Start by marking “Gideon” as Want to Read:

3.79  ·  Rating details ·  815 Ratings  ·  83 Reviews
Gideon. An identity shrouded in mystery - the anonymous source who holds the key to an explosive secret. In a clandestine meeting, writer Carl Granville is hired to take the pages of an old diary, articles, letters, documents in which all proper names and locations have been blacked out - and turn them into compelling fiction. He will be paid a quarter of a million dollars ...more
Mass Market Paperback, 466 pages
Published June 6th 2000 by Ballantine Books (first published 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Gideon, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Gideon

May 09, 2015 rated it really liked it
Imagine that you're an aspirant author, and a well known editor accepts to publish your book, only there's a condition. You have to write another book based on old mysterious diaries with dates, names and places erased. Those diaries hold a dark secret. And then couple of weeks later, you wake up to find that your editor is dead and you're accused of her murder with two more murders. As you realize it's all about those diaries and the secret they hold, a chase across the country starts: you have ...more
Oct 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-2015
This book was a gripping page turner which was hard to put down. It is full of suspense that keeps you guessing until the very last page. It is a political intrigue that comes together in the end in a way that is unimaginable. This was an excellent debut and I look forward to reading the next one from Russell Andrews. I recommend this book to anyone who likes thrillers as it is a very good entertaining read.
Feb 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
oh where do I begin! the surprises? the shocks? the pain? Gideon took me to a whole new level on how Thrillers truly are , kept me awake and with each chapter i finish my curiosity grows. I have to say it's my number one thriller story after Dead simple by peter james
Lee Pletzers
May 25, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Russell Andrews
Warner Books
ISBN: 0751528900
©2000 Review of second edition

A struggling writer, Carl Granville, gets the opportunity of a lifetime. An editor offers to publish his books if he writes one special book for her. He has ghost written before and so (naturally) he accepts the project. There are stipulations and at first he finds them weird but gets used to them. He has a very limited time to get the book done. It’s time sensitive.

On the day he accepts, a new girl moved into the apa
Seizure Romero
Aug 27, 2007 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people I don't like.
...kinda fun bubblegum for the brain, but there are a few disbelief-threatening plot complications to keep the story going. Too much of that and you go directly from edge-of-the-seat tension to irritation & throwing the book across the room.
UPDATE/SPOILER ALERT: I slogged through to the end & this book blows. Pacing is off-- what is supposed to foreshadow and draw the reader further into the story seems more like random & pointless plot complication. Characters who manage to f**k up
Jul 04, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Carl Granville, an aspiring novelist, is introduced to the hottest agent in New York and she offers him the opportunity of a lifetime; to become an extremely well paid ghost writer for a new novel which, she claims, could change the course of history. There is, however a caveat; no one can know the true identity of the book’s author including Granville. His research material is delivered to him each day with all names and locations redacted and the courier waits until he’s finished with the orig ...more
Sep 07, 2013 rated it really liked it
What a great ride! So I stop at a tag sale near my house and didnt like the book selection. Talked to the owner for a while and bought this because I felt guilty.$1 and sat on my shelf for a week. Then I picked it up thinking Id read a few pages. Couple of days later and was really engaged. I LOVE when that happens. This was a great action, mystery, thriller. Some fun and at times REALLY surprising twists. the White the sleepy South where secrets are buried...this book read li ...more
Freda Malone
May 24, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Zanna Hugo
Apr 22, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sometimes all you want is a good old gripping story that you can escape to when you want to slip away from real life. No overly fancy plot twists or crazy literary feats, just a good story, well written. Two thumbs up.
Joseph Aul
Jan 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this book. It was on my shelf for a long time, and I finally decided to take a chance on it and read. It was a fast moving plot with twists and turns and a strong story. I really enjoyed it and felt that the characters fit in with the story and the plot. I strongly recommend.
Brian O'Leary
Oct 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this book, everything ties together in a great ending.
Mavis Hewitt
Jan 01, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: adventure
Good start, middle was rather predictable, some confusing chapters that switched people & location in the middle, ending improved it, probably to a 3.5
Jerry King
Jan 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
Jul 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: thriller, mystery
Gideon is a book that you hate to put down. I found myself drawn back to the book when I had spare time to read.
I’m looking at how I rated Kostova’s “the Historian” 3/5 and can’t possibly allow Gideon to make it to the 4/5 mark. In my opinion, both books are 4/5 material. Maybe “the Historian” more so.

“Gideon” is a thriller. It says so on the very front cover. Actually, my version is entitled “gideon: a thriller”.

If you’re not into suspense, mysteries, whodunit, etc. don’t bother with this book. Also, if you get easily annoyed with how far a writer will go in order to keep the element of surprise alive, a
Nov 10, 2016 rated it did not like it
Shelves: did-not-finish
I read the first half of this book purely because I'm currently in bed with a cold and wanted something non-challenging to distract me. I dropped it halfway through, after the mandatory awkward 1999 hacking scene was immediately followed by a still more uncomfortable scene in a gay bar -- in which the men who hit on an established character are described without pronouns and in clunky gender-neutral terms, to allow the shocking revelation that said character is interested in men. This was a move ...more
Aug 14, 2016 rated it it was ok
I'm known for being generous with my reviews. So, when I could not bring myself to give this book more than 2 stars... well, you can be damned sure the book was no good.

I'm sure most readers would still think my rating generous. But I awarded the two stars for the concept, which is what lured me in. Secretly ghost writing a novel based on real events that are shrouded in mystery? Everybody who knew the secret dying and leaving you to deal with the mess of being FBI's most wanted? Hell, yes.

And I
Apr 24, 2011 rated it it was ok
Shelves: thriller
Carl Granville, an author is hired to write a book. This book is different though, based on letters and diary entries, Carl is sworn to secrecy, the source material is brought to him every day and taken away again at night. The only name he has to go on is Gideon but it soon becomes clear that this is the story of someone very important and the sponsors of the novel are trying to expose them. Before long the action and adventure begins when Carl's publisher is killed and Carl finds himself on th ...more
Melissa Vicente
Sep 02, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I admit what really brought my interest to this book when I picked it up was the name. I just adore the name Gideon and thought "what they hell, I'll give it a read." What a read it was! This book is unlike anything I have read before and I was hooked instantly. I couldn't put it down and for good reason, the action never stops! Beginning, middle and end are all fast rides. Information and dramatic events at every turn of the page. It's remarkable how Andrews puts all the pieces of the puzzle to ...more
Jayne Thorold
Dec 01, 2015 rated it it was ok
My son had one of Russell Andrews books Midas, and I borrowed it a few years ago, read it and loved it. I then searched charity shops to find Gideon. Just before Christmas I finally found it. Read it, and was sorely disappointed.
I liked the two main characters fair enough, even though in someways their 'relationship' was a little far fetched. The plot however had so many holes that it would have lost a whale through its net let alone a red herring.
Whether it's because the book was written on
Pat Tedora
May 21, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Another oldie but goodie published in 1999. This a a WOW novel, enthralling, suspenseful and supremely entertaining, this book doesn't let up from the moment you read the Prologue until the very last page. This is a psychological thriller about a secret that can ruin lives, villains that seem invincible, the hero and heroine on the run from certain death, romance and betrayal. The story is about a down on his luck writer, Carl Granville, who is offered a lot of money by big time publisher to tur ...more
A mystery book that leaves its reader intrigued and interested, Gideon is a novel about a secret that lies within the government. Among a presidential election, a diary is found holding a past that the president hoped would never see the light of day. His past is revealed and his present is threatened causing him to commit suicide once he discovers who is behind this tedious plot to overthrow his power.
Gideon is an overwhelming book that makes its reader curious and gasp for breath until the ver
Feb 01, 2008 rated it really liked it
Being the narcissist that I am, I bought this book SOLELY because it had my name on it. I had no idea of the kind of story that was in it, I hadn't ever heard of the author, I just wanted a book named after me. Anyway, I read it a while ago, and I thought that the story was great. The whole mystery of the main character having to "ghost" a book, and what it could do to the people in it, I thought, was genius at the time I read it. It loses a star, because the character "Gideon," although central ...more
Jan 08, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Carl Granville is a young guy trying to make it as a writer and has had some success. Then he's hired to ghost write a novel based on a diary. And the money is fabulous. But the project soon gets way beyond weird. Professional killers are involved as well as high level politicians. The story is fast and furious and fascinating. If you've ever read and enjoyed Stephen Hunter, try this one out. If you haven't, try it anyway. Trust me.
Ada Uzoije
Aug 06, 2013 rated it it was amazing
It was 7 years ago I walked in into a charity shop looking for a second hand novel to read. I picked this book 'Gideon'. The book was full of suspense from the moment you read the first few paragraphs. The idea was solid and original. Russel Andrew did a fine job of creating characters that make you feel you are watching a live Hollywood blockbuster action movie. There is something about the author's writing style which made this novel one of my memorable best reads.
Oct 23, 2010 rated it really liked it
This book pretty much just threw me into the action. It did move quickly but i think that as complex as the plot was the book could of been a tad shorter. I did enjoy the twists that this story had to offer and it kept me turning page after page.

Although realistically I don't believe Carl would of survived in the "real world" with all that was going on. At times he irritated me but other times he surprised me.

I enjoyed it.
Oct 09, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: thrillers
Interesting story about a ghost writer who is asked to write a novel using only materials supplied to him by the client. At some point, he realizes there is something wrong in the whole scheme. When people start dying and he gets fingered for the crimes, his only choice is to run with a friend and try to unravel the threads of this convoluted scheme.

The story unfolds well, building suspense appropriately and the protagonists behave appropriately for their roles. I enjoyed the book.
Barbara ★
Carl was asked by a book publisher to ghost write a stunner of a book that will change the course of history. Now the editor is dead and Carl is on the run from the cops and the murderer who is trying to kill him. No one believes Carl's story and everyone he talks to ends up dead. Who can he turn to? This is really exciting and a clever mystery.
Feb 26, 2016 rated it really liked it
A sitting first-president is threatened by a fictional manuscript that reveals dark secrets from his childhood, and commits suicide when he realizes only one person could have leaked this information. The writer of the manuscript realizes he’s in jeopardy when his editor and several others are murdered, and sets out to identify the person or persons behind the plot. Very well-written.
Kyle Eveleth
Jan 09, 2011 rated it really liked it
The early goings felt a bit like Andrews was force-feeding emotion and doing much of the thinking for the reader, but once he got going and loosened up a bit things got better. The prose flowed a bit more evenly, and though the ride is bumpy--be prepared for unbelievably close escapes and some heavy-handed deus ex machina--it is enjoyable and certainly lives up to its thriller status.
  • The Broken Hearts Club
  • Exceptional Clearance
  • Riding The Snake
  • Silent Snow
  • The Gunfighters (The Old West, #8)
  • Murder Suicide (Frank Clevenger, #5)
  • The Girl of the Sea of Cortez
  • Too Many Ghosts
  • The Kings and Queens of England and Scotland
  • The Dorothy Dunnett Companion: Volume II
  • Ideas of the Great Philosophers
  • Path of Revenge (W.I.T.C.H. Chapter Books, #16)

Mystery & Thrillers Deals

• Fractured
  • Never Smile at Strangers
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Furious (Faith McMann Trilogy #1)
    $3.99 $2
  • Where Eagles Dare
  • Alone
    $17.99 $2.99
  • Moriarty (Sherlock Holmes, #2)
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Idaho
    $12.99 $1.99
  • Dead Letters
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Phantom (Alexander Hawke, #7)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Working Fire
    $3.99 $2.00
  • The Barkeep
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Blur  (Blur Trilogy #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Her Last Day (Jessie Cole, #1)
    $3.99 $2.00
  • Moving Day
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Man-Eater: The Life and Legend of an American Cannibal
  • Smoke
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Unrivaled (Beautiful Idols #1)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • Secrets of Southern Girls: A Novel
    $15.99 $1.99
  • Dorchester Terrace (Charlotte & Thomas Pitt, #27)
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Flower Net (Red Princess, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Grave Tender
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Ugly Young Thing (Strangers #2)
  • Before I Go to Sleep