Start by marking “Cape Light (Cape Light #1)” as Want to Read:
Cape Light (Cape Light #1)

Cape Light

(Cape Light #1)

Thomas Kinkade, also known as the Painter of Light, is a true American phenomenon. Beloved by millions for his paintings, Thomas Kinkade is often asked by his fans what kind of people inhabited his landscapes. Cape Light is the answer.
Thomas Kinkade has become a modern-day Norman Rockwell, painting, in his words, scenes that serve as places of refuge for battle-weary
Published March 5th 2002 by Berkley Hardcover (first published January 1st 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Cape Light, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Cape Light

Start your review of Cape Light (Cape Light #1)
Nolan
Dec 08, 2009 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed a singularly compelling experience late last month. I cracked the cover of this book and was instantly transported to Cape Light, Massachusetts, a community whose magic lies in the development of its characters, its various plot lines, and the flowing writing style of its authors—a writing style that seems to blend the best of Luanne Rice, Nicholas Sparks, Richard Paul Evans and anyone else you can think of who writes like that.

I read book one in this series because some of the later
Donna
Sep 18, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I am just starting to read the Cape Light series of books by Thomas Kinkade and Katherine Spencer.

In Cape Light you will meet the many people that make up the town's history. There is the Warwick family: Lillian, the matriarch of the family; Emily, the town's Mayor; and Jessica, the assistant manager at the bank. Another large family in Cape Light are the Morgan's: Sam, who is a carpenter and very much in love with Jessica; Molly, the sister who despises Jessica, and her daughters Lauren and
Anne  (Booklady) Molinarolo
Mar 02, 2012 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Anne (Booklady) by: Connie
4.5 Stars

Don't let the Christian Fiction genre label be an excuse to shy away from this lovely book. Thomas Kinkade and Katherine Spencer have created such a warm fictitious New England village, Cape Light, Massachusetts. Its inhabitants are warm and generous, though there are a few whose lives are not without hardships or past sorrows. I can see Cape Light as one of Thomas Kinkade"s Rockwell-like paintings. It is not heavy-handed in its use of Bible quotations or spiritual reflections. Cape
James
Oct 09, 2013 marked it as to-read-never
I don't plan to read the book, because I can only assume I would dislike the book in the same way I dislike the art. However, many years ago while on holiday we were sniggering outside one of his 'galleries' and my brother-in-law announced: "Thomas Kinkade, painter in something that rhymes with light!". And we fell about laughing. Until we noticed that the window was open and the woman in the shop was not nearly as amused as we were...

It's hard to imagine how the sentimental twee artist of the
Jamie
Feb 05, 2007 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: romance fans
Shelves: read-in-2007
This was a nice little book about a small town where everyone knows everybody's business - nearly. Most of the characters in this novel either have a secret hope for their futures, secrets that haunt them in their pasts, or feelings they keep a secret even from themselves.

Cape Light has strongly Christian themes about giving oneself over to God's hands and letting God handle things. I'm not religious and expected that the Christian backbone would be distracting from the main story, but I was
Jenn O'Brien
Nov 08, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My mom has been a fan of these books for a number of years. Each year for Christmas, we get her the newest release in the series. I was visiting and not interested in the book I brought with me. I picked up this little gem and was immediately sucked into the world of this cast of characters. And what a cast it is! I had to start a notebook of all the people we were being introduced to and how they were all connected. But once you get to know them, this is a charming story. if you enjoy Debbie ...more
A Turtles
Jan 17, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Wonderful, inspirational, and just what I needed at the moment. Beautifully written romance about Faith, love, and our relationships with God. I have been a big fan of The Painter of Light since I fell in love with a snow filled landscape painting in a gallery at age 11. This is my first novel I have read by him, and it was just as wonderful as his paintings. I will be putting up my Thomas Kinkade Christmas village this year for Christmas!
Kathryn
Oct 30, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017, cape-light
I like this first book in the series. I bit more depth than some cozy stories. All the loose ends were not tied up at the end, which makes me want to read the next. This will be a fun series to read.
Matthew
Jul 10, 2011 rated it it was ok
Ughh...just ughh...I should have known better than to select a book by an artist known as the painter of light. I enjoy Kinkade and own several prints, however this is one talent he does not have. Sappy, over reaching, pretentious, and predictable. Won't happen again.
Sheri
Sep 30, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I've read all these and love little town series:)
Amy
Sep 27, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Wonderful read. Taking it back to the Library and getting the next one tomorrow!!
Kristi Drillien
Jan 01, 2020 rated it liked it
Cape Light is a small, very connected, and generally religious New England village. In this first book of 20 (so far), we are introduced to some of the inhabitants of the village--the mayor and her family, who are still somewhat reeling from a scandal in the past; the local diner owner who is very set in his ways and has designs on unseating the mayor in the next election; the reverend and his wife, whose joyful news is overshadowed by a wayward family member. Characters are established and at ...more
Your Common House Bat
Jul 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Fans of chick lit
This was a good summer read. Funny story; it was on my to read list and I found it in a 'give one take one' free book exchange. I picked this one up because it was set in Maine and I wasn't disappointed with the plot. I liked hearing each of the characters' stories because they were all so different from each other. I think one of the main reasons as to why I liked them was because they felt so real.

On top of that I liked the Christian bits. I'm no super religious but this book was such a nice
Taryn Rai Spearey
I love this story! It takes place in a small town named Cape Light. In this town, everyone knows everyone.

Jessica Warwick isn't too excited about coming home to help take care of her mother. She has no intention of staying for long and has a desire to return to the city.

Then, Jessica bumps into Sam Morgan, a construction worker.

I really like the small town setting in this book. It really felt as though you were getting to know every person in town. I'm not a big fan of Lillian Warwick, however;
Colleen
Jun 03, 2018 rated it it was ok
Whenever I try to feed my 4yo niece something that she’s never seen before (i.e. something not pizza or McDonald’s) she says, shyly and regretfully, “I can’t like that.” Leaves you with the impression that she would if she could- but she just simply can’t.

That’s how I felt about Cape Light. I wanted to like it- after all, all those beautiful pictures Kincaid painted! But I couldn’t. There’s a fine line between the Mitford series, which I loved, and Cape Light, which left me cold. They are quite
Rhamira
Jul 23, 2018 rated it did not like it
Truly I love Kinkade's paintings, espeically his Disney ones. The details are beautiful, I even bought a Kinkade calendar for 2016...I just think he should've stick to talent he is truly gifted in and that's art. Not writing.

I stopped at Chapter 3. The way Kinkade introduce the characters are too much. They're so many characters, all having a first and last name to keep up with. It just didn't flow nor with SO many character did it make me want to read about their slowly dragged life issues in
Jacqueline
Oct 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: christian, do-not-own
This is my first book by Thomas Kinkade and Katherine Spencer. I admit it was slow going at first. I put it down in favor of other books instead, but I could never quite forget about the characters in this novel. I would find myself wondering what will happen to them and finally pulling the book back out to read more. Overall, I enjoyed the book and will continue the series.
Elizabeth Meadows
Jan 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: print-books-2018
I thoroughly enjoyed this book even though it took me a few months to work my way through it. It is definitely a slow paced book, and very much what I would classify as a "comfort read." I am really looking forward to reading more from the series and following the lives of the characters in Cape Light.
Donna
Jan 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fiction
Challenges: RRRCs January 2019 - National Kazoo Day: musical, younger and older characters/brings joy (9); Create Your Own Readathon/Stacking the Series/Steeped in Books - Tertiary List/Level 4/Book 1. A truly joyful book with multiple romances and well-drawn characters of many ages, skills, and spiritual paths to walk and upon which to grow.
Leah
Dec 21, 2017 rated it liked it
This was okay. There were a lot of characters to keep track, and I liked most of them, but it made the story drag at times. There was a happy ending for the couple, and the storylines some of the other characters were left open left open. Those are probably taken care of in the next novel.
Irene
Mar 01, 2018 rated it liked it
Christian romance, written well with typical life challenges. Characters are semi- complex. May be too sweet for some but I found it uplifting. It is, of course, a continuing story though it had a satisfactory semi-ending. One can guess the subjects for future series books.
Kelly
Apr 16, 2018 added it
I read this book twice before, but now that I have the entire series, I felt the need to read it again. I love the simplicity of the town, and how the people had real-life problems, but they didn't hesitate to ask the Lord rd for help. ...more
Darcy Palmer
Jan 18, 2020 rated it really liked it
Love this town and it's characters!
John
Mar 19, 2019 rated it did not like it
"Light" is right, as in 'light weight'. Predictable and sappy is an apt description.
Carol
Oct 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
I am happy this is the first in a series of four books because I want to read more about the people from Cape Light.
Toni
Aug 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book is so amazing that you can read it again and again. Once you start reading it you just can't put it down. It's a must read if u haven't yet. You won't be sorry.
Melanie
Jan 23, 2020 rated it really liked it
This book was sweet, like taking a walk in a garden. Great for reading by the fire after the craziness of Christmas.
S Marie
Aug 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
A nice light and airy read that I throughly enjoyed.
Kathy Cannon
Aug 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I loved this series. Great insight into characters and events.
Anna
Feb 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
So great!
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Lizziefaye's Comf...: Who's joining in? 14 23 Jan 16, 2019 09:29AM
Lizziefaye's Comf...: Cape Light by Thomas Kincade 7 11 Jan 16, 2019 07:32AM

• Finding Christmas
  • Chasing the Sun (Land of the Lone Star, #1)
  • The Way Home
  • Home to Harmony (Harmony, #1)
  • A Seat by the Hearth
  • My Heart Remembers
  • The Christmas Light (Christmas Hope #7)
  • No Place Like Home (Cisco, #1)
  • The Christmas Note (Christmas Hope #6)
  • The Choice (Lancaster County Secrets #1)
  • Harbor of the Heart: Thomas Kinkade's Angel Island
  • Private Justice (Newpointe 911, #1)
  • Maggie's Miracle (The Red Gloves, #2)
  • Strands of Truth
  • The Forgiving Jar (The Prayer Jars #2)
  • The Christmas Wedding
  • The Snow Globe
  • When Joy Came to Stay
Thomas Kinkade was known as the "Painter of Light." His works, although spurned by the secular art establishment, were very popular with Christians and many others.

Cape Light (1 - 10 of 20 books)
  • Home Song (Cape Light #2)
  • A Gathering Place (Cape Light #3)
  • A New Leaf (Cape Light #4)
  • A Christmas Promise (Cape Light #5)
  • The Christmas Angel (Cape Light #6)
  • A Christmas To Remember (Cape Light #7)
  • A Christmas Visitor (Cape Light #8)
  • A Christmas Star (Cape Light #9)
  • A Wish for Christmas (Cape Light #10)
  • On Christmas Eve (Cape Light #11)