Start by marking “Le Roi se meurt” as Want to Read:
Le Roi se meurt

Le Roi se meurt

3.82  ·  Rating details ·  1,296 Ratings  ·  46 Reviews
MARGUERITE, se dirigeant vers le Roi : Sire, je dois vous mettre au courant.
MARIE : Non, taisez-vous.
MARGUERITE, à Marie : Taisez-vous.
MARIE, au Roi : Ce n'est pas vrai ce qu'elle dit.
LE ROI : Au courant de quoi ? Qu'est-ce qui n'est pas vrai ? Marie, pourquoi cet air désolé ? Que vous arrive-t-il ?
MARGUERITE, au Roi : Sire, on doit vous annoncer que vous allez mourir.
LE M
168 pages
Published (first published 1962)

To ask other readers questions about Le Roi se meurt, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Le Roi se meurt

Poet Gentleness
Aug 05, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Absurd?
Or just another great way of demonstration how life is painful and unmerciful, in the same way as Kafka and Beckett did?
I read this book when I finishing my French course in 1989 (I was 18) and maybe not as mature to see that this talks about how unprepared we are for certain aspects of life.
It is not about the death of a king. This death only illustrates absurdly what we should read between the lines.
This is so much more about how we let ourselves be conducted peaceful and unquestione
معتز
هذه هي أول قراءة لي للأخ يونسكو ولمسرحه العبثي.
والآن لدي سؤال ليس في مقدوري الإجابة عنه، لكن بنهاية هذا الريفيو ربما تتشكل لي إجابة ما.
كيف لي أن أكتب ريفيو عن مسرحية بهذا الشكل ! ليس في وسعك إمساكها بالقدر الكافي أو الزعم بأنك فهمتها بنسبة خمسين بالمئة!
حتي الريفيوهات الأخرى لم تساعدك بشكل أو بأخر في فهمها.
لذا دعني أتحلي بشجاعة الحمقي في إدراج محاولة فهمي لهذا النص

شخصيات المسرحية

تتكون المسرحية من 6 شخصيات هي

الملك بريجنيه- الملكة ماري- الملكة ماجيريت- الطبيب وهو أيضَا جلاد وجراح وعالم فلك- جول
Marina
Il re sta morendo. Il suo regno si sta sbriciolando insieme a lui. Contava nove miliardi di abitanti, ora sono appena un migliaio, e sembra pieno di buchi, è diventato piccolissimo, tra poco praticamente non esisterà più. Probabilmente morirà insieme al re.

Il re però non vuole morire, si rifiuta, non accetta minimamente la sua sorte. Ha vissuto centinaia di anni e ha sempre rimandato il momento di pensare alla morte, perché ci sarebbe stato tempo. Al re avevano promesso che sarebbe morto quando
DRM
Jul 14, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The second and possibly last entry in my ill fated "Read A Play Every Friday" series. Geoffrey Rush won a Tony for his role as the king in the recent New York revival of this so I thought it would be a fitting choice. I love pretty much anything Ionesco does so it was no surprise that I loved it. Very minimal (of course) but detailed account of the literal disintegration of every aspect of the king: his kingdom, attendants, lovers, and self. Existential futility to the extreme and naturally not ...more
Oumaima Karim Allah
Mar 24, 2015 rated it really liked it
It's about death. Yet it's not a tragedy. I'd never read a play, but this one, from theater of the Absurd was genuinely phenomenal.

It's a play that makes you think and return on a lot of points of your existence. It shows how we're never ready to death, how death takes us by surprise and catches us off guard...

I enjoyed this play soo much and I do truly recommend it. Plus it's a one-day reading !
notgettingenough
Mar 16, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: drama
2007. I have made the mistake of going to a matinee performance and my heart sinks before an absurd word has been spoken. I find myself sitting in front of a group of maybe 20 kids with Down Syndrome. I don't even know any theatre going adults who admit to liking Theatre of the Absurd and who on earth could possibly have thought these kids would be an exception.

Oh. But oh. Geoffrey Rush is something special. He had the entire audience eating from the palm of his hand and the kids behind me were
Sparrow
I read this one or two sentences a day, four of four or five years. It was pretty easy to follow. The king dies -- not to give away the whole plot. When I started it, the play seemed absolutely an attack on George W. Bush. By the end, Bush had been banished by history, and it now seemed a meditation on mortality. It has that near-mysticism that is "modernism," and perhaps the story never quite resolves itself. But it's great in French. Though perhaps everything is great in French. Everything I r ...more
Axel Shut
Jul 07, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
reportage sugli ultimi mesi di governo di Berlusconi
Emmie
Dec 30, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Je suis surprise par à quel point j'ai apprécié cette pièce. Je compte aller la voir prochainement. Bel oeuvre.
Donato
May 16, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I picked this up at a used bookstore because I'll be going to see a production of it next week. I figured that, since my French listening skills aren't at the same level as my reading skills, I'd read it first to become acquainted with it. And what an acquaintance indeed!

If Zeno was a whack to the head, this is a blow to the heart. You think you're the Master of your Domain, think you're the King of it All, think you can slip by unnoticed? Think again. You're gonna die. That's right. Oh, you for
Ali
Jun 27, 2007 rated it it was ok
پس از قاتل 1958 و کرگدن ها 1959، "شاه می میرد" سومین نمایش نامه یونسکو از حلقه ی "برینر" است. اگر پیش از این برینر سرخورده و نامطمئن است، در "شاه می میرد" پیوسته فرمان می دهد و همه را به اطاعت از خویش وا می دارد. عمر او از چهار صد سال گذشته و در ابتدا اعلام می کند که در حال مرگ است و پادشاهی اش با او خواهد مرد. با مرگ اما می جنگد و از انتقال قدرت سر باز می زند. پزشک و همسر اولش مارگریت، تلاش می کنند به شاه بفهمانند که مرگ یک واقعیت است. اما همسر دومش ماری، با او همدردی می کند و سعی دارد برینر را ...more
Samuele Petrangeli
Per evidenziare le frasi, o i passaggi, che in un testo mi colpiscono particolarmente, uso delle pecette colorate. In questo caso, in un libricino di poco più di 70 pagine, non riesco a distinguere dove ne comincia una e ne finisce un'altra. Semplicemente grandioso: la semplicità dell'allegoria non può far altro che catarizzarla e portarla all'atroce massimo della sua capacità espressiva.
Dokusha
Aug 09, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: humor, classics
Ein Schauspiel in Echtzeit - der König eines Landes wird in Kürze sterben (Kürze heißt: in ca. anderthalb Stunden, am Ende des Stücks) und weiß noch nichts davon. Seine erste Frau und der Arzt bestehen darauf, es ihm nun endlich mitzuteilen, die zweite und aktuelle Frau ist dagegen, um ihn nicht zu sehr zu belasten. Schließlich wird es ihm gesagt, und zuerst glaubt er es nicht. Seine Macht war praktisch absolut, seine Lebensspanne währte Jahrhunderte - da kann er doch nicht einfach abtreten? Abe ...more
FrancesCaporale
Più che dirvi cosa ne penso, oggi vi consiglierò semplicemente la lettura di questa opera.
La chiamo opera e non libro in quanto non nasce come romanzo o un testo di narrativa, ma le parole raccolte in queste pagine hanno origine dalla volontà di essere portate in un contesto teatrale, cosa che è successa a Parigi nel 1962.

L’autore è Eugène Ionesco, nato nel 1912 e deceduto nel 1994. Quest’opera non solo rientra quindi nell’epoca contemporanea, ma è stata inserita, da alcuni critici, tra quelle p
Eadweard
"KING: No, no. I know, nothing can console me. It just wells up inside me, then drains away. Oh dear, oh dear, oh dear, oh dear, oh dear! (Lamentations-then without declamation, he goes on moaning gently to himself.) Help me, you countless thousands who died before me! Tell me how you managed to accept death and die. Then teach me! Let your example be a consola tion to me, let me lean on you like crutches, like a brother's arms. Help me to cross the threshold you have crossed! Come back from the ...more
Ivan Damjanović
U pogovoru se tvrdi da je riječ o tragikomediji, no to je kalup u koji ovaj tekst nema smisla trpati. Autor tvrdi da opisuje stupnjeve ljudskoga odricanja: strah, želju za životom, tugu, nostalgiju, uspomene i, napokon, rezignaciju. Jasno, to je samo fragment mogućih interpretacijskih grananja, tj. potencijala „Kraljeve smrti“. Kao motivacija za pisanje spominje se pokušaj oslobođenja smrtne tjeskobe, ali ulazi se i u razmatranja/ igru s fenomenom kulta ličnosti (portretiranje egotripa) i Ničean ...more
Francesca Pesci
Sep 01, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: theater
La morte arriva per tutti e quando arriverà il nostro turno sarà bene non farci cogliere impreparati: a quel punto infatti dovremmo lasciare tutto alle nostre spalle, ciò che è stato e ciò che sarebbe potuto accadere. Peccato che non tutti siano pronti ad arrendersi al Tristo Mietitore e il Re in questione sembra essere davvero restio...
Ionesco riesce ad intervallare momenti, se non propriamente comici, di levitas in modo che lo spettatore o il lettore non cada mai in uno stato di depressione c
Derrick Flakoll
Sep 13, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Explores an incredible number of angles on a very real problem -- the last problem, in the end, that we'll all have to face -- as only a fantasist with an outsize imagination could. The occasional melodrama is leavened by Ionesco's wicked and ridiculous sense of humor and by an overarching sense of wonder kindled by this play's absolute refusal to give into limits of logic or convention as it takes the themes of weakness and mortatlity and the trope of the fisher king as far as it possibly can.
Christopher Sutch
This full-length play is kind of a letdown after reading Ionesco's late-1950s output. I'm not sure why this feels like a failure to me; the focus on death as an individual experience (albeit embedded in a certain amount of sociopolitical context)? Ionesco doesn't really do emotional material well, and this play has more of that than of absurdist theater trickery to it. Perhaps he had reached the limits of absurdism and was looking for something else?
Elise Buckley
Aug 11, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I skimmed this last year for a French course, but read the English translation recently and loved it. The play skips between being witty and ironic, sincere and touching. The king himself is frustrating in his lack of foresight, but utterly human in his reaction to his own mortality, and therefore relatable. The character of Marguerite is also very interesting - I have yet to decide what (or who) she may represent.
Amandine
J'ai préféré cette pièce-ci à La cantatrice chauve où il semble avant tout détruire le théâtre bourgeois et idéologique de son époque, tandis que dans celle-ci, il continue à se positionner contre ces théâtres, mais en construisant le sien. J'ai apprécié la façon dont il a traité le thème de la mort, sans véritablement prendre parti à la fin: cela ne nous dit pas ce qu'est la mort, ni son issue, mais propose plusieurs pistes connues et surtout, cherche à aider à accepter son inéluctabilité .
Eva Ea
Jan 14, 2016 rated it really liked it
I had to read this book for school, though I must admit I enjoyed it. I never would have thought that the Theatre of the Absurd would interest me, but it did! I'm probably going to read "Rhinocéros" next.
"Le roi se meurt" was a very quick read, took me about 2-3 hours to read intensively (the book is about 160 pages).
Mia
Sep 11, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
O superba parabola despre moarte, absolut absurda, dusa la extrem prin hiperbola, o moarte ce cuprinde toate mortile, moartea Regelui. Cuprinde, la fel, toate visele, toate dorintele, toata viata tuturor oamenilor, un regat intreg, imbatranirea deci, toate alegerile din viata, disparita din ce in ce.
Giorgi Komakhidze
Jan 16, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: plays, absurd
DOCTOR: He will be a page in a book of ten thousand pages
in one of a million l ibraries wh ich has a million books.
JULIETTE: It won't be easy to find that page again.
[DocToR : Oh yes, you ' l l find it catalogued by subject matter,
in alphabetical order . . . until the day comes when the
paper's turned to dust . . . unless it's destroyed by fire.
Libraries often go up in smoke.]
AceOfNoTrade
May 22, 2012 rated it it was ok
Mohsen Rajabi
هرچند در مجموع نمایشنامه خوبی است، اما چند ایراد کلی دارد از جمله اینکه نویسنده یادش رفته روایت داستان مهم تر از سایر عناصر است و مدام می بینیم که به حوادثی که نمادین اند ارجاع داده می شود.

با اینحال، شاید عدم جذابیت این کتاب برای من ابزورد بودنش بود.
Lisanne
Jan 14, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 20th-century, theatre
Liked the combination 'médecin-bourreau-astrologue'. What to do when your life is being 'interpreted' in a way that you believe you're facing death? Will you scream or beg the dead people (how ironical..) for resignation?
Trent
May 19, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this after seeing the current production on Broadway with Susan Sarandon and Geoffrey Rush, to see how the script was visualized. The absurdism means that it probably works better seeing it onstage than reading the script "blind."
Lotte Tvedt
May 09, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
So amusing, yet so painful about a king's last struggle for eternity.
Nispuk
Ionesco Roi se meurt
  • La guerre de Troie n'aura pas lieu
  • The Infernal Machine and Other Plays
  • On ne badine pas avec l'amour
  • L'île des esclaves
  • Mondo et autres histoires
  • Ruy Blas
  • Caligula; suivi de Le Malentendu
  • Folle
Eugène Ionesco, born Eugen Ionescu, was a Romanian and French playwright and dramatist; one of the foremost playwrights of the Theatre of the Absurd. Beyond ridiculing the most banal situations, Ionesco's plays depict in a tangible way the solitude and insignificance of human existence.

Excerpted from Wikipedia.
More about Eugène Ionesco...
“Je meurs, vous entendez, je veux dire que je meurs, je n'arrive pas à le dire, je ne fais que de la littérature.” 3 likes