Start by marking “Passing Strange (Generation Dead, #3)” as Want to Read:
Passing Strange (Generation Dead, #3)

Passing Strange (Generation Dead #3)

3.88  ·  Rating details ·  2,360 Ratings  ·  158 Reviews
Karen DeSonne is used to pretending to be something she's not. All her life, she's passed as a normal all-American teenager; with her friends, with her family, and at school. Passing cost her the love of her life. And now that Karen's dead, she's still passing this time, as "alive."
Meanwhile, Karen's dead friends have been fingered in a high-profile murder, causing a new
Published June 1st 2010 by Hyperion Book CH (first published January 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Passing Strange, please sign up.
Imogen Artmanacatsoman I think it's called "Stitches" - try checking the author profile :)

Darkfallen
Feb 10, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-n-reviewed
So when I first started this book I was under the impression that it was the last book in the series. After reading it I was left searching to find out if there was another one. Need less to say I was able to find out that there might, and should be, a fouth and even a fifth book. That being said I give this book 4 stars. However if this book turns out to be the last and final book then it is more like a 3.

I only say this because for every question this book answers it leaves you asking 2 new on
Fangs for the Fantasy
Aug 30, 2012 rated it did not like it
It took me quite some time to get around to reading the third installment of the Generation Dead series and this largely because, Generation Dead and Kiss of Life were easily amongst the most failtastic books I have ever come across. Were it not for our commitment to finishing series once we start them, there is no way that I would have picked up this book.

Tommy is off in Washington trying to get legal rights for zombies who are living with the fall out for being framed for the death of Gutteri
Marian
Dec 27, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2010, readit
Evolet Belova
Nota: 10/10

¡Único como su autor!

Esta saga me rompe el corazón, me hace sentir mucho, me toca mi fibra sensible indudablemente. Extrañas Apariencias ha sido ¡brutal!

Esta tercera parte no me ha decepcionado nada, como ya me esperaba. Sigue siendo magnifica, impresionante, perfecta, impactante, emocionante, especial. Y Daniel, una vez más me ha hipnotizado. Me maravilla. Su escritura es tan fresca, y la historia esta tan bien escrita… vamos que se ha vuelto a superar. Es un escritor excelente.

Bueno
Johanna
Mar 30, 2012 rated it really liked it
Passing Strange
(Generation Dead Book #3)
by Daniel Waters

Genre: Young Adult | Urban Fantasy | Paranormal Romance

Karen DeSonne is used to pretending to be something she’s not. All her life, she’s passed as a normal all-American teenager; with her friends, with her family, and at school. Passing cost her the love of her life. And now that Karen’s dead, she’s still passing – this time, as alive. Meanwhile, Karen’s dead friends have been fingered in a high-profile murder, causing a new round of anti-
Jessica Saylor
Mar 07, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: books-i-own
REVIEW:
Passing Strange was a lot different than the other two books in the series. Mainly because the main character switches from Phoebe to a zombie that could pass as human. I am still not sure whether or not I think this hindered or helped the series.

For one, I loved Phoebe. Her activism and willingness to help everyone was one of the main reasons I enjoyed this series, and now that it has switched to the zombie (I am not saying the name for those of you who ignored the spoiler warning) you
Paula  Phillips
Jun 28, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Imagine turning up to school and all your friends who had died are now Zombies except you are not allowed to call them Zombies , they are the Living Impaired.
For those who haven't read Generation Dead and Kiss of Life (Book One and Two) then you may find Passing Strange more than a tad odd."Just A Warning". This is one of those series , where in order to follow the story you have to read the books in order.
Whereas the first two stories follow the main characters of Phoebe , Tommy and her friend
P.M.
Jun 18, 2010 rated it really liked it
This third book in the Generation Dead series centers on Karen DeSonne, one of the biotically different (zombies) who is passing as a beating heart (living). After she is shot by a policeman and mysteriously heals unlike the other zombies who return with the damage that caused their deaths, Karen decides to date murderer Pete Martinsburg to try to expose the truth about the anti-zombie hate groups. As the story progresses, we learn more about Karen's death as a suicide. She drowned herself becau ...more
Kat Evans Hernandez
Dec 12, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Ok, this book was a little different than the other 2. This one was told by "Zombie" Karen. She set out on a quest to expose Pete for the true piece of you-know-what that he is. She had to do some pretty outrageous stuff and make some people mad, but in the end she succeeded. Or did she? She also made some pretty incredible discoveries about herself. The ending of this book was not what I was expecting. It doesn't end in a cliff-hanger but it doesn't exactly end end. It leaves the door wide open ...more
Ballroomdancer
Jul 19, 2010 rated it liked it
Larissa
i cant wait for the third one to come out!!!!!! it needs to come out soon!!!!!!!!!!!
Michelle
May 21, 2012 rated it really liked it
Beatris
Dec 05, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Próximamente reseña completa en el blog.

Me ha sorprendido muchísimo. No me esperaba que me fuera a gustar tanto y, sin embargo, Daniel Waters ha logrado una mejora increíble desde Beso de vida hasta Extrañas apariencias.

La historia, contraria a su antecesor, ha avanzado con creces. Aborda muchos temas interesantes que han sido tratados con la suficiente profundidad, respeto y, al mismo tiempo, dureza, que merecen. El ritmo se ha mantenido siempre positivo, dejándome con ganas de más. Karen como
Erika
May 22, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Karen DeSonne has tricked a lot of people lately. She works at the local Wild Thingz! store, until recently attended Oakvale High, and even develops a passing relationship with a boy. There’s a few problems, though. One, which boy is she dating? Two, why is she dating him? And three, Karen’s been dead for about four years. With her friend Tommy Williams lobbying in Washington D.C. for fair treatment for the Differently Biotic across America, Karen’s been helping Phoebe, Adam, and other Oakvale t ...more
Katherine Goodwin
Jul 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: paranormal
I loved this book, it's been a while since I read the first two but after a chapter or two I was able to really get into the book and remembered almost everyone. This book is mostly about Karen and I just loved her.
Librarysteph
Dec 05, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: urban-fantasy
Passing Strange by Daniel Waters is a Generation Dead novel. While I think the book is most effective read within the series it can stand alone. I'm going to outline some major issues it deals with and then talk about the plot.

"I pretended I wasn't depressed. I pretended I wasn't in love--look where that got me. I pretended lots of other thing too, and now I'm pretending I'm alive."

Issues It Deals With

Depression:

"sometime almost feeling alive is worse than not feeling alive at all. When I was d
Kristy
Ugh, I finally finished this book. I had a really hard time getting interested in this book. I really didn't care to read from Karen's point of view. It was like it was from a different series or something. Phoebe, Adam and Tommy were barely in it. Tommy technically wasn't "present" at all. There were just updates about him every now and then, but nothing in depth. I would say I was at least a good 150 pages in the story until I started getting interested. When I finally did get interested I sta ...more
Emma (Miss Print)
Jul 09, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: from-publisher
Karen DeSonne is good at fooling people. She's passed as the normal girl, the responsible daughter, and even the happy girl. The was before she killed herself.

That was before she came back.

Now, Karen is making the most of her second chance at life--or whatever it is when the dead start walking around.

Things go horribly wrong when her dead friends' planned social protest turns into a shootout after the zombies are accused of murder. Karen makes it away, but many other zombies in Oakvale are force
Krys

Last year I discovered Daniel Waters’ Generation Dead series. I, all but, devoured the first two books in quick succession. I was very entranced by the characters, the story, and the fight for zombie rights presented within.

The third book in Waters’ zombie young adult books, entitled Passing Strange, released this week. I got my copy from the bookstore and devoured it overnight. And, once again, the read proved fabulous.

The third book follows the most “human” of the differently biotic kids – Kar
Karin
Nov 20, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Let me start out by saying, you’ll want to read the first two books in this series before picking up PASSING STRANGE. If you don’t, you’ll be lost on the ins and outs of the plots and characters.
Generation Dead
Kiss of Life

The author, Daniel Waters, takes a different approach with PASSING STRANGE. The first two books focus on Phoebe and her struggles as she braves the world of high school in a world where some teens are coming back from the dead. Her heart is pulled in two different directions –
Jennifer Wardrip
Reviewed by Karin Librarian for TeensReadToo.com

Let me start out by saying you'll want to read the first two books in this series - GENERATION DEAD and KISS OF LIFE - before picking up PASSING STRANGE. If you don't, you'll be lost on the ins and outs of the plots and characters.

The author, Daniel Waters, takes a different approach to the series with PASSING STRANGE. The first two books focus on Phoebe and her struggles as she braves high school in a world where some teens are coming back from th
Nikki (Wicked Awesome Books)
Passing Strange, the third installment in the Generation Dead series, was not quite what I had expected. The majority of the novel was from Karen’s point of view, which carries a drastically different tone from the first two. The lack of appearances by the characters that were heavily featured in the last two novels was difficult to get used to at first.

For a zombie, Karen is quite the lively character. She’s feisty and strong, but she hides her incredibly vulnerable and insecure side from every
Wrighty
Jul 19, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: for-review
When I started this series I thought it was going to be all about the typical teen drama in high school with some paranormal stuff tossed in. Boy was I wrong. This was the third book of the set and they all share the themes of prejudice and intolerance. The fact that the victims here are zombies is actually not the main idea and they aren't described in the typical zombie fashion. They aren't the ghouls of the horror movies and Michael Jackson videos. They do suffer various physical ailments and ...more
Gabbicalabrese
Jul 10, 2011 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 9th-grade
I wanted to like this book a lot more than I did. The first two installments in the series was Okay, but this book really disappointed me.

Karen has always been one of my favorite characters. She's cute and fun and I always suspected that she had a thing for girls. When I discovered that this book would mostly be from her point of view, I was all like "Okay, I'm on board! Let's mix it up a little!" But as I began to read, I literally felt my eyelids closing. It took me nearly two hundred pages t
Charlie
Jul 07, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2010, own
Passing Strange tells the story of Karen DeSonne. She was a normal teenager until one day, she kills herself. But her plan didn't go quiet as planned. She dies... but then comes back as a zombie.
And now more than ever, Karen is in serious trouble. After being accused of murder, her "living impaired" friends make a protest that quickly turns into a shootout. Karen manages to escape but all her other friends are forced into hiding. Then she makes the dangerous decision of passing... as a living pe
Nina
Aug 05, 2010 rated it it was amazing
When Leanee Briggs asked me to review Passing Strange I wondered if I should do this. I hadn’t read the first two books in the Generation Dead series and I wondered if I would get lost without the knowledge of them. I read a couple reviews that said that they read it without reading the first two books and that’s why I took the chance. I’m glad I did, because I found out that I loved Passing Strange.
Generation Dead and Kiss of Life are momentarily on my wish list, but I will be ordering them ver
Nancy The book junkie
Nancy The book junkie
Dec 04, 2011 rated it really liked it
Katie
Feb 27, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: books-i-own
Passing Strange, the third novel in the Generation Dead series, manages to continue the story of “differently biotic” teenagers (zombies) who try to live and survive in a world full of people who want them gone, from three completely new perspectives. While overwhelming and kind of falling flat, I think this book was very beneficial to the series. How can you write a series about racism against zombies from just the eyes of a human?

I loved Karen’s story. Her sneaking around and plotting to expos
Sophie
Apr 27, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: for-review
4.5 stars.

I’m not a huge zombie fan, but Daniel Waters’ Generation Dead series hits the nail on the head every time and Passing Strange was no exception.

Passing Strange is written in the perspective of Karen DeSonne. A not-so-central character in the series and a zombie, or differently biotic if we’re being completely PC. Unlike Adam, Karen’s narration is smooth and flowing and very alive. In fact, if I didn’t know she was dead, I wouldn’t have been able to tell, especially as she was passing as
POV 4 25 Apr 22, 2012 05:08AM
  • Undead Much (Megan Berry, #2)
  • Zombie Queen of Newbury High
  • Memory: Stadt der Träume
  • He's After Me
  • Never Slow Dance with a Zombie
  • In My Father's Den
  • I Kissed a Zombie, and I Liked It
  • Blood on My Hands (Thrillogy, #2)
  • Destroying Avalon
  • You Don't Even Know
  • By Any Other Name
  • The Darkening (The Divided Realms, #2)
  • Zombie Blondes
  • The Convent
  • The Imaginary World of...
  • Truth and Dare: 20 Tales of Heartbreak and Happiness
  • Reign Check (Demon Princess #2)
  • Oh My Goth

Generation Dead (4 books)
  • Generation Dead (Generation Dead, #1)
  • Kiss of Life (Generation Dead, #2)
  • My Best Friends Are Dead (Generation Dead, #4)

Young Adult Deals

• Bright Smoke, Cold Fire (Bright Smoke, Cold Fire, #1)
  • The Gold-Son
  • How to Say I Love You Out Loud
  • The Lost Girls of Camp Forevermore
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Scat
  • Chomp
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Nyxia (The Nyxia Triad, #1)
  • I See London, I See France
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Fifth of March: A Story of the Boston Massacre (Great Episodes)
    $8.99 $2.99
  • Starfish
  • Olive's Ocean
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Rebel Wing (Rebel Wing #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Snow Like Ashes (Snow Like Ashes, #1)
  • Little Monsters
  • The Thickety: A Path Begins
    $6.24 $1.99
  • Lost Voices
    $5.99 $2.99
  • This Savage Song (Monsters of Verity, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • 13 Little Blue Envelopes (Little Blue Envelope, #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Isle of Blood and Stone
  • Train I Ride
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Haven (War of the Princes, #1)
  • The Mysterious Benedict Society
    $7.99 $2.99
  • The Immortal Circus (Cirque des Immortels, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Howl's Moving Castle (Howl's Moving Castle, #1)
  • Greyhound
  • Annie on My Mind
    $9.99 $1.20
  • Secret of the Sirens (The Companions Quartet, #1)
  • The Siren
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Dorothy Must Die (Dorothy Must Die #1)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Beautiful Darkness (Caster Chronicles, #2)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Now I Rise (The Conqueror's Saga #2)
  • Into the Dim
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Dumplin' (Dumplin', #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Curse (Blur Trilogy #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Fury (Blur Trilogy #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Crash (Crash, #1)
    $4.24 $1.99
  • Blur  (Blur Trilogy #1)
  • Ungifted
  • Julie of the Wolves
  • Storm (Elemental, #1)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Dreamfall (Dreamfall #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Things We Know by Heart
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Imitation (Clone Chronicles #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Space Between Heartbeats (Betwixt #1)
  • The Secret of a Heart Note
  • Genesis
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Old Yeller
    $6.99 $1.99
  • After the Game (The Field Party, #3)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • And I Darken (The Conqueror's Saga, #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Ticker
  • How To Keep Rolling After a Fall
  • No Love Allowed
    $7.09 $2.99
  • The Concealed (Lakewood, #1)
“I don't want to die, I thought. Not again.” 11 likes