Start by marking “Insect Detective” as Want to Read:
Insect Detective

Insect Detective

(Nature Storybooks)

Young readers will definitely catch the bug when they see this enticing, fact-filled invitation to explore the world of insects.

A Junior Library Guild Selection

Right now, all around us, thousands of insects are doing strange and wonderful things: wasps are building nests, ants are collecting food, and dragonflies are readying for the hunt. But it’s not always easy to catch
Published February 23rd 2010 by Candlewick Press

To ask other readers questions about Insect Detective, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Insect Detective

Nancy Jo Lambert
Aug 09, 2011 rated it really liked it
This book is a great example of expository writing. Informational writing with opinion and voice. The bug facts are interesting and they are woven throughout with science vocabulary and nice point of view. A solid nonfiction book that kids will really enjoy.
Ellie Labbett
Dec 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A lovely journey through the insect world, focusing on the various ways of life ranging from birth and socialising to building homes and camouflage. Voake and Voake invite the reader to become insect detectives themselves with small tips for finding insects in areas where they may often go unseen, along with methods for helping insects in need. A non-fiction text which I feel helps to build an appreciation for insects and their complex patterns of behaviour.
Caitrin
Feb 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: el-ed-340
I read this book for one of my informational books after it was mentioned in class. I thought that it was really interesting, but I loved how the information about the different insects was presented in a way that would be fun for kids to read.
Amanda
Mar 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Used with for a girl scout visit. Excellent illustrations and good information.
Lauri Meyers
Jun 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
Whimsical language and airy pencil and watercolor illustration bring you outside to look for insects.
Kelli Coombs
Jan 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Informational Category #1
Karen Hughes
Mar 26, 2014 rated it really liked it
What young child doesn’t love to search for creepy crawling bugs! The book, “Insect Detective” by Steve Voake, is a fascinating book for 1st or 2nd graders. It will give the readers fun and interesting facts about many different kinds of insects. This book would be a great introduction to a science unit on bugs.
I would pair this book with “Grasshopper on the Road” by Arnold Lobel. It is another fun story about a grasshopper on a journey who meets up with several of the insects discussed in the
Catey Steele
Nov 06, 2014 rated it really liked it
Insect Detective by Steve Voake is such a good example of an informational picture book. The tone that the author presents makes the information regarding the insects so much easier to understand. This book was about a young boy, who resembled Steve Voake as a young child, being a detective to determine different insects. Some of the most common insects like, ants, dragonflies, and wasps were mentioned. They were not just mentioned though, the author thoroughly explained important facts about ea ...more
Carol A.
Jun 16, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: primary-books
Audience: Primary
Genre: Informational Non-Fiction

Fiction Twin Text: Big Bug Surprise by Julia Gran

Insect Detective, written by Steve Voake, is the story of a little boy who loves insects and explores the great outdoors looking for them. Along the way, he expels facts about insects, such as their nesting, eating, and survival habits. At the end of the book, not only does the boy suggest that the reader go outside and take a look for himself, but several ideas are listed to help the reader get a c
Christina
Apr 04, 2013 rated it really liked it
4 1/2 stars

What a terrific book to awaken a child's interest in the insect world. Insect Dectective highlights a number of amazing facts about insects, starting with the vast number that exist. The story continues by introducing a few insects, how they live, and how we can observe them in the world around us. Wasps and bees are among some of the insects described, each in a way which makes them less fearsome. My favorite insect mentioned is the dragonfly. I have always been fascinated by them, b
Jim Erekson
May 13, 2013 rated it liked it
Enjoyable book with differentiated text. There is a read-aloud narrative in larger print, and a factual text vignette relevant to what the narrative is saying. The illustrations are very decorative and partly realistic. It could be a good experience for a read-aloud. I don't know that anyone would seek it out for facts on insects, because the outline knowledge presented is very basic. I would say almost any insect topic book, or internet page would have these facts.

The read-aloud narrative is t
Margaret Chind
This book is fabulous and fascinating. It is perfect for us right now as everything is coming out to play and AppleBlossom is constantly asking what is this and that. While this is above her reading level, it is a great read aloud. She will even go back and stare while flipping the pages and telling me what is what that she sees within. While I would prefer that she not grow up to specialize in bugs and insects, this is a very interesting child's read. So many facts and quite enjoyable. This boo ...more
Sep 18, 2011 rated it really liked it
A lovely book! Insect Detective gives information about insects and explains to readers how to find insects close to home. It's almost multi-genre (think Snowflake Bentley but the narrative and illustrations present factual informative.

Recommended for students in grades 2 - 3, older and younger students may also enjoy and appreciate this book. My only reservation is that I grew up in Florida and this book would NOT have been a super choice for where I lived. I now live in Maryland and we have t
Linda
Need a sweet and pretty book that introduces insects to your younger students or children? This is a good choice, and younger readers should be able to read it for themselves. It begins: "Right now, all around you, though sands of insects are doing strange and wonderful things. But you can't always see them right away. Sometimes you have to know where to look." The story shows some of the places and how to find both small, hiding, and camouflaged insects, how they live and what they are like. B ...more
Michael Moriarty
Jun 21, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Audience: K - 2nd Grade. Teachers introducing science.

Appeal: Great for bringing out the appel of bugs, especially for boys (oh but girls like them too!) Very detailed pictures of different types of insects and their characteristics drawn in large, warm colors. Good list of projects in the back of the book. Helps to show the difference between insects and other bugs. Presented in a way to help kids identify what is crawling or flying around their own yards.

Awards: School Library Journal 2010 Non
Betsy
Jul 03, 2013 rated it really liked it
4.5 stars really...

This is a great choice for new readers. There are two types of text/stories running through the book: big font is the more chatty information about the insect world (like a child might describe) while smaller font on each page gives more scientific/factual information about the same insect. I love the illustrations in this--not "realistic" like so many science books, but they are well done and accurate nonetheless.

End matter includes directions for being an insect detective (f
Dolly
May 05, 2010 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
This is a wonderful book about exploring the world of nature around you and observing the critters you see. It's a factual book on insects, but feels like a srory, too. The illustrations are soft watercolors, and the scene are fun to look at and point out what you see. There are interesting tidbits about various insects and we learned a little about each (who knew earwigs were good moms?) There's also a bunch of very doable projects for kids in the back that will help them investigate insects to ...more
Willa
Jun 19, 2012 rated it really liked it
Audience: K-Grade 3 Nature Lovers
Award: one of School Library Journal's 2010 Best Nonfiction Books
Appeal: This nonfiction book about insects looks like a picture book so it is very non-intimidating for young children. It discusses insects and aspects of insects that kids easily can observe. I especially liked the appendix in the back of the book that lists activates for further investigation of insects. It also includes a small index.
Katie Williams
Insect Detective is a book about exploring nature and what can be found in it. More specifically, exploring insects and their different habits. A good book to expand students' knowledge on scientific thinking and how to observe and experiment. The class could take a trip outside, bringing a notebook with them, and take notes and they discover the word around them. What do you see? What's happening? Why do you think that is happening? etc.
Diana Hanke
Sep 08, 2010 rated it really liked it
This book has beautiful illustrations. It walks readers through the world of insects and presents interesting facts about those featured. It gives different perspectives on insects and will generate excitement among youngsters through the "insect detective" section which presents different ways to discover the world of the insect.
Heather
We read this for part of our Lightning Lit program. The little boys (ages 10 and 7) really liked it. It's a fun way to learn about insects and how to find them. Perhaps not the best book about the subject, but a very nice one. The illustrations were very lovely, but sometimes you want to see an actual picture of one in order to help you identify it so we looked them up online later.
Bree
Apr 27, 2014 rated it did not like it
Notes:
this book would have worked better as a story not a non-fiction type book; art is too vague and scribbly and light-colored to have great kid appeal; my kids thought this book was boring and prefer looking at field guides filled with real-life photos
Robin
Mar 15, 2011 rated it really liked it
Ilustrated in Charlotte Voake's usual appealing pen and watercolor style, with large print, lots of space in between, and other details in smaller print. Very accessible. Great for encouraging children to look closely and explore the outdoors.
Zayneea
Oct 28, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very cute illustrations with a story which teaches children a little bit about insects - wasp, ant, bee, moth, caterpillar, earwig, beetle, and dragonfly.

Love the overall message at the end too " all you have to do is open the soor and step outside. "
Liz
Jun 18, 2012 rated it liked it
Audience: PreK - 2nd, kids that are interested in insects
Appeal: Watercolor pictures, easy reading, facts written in narrative form. Not good for research, but appealing to children that want to learn more about their environment.
Awards: School Library Journal: Best Non-fiction 2010
Sara
Jan 05, 2015 rated it really liked it
This is a great book to introduce children to insects. It focuses on a few insects and some of their characteristics. My child loves bugs. He loved learning about how wasps make their paper nests and dragonflies begin life in water. Very cool.
Jess
Dec 04, 2011 rated it really liked it
Interesting and well-done. I wish more kids would check it out. The watercolor illustrations are grand, but they don't pull the kids in like the bright, vivid photographed covers sitting next to this on the shelf.
Katherine
Jun 21, 2012 rated it really liked it
Audience: K-3rd, Insect Intrigue

Appeal: Pastel pictures make insects less threatening. Great to help kids with insect fears learn about bugs. Written in a curious and gentle way. Includes projects to make it easier to study insects.

Award: School Library Journal Best Books- 2010
Sara Vaughn
Jun 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This is a must read for children who love exploring the outdoor world!
Heather
Sep 13, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Scientifically sound but with pictures that border on the whimsical. Really quite attractive and informative.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • Yucky Worms
  • Summer Birds: The Butterflies of Maria Merian
  • Under the Snow
  • Growing Patterns: Fibonacci Numbers in Nature
  • Pierre the Penguin: A True Story
  • An Egg Is Quiet
  • Time to Eat
  • Life-Size Zoo: From Tiny Rodents to Gigantic Elephants, An Actual Size Animal Encyclopedia
  • Living Sunlight: How Plants Bring The Earth To Life
  • Once Upon a Twice (Picture Book)
  • Redwoods
  • Ubiquitous: Celebrating Nature's Survivors
  • The Mangrove Tree: Planting Trees to Feed Families
  • How a Book Is Made
  • Weeds Find a Way
  • Elsie's Bird
  • Fletcher and the Springtime Blossoms
  • Harris Finds His Feet
Steve Voake is the author of all the Daisy Dawson books, as well as two novels for older readers. He lives in Somerset, England.

Nature Storybooks (1 - 10 of 25 books)
  • White Owl, Barn Owl