Start by marking “Rickie and Henri” as Want to Read:
Rickie and Henri

Rickie and Henri

3.88  ·  Rating details ·  56 Ratings  ·  7 Reviews
Rickie the chimpanzee loved living with her mother in the rain forests of Central Africa, warm and safe. Until the day the hunters came, and took Rickie away to sell at a Congelese market. Luckily, she was resuced by a kind man who adopted Rickie and cared for her. Best of all, he provided an unexpected friend in his dog Henri. This true story of friendship is heart-warmin
Published August 31st 2004 by Minedition (first published 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Rickie and Henri, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Rickie and Henri

Peacegal
Oct 10, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: humane-education
This is a beautifully-illustrated and touching true story that brings home the cost of the bushmeat and exotic pet trades.

Rickie is orphaned and injured when hunters shoot her mother and steal her away for illegal sale in a Congolese animal market. A brave Congolese wildlife advocate rescues her and takes her home to his orphaned chimpanzee sanctuary, where Rickie gradually bonds with a shaggy mutt named Henri. The two become inseparable.

Rickie and Henri would best be suited to children a bit
Sara
Jan 11, 2016 rated it liked it
Jane Goodall, famed anthropologist and primatologist, tells the true story of Rickie, a baby chimpanzee stolen from his home to be sold on the black market. Rickie is intercepted by a conservationist and is re-homed and rehabilitated. During Rickie's transitional time from the rehab home to a wildlife refuge, he befriends a friendly dog, Henri, and they form a lasting friendship.

'Rickie and Henri' is beautifully illustrated and compellingly written. Themes include friendship, nature, and the imp
Alice
Aug 19, 2015 rated it really liked it
I pulled this book from our Library shelf because of some minor spine damage. I looked at the cover and decided to read it before sending it to the discard or reorder pile. Well, I am happy to say with some love and tape I am keeping this one. Noe particularly well written, but a great story. A true story of an orphan chimpanzee and a dog. It almost got me a little misty eyed..but I might be allergies um yeah right! :-)
Edward Creter
Dec 18, 2012 rated it it was ok
This is a sad book, the way the original novel Bambi by Felix Salten is sad bordering on traumatizing and may not be suitable for all kids. Why would kids subject themselves to chimp deaths and animal cruelty. I question the judgment of Jane Goodall in letting the book be in print 'cos a lotta kids'll be sad.
Heather
Feb 25, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: from-library, nature
Almost 5 - The look on my daughter's face during the first couple of pages was one of horror and I have to say I kept thinking I sure hope this ends better than it starts. A sad yet interesting read. I do wish there was a bit more story to the interaction between chimpanzee and dog but otherwise certainly worth a read.
Heidi
Jun 22, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: dharma-school
I had the kids help me find what were Bodhisattva actions, of compassion, kindness, protectiveness
Mary Richard
May 19, 2017
Traci Bold
A true feel good book leaving you with warm fuzzy feelings. Jane Goodall has had so many more experiences with nature than most humans will ever dream of.

She brings us this sweet story of an unlikely friendship born out of necessity. The beginning is heartbreaking which is what makes this book so important to read. The rest of the story unfolds naturally ending with a special note from author Jane Goodall.

Illustrated by Alan Marks, published by Penguin Young Readers Group.

#PB #nature #chimpanz
Maryam
Jun 09, 2007
rated it it was ok
Apr 09, 2013
For the Australian academic and mystery writer, see Professor Jane R. Goodall.

Dame Jane Morris Goodall, DBE (born Valerie Jane Morris-Goodall), is a British primatologist, ethologist, anthropologist, and UN Messenger of Peace. Considered to be the world's foremost expert on chimpanzees, Goodall is best known for her 45-year study of social and family interactions of wild chimpanzees in Gombe Strea
More about Jane Goodall...