Start by marking “The Lucky One” as Want to Read:
The Lucky One

The Lucky One

4.11  ·  Rating details ·  307,838 ratings  ·  9,835 reviews
When U.S. Marine Logan Thibault finds a photograph of a smiling young woman half-buried in the dirt during his third tour of duty in Iraq, his first instinct is to toss it aside. Instead, he brings it back to the base for someone to claim, but when no one does, he finds himself always carrying the photo in his pocket. Soon Thibault experiences a sudden streak of luck—winni ...more
Published September 30th 2008 by Grand Central Publishing (first published 2008)

To ask other readers questions about The Lucky One, please sign up.
Julie Lopez my favorite part of the book is when Beth starts to realize that Thibault and Ben get along and I also love the bond between Beth and Ben.

·  307,838 ratings  ·  9,835 reviews

Kate
Nov 05, 2009 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Damn, I really can't understand why I even started reading Sparks in the first place. This book was so full of stereotypes, it was awful. I mean, the guy was, of course, handsome, attractive, great with kids, a good craftsman, and surprise - surprise, he even could play the piano! The woman was beautiful, sensitive, a great mum, a talented cook, bla bla bla... And Sparks doesn't even make the effort to change the setting. Not once! It's always near or in Wilmington, North Carolina. *yawn*
It had
Lola
May 22, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Nicholas Sparks fans, contemporary + romance + drama fans
description

''I'm not sure what I should put for an address. Like I said, I just got to town and I'm staying at the Holiday Motor Court. I could also use my mom's mailing address in Colorado. Which would you prefer?''
''Colorado?''
''Yeah, I know. Kind of far from here.''
''What brought you to Hampton?''
You, he thought. I came to find you.

description

Nicholas Sparks has his reputation of writing the most popular and some quite beautiful/original love stories. Of course, The Lucky One was no exception. There were some ele
Aishu Rehman
If you like Nicolas Sparks, this book is one of his best. Personally, when it comes to one of his stories, I always read the ending first before buying his books. Sure, it's a spoiler but he has stung me too many times by killing off a main character, turning a wonderful love story into a rediculous tragedy that leaves the reader grieving instead of rejoicing. There is enough pain in real life without inflicting it needlessly in a sappy book. I read to escape and find some joy in fantasy. This o ...more
Buggy
~ROMANTIC, SUSPENSEFUL AND ULTIMATELY HARD TO PUT DOWN~

Opening Line:"Deputy Keith Clayton hadn't heard them approach, and up close, he didn't like the looks of them any more then he had the first time he'd seen them."

THE LUCKY ONE is another great read from Nicholas Sparks. Here we are given a story with a slightly darker edge and far more suspense then his usual soppy romance. Dog lovers and fans of The Guardian in particular will appreciate this engaging romantic suspense.

One of the great (or
Barb
Nov 22, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Barb by: Megan Anderson
A typical NS book, which seems like a gender-reversal of "Message in a Bottle". It was an easy escape read, and the characters are all well developed. I actually hated reading the chapters on Clayton! What a creep! I love Zeus, who had a great handle on character reading!

Almost feel that NS is becoming a bit Danielle Steeleish in his writing...formula, token sex, surprise of who died/lived.

All in all...not a bad book for a cold weekend!
Tiffeny
Apr 11, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I picked up this book because I'd seen the movie preview and thought that I should really read it before watching it. Problem is, I have a real love/hate relationship with Nicholas Sparks. I'm a happy ending kind of a girl. I read books to escape the sadness, drama and sometimes craziness of life. I swear, every other time I read a Sparks book I swear I'll never read another. I don't like it when people find true love and then one of them dies or does something stupid so they're ripped apart for ...more
Ashwood (애쉬 우드).
“She was struck by the simple truth that sometimes the most ordinary things could be made extraordinary, simply by doing them with the right ppl.”

I really liked this one, simply a lovable great story, not perfect there were a few things that irked me about the story but besides that it was a great read.
AMEERA
this book not for me cuz i'm not emotional person or search for romantic stories , i'm tough girl :D
Christy
Nicholas Sparks is not a good writer.

His dialogue is completely flat, and it doesn't help when he throws in comments such as "he liked her wit" when nothing at all witty had been said. I can only imagine he is working toward a certain word count when he describes every step of making tacos and homemade ice cream. I've heard that he disdains the label of romance author for himself, but most romance authors I read can write circles around him.

Inés Izal
Mar 31, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014
Creo que Nicholas Sparks es mi autor favorito sin yo misma saberlo. Mi relación con él es bastante tensa, porque lo odio con todo mi corazón por esos finales tan crueles en sus libros, pero lo amo con toda mi alma por todas las historias de amor tan maravillosas que ha creado.
Y tengo que decirlo o explotaré: ¡Por fin un final feliz!

Jason Lilly
I should have known what I was getting myself into.

Okay... Let me begin with some positives so I can avoid being hunted down and beaten by the army of Nicholas Sparks fans.

Sparks is an excellent storyteller and a master of the romantic motif. He is good at taking a timeless story element and putting a new spin on it. He is also good with pacing, using smooth and lyrical words during romantic moments and quick and terse words in the more suspenseful moments.

However...

There are few things more irr
Carrie
Dec 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: publisher-arc
The Lucky One by Nicholas Sparks is a contemporary romance that was originally published back in 2008 but is now being republished. Nicholas Sparks is an author that most folks know you can count on to tell a beautiful story so this one has been on my TBR and luckily enough I was gifted a review copy and finally got the chance to read it.

Logan Thibault is an ex marine that has a strange sort of mission to accomplish now that he’s back in the states. Logan had found a photograph of a young woman
Ivy
Sep 06, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone who needs to kill some time on a flight.
This wasn't one of my absolute favorites--just okay. I have read several Nicholas Sparks novels and I put this one in the category of "True Believer" and its sequel, "At First Sight".

By now the author pretty much has a formula which he follows in most of his books: always set it his home state of North Carolina, there is always a storm where the plot twists and/or reaches its climax, someone usually dies, and the couples always fall in love and end up in bed--usually, boring, uninteresting sex e
Amanda
May 22, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Whenever I go to read a Nicholas Sparks book my first (and usually only) question to anyone who has read it is "Am I going to cry?" I ask this because in many of Spark's novels the main character dies in the end often in a tragic way. Since, I now want fun books with happy endings, it breaks my heart when this happens.

However, Sparks has such a rich and inviting writing style that even with these reoccurring tragic endings, I can't help but fall in love with any and all of his books. The charac
Hiba Arrame
Jun 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Thank you Nicholas Sparks for the heart attack you almost caused me with that ending! I was this close ( ) to lose my mind over Logan.
It's a beautiful story, beautifully written, and very enjoyable, it evokes faith, luck, destiny, all gathered in a former marine's life, and his journey to accomplish what had started in his life because of a photograph.
IDK why! But I always find Sparks' stories so enjoyable, like they keep one's mind away from his own crap, and make it wander away in the era and
Anna Marie
I read it because I can't watch a movie without reading the book, first. What I want to know is, HOW this man got so popular? He can't write for crap. Utterly unbelievable. First of all, we have Elizabeth, who is a single mom who is a teacher (think lesson plans, grading papers, gone all day, etc) who takes her son to chess/baseball/violin, who also cares for her grandmother (who had a stroke), AND co-runs a kennel/obedience school out of her home AND is carting her son back and fort to visitati ...more
Kelly Moran
Sep 04, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: my-reviews
I found The Lucky One, by Nicholas Sparks, captivating. Nicholas Sparks is a #1 New York Times best-selling author with over fifty million copies of his books in print worldwide and translated into over forty languages. Other titles include: The Rescue, A Bend in the Road, The Guardian, The Wedding, True Believer, At First Sight, Dear John, The Choice, and Three Weeks With My Brother. Nicholas Sparks has also had four of his novels adapted into major motion pictures including: Message in a Bottl ...more
AnnaMay
Dec 20, 2008 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Okay, so this book followed my reading of The Story of Edgar Sawtelle. After that great work of literature, anything would pale, probably. Maybe I'm not being fair, but I really just didn't care for Sparks' latest. I've only read a few of his books, but already I'm seeing a pattern and I found myself getting bored and saying, "Awe, come on," throughout. The plot was too predictable, the characters were too generic, and I guess I just wasn't in to the whole storyline. The creepy cop ex-husband di ...more
Syndi
Dec 22, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The lucky one. Just like the title, mr SParks is telling us about believing in luck. Life is hard and sometimes along the way u encounter luck. Things that u can not explain but just believe on it and hold on tight.

The story befins where logan finds a picture of a woman in kuwait during his tour of duty. And after that his luck change. He somehow survived many horrible and even death. He reluctantly believe its because of that picture. So when he was discharged, he searched for the woman in the
Katie
Feb 02, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ashley
Nov 23, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Started off a little slow, maybe because he spent so much time introducing the characters. It just got a little old and before I knew it I was 1/2 way through the book and not much had happened. But good thing you don't read the beginning last.

I did like the story, I'm a sap for romance, I loved the character Logan.

On a side note I couldn't get past some of the writing. For being such a famous author I would think they would use spell check or something before they published it. (Ex. finally was
Ashley Drumm
May 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I always enjoy re-reading this book
Norah Una Sumner
“It was their secret, a secret meant for just the two of them, and she'd never been able to imagine how it would sound coming from someone else. But, somehow, Logan made it sound just right.”

Such a great book.I really liked the whole concept of this book,it's very interesting.Logan is such an amazing character,he's pretty much my new fictional crush.But I do agree that he should have told Elizabeth about the photo as soon as he met her,that would make both his and her life so much easier.Eliza
Ninoska Goris
Mar 14, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Una historia de como el destino nos sorprende y nos guía hacia el amor verdadero.
Brendagarza
Siempre que siento que tengo que leer algo más ligero me gustar recurrir a autores como Nicholas Sparks, casi nunca me defrauda y en esta ocasión ciertamente no lo ha hecho.

Es una historia sencilla, tranquila incluso, que cuenta como Logan, nuestro protagonista se embarca en un largo viaje en busca de una persona. Me ha gustado mucho Logan como personaje, creo que le ha faltado un poco de profundidad, pero aun así me ha gustado.

Me resulta curioso que Sparks siendo hombre tenga más facilidad pa
CL
I'm not going to lie: I read this book because I wanted to watch the film and I wanted to watch the film because Zac Efron is in it and I wanted to stare at Zac Efron for 90 minutes because I am shallow.

I also wanted to read the book because I'm fascinated by the fact that so many of Nicholas Sparks' novels have been turned into films. Is he really that good or just he have an extraordinary agent?

Well, I enjoyed this book. Between reading the blurb and seeing the trailer for the film, I knew exa
☽ TheBibliotheque
“In the blink of an eye, something happens by chance - when you least expect it - sets you on a course that you never planned, into a future you never imagined.”

Ah, Mr. Sparks. Crowned king of the romance, emperor of the love stories that hit you where it hurts the most. Allow me to be frank here, my dear Nicholas, I am slightly disappointed.

The Lucky One has everything I need in a book for me to be moved and emotionally kicked (always in a good way, of course). But there was something missing,
Carmen de la Rosa
Feb 02, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
THE LUCKY ONE es otra gran lectura de Nicholas Sparks. Aquí se nos da una historia con un borde ligeramente más oscuro y mucho más suspenso que su habitual romance.

Una de las grandes (o no tan buenas) cosas de Nicholas Sparks es que no siempre te da un final feliz y fue con esto en mente que casi a la mitad, justo cuando las aguas de la inundación comenzaron a subir, los secretos empezaron a salir a la superficie, ya estaba completamente involucrada en los personajes y su incipiente historia de
Shannon
I was waiting for a flight, desperate for reading material, so I picked this up at the airport book stall. I read the summary on the back cover and decided it sounded better than a James Patterson book, but definitely wasn't going to set my world on fire. Wow, was I right.

About a third of the way through, I was shaking my head at the complete and utter CHEESINESS of the story. So, I checked the front flap for the author's name and other works to make a mental note to avoid them in the future. I
Karen
The famous Nicholas Sparks creates yet another amazing tale of lovers.
Driven by luck and determination, Logan Thibult is in a search for a woman in a photograph that he found serving war in iraq. The photograph saved his life numerous times and with little persuasion by his friend Victor, he set on a journey to find the woman and repay the debt he felt he owed.
Elizabeth, a woman who spent the rest of her life after highschool struggling through life as a single mother, is overwhelmed with her li
Trinity Schnor 1 2 Apr 12, 2018 10:36AM
HMSA Summer Reading: Book Review: The Lucky One 1 1 Oct 31, 2017 11:30AM
Book Review: The Lucky One 1 3 Oct 31, 2017 11:22AM
What's the Name o...: SOLVED. Soldier story, finding the girl in the photograph [s] 6 217 Sep 10, 2016 07:48PM
  • Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Harry Potter, #7)
  • The Death and Life of Charlie St. Cloud
  • Speak
  • Wokini: A Lakota Journey to Happiness and Self-Understanding
  • Between Sundays
  • Nicholas Sparks
  • Safe Harbour
  • Savor the Moment (Bride Quartet, #3)
  • A Perfect Day
  • Lifted Up by Angels (Angels, #2)
  • That Summer
  • The Vow
  • Mrs. Miracle (Angelic Intervention #4)
  • Then Came Heaven

Nicholas Sparks is one of the world’s most beloved storytellers. All of his books have been New York Times bestsellers, with over 105 million copies sold worldwide, in more than 50 languages, including over 75 million copies in the United States alone.

Sparks wrote one of his best-known stories, The Notebook, over a period of six months at age 28. It was published in 1996 and he followed with the n

“She was struck by the simple truth that sometimes the most ordinary things could be made extraordinary, simply by doing them with the right people...” 1243 likes
“He was the toast to her butter.” 662 likes