Start by marking “Divas of Damascus Road” as Want to Read:
Divas of Damascus Road

Divas of Damascus Road

4.13  ·  Rating details ·  396 Ratings  ·  38 Reviews
A family of Christian women battle issues of unwanted pregnancies, overeating, mental illness and traumatic childhoods
Published May 30th 2009 by Walk Worthy Press (first published July 12th 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Divas of Damascus Road, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Divas of Damascus Road

Tyora Moody
Oct 17, 2007 rated it really liked it
When Dianne learns about her beloved Aunt Gloria’s upcoming nuptials, she must make a difficult decision. Dianne has lived away from Dentonville for over twenty years avoiding the woman who has brought her the most pain in her life, her mother. Besides staying away from Dentonville, Dianne has covered up her pain by seeking love in too many of the wrong arms.

While Dianne avoids her past, her two cousins, Yolanda and Regina have their own issues. Regina has the “perfect life” which includes a won
Mahoghani 23
Spiritually guided, each diva in this story has a trial/tribulation to go through. Diane, Regina, Yolanda, Joyce Ann, Aunt Toe & Gloria have issues but because they are strong, Christian women, they are never far from their Heavenly Father and his guidance. God is always there when you need him and will provide the support and strength you need.

Written to provide insight about secrets and what they can do to a family. Also, believing in and relying on God. Provides a descriptive insight into
Missy Michaels
Sep 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
Divas of Damascus Road begins with a prologue that provides insight into what the childhood conditions were for sisters Dianne and Shannon. This is the type of novel that just moves along at a very slow leisurely pace. The novel is set in Texas, a state I know and love. The novel makes mention of Dallas and Galveston. It also makes mention of fictitious cities Dentonville and Darson which I thought was kind of dumb. If you're going to be real then be real. There was a scene in the mall that I wa ...more
Tasha
A completely and utterly frustrating read. So frustrating that I wasn't even able to finish is. Divas of Damascus Road follows three cousins, Yolanda, Dianne, and Regina, as they attempt to maneuver through life and deal with familial issues at the same time.

Yolanda: The younger sister of her and Regina, daughter of Gloria. I found absolutely nothing redeeming about her. The fact that she was so rude to Kelan when all he was trying to do was get to know her was enough to turn me off.

Regina: OMG!
OOSA
Dec 31, 2008 rated it it was amazing
The Rucker Women,
DIVAS OF DAMASCUS ROAD is a very good read about strong family values and bonds with passionate spiritual ties. As an avid reader, I am confident that others will associate with DIVAS OF DAMASCUS ROAD mainly due to the fact that every family, at the minimum, has one person in their family who has it all together and is stronger than the others as well as a dysfunctional side that you can't hide regardless how hard you try.

Fortunately, for The Rucker family lies the lines of pr
Tasha Chandler
Dec 23, 2013 rated it it was amazing
It took me a while to get my thoughts together about this book. This family had so many secrets that once one spilled out , all of them came out. Aunt Toe was the rock of this family and she was determine before she died to get her family back on the right path. It took a sad situation to bring the ladies back as one,but with a little prayer it worked.
Lyn
Nov 03, 2012 rated it really liked it
I have not read any books by Michelle. This book was good. I loved the how the story was told. It is a reminder that life is too short to hold grudges and have anger in your heart for what others have done or what they allowed to happen due to the choices made or not. Good reminders.
Nicole
Oct 09, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Loved it. We all have some family secrets and chains hindering us family wise and this book proved that prayer and sticking together along with forgiveness can help you all make it through
Maria Rustin
May 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
An inspiring story about women, family & their struggles of life.
Monique
Jul 01, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Dianne left Dentonville, Texas vowing never to return until she got a call from her aunt Gloria begging her to come to the wedding. Dianne did miss her family. She always had an excuse for the major events of life cousin Yolanda's graduation from pharmacy school, her sister - Regina's baby shower, great aunt Toe's birthday party, and it would be heart-wrenching to miss aunt Gloria's wedding. Dianne called on her trusty male friend to accompany on her the long bus trip from Conroe back home. Thin ...more
Hyouten
May 18, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Divas of Damascus Road follows the story of three women who are cousins: Dianne, Yolanda, and Regina. They are plagued with personal and familial problems and they hope to get through them. I expected a heart-tugging read as I watch the characters persevere through their circumstances, but I was disappointed. Instead, the whole book felt like I was watching a vain reality show that’s trying to milk too much drama out of each other in an attempt to boost viewer ratings. I have to admit, however, ...more
Cathy
Feb 22, 2014 rated it really liked it
This was captivating, albeit, not in a fairly good manner. When this was listed as Christian fiction, I really wanted the character of God to be at the forefront of the book. This family just WENT to church. Yes there was some prayer, thanks to Kelon. As I read, I began my AA checklist. Stereotypical, yes, but I did so with apology. With that said, here we go as I remember: lies (check), adultery (check), fornication (check), anger (check), bitterness (check), lust (check), etc etc etc. The "goo ...more
Karen
Jan 30, 2015 rated it really liked it
The Rucker family was a family of beautiful, strong, smart women holding secrets. Dianne Rucker moved away from her family to avoid the pain and guilt that she had. Dianne was called back home for her Aunt Gloria’s wedding. Dianne did not want to return to her hometown because she did not want to see her mother. Regina was an excellent lawyer, married with a new baby, but she had issues with her weight. Yolanda is a pharmacist with a touch of OCD. Everything had to be perfect in her life. Gloria ...more
Cheryl Ellis
May 05, 2014 rated it really liked it
This book is about family! There are many secrets in this family that hurt others by not telling them sooner. When tragedy strikes and Shannon dies, the family struggles to deal with it. What they could have done different doesn't matter, it's how they accepted or did not accept it is what affects them all. Joyce Ann struggles with a life of drugs and alcohol. Dianne struggles with relationships. Regina struggles with weight and eating disorders. Will they each learn to lean on God and realize t ...more
Michele
Aug 26, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: faith, kindle, modern
I was not sure about this book when I picked it up...I mean, I have never been a drug addicted, black, single black mom living in Texas I've never been drug addicted, black, a single mom or never visited Texas let alone live there. However, I gave it a try.....and all I can say is wow. The book can be summarized as love conquers all and as long as you trust in God, everything will be okay. However, that does not even begin to bring justice to this book. It made me think of things in a different ...more
Paige
Apr 04, 2015 rated it liked it
This was not my favorite by this author but I didn't hate. While I enjoyed the different points of views I found it to be very jumpy and that there were some dramatic personality changes that were never fully fleshed out and the story seems to kind of rush to get to an end. Also there were many times that the women were completely unsympathetic not to mention disrespectful to their mother and great aunt in the story. That alone was hard to read since it made me want to reach through my Kindle an ...more
Diana
Aug 22, 2011 rated it it was amazing
At first, I didn't want to give this book a chance. But I am SO glad I did! I found myself laughing out loud at some parts, my favorite character is Aunt Toe. This book will hit home with a lot of African-American women because we know how our mamas, grandmamas, and great grandmamas can keep some secrets! They will keep these secrets for generations and then when all the mess hits the fan... well this book shows you what can happen. It was a great read, very relatable characters, and I would rea ...more
Georgia
Jul 29, 2014 rated it really liked it
The book's beginning may be a bit rough since the story is difficult, but keep at it! The main charachters are trying to figure out who they are as adults each with a different lesson to be learn and gift to exchange.

If you are a Christian you will enjoy the message and the way the story is woven with the story of love, forgiveness, and healing.

Tasha
Apr 23, 2014 rated it liked it
This was a good book. Not great as Stimpson's Stepping Down book but not bad either. I read the e-book version and there were a ton of grammatical errors. Reading e-books, this does not bother me too much but would if it were a hard copy. The story line was good but the transitions were not smooth and at times frustrating. A predictable book but a good read.
Bee
Apr 20, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really loved this book. I was not sure what to expect based on the title but what I read I enjoyed. I loved all the characters who all played an active kart in the storyline. Dianne, what a woman. She went through a lot but she came through. I lob the relationship between Yolanda and Kelan. I could go on but I won't. I thoroughly enjoyed this book.
Sue
Dianne hasn't been home for almost 20 years and is going only because her Aunt Gloria is getting married and requested her presence. Gloria raised her, after a horrible accident for which she blames herself occurs and her mentally ill mother is not fit to care for her. It's the story of making peace with the past and moving on. Some of the characters were entertaining.
Cynthia Chambliss
Editing?

I love every character in this story as a matter of fact it left me looking for more. is there a sequel in the works? the only issue I have is with grammatical errors that at times became a distraction. other than that I can't wait to read more from this very talented author.
Martha Sue Lambert
Strong stories powerfully told.

Stimpson skillfully weaves stories of several strong characters as they develop practical, lifestyle faith and grow through difficult situations. Readers are left with a good story and much to ponder.
Cheryl Hurd
Mar 03, 2014 rated it liked it
this was a good read about family and all of the secrets that are hiding in the closet. and, we all know that all secrets/skeletons seem to come out and without God and prayer those secrets can hurt. love this author.....great book.
Lilia Stephens
Jan 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Teachings through pain a loss!

Surprising developments in this family. It is an exciting story with a lot to teach about human nature and mental illness. I enjoyed this book very much!

Jackie
Jul 06, 2014 rated it really liked it
Good quick read.
Marilyn
Apr 26, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good

this was a book about a very religious family of black women who had to overcome things that had happened in the past.
Sonja
Aug 06, 2011 added it
We had an awesome time discussing this book! Very good!
shirley
Jul 15, 2015 rated it really liked it
This was a good book. It deals with family secrets and how when they are revealed it can lead to a Saul to Paul transformation.
Hope
Aug 11, 2012 rated it liked it
Actual rating: 3.5
  • The Amen Sisters: A Novel
  • If Memory Serves (The Blessed Trinity Series, #3)
  • The Ideal Wife
  • Up at the College
  • Sister Betty Says I Do
  • Speak to My Heart (Spirit and Soul #1)
  • Heaven Forbid (Hallelujah Love #6)
  • Forsaken (Forsaken, #1)
  • The Pastor's Wife
  • The Last Woman Standing
  • Temptation
  • Arresting Grace
Michelle Stimpson is the national bestselling author of more than 30 books and 50 short stories. Her works include Boaz Brown, Divas of Damascus Road (National Bestseller), and the award-winning Mama B series.
More about Michelle Stimpson...
“Forgiveness is not contingent upon what someone else does or doesn’t do.” 0 likes
“Sometimes people had to hit rock bottom to get to the Rock at the bottom.” 0 likes