Start by marking “Child Of God” as Want to Read:
Child Of God

Cormac McCarthy

Child Of God

3.86  ·  Rating details ·  23,799 Ratings  ·  2,011 Reviews
In this taut, chilling novel, Lester Ballard - a violent, dispossessed man falsely accused of rape - haunts the hill country of East Tennessee when he is released from jail. While telling his story, Cormac McCarthy depicts the most sordid aspects of life with dignity, humor, and characteristic lyrical brilliance.
Published (first published January 1st 1973)

To ask other readers questions about Child Of God, please sign up.

Alicia Really the bit about him being accused of rape is only a teensy tiny bit of the story and not something I would ever have used in a description of…moreReally the bit about him being accused of rape is only a teensy tiny bit of the story and not something I would ever have used in a description of what the book is about.
It's about a man, who seems to have some kind of mental illness, who has basically become an outcast within the village where he lives. He's very lonely and I would say the main theme is this loneliness and what it does to him in the end (without giving too much away).
It's quite a strange book, but if you like strange and if you like McCarthy already, you should certainly give it a go.(less)
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Rob McGrory Wouldn't some of the bodies be the men he led into the cave and would have gotten lost after he slipped away from them?

Jeffrey Keeten
Nov 13, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Jeffrey by: On the Southern Literary Trail
Shelves: southern
s.p

Were there darker provinces of night he would have found them.

There is a quote by David Foster Wallace that ‘good fiction's job is to comfort the disturbed and disturb the comfortable.’ Cormac McCarthy’s trim third novel, Child of God, is an optimal example of this sentiment, as it manages to provide the counterparts of the both comfortable and disturbed elements within the reader by offering them an unflinching portrait of baseness and demanding reaction. The short novel chronicles the hellis
Paul Bryant
Oct 18, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: novels
film-of-the-book update :

None other than James (I'm handsome and I can do anything) Franco directed a version of this last year & I just saw it; and - damn, James, I hate to say this but - it was really good! And faithful! Really great performance by Scott Haze as Lester. You probably shouldn't watch it while you eat your tea nor should you be watching it with any elderly relatives but if you know what the story is about you probably would not do that. Unless you want to kill them off with s
Orsodimondo
Oct 16, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: americana
FIGLI DI UN DIO MINORE?
Mi colpisce nell'opera di McCarthy il ruolo che è sempre affidato alla natura: grande coprotagonista di tutte le storie, dura, selvaggia, violenta, ostica, ma non cattiva, non maligna – racchiude la colpa e il peccato, e una sua qualche redenzione.

description
Questa e le due immagini che seguono sono prese dal film omonimo scritto, diretto e co-interpretato da James Franco nel 2013, mai uscito in Italia, e mai uscito in un sacco di altri paesi: il film ha partecipato a qualche festi
Zoeytron
Aug 24, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: public-library
There is something inherently wrong with Lester Ballard. As he skulks through the backwoods of Eastern Tennessee, a hunting rifle is his only companion. Ballard's skewed thinking, awkward ways, and repugnant proclivities render him unfit to be around other people. Darkly disturbing, fascinating and repellent. Another walk in the dark with Cormac McCarthy. This is his territory.
Lawyer
Child of God: Cormac McCarthy's Outcast

photo c0dc5dcd-8d60-4ed5-a77d-f908236627d2_zps5ad5f347.jpg
First edition, Random House, New York, New York, 1973

"He moves in the dry chaff among the dust and slats of sunlight with a constrained truculence. Saxon and Celtic bloods. A child of God much like yourself perhaps.

The setting is Sevier County, Tennessee, in the 1960s. Our protagonist is twenty-seven. He is an orphan. His life between the suicide of his father and the loss of his home is an unanswered question. We are dropped into his story in medias res
Paquita Maria Sanchez
*TANYA*
Nov 08, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Creeeeepy!!! I couldn’t help but think of Ed Gein while reading this book. Yuck!! Very morbidly entertaining. Lol.
Kelly (and the Book Boar)
Find all of my reviews at: http://52bookminimum.blogspot.com/

3.5 Stars

Allow me to introduce you to my new boyfriend, Lester Ballard . . . .

Ha! Just kidding. There’s apparently even a limit to how weird I like ‘em. However, just in case you think Mitchell and I are slipping, please note that this title was added to the TBR once we discovered it was about a necrophile, which is basically our literary equivalent to . . . .

As I said before, the story here is about a man named Lester Ballard . .
Matt
Aug 28, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone that thinks the public school system is unimportant.
'Child of God' is the third McCarthy book that I have read over the past few weeks. I usually try to stay away from any kind of review or description of a book just prior to reading, but I had recently come across the fact that this was supposed to be McCarthy's darkest work.

Boy, I'll say.

This book will make you feel like you need a long shower afterwards. I believe that this was the same affect that Ellis was going for in 'American Psycho', but I think that McCarthy out-Batemaned him on this on
Play Book Tag: Child of God - Cormac McCarthy 4/5 6 18 Jul 25, 2017 04:01AM
Around the Year i...: Child of God, by Cormac McCarthy 1 10 May 17, 2017 06:18AM
The 12 Best Horror Books: Truly Terrifying Works of Fiction 3 35 Nov 23, 2015 05:33PM
Cormac McCarthy is disturbed 21 270 Aug 15, 2014 12:43PM
Film Adaptation trailer 3 38 Jan 23, 2014 11:19AM
Apocalypse Whenever: Cormac McCarthy Film Adaptation (Child of God) 9 71 Jan 22, 2014 01:53PM
On the Southern L...: Child of God, Initial impressions, November 2013 22 54 Nov 18, 2013 12:11PM
  • I Hate To See That Evening Sun Go Down: Collected Stories
  • Angels
  • The Violent Bear It Away
  • The Lime Twig
  • Knockemstiff
Cormac McCarthy is an American novelist and playwright. He has written ten novels in the Southern Gothic, western, and post-apocalyptic genres and has also written plays and screenplays. He received the Pulitzer Prize in 2007 for The Road, and his 2005 novel No Country for Old Men was adapted as a 2007 film of the same name, which won four Academy Awards, including Best Picture.

His earlier Blood M
More about Cormac McCarthy...
“At one time in the world there were woods that no one owned” 125 likes
“Each leaf that brushed his face deepened his sadness and dread. Each leaf he passed he'd never pass again. They rode over his face like veils, already some yellow, their veins like slender bones where the sun shone through them. He had resolved himself to ride on for he could not turn back and the world that day was as lovely as any day that ever was and he was riding to his death.” 39 likes