Start by marking “Teaming: How Organizations Learn, Innovate, and Compete in the Knowledge Economy” as Want to Read:

New breakthrough thinking in organizational learning, leadership, and change Continuous improvement, understanding complex systems, and promoting innovation are all part of the landscape of learning challenges today's companies face. Amy Edmondson shows that organizations thrive, or fail to thrive, based on how well the small groups within those organizations work. In most ...more
Published August 14th 2012 by John Wiley & Sons (first published August 1st 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Teaming, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Teaming

Start your review of Teaming: How Organizations Learn, Innovate, and Compete in the Knowledge Economy
John Stepper
Sep 06, 2016 rated it liked it
If you're interested in making your teams more effective, especially at learning and getting better, then this is a very useful book.

I admit to being spoiled by Gladwell and other great non-fiction storytellers. So my initial reaction to this book but was that it read too much like an academic paper. "Academic" isn't bad of course, but it can be less engaging.

Yet there are many useful ideas here, and they're backed up by solid research over a long period of time. What I especially appreciated
Bethany
Oct 23, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: business
This was so difficult to read! Between the jargon and the redundancy, I blame the editor more than (as much as) the writer, but you can essentially get through the whole thing just reading the headings. No crazy revelations here, either, and even when the insights are interesting, the path to application is weak or nonexistent.

My favorite chapter was on framing, but I've seen it written better in other places.
Marcin
Apr 07, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a fantastic research based resource that is grounded in earlier work by Argyris, Senge or Schein. With a clear structure to promote teaming (Amy's alternative name to working in teams) supported by culture of psychological safety and with plenty of specific examples from across industries this book is an indispensable guide to creating thriving and effective workplaces for the 21st century.
Jonathan Malone
May 29, 2013 rated it really liked it
People are different (thank you Mr. Obvious).
We think differently, we have different values, different hopes, and different smells. This means it can often be difficult to do things when people get together. Some people want to work only with square, red pegs. Other people only want to work with round, blue pegs. Others want to have round, red pegs, and others square, blue pegs. And then there are those who just want to take a nap.

And yet we somehow have to learn how to get along.

In her introduc
Manderson
I think the ideas in this book are good, but man, the language is just robotic and dull. Once I realized that Edmondson summarizes the main points of each chapter into nice little bullet points, I stopped wasting my time reading the chapters and just read the summaries to get at those ideas. So if you're going to look into this book, realize that this reads like a textbook.
Eva
Jun 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
Key takeaways:
(1) Make it safe to be honest
(2) Leadership matters
Sharon Bautista
Feb 23, 2014 rated it it was ok
Mostly a synthesis of Edmondson's past work, so it didn't seem like anything new from her. It did help validate the findings of my thesis!
Srivatssan
Oct 11, 2020 rated it really liked it
This book packs some well-done research on team efficiency. The only problem I have with this book is the author giving verbose explanations and many time redundant one's when the concept is clear right from the start. Maybe this is just me and one should take my review with a pinch of salt. I love the idea of all organizations to be aligned as organizations to learn instead of organizations for efficiency. However, I am sure that this idea should be coupled with other leadership ideas like "Dec ...more
Jules
Apr 23, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: od
A deep dive into how individuals form teams that can better learn and adapt. While I already knew much about the underpinnings of psychological safety (if I hadn't, I might've rated this more highly as more revelatory), it was still valuable to look at learning and teaming challenges in different environments, to delve into the leader's role, and to reflect on some of the key questions to ask in understanding the teaming needs of an organization.

Not a step-by-step playbook, if you wanted one; h
Em Flynn
Aug 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Great management book that focused on new methods to bring together different groups and spark creativity and productivity in teams of all shapes and sizes. Loved the focus on intention and reflection, and the need to focus more on the needs and motivations of each individual staff. Highly recommend.
Susan0920
Feb 07, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Clear concepts

This was our choice for a leadership book club. There were enough examples for implementation and stories of real world success. Worth a read. It was a quick, simple read.
Doruk
Jul 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: teams
İnformational but could be more insightful and eye opening. That is, the reader expects a clear articulation of how today's innovative teams operate and solve complex problems. İf a well known harvard scholar do not provide this who will be?
Amber
May 03, 2017 rated it liked it
An easy read that goes a theoretical layer deeper than airport bookstore management books. I find myself referencing it.
Anthony Cramp
Jan 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
Good book on teaming with actionable leadership behaviours.
Glennie Mercer
Jun 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
Great concept extremely relevant to today's environment. A dense/academic book with lots of useful references and worth having on my bookshelf.
Vijayshree Menon
Apr 12, 2020 rated it liked it
I found the book very theortical though it had practical examples. I would still say it is worth reading for the concepts esp on psychological safety.
Jimmy
Mar 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cards
One of the most important and prominent books in management.

It has lots of similarity with Principles.
Ralf Kruse
Oct 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
Books links to profound research. While parts are written a bit boring, I found the insights for supporting teaming to organizations really insightful.
Pearl Mattenson
Nov 20, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: for-my-clients
An outstanding book for our time. I can't think of a sector in our world that won't benefit from the synthesis of Edmondson's research. And I love her orientation that states you don't set out to change your organizational culture. Rather you seek to meet the goals of your institution and in the device if doing that you put systems in place that serve those goals. Will it shift your culture? Absolutely.
Jonathan Silk
Jan 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Great read! When organization embrace Teaming new ideas and solutions emerge seething the conditions for innovation to occur. Teams that learn how to "execute to learn" thrive during complex and innovation operations.
Irene Gracesiana
Oct 02, 2016 rated it really liked it
SAFE environment to create culture of learning. Great Book for handling learning in organization :)
Matthias
Jan 12, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: owned-books
Not really a smooth read (it took me 1,5 years to finish) but some interesting concepts and cases
Butch
Apr 27, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Excellent book on creating a culture in which people can easily collaborate with others in a dynamic and responsive way. Practical.
William Tang
Sep 14, 2013 rated it really liked it
Lot of good ideas and insights on organization learning. However, the book goes on and on. It could of been 100 pages shorter.
Samantha Hines
Feb 20, 2015 rated it really liked it
Lots of practical, actionable ideas. Good read for library managers.
Eduardo
Dec 27, 2013 is currently reading it
Shelves: leadership, learning
I like that she's very conscious of what leads people and teams to continue to learn as they work together and points that out throughout.
Pete
Jul 28, 2014 rated it really liked it
Really enjoyed the framing chapter. Probably better as a reference than a read-through.
Hilary Goldstein
May 16, 2020
Scribble
Jan 04, 2020
Tina O'Toole
Apr 29, 2018
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »

• Great by Choice: Uncertainty, Chaos, and Luck—Why Some Thrive Despite Them All
  • Team of Teams: New Rules of Engagement for a Complex World
  • Psychological Safety: The key to happy, high-performing people and teams
  • The Hemlock Cup: Socrates, Athens, and the Search for the Good Life
  • Maximalist: America in the World from Truman to Obama
  • The Cleanest Race: How North Koreans See Themselves and Why It Matters
  • Joker One: A Marine Platoon's Story of Courage, Leadership, and Brotherhood
  • Leading Change
  • The Rural Diaries: Love, Livestock, and Big Life Lessons Down on Mischief Farm
  • The Code. The Evaluation. The Protocols: Striving to Become an Eminently Qualified Human
  • Powerful: Building a Culture of Freedom and Responsibility
  • Brave New Work: Are You Ready to Reinvent Your Organization?
  • Call Sign Chaos: Learning to Lead
  • Team Topologies: Organizing Business and Technology Teams for Fast Flow
  • Life Undercover: Coming of Age in the CIA
  • Corporate Rebels: Make Work More Fun
  • The Board Book: An Insider's Guide for Directors and Trustees
Amy C. Edmondson is the Novartis Professor of Leadership and Management at the Harvard Business School, where she teaches courses in leadership, organizational learning, and operations management in the MBA and Executive Education programs.

News & Interviews

“For over a century, we’ve focused too much on relentless execution and depended too much on fear to get things done. That era is over.” 0 likes