Start by marking “The Smallest Snowflake” as Want to Read:
The Smallest Snowflake

The Smallest Snowflake

The smallest snowflake longs for a home, and while her snowflake friends journey to far off destinations she finds her place in life, too, as the inspiration for an artist. When Spring finally comes the smallest snowflake knows that she has fulfilled her destiny.
Published October 1st 2009 by NorthSouth Books (first published 2009)

To ask other readers questions about The Smallest Snowflake, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Smallest Snowflake

Start your review of The Smallest Snowflake
Abigail
Dec 19, 2018 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Bernadette Watts Fans
Although I wouldn't say that I was easily seduced by glitter, I'm afraid that I'm not as indifferent as I sometimes feel I should be, either. So it is that, passing my public library's "Winter" display this past weekend, and spying this new (relatively speaking) Bernadette Watts picture-book, with its sparkly cover, I was tempted. Recognizing her name, from the various adaptations of Hans Christian Andersen's fairy-tales that she has illustrated - some of which I enjoyed, and some of which I did ...more
Kathryn
Jan 11, 2011 rated it really liked it
My friend Lisa Vegan made me chuckle and nod when I read her review, "This is sort of a weird book. It’s about a sentient snowflake who decides where she wants to fall, and then welcomes her own 'death' because the start of spring is so lovely." It certainly was a bit of an odd conclusion to the story; in a way, it's a lovely idea and could perhaps be helpful for children dealing with loss. But, really, the book didn't seem to be about that for most of the time--it is more about belonging, ...more
Lisa Vegan
Jan 08, 2011 rated it liked it
Recommended to Lisa by: Abigail A.
This is sort of a weird book. It’s about a sentient snowflake who decides where she wants to fall, and then welcomes her own “death” because the start of spring is so lovely.

Now, I think that the paintings are lovely, and the reader will learn a tiny amount about places with ice and snow, and about winter and spring weather, if they’re not too young and they believe in all those sentient snowflakes, that is.

I liked the paintings much better than the story, but maybe I shouldn’t have taken it
Khai
Dec 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A new favorite! The art in this book is full of magic - of the seasons, of home, of beautiful places, of transformation. And the story is beautiful and soft, magical in its own way as we follow the journey of the Smallest Snowflake as she searches for a special place all her own to land.
Rebecca
Jan 17, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Beautiful Illustrations and a sweet story about finding home.
April Rogers
Dec 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A sweet book with beautiful pictures.
Brittany
Sep 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This was an interesting concept. You go inside a snowstorm from the perspective of the individual snowflakes. From forming a storm to settling onto wherever they land. My daughter has been wishing for the return of winter (her favorite season) so she enjoyed this one. The illustrations were nice.
Merri Platt
Oct 04, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This is a story about a new snowflake that is trying to find her place in the world. This smallest snowflake has just started her life. She is falling down from the sky and following all the other snowflakes. She watches all the older snowflakes and they seem to know where they are going. This small snowflake doesn't know where her place is in the world so she continues to fly around in the sky. She spends many day in the sky and she finally comes to a small village in Wales where she sees an ...more
T Crockett
Jan 27, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: picture-books
The illustrations are the star of this book. They are detailed (probably pen and watercolor) and beautiful. The kids and I enjoyed talking about what we saw on the page.

The text was less engaging. I wasn't drawn into wondering where the snowflake would find a home, and the kids kept asking questions about the pictures (over my reading), always a sign of what they find more interesting.
Heidi-Marie
If snow has to melt, that's the sweetest and least sad way it could be told, I suppose. Not bad. Not the most amazing thing. Illustrations were my favorite part. Not really what I'm looking for in storytime, though it could work as an extra in display in a winter or spring theme.
Aerin
Dec 28, 2010 rated it really liked it
sparkly cover, sweet tale, beautiful illustrations, abrupt ending
PWRL
Jan 23, 2013 marked it as to-read
Shelves: 2013-new
O
Pam Cipkowski
Mar 16, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kids-books
Cute. Liked the drawings of the birds and animals.
April
Feb 02, 2010 added it
Shelves: childrens-lit
Such a Sweet story-perfect for Spring!
Kati
Jan 15, 2010 rated it it was ok
I thought it ended weird. In fact I turned the page not realizing I had just read the ending ...
Emily

• The Night Before Christmas
  • Snow Music
  • David Goes to School
  • A Lion for Lewis
  • The Grim Grotto (A Series of Unfortunate Events, #11)
  • The Penultimate Peril (A Series of Unfortunate Events, #12)
  • The Flower Alphabet Book
  • Chicken Story Time
  • Over in the Meadow
  • The Elves and the Shoemaker
  • The End (A Series of Unfortunate Events, #13)
  • Frog and Toad are Friends (Frog and Toad, #1)
  • The Twins' Blanket