Start by marking “Still Missing” as Want to Read:

3.71  ·  Rating details ·  830 Ratings  ·  118 Reviews

Un enfant disparaît sans laisser de traces. Pour sa mère, le plus terrible commence : l'attente... Bouleversant, haletant, un roman puissant qui nous plonge dans la tête d'une mère confrontée à la plus douloureuse, la plus insupportable des injustices.

Inspiré de faits réels, un roman culte aux États-Unis, à redécouvrir. Bouleversante, haletante, l'histoire d'une mère confr

Published May 28th 2005 by HarperCollins Publishers

To ask other readers questions about Still Missing, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Still Missing

Jane
“It may be true that one loss helps to prepare for the next, at least in developing a certain rueful sense of humour about things you’re too old to cry about. There’s plenty of blather, some of it true, about turning pain into growth, using one blow to teach you resilience and to make you ready for the shock of the next one. But the greater truth is that life is not something you can go into training for. There was nothing in life Susan Selky could have done to prepare for the breathtaking impac ...more
Ali
Jun 03, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Originally published in 1981, this novel, now re-issued by Persephone, is a relatively modern offering from them. It is however a fantastically paced, hard to put down novel. The story is a simple one – One day Susan’s six year old son Alex goes missing. This is the story of what is to be the mother of a child who is missing. The accusations, the press attention, the false hopes, the bereavement like existence she lives. It is a poignant and gripping account. Susan’s desperation and frustrations ...more
Suanne Laqueur
Sep 24, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Beth Gutcheon turned out to be one of my favorite authors in 2000. Still Missing held me in its grips right until the last paragraph. It was a perfect blend of crime thriller, mystery and real-life solid emotion.

To see if it was a fluke, I went back for seconds and read Gutcheon's novel Domestic Pleasures which was every bit as good.
Iyah
Jan 08, 2011 rated it it was ok
Alex Selky, age 6 and 3/4 walks himself to school alone for the last 6 months, after all it was just a mere 2 blocks away. He's a smart kid who knows not to dawdle, not to talk to strangers and keeps a dime that he can use for calls during an emergency. But then on the hot bright morning of May 15' 1980, he bids his mom goodbye, turned the corner and never made it to school.

Susan Selky is a literature college professor. She'd been divorced for 3 months and is living with her only son Alex. May
Patrick
Oct 30, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
At first it seems a little strange that Persephone Books, a publisher dedicated to producing handsome new editions of neglected female authors from the early twentieth century, should choose to reprint ‘Still Missing’ by Beth Gutcheon. Originally released in 1981, the book was highly successful, and not long after its release it was made into a film (‘Without a Trace’). But perhaps it slipped out of the public consciousness even while its themes filtered through to the mainstream. At least in th ...more
Cath
Mar 18, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
One day, the worst that can happen to a mother happens. Alex Selky, Susan’s son, disappears when he is on his way to school. Nobody has seen him after he turned around the corner of the block.
How is this possible?
Months of stress and sorrow follow. Where is Alex? And is he still alive?
People start calling Susan to give her their opinion and advice. The media is also interested in the story and wants to pay a lot for a TV-show about the case.
Meanwhile, police and volunteers start looking for the
Sam
Mar 17, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Alex Selky, going on seven, kisses his mother goodbye and sets off for his school that's only two blocks away. He never gets there. His mother is desperate to find him and begins a vigil that lasts for days, then weeks, then months and never gives up hope that he'll be found alive.

This book originally came out in the early 80's but had been out of print in Britain for some time before Persephone books published it again. I wasn't sure how I would get on with reading it as my daughters are a simi
Rosemary
Oct 08, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: persephone
Six-year-old Alex Selky disappears on his way to school and nobody knows until late afternoon when he doesn't come home. The scene is set by the shattering moment when his mother realises she has gone through a normal day while some nightmare has been happening to him, and from there the book goes on to focus mostly on his mother and her struggle to get people to keep looking for him after the first media interest wears off.

I thought that Beth Gutcheon did a wonderful job of portraying a woman i
Johanna Gail Tongco
Mar 04, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
Talking about books which showed the horror a mother felt when losing her child, this book is a good example of it. Indeed this one is thrilling. It can also be compared to Flight Plan which Jodie Foster starred, but this one is quite different.

When Susan's son, Alex, was lost, the whole town helped her out in finding the almost seven year old kid. Everyone then felt helpless, but as a mother who dearly loves her son, she never gave up.
Michele
Jun 23, 2010 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2010
" Persephone Books publishes forgotten fiction and non- fiction by unjustly neglected authors"
Now the clue should have been in the original publication date of 1981; but silly me I was lulled into a false sense of security by the Persephone imprint. This is a relatively entertaining whodunnit but nothing more. Feel somewhat aggrieved I must say. A bit like picking up a Virago classic and finding it to be chick lit.Humph.
Just not in the same class as Saplings,or Little Boy Lost.
Connie
Jul 18, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An absolutely beautifully written, heart wrenching story. Wonderful.
Sarah Ryan
Sep 26, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"You could hardly get to age thirty-four without learning something about loss." And with that one line, I was in. I found this in the library, a plain grey unassuming cover and intriguing excerpt on the sleeve. I feel like I've stumbled on a secret everyone was in on but me. I read it in two days. What makes it more intriguing is that it's based on the true story of the author's neighbours, with conflicting reports of how she got her information.
Erin Ellis
Aug 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites, fiction
Wow, I BURNED through this book. Gutcheon is brilliant at creating an unrelenting, vivid suspense that lasts through the whole thing. But even though it's about a missing persons case, and the plot centers on the case, it isn't strictly a mystery novel. You keep reading because of the case, but the most beautiful parts are about Susan's emotional journey. It's honestly stunning.
Emma
Oct 25, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Nicola
Oct 03, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A mesmerising portrayal of loss, grief and hope. Gutcheon's gift is conveying so much depth and observation of human spirit and behaviour in such sparse prose.
Dr.J.G.
Feb 05, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It is hard to know where to begin and what to say about this story, and a very well written book at that about a true story, of a child that went missing one fine school day after his mother saw him off - the seven year old went to school walking since it was close. The story is about the mother who went through every possible stage one can imagine under the circumstances except she did not give up, did not lose courage and strength and fortitude and hope, hope that amounted to almost a determin ...more
Cath
Mar 03, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
How is this possible?
Months of stress and sorrow follow. Where is Alex? And is he still alive?
Meanwhile, police and volunteers start looking for the
Laurel-Rain
On an ordinary day in May 1980, six-year-old Alex Selky walks two short blocks toward his school in a comfortable and gentrified Boston neighborhood...and then disappears, without a trace.

His mother, Susan Selky, a university professor, awaits his return home from school that afternoon, only to discover when she calls another mother that he never arrived there at all.

A massive search begins, and the subsequent weeks are consumed with media coverage, a police presence, TV shows seeking to intervi
Kevin
Feb 19, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Kevin by: Work Colleague
WHAT IS THIS BOOK ABOUT?

Still Missing is about a six year old boy who goes missing one morning as he walks to school. The story focuses mainly on the mother's grief in losing her son and possibly realizing that she may never see him again.

WHAT ARE THE MAIN THEMES?

I felt that the main theme that runs through this book is that of 'hope'. Susan, the mother, never gives up hope of seeing her son again, regardless of what other people (neighbours, friends etc) say and feel.

WHAT I ENJOYED THE

Durdles
Mar 08, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's funny when hear a book being talked about on the radio as a classic page-turner that everyone has read; that it's been out 30 years; and you've never heard of it. Eventually I tracked down the Persephone issue in Bath. If you were not hooked after page 2 then don't read on. This story describes the aftermath to the disappearance of a six year old Boston boy who vanishes, seemingly into thin air, on his way to school. The emotional torture of the guilt-ridden parents and the frantic searchin ...more
Golem
Dec 21, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Although I read this in just two days and it is undoubtedly a page-turner, I came away feeling the story is disingenuous somehow. It was published in 1981, two years after the disappearance of six-year old Etan Patz in New York which was a major news event at the time and surely Gutcheon cannot have failed to have been aware of the search for Patz (who has never been found and was declared legally dead in 2001). Although Still Missing is not an account of the Patz story it clearly describes very ...more
Yellowoasis
Dec 17, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2010
Wow, this book lived up to the often-used but rarely true description ‘unputdownable’. A child goes missing. The story follows the mother over the coming hours, weeks, months as the investigation gears into action and then, inevitably, winds down. The mother’s agony goes through several different iterations. There are false leads, the usual creeps and weirdos turn up to offer their assistance. Everyone is affected, including friends and neighbours who come to resent the intrusion into their priv ...more
Siobhan Pratt
Apr 10, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I recently finished reading Still Missing, and suspect I shall be reeling with emotions for a long while yet. I don't want to give away any of the plot, which is perfectly constructed, leaves you constantly intrigued as to how the story may end, and is never predictable. Susan's six year old son disappears on his way to school, and we experience her obvious anguish and also unrelenting faith in finding him and her need to keep the search for him alive. The story explores her relationship with he ...more
Apr 30, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: not to parents (hard for aunts!)
Shelves: fiction
I first learned about this book while looking through the Persephone catalog. It sounded interesting, and I was intrigued by the fact that it had originally been published as late as 1981 (what Persephone reissues tends to be older than that). I ended up finding a secondhand copy of the 1982 Dell paperback elsewhere -- it has a terrible cover.

Anyway.

Susan watches her six-year-old son start the two-block walk to school one morning. Alex turns at the corner and waves... and then disappears. The b
Michelle