s still passing – this time, as alive. Meanwhile, Karen’s dead friends have been fingered in a high-profile murder, causing a new round of anti-
Gabbicalabrese
Jul 10, 2011 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 9th-grade
I wanted to like this book a lot more than I did. The first two installments in the series was Okay, but this book really disappointed me.

Karen has always been one of my favorite characters. She's cute and fun and I always suspected that she had a thing for girls. When I discovered that this book would mostly be from her point of view, I was all like "Okay, I'm on board! Let's mix it up a little!" But as I began to read, I literally felt my eyelids closing. It took me nearly two hundred pages t
Jessica Saylor
Mar 07, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: books-i-own
REVIEW:
Passing Strange was a lot different than the other two books in the series. Mainly because the main character switches from Phoebe to a zombie that could pass as human. I am still not sure whether or not I think this hindered or helped the series.

For one, I loved Phoebe. Her activism and willingness to help everyone was one of the main reasons I enjoyed this series, and now that it has switched to the zombie (I am not saying the name for those of you who ignored the spoiler warning) you
Paula  Phillips
Jun 28, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Imagine turning up to school and all your friends who had died are now Zombies except you are not allowed to call them Zombies , they are the Living Impaired.
For those who haven't read Generation Dead and Kiss of Life (Book One and Two) then you may find Passing Strange more than a tad odd."Just A Warning". This is one of those series , where in order to follow the story you have to read the books in order.
Whereas the first two stories follow the main characters of Phoebe , Tommy and her friend
P.M.
Jun 18, 2010 rated it really liked it
This third book in the Generation Dead series centers on Karen DeSonne, one of the biotically different (zombies) who is passing as a beating heart (living). After she is shot by a policeman and mysteriously heals unlike the other zombies who return with the damage that caused their deaths, Karen decides to date murderer Pete Martinsburg to try to expose the truth about the anti-zombie hate groups. As the story progresses, we learn more about Karen's death as a suicide. She drowned herself becau ...more
Kat Evans Hernandez
Dec 12, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Ok, this book was a little different than the other 2. This one was told by "Zombie" Karen. She set out on a quest to expose Pete for the true piece of you-know-what that he is. She had to do some pretty outrageous stuff and make some people mad, but in the end she succeeded. Or did she? She also made some pretty incredible discoveries about herself. The ending of this book was not what I was expecting. It doesn't end in a cliff-hanger but it doesn't exactly end end. It leaves the door wide open ...more
Ballroomdancer
Jul 19, 2010 rated it liked it
Larissa
i cant wait for the third one to come out!!!!!! it needs to come out soon!!!!!!!!!!!
Michelle
May 21, 2012 rated it really liked it
Carl
Dec 29, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
“I don't want to die, I thought. Not again.”
― Daniel Waters, Passing Strange

Passing Strange is the third book in the Generation Dead series. Passing Strange offers the reader an entirely new perspective, following Karen rather than Phoebe. This allows the story to explore directly from the point of view of one of the "Zombies", offering an interesting and exciting insight into the emotional impact of returning from the dead and surviving in the world without the rights offered to those living.

O
gia
Oct 28, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ya
my girlfriend adores this series and i wanted to love it too because she took the concept of “telepathetic” and made it ours. she told me that karen was gay and that intrigued me, but the entire first twenty-five characters develops a fake heterosexual relationship with maybe dropping two or three hints about a past relationship with a girl. since this was written by a man, it put me off for that reason. not to mention the author writes karen so voyeuristically (he won’t let us forget she’s hot) ...more
Tiffany
Jun 28, 2019 rated it it was ok
Honestly, I found the writing all over the place in this novel. It’s been a while since I have read the other books in the series, so I had forgotten a lot of what happened, which could have made it more difficult to read. But everything was so jumbled and weird and I honestly don’t understand parts. Like why did Tak lose his shit on Adam? Why would Adam have known what was going on and why was it his fault? Because he knew Pete? Maybe...
It was just a little too all over the place for me.
Devon Munn
Jul 31, 2019 rated it liked it
While i am not the biggest fan of this series, it wasn't half bad. In the previous entry and this one Waters does make some pretty decent intrigue which makes me interested to see what will happen next. I also did like that we did get Takayuki's POV and he is one of the more memorable characters in this series. Although the ending was good in itself i will read the other two Generation Dead related books when i can ...more
Erika
May 22, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Karen DeSonne has tricked a lot of people lately. She works at the local Wild Thingz! store, until recently attended Oakvale High, and even develops a passing relationship with a boy. There’s a few problems, though. One, which boy is she dating? Two, why is she dating him? And three, Karen’s been dead for about four years. With her friend Tommy Williams lobbying in Washington D.C. for fair treatment for the Differently Biotic across America, Karen’s been helping Phoebe, Adam, and other Oakvale t ...more
Natia
May 02, 2019 rated it liked it
“Unfortunately, people have a tendency to respond more rapidly and more appropriately when frightened or angry than they do if shown care or concern. Fear and hate are stronger motivators than love. And, you’ll find that people respond more to feeling than fact.”
“...It isn’t how much you are loved, but how much you love that matters.”

Interesting parallels to the treatment of black people in Civil Rights Movement, except that that was real and this...is...not. Will read fourth book only because
Katherine Goodwin
Jul 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: paranormal
I loved this book, it's been a while since I read the first two but after a chapter or two I was able to really get into the book and remembered almost everyone. This book is mostly about Karen and I just loved her. ...more
Librarysteph
Dec 05, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: urban-fantasy
Passing Strange by Daniel Waters is a Generation Dead novel. While I think the book is most effective read within the series it can stand alone. I'm going to outline some major issues it deals with and then talk about the plot.

"I pretended I wasn't depressed. I pretended I wasn't in love--look where that got me. I pretended lots of other thing too, and now I'm pretending I'm alive."

Issues It Deals With

Depression:

"sometime almost feeling alive is worse than not feeling alive at all. When I was d
Elise
Jan 22, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Important thing to be noted is that I haven’t read any of the previous books in this series...
Terri
Mar 01, 2021 rated it liked it
Not my usual read, thought i'd try something different. It was OK, a reasonable story with some good & bad characters. Nothing to gory or ridiculous. A pleasant surprise ...more
Isolde Oneil
Mar 11, 2021 rated it it was amazing
The absolute strangest story I have ever read. Hands down the strangest. But it was compelling......unputdownable. Don’t know if I will seek out number 4.
Ariel
Jan 21, 2021 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2021
I love Karen and I’m going to miss her when I finish book 4.
Kristy Mills
Ugh, I finally finished this book. I had a really hard time getting interested in this book. I really didn't care to read from Karen's point of view. It was like it was from a different series or something. Phoebe, Adam and Tommy were barely in it. Tommy technically wasn't "present" at all. There were just updates about him every now and then, but nothing in depth. I would say I was at least a good 150 pages in the story until I started getting interested. When I finally did get interested I sta ...more
Emma
Jul 09, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: from-publisher
Karen DeSonne is good at fooling people. She's passed as the normal girl, the responsible daughter, and even the happy girl. The was before she killed herself.

That was before she came back.

Now, Karen is making the most of her second chance at life--or whatever it is when the dead start walking around.

Things go horribly wrong when her dead friends' planned social protest turns into a shootout after the zombies are accused of murder. Karen makes it away, but many other zombies in Oakvale are force
Krys

Last year I discovered Daniel Waters’ Generation Dead series. I, all but, devoured the first two books in quick succession. I was very entranced by the characters, the story, and the fight for zombie rights presented within.

The third book in Waters’ zombie young adult books, entitled Passing Strange, released this week. I got my copy from the bookstore and devoured it overnight. And, once again, the read proved fabulous.

The third book follows the most “human” of the differently biotic kids – K
Karin
Nov 20, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Let me start out by saying, you’ll want to read the first two books in this series before picking up PASSING STRANGE. If you don’t, you’ll be lost on the ins and outs of the plots and characters.
Generation Dead
Kiss of Life

The author, Daniel Waters, takes a different approach with PASSING STRANGE. The first two books focus on Phoebe and her struggles as she braves the world of high school in a world where some teens are coming back from the dead. Her heart is pulled in two different directions –
Jennifer Wardrip
Reviewed by Karin Librarian for TeensReadToo.com

Let me start out by saying you'll want to read the first two books in this series - GENERATION DEAD and KISS OF LIFE - before picking up PASSING STRANGE. If you don't, you'll be lost on the ins and outs of the plots and characters.

The author, Daniel Waters, takes a different approach to the series with PASSING STRANGE. The first two books focus on Phoebe and her struggles as she braves high school in a world where some teens are coming back from th
Nikki (Wicked Awesome Books)
Passing Strange, the third installment in the Generation Dead series, was not quite what I had expected. The majority of the novel was from Karen’s point of view, which carries a drastically different tone from the first two. The lack of appearances by the characters that were heavily featured in the last two novels was difficult to get used to at first.

For a zombie, Karen is quite the lively character. She’s feisty and strong, but she hides her incredibly vulnerable and insecure side from every
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
POV 4 25 Apr 22, 2012 05:08AM

• Cross My Heart, Hope to Die (The Lying Game, #5)
  • Never Have I Ever (The Lying Game, #2)
  • The Lying Game (The Lying Game, #1)
  • Seven Minutes in Heaven (The Lying Game, #6)
  • Hide and Seek (The Lying Game, #4)
  • Two Truths and a Lie (The Lying Game, #3)
  • Redeemed (House of Night, #12)
  • Mini Shopaholic (Shopaholic, #6)
  • Keeping the Moon
  • Lore Olympus, Season 1
  • Vanity and Vampyres (Manners and Monsters, #4)
  • Remote Control
  • Beautiful Demons (The Shadow Demons Saga #1)
  • The Supernaturalist
  • Shadow State
  • Hourglass (Evernight, #3)
  • Stargazer (Evernight, #2)
  • Hearts & Other Body Parts
See top shelves…

Generation Dead (4 books)
  • Generation Dead (Generation Dead, #1)
  • Kiss of Life (Generation Dead, #2)
  • My Best Friends Are Dead (Generation Dead, #4)