Start by marking “Spider-Man: Return of the Black Cat” as Want to Read:
Spider-Man: Return of the Black Cat

Spider-Man: Return of the Black Cat

(Amazing Spider-Man (1999) (Collected Editions) #31)

"WHO WAS BEN REILLY?" begins here Bursting out of the pages of this year's Amazing Spider-Man Annual, Raptor is back for revenge against the man he claims killed his family - Ben Reilly, the clone of Spider-Man Unfortunately, the only person alive that fits Ben's description is Peter Parker As this super powered psycho with a thirst for vengeance targets Peter, his family, ...more
Published January 27th 2010 by Marvel (first published 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Spider-Man, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Spider-Man

Start your review of Spider-Man: Return of the Black Cat
Jeff
Apr 30, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: comix
Peter Parker doesn’t have the best of luck with women (or anything else, for that matter). His marriage to Mary Jane was voided by Mephisto, he couldn’t save Gwen Stacy, he currently rooms with the incredibly short-tempered Michele Gonzales, so guess who turns up, Ms.-My-Powers-Induce-Bad-Luck-for-Anyone-Nearby, the Black Cat. She’s extra flirty and Joe Kelly milks the situation for maximum laughs. Kelly has a good ear for the well placed Spider-quip. Kudos.

Then Marc Guggenheim turns up and thro
Scott
Apr 13, 2018 rated it liked it
Some 'bait-and-switch' stuff going on here - the Black Cat involvement in only the first third or so of the book, but it was my favorite part. (She and Spidey generate heat - that cover! - like DC's Batman / Catwoman pairing.) The opening scene portraying Peter Parker's women trouble was hilarious!

The closing chapter, also good, is a Spider-Man / Deadpool romp through the streets of Manhattan.

However, the remaining section (probably about half the book, or so it seemed) was a long-winded, slow-m
RG
Apr 21, 2018 rated it liked it
This was up and down. Nearly gave up.
Wing Kee
Oct 26, 2018 rated it liked it
A fun little Black Cat tale and a really long drawn Reilly tale with a hiring villain.

World: The art was alorjg, nothing really special. I would have wanted a more expressive artist for the Black Cat issues but oh well. The Raptor issues were rather bland also. World building was aight, there was a little in the Black Cat story with Bennett but nothing of real substance. What I did like is the potential drama moving her back to New York does for MJ and Peter. I'm not a big fan of Ben Reilly and
Blindzider
Sep 20, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: comics
The first two parter was good: I really like Joe Kelly's take on Spider-Man and I really like McKone's version of Spider-Man. Wish we could get more of that pairing. There's a couple really funny parts in there.

The rest, meh. Never cared for anything in the clone saga. Slott tries to at least wrap these characters up but it bores me.

The last story is a team-up with Deadpool and Spider-Man, written by Kelly. While there is a funny battle via "your momma" jokes, it's really just filler and also r
Andy
Feb 21, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: spider-man, comics
Another solid offering from the consistently entertaining (if not always perfect) recent Spider-Man run. The art on the Black Cat story is great and I usually like Felicia as a character but in this it's like they've forgotten all the recent Black Cat (particularly Evil the Men Do) character development. I guess we can chalk this 'Spidey's hot and Pete's not' attitude reversion up to the OMD mix up. Shame. I preferred the increased maturity in their relationship. Pete seems a little out of chara ...more
Mike
Feb 15, 2013 rated it really liked it
Kelly makes the crazy antics with Black Cat into a near-slapstick of goofy banter and sheer fun. These scenes always make me wish I'd met my own Felicia (and well, I have - but that's beside the point of my teenage fantasies being strummed by this memory fodder).

The Raptor/Reilly story is good and a little tense but ultimately another adventure we get to play along with (and another series of events that would require more suitable explanations than our hero ever provides).

Good art as usual, but
John
May 15, 2012 rated it really liked it
Anytime Spidey and Black Cat (easily my favorite romantic interest of Spidey's) get together, it's guaranteed to be good. My favorite Brand New Day issues so far.
McKinlay Dennis
this volume was more about Peter's clones than Black Cat, so i don't know why it's named that. anyway, solid read.
Rocky Sunico
Jul 08, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics, spider-man
Spider-Man and the Black Cat have always been an interesting pairing not unlike Batman and Catwoman, in a manner of speaking. There's a definite sense of attraction between the two but for the Black Cat, it largely remains on the alter-ego side of things and rarely translates well into non-costumed real life. This book brings them back into contact with one another while still respecting the Brand New Day reality that she no longer knows his secret identity. That allows for some interesting stor ...more
Roman Colombo
Jul 31, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: marvel
Sometimes I like having multiple stories in one trade. The Black Cat story was definitely the best one. And next volume starts the Gauntlet which I am excited for.
Ethan
Mar 22, 2016 rated it really liked it
First off: I never read the Clone Saga. Probably never will. Therefore, the parts of this book regarding it did not bother me. In fact, I found it rather interesting, adding new elements to the Spider-Man character that I had not seen previously. As a relatively new addition to the Marvel Comic's universe(es) readers, I always enjoy learning more about these characters.

I may be a bit bias, however, for Spider-Man is my favorite comic book character of all-time, and one of (if not my absolute) my
Sean
Feb 25, 2013 rated it it was ok
I was a big fan of the original relationship between Spider-Man and the Black Cat. The dynamics involved, mostly Felicia being almost disgusted by a maskless Spider-Man, were something I don't think I'd ever seen in comics before. Here we have them reuniting and sadly most of Peter's actions seem out of character. Yes, I understand that Miss Hardy is supposed to be ridiculously sexy but most the time Peter acts like he's fourteen around her here after years of acting normal. Then you have the cl ...more
Doug Rusley
So yeah, the cover is a bit of a fake-out: Black Cat is only around for the first 2 issues of this 7-issue set. Unless you want to devour every last Post-Brand-New-Day story, you can probably just read that part along with, if you're down for it, the last issue where Spidey has to deal with Deadpool in all his Deadpool-glory. The rest of it is all about bringing back elements of the Clone Saga, specifically the character of Kane who's been kicking it in a lab somewhere letting his hair and beard ...more
Matt
Jun 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Collects Amazing Spider-Man issues #606-611 and material from Web of Spider-Man issue #1

This was a great collection for me, as a fan of the 1990's Spider-Man story known as "The Clone Saga." A large portion of this collection is dedicated to telling a Ben Reilly flashback story. This flashback story ties into Peter Parker's present day because an old nemesis of Reilly has tracked Peter down (thinking that he is actually his clone, Ben Reilly). This old enemy is out for revenge, and it looks like
Khairul Hezry
Feb 12, 2010 rated it it was ok
Shelves: graphic-novels
The Spidey Clone saga was what made me drop this title all those years ago and reading this book just brought back so many bad memories. A clone plot is the comic book version of the evil twin brother plot. Both are lame. The issue that featured Deadpool was a bit of a saving grace, however. It promises to lead to Spidey's big event this year: the Gauntlet (which is just his rogues gallery going up against him one by one to soften him up while the real mastermind, Mrs. Kraven the Hunter, prepare ...more
Geonessary
May 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Awesome book! Three great stories.

The first a Black Cat ark, that's fun and unexpected. Black Cats a way better story than anything with MJ...

Second, bring out the clones. I never read the clone saga, but I'm familiar with it to a degree. Thought it was intriguing to see how Ben Reilly affected Peter and Kaine is a great villain.

Last, just one issue and maybe my favorite, Deadpool. The two characters that really got me into comics fighting it out. Very fun and had a point that I'm sure will be
Eric Mikols
Apr 09, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: spider-man
I give take or leave Black Cat. She's too obvious of a Catwoman clone but she works well as a Spider-Man character nonetheless. The Ben Reilly/Kaine stuff was decent but not great, even though it helped explain who the heck some of these characters are to me. The four stars, however, is earned by the last, single issue that features Deadpool. Sure, he's just giving Spidey a hard time, but Kelly writes Wade Wilson the way I remember from his early solo series.
Matt Shaqfan
Jun 16, 2010 rated it it was ok
nothing much in this one. Keeping up, so I don't miss any big plot points in the Spidey-saga, but except for the Deadpool/Spidey team-up issue, this one was wahtever. Plus J. Scott Campbell-- DRAW A FUCKING BACKGROUND YOU LAZY PIECE OF SHIT. Pisses me off when hot-shot artists just do covers and stuff like that. Just sayin'.
Talk Comix
Aug 26, 2014 rated it it was ok
No storyline worth reading. A rehash of 90's spidey with no substance or build. I think this book is a low point for spidey fans with the quality at an all time low the only thing saving this book from a 1 star was half decent art and a fun joe kelly spidey deadpool crossover. Not worth the read unless your a dedicated spidey fan.
Alex
Dec 22, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: gave-up-on
This was pretty disappointing. Considering Black Cat in the title, I was expecting to see her for more than two issues. In addition, the art and writing changed between those two titles in a rather disappointing disjointed fashion. The rest of the stories were tedious and I skipped to Deadpool. The second star is for Deadpool and the only reason to pick this book up.
Shannon Appelcline
Jul 15, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: comics, comics-marvel
The initial two-parter offers up a fun return for the Black Cat [6/10]. The Kaine story is an OK reintroduction to the character [6]. The Spider-Clone story that takes up most of the volume is a fun return to some themes of yesteryear [6.5]. However, the Deadpool story that ends things is dull [4].
Alyssa Greatbanks
For being a book called "Return of the Black Cat", it really should have had more than just one issue with her in it.

It wasn't drawn bad, but if they were only going to have one issue with the Black Cat, they should have named the book something else. :/
Jessica
May 29, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics
I read the Joe Kelly issues and loved the way he deals with adult relationships enough to pass his issues around to friends.
Ernest
Jul 26, 2011 rated it it was ok
Despite solid artwork, my lack of familiarity with the current Spider-Man stories means that I failed to fully appreciate this volume as much as I possibly could have.
Allen Setzer
Mar 17, 2012 rated it it was ok
The only good parts of this collection is the stuff with Black Cat but the best is with Deadpool.
Thomas
Jul 30, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Black Cat and Deadpool stories by Kelly are hilarious. The Raptor story is decent. Overall a good collection here.
Lisa Costa
Jan 17, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Love
Tony
Mar 23, 2014 rated it liked it
The return of the Black Cat means the return of eye-rolling cheesecake art of the Black Cat but the writing here is light and entertaining until the rather dull Ben Reilly stuff happens.
Stuart
Jul 28, 2014 rated it it was ok
A Deadpool story made up for the fact Black Cat is in only two issues. Rest was pretty disappointing.

• Spider-Man: The Gauntlet, Vol. 1: Electro & Sandman
  • Dead Man Logan, Vol. 1: Sins of the Father
  • Dead Man Logan, Vol. 2: Welcome Back, Logan
  • Alias, Vol. 2: Come Home
  • Fear Itself

Amazing Spider-Man (1999) (Collected Editions) (1 - 10 of 50 books)
  • Spider-Man: The Next Chapter Vol. 1