Start by marking “The Lucky One” as Want to Read:
The Lucky One

The Lucky One

4.11  ·  Rating details ·  301,843 Ratings  ·  9,759 Reviews
When U.S. Marine Logan Thibault finds a photograph of a smiling young woman half-buried in the dirt during his third tour of duty in Iraq, his first instinct is to toss it aside. Instead, he brings it back to the base for someone to claim, but when no one does, he finds himself always carrying the photo in his pocket. Soon Thibault experiences a sudden streak of luck—winni ...more
Published September 30th 2008 by Grand Central Publishing (first published 2008)

To ask other readers questions about The Lucky One, please sign up.
Julie Lopez my favorite part of the book is when Beth starts to realize that Thibault and Ben get along and I also love the bond between Beth and Ben.

Kate
Nov 05, 2009 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Damn, I really can't understand why I even started reading Sparks in the first place. This book was so full of stereotypes, it was awful. I mean, the guy was, of course, handsome, attractive, great with kids, a good craftsman, and surprise - surprise, he even could play the piano! The woman was beautiful, sensitive, a great mum, a talented cook, bla bla bla... And Sparks doesn't even make the effort to change the setting. Not once! It's always near or in Wilmington, North Carolina. *yawn*
It had
Lola
May 22, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Nicholas Sparks fans, contemporary + romance + drama fans
description

''I'm not sure what I should put for an address. Like I said, I just got to town and I'm staying at the Holiday Motor Court. I could also use my mom's mailing address in Colorado. Which would you prefer?''
''Colorado?''
''Yeah, I know. Kind of far from here.''
''What brought you to Hampton?''
You, he thought. I came to find you.

description

Nicholas Sparks has his reputation of writing the most popular and some quite beautiful/original love stories. Of course, The Lucky One was no exception. There were some ele
Buggy
~ROMANTIC, SUSPENSEFUL AND ULTIMATELY HARD TO PUT DOWN~

Opening Line:"Deputy Keith Clayton hadn't heard them approach, and up close, he didn't like the looks of them any more then he had the first time he'd seen them."

THE LUCKY ONE is another great read from Nicholas Sparks. Here we are given a story with a slightly darker edge and far more suspense then his usual soppy romance. Dog lovers and fans of The Guardian in particular will appreciate this engaging romantic suspense.

One of the great (or
Barb
Nov 22, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Barb by: Megan Anderson
A typical NS book, which seems like a gender-reversal of "Message in a Bottle". It was an easy escape read, and the characters are all well developed. I actually hated reading the chapters on Clayton! What a creep! I love Zeus, who had a great handle on character reading!

Almost feel that NS is becoming a bit Danielle Steeleish in his writing...formula, token sex, surprise of who died/lived.

All in all...not a bad book for a cold weekend!
Aishu Rehman
If you like Nicolas Sparks, this book is one of his best. Personally, when it comes to one of his stories, I always read the ending first before buying his books. Sure, it's a spoiler but he has stung me too many times by killing off a main character, turning a wonderful love story into a rediculous tragedy that leaves the reader grieving instead of rejoicing. There is enough pain in real life without inflicting it needlessly in a sappy book. I read to escape and find some joy in fantasy. This o ...more
Tiffeny
Apr 11, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I picked up this book because I'd seen the movie preview and thought that I should really read it before watching it. Problem is, I have a real love/hate relationship with Nicholas Sparks. I'm a happy ending kind of a girl. I read books to escape the sadness, drama and sometimes craziness of life. I swear, every other time I read a Sparks book I swear I'll never read another. I don't like it when people find true love and then one of them dies or does something stupid so they're ripped apart for ...more
Ashwood (애쉬 우드).
“She was struck by the simple truth that sometimes the most ordinary things could be made extraordinary, simply by doing them with the right ppl.”

I really liked this one, simply a lovable great story, not perfect there were a few things that irked me about the story but besides that it was a great read.
AMEERA
this book not for me cuz i'm not emotional person or search for romantic stories , i'm tough girl :D
Christy
Nicholas Sparks is not a good writer.

His dialogue is completely flat, and it doesn't help when he throws in comments such as "he liked her wit" when nothing at all witty had been said. I can only imagine he is working toward a certain word count when he describes every step of making tacos and homemade ice cream. I've heard that he disdains the label of romance author for himself, but most romance authors I read can write circles around him.

Inés Izal
Mar 31, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014
Creo que Nicholas Sparks es mi autor favorito sin yo misma saberlo. Mi relación con él es bastante tensa, porque lo odio con todo mi corazón por esos finales tan crueles en sus libros, pero lo amo con toda mi alma por todas las historias de amor tan maravillosas que ha creado.
Y tengo que decirlo o explotaré: ¡Por fin un final feliz!

Jason Lilly
I should have known what I was getting myself into.

Okay... Let me begin with some positives so I can avoid being hunted down and beaten by the army of Nicholas Sparks fans.

Sparks is an excellent storyteller and a master of the romantic motif. He is good at taking a timeless story element and putting a new spin on it. He is also good with pacing, using smooth and lyrical words during romantic moments and quick and terse words in the more suspenseful moments.

However...

There are few things more irr
Ivy
Sep 06, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone who needs to kill some time on a flight.
This wasn't one of my absolute favorites--just okay. I have read several Nicholas Sparks novels and I put this one in the category of "True Believer" and its sequel, "At First Sight".

By now the author pretty much has a formula which he follows in most of his books: always set it his home state of North Carolina, there is always a storm where the plot twists and/or reaches its climax, someone usually dies, and the couples always fall in love and end up in bed--usually, boring, uninteresting sex e
Amanda
May 22, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Whenever I go to read a Nicholas Sparks book my first (and usually only) question to anyone who has read it is "Am I going to cry?" I ask this because in many of Spark's novels the main character dies in the end often in a tragic way. Since, I now want fun books with happy endings, it breaks my heart when this happens.

However, Sparks has such a rich and inviting writing style that even with these reoccurring tragic endings, I can't help but fall in love with any and all of his books. The charac
Hiba Arrame
Jun 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Thank you Nicholas Sparks for the heart attack you almost caused me with that ending! I was this close ( ) to lose my mind over Logan.
It's a beautiful story, beautifully written, and very enjoyable, it evokes faith, luck, destiny, all gathered in a former marine's life, and his journey to accomplish what had started in his life because of a photograph.
IDK why! But I always find Sparks' stories so enjoyable, like they keep one's mind away from his own crap, and make it wander away in the era and
Kelly Moran
Sep 04, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: my-reviews
I found The Lucky One, by Nicholas Sparks, captivating. Nicholas Sparks is a #1 New York Times best-selling author with over fifty million copies of his books in print worldwide and translated into over forty languages. Other titles include: The Rescue, A Bend in the Road, The Guardian, The Wedding, True Believer, At First Sight, Dear John, The Choice, and Three Weeks With My Brother. Nicholas Sparks has also had four of his novels adapted into major motion pictures including: Message in a Bottl ...more
Anna Marie
I read it because I can't watch a movie without reading the book, first. What I want to know is, HOW this man got so popular? He can't write for crap. Utterly unbelievable. First of all, we have Elizabeth, who is a single mom who is a teacher (think lesson plans, grading papers, gone all day, etc) who takes her son to chess/baseball/violin, who also cares for her grandmother (who had a stroke), AND co-runs a kennel/obedience school out of her home AND is carting her son back and fort to visitati ...more
AnnaMay
Dec 20, 2008 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Okay, so this book followed my reading of The Story of Edgar Sawtelle. After that great work of literature, anything would pale, probably. Maybe I'm not being fair, but I really just didn't care for Sparks' latest. I've only read a few of his books, but already I'm seeing a pattern and I found myself getting bored and saying, "Awe, come on," throughout. The plot was too predictable, the characters were too generic, and I guess I just wasn't in to the whole storyline. The creepy cop ex-husband di ...more
Katie
Feb 02, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ashley
Nov 23, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Started off a little slow, maybe because he spent so much time introducing the characters. It just got a little old and before I knew it I was 1/2 way through the book and not much had happened. But good thing you don't read the beginning last.

I did like the story, I'm a sap for romance, I loved the character Logan.

On a side note I couldn't get past some of the writing. For being such a famous author I would think they would use spell check or something before they published it. (Ex. finally was
Ashley Drumm
May 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I always enjoy re-reading this book
Norah Una Sumner
“It was their secret, a secret meant for just the two of them, and she'd never been able to imagine how it would sound coming from someone else. But, somehow, Logan made it sound just right.”

Such a great book.I really liked the whole concept of this book,it's very interesting.Logan is such an amazing character,he's pretty much my new fictional crush.But I do agree that he should have told Elizabeth about the photo as soon as he met her,that would make both his and her life so much easier.Eliza
CL
I'm not going to lie: I read this book because I wanted to watch the film and I wanted to watch the film because Zac Efron is in it and I wanted to stare at Zac Efron for 90 minutes because I am shallow.

I also wanted to read the book because I'm fascinated by the fact that so many of Nicholas Sparks' novels have been turned into films. Is he really that good or just he have an extraordinary agent?

Well, I enjoyed this book. Between reading the blurb and seeing the trailer for the film, I knew exa
Ninoska Goris
Mar 14, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Una historia de como el destino nos sorprende y nos guía hacia el amor verdadero.
☽ TheBibliotheque
“In the blink of an eye, something happens by chance - when you least expect it - sets you on a course that you never planned, into a future you never imagined.”

Ah, Mr. Sparks. Crowned king of the romance, emperor of the love stories that hit you where it hurts the most. Allow me to be frank here, my dear Nicholas, I am slightly disappointed.

The Lucky One has everything I need in a book for me to be moved and emotionally kicked (always in a good way, of course). But there was something missing,
Shannon
I was waiting for a flight, desperate for reading material, so I picked this up at the airport book stall. I read the summary on the back cover and decided it sounded better than a James Patterson book, but definitely wasn't going to set my world on fire. Wow, was I right.

About a third of the way through, I was shaking my head at the complete and utter CHEESINESS of the story. So, I checked the front flap for the author's name and other works to make a mental note to avoid them in the future. I
Karen
The famous Nicholas Sparks creates yet another amazing tale of lovers.
Driven by luck and determination, Logan Thibult is in a search for a woman in a photograph that he found serving war in iraq. The photograph saved his life numerous times and with little persuasion by his friend Victor, he set on a journey to find the woman and repay the debt he felt he owed.
Elizabeth, a woman who spent the rest of her life after highschool struggling through life as a single mother, is overwhelmed with her li
Rodaw
Mar 26, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Všechny knihy od pana Sparkse mám prostě strašně ráda :-) A u Talismanu to bylo také tak. Je to velice jemný, milý, citlivý a romantický příběh, který se krásně čte. Celkově Sparksův styl psaní mám moc ráda, jeho knihy se mi čtou velice dobře!
V téhle knížce se mi líbila přítomnost pejsků (Zoro - pejsek hlavního hrdiny - je prostě skvělý :-) ). Mohla bych tedy říct, že bych tuhle knihu doporučila i milovníkům pejsků...
Příběh není nikterak náročný, asi je i lehce předvídatelný, ale Sparks umí lám
kari
Aug 18, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2009
This is the first Nicholas Sparks book I've read and I'll look for another. This book grabbed me from the first chapter, clearly written and intriguing characters and, even though I had a pretty good idea of where the plot was going and didn't really have any surprises, I still really enjoyed the story and how it was told.
Logan Thiebault is a great character and I really wanted him to find his way and his HEA. Without too much detail, his experiences as a marine and how that affected his life we
CC
Mar 17, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
The cheese factor is pretty high for this one, people.

When Logan Thibault, a Marine serving in Iraq, finds a picture of a pretty woman in the sand, his friend Vincent considers it to be Thibault's good luck charm. Thibault doesn't, but whatever. Once out of the Marines, Thibault tracks down Elizabeth -- the woman in the photo -- by walking -- yes, walking -- from his Colorado home to a small North Carolina town. There, he finds out she's a single mother. And her ex-husband, a deputy, is an assh
Laura V.
3.5/5

Siempre hay una primera vez para todo.

Me gustó. Sip. No shame.

Logan, encuentra esa fotografía en la arena y su suerte cambia completamente. Aunque no está seguro de lo que significa, la conserva con él durante cinco años. Cuando se encuentra más perdido de lo que hubiera deseado, decide ir en su busca. En parte le debe su vida, y en parte siente que algo debe hacerse.

Esta parte es MUY extraña. MUY MUY MUY. Muy raro, muy perturbador, muy escalofriante. Un tipo que no conoces de nada, que du
Trinity Schnor 1 1 Apr 12, 2018 10:36AM
HMSA Summer Reading: Book Review: The Lucky One 1 1 Oct 31, 2017 11:30AM
Book Review: The Lucky One 1 2 Oct 31, 2017 11:22AM
What's the Name o...: SOLVED. Soldier story, finding the girl in the photograph [s] 6 217 Sep 10, 2016 07:48PM
  • Ever After (Lost Love, #2)
  • Nicholas Sparks
  • The Gift
  • Light of the Moon
  • The Vow
  • Sundays at Tiffany's
  • Angel Falls
  • 6 Rainier Drive (Cedar Cove, #6)
  • Happy Birthday
  • The Italian's Rightful Bride
  • The Last Summer (of You and Me)
  • How to Deal

Nicholas Sparks is one of the world’s most beloved storytellers. All of his books have been New York Times bestsellers, with over 105 million copies sold worldwide, in more than 50 languages, including over 75 million copies in the United States alone.

Sparks wrote one of his best-known stories, The Notebook, over a period of six months at age 28. It was published in 1996 and he followed with the n

Romance Deals

• Party Girl
    $4.49 $1.99
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Paris (International Guy #1)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • Shame on Him (Fool Me Once, #3)
    $4.99 $0.99
  • Out of Breath (Breathing, #3)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Off Base (Out of Uniform, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Barely Breathing (Breathing, #2)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Reason to Breathe (Breathing, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Second Chance Summer (Cedar Ridge, #1)
    $5.99 $2.99
  • Married By Morning (The Hathaways, #4)
  • Playing It Safe
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Beneath Copper Falls (Rock Harbor #6)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Tight
    $4.99 $2.49
  • A Year of Weddings: Twelve Love Stories (A Year of Weddings Novella)
    $12.99 $3.99
  • The Curse Keepers (The Curse Keepers #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Feral Sins (The Phoenix Pack, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • How to Tame a Beast in Seven Days (The Embraced #1)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • Shame on You (Fool Me Once, #1)
    $4.99 $0.99
  • Shame on Me (Fool Me Once, #2)
    $4.99 $0.99
  • The Curse Breakers (The Curse Keepers #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Dirty Exes (Liars, Inc., #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Shadow's Edge (Night Prowler, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • A Taste of Magic (Magic, # 1)
  • Where the Road Takes Me
    $3.99 $1.99
  • New York (International Guy #2)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • Sin With Me (Bad Habit, #3)
  • The Memory of You
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Wicked Cravings (The Phoenix Pack, #2)
  • Good Guys Love Dogs
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Camino Beach
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Embrace the Night (Vampire Romance #1)
  • The Shell Seekers
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Wicked White (Wicked White Series Book 1)
  • All the Little Lights
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Carnal Secrets (The Phoenix Pack, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Scream For Me: A Novel of the Night Hunter (For Me, #3)
  • When Life Happened
    $3.99 $1.49
  • Cheater (Curious Liaisons, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Cheater's Regret (Curious Liaisons, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Hunting Grounds (Hidden Sins, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Consequence of Revenge (Consequence, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Consequence of Seduction (Consequence #3)
  • The Story of Us
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Consequence of Loving Colton (Consequence, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • No More Masquerade (Secrets of Stone Series Book 2)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Dunaway's Crossing
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Twisted Truths (Blood Brothers, #3)
    $5.99 $2.99
  • The Curse Defiers (The Curse Keepers, #3)
  • The Roommate 'dis'Agreement
    $2.99 $1.49
  • The Rules of Regret
  • Cry Baby
  • Matchmaking for Beginners
    $5.99 $2.99
  • Hollywood Dirt (Hollywood Dirt, #1)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Threat of Danger (Mission Recovery, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Copenhagen (International Guy #3)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • Don't Hex with Texas (Enchanted, Inc., #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Wild Hunger (The Phoenix Pack, #7)
  • Archer's Voice
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Wicked Intentions (Maiden Lane, #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • The Billionaire's Touch (The Sinclairs, #3)
    $4.99 $0.99
  • No Ordinary Billionaire (The Sinclairs, #1)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • The Forbidden Billionaire (The Sinclairs, #2)
    $4.99 $0.99
  • No Turning Back (Kathleen Turner #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Surviving Girls (Hidden Sins, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Dirt on Ninth Grave (Charley Davidson, #9)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • Dark Instincts (The Phoenix Pack, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Every Little Kiss (Sequoia Lake, #2)
    $4.99 $0.99
  • The Girls of Mischief Bay (Mischief Bay, #1)
  • Happy All the Time
    $17.99 $1.99
  • Devil's Cut (The Bourbon Kings, #3)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Atheists Who Kneel and Pray
  • Hold On My Heart
    $4.49 $0.99
  • One Day
    $6.99 $2.99
  • Wicked Love (Wicked White #3)
  • Water from My Heart
    $9.99 $3.99
“She was struck by the simple truth that sometimes the most ordinary things could be made extraordinary, simply by doing them with the right people...” 1240 likes
“He was the toast to her butter.” 661 likes