Start by marking “Termination Dust (Alex Jensen / Jessie Arnold, #2)” as Want to Read:
Termination Dust (Alex Jensen / Jessie Arnold, #2)

Termination Dust (Alex Jensen & Jessie Arnold #2)

3.95  ·  Rating details ·  695 Ratings  ·  50 Reviews
The virgin landscape along the Yukon River has hardly changed since the gold rush began in 1897. Frostbiting winds slice the rugged terrain, and, like a shroud, the first dusting of snow covers the low hills. Braving thick snow on the Top of the World Highway--where one slip could mean a fall down thousands a cold-blooded killer. His only witness is Jim Hampton, a rugged c ...more
Published May 1st 1996 by Avon Books (first published May 1995)

To ask other readers questions about Termination Dust, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Termination Dust

The Call of the Wild by Jack LondonInto the Wild by Jon KrakauerWhite Fang by Jack LondonAlaska and Back by Dorothy May MercerAlaska by James A. Michener
Alaska Tales
235 books — 194 voters
Smilla's Sense of Snow by Peter HøegThe Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe by C.S. LewisThe Call of the Wild by Jack LondonWhite Fang by Jack LondonThe Girl with the Dragon Tattoo by Stieg Larsson
Ice and Snow
500 books — 137 voters

More lists with this book...

Susan
Sep 23, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: mysteries
This book started out really exciting and the author wrote a wonderful sense of place (Canada/Alaska). I could feel the chill of the wind and snow and the warmth of the campfires.

However, toward the middle and last third I felt the author dragged the story. The dialogue seemed to go on without adding to the story and the pacing was just too slow. I also found I had a hard time keeping the cast of characters straight and the resolution of the mystery was way too convoluted for my taste.

This sto
Mohamedridha Alaskari محمد رضا العسكري
Alaska is a great place to visit...
And
A bad place to die!
Kristen
Nov 06, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: serial-mystery, 2016
In Sue Henry's Termination Dust, the second installment in the Alex Jensen/Jessie Arnold serial mystery series, this gripping mystery brought forth a hint of mystery from the past into the present. It all started, when Jim Hampton, a tourist from Colorado, visits Alaska on a trek to discover a skeleton with bones and a journal of Addison Riser, a gold prospector during the rush in 1897. From there, he's been concussed and set up for murder, when Alex Jensen from Anchorage and Charles Delafosse f ...more
Terri
Jul 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
I am enjoying this series!
Loraine
Sep 17, 2016 rated it really liked it
Jim Hampton's Yukon vacation takes a turn for the worse when he discovers a prospector's diary from the 1800s. And it dies when the rugged outdoorsman is arrested for the gruesome slaying of a controversial ex-Senator. But Alex Jensen isn't convinced of Hampton's guilt. And the dedicated state trooper is ready to track the bitter truth through the treacherous snows of the Yukon wilderness—and in the pages of a mysterious, hundred-year-old journal, which describes crimes remarkably similar... and ...more
Debbie Stone
Mar 02, 2015 rated it liked it
This is the 2nd in the series by Sue Henry (the first was Murder on the Iditarod Trail)

One of the reasons I read series mysteries is because of the sense of place.
I love that feeling of 'being there' and getting to know the setting. You can really feel the author's love for where the story is set and I appreciate that so much--the love of place. It makes me love it a little bit even tho I've usually never been there, to where the story takes place.
I truly feel this in Arnold's books-- her lov
Alton Motobu
Oct 11, 2016 rated it liked it
Starts out as a story within a story as Hampton discovers a century-old journal of a Klondike gold miner describing the arduous trip up from the coast and ending in an apparent murder and frame-up in Dawson. Events in the journal seem to parallel Hampton's experiences, including a double murder and apparent cover-up, and the descendants of the people described in the journal seem to be involved. Many suspects turn up, including one poor schmuck who nearly kills Hampton, but ends up almost dead h ...more
Kimberly
Jan 06, 2015 rated it really liked it
I love Sue Henry. She is a wonderful author and I wish she would continue to write but she hasn't since 2010.
This is book 2 in the Jessie Arnold series. Taking place in the beautiful Alaskan and Canadian wildernesses.

A man on his Yukon vacation discovers a diary written in the 1800's. Soon after finding it things go hay-wire. The diary and the present have a few things in common.

I enjoyed the past and present inner-meshed in this and in any story that is able to pull that off in such an eloque
Nancy H
Nov 22, 2016 rated it liked it
When Jim Hampton decides to go on a long canoe trip in the Alaskan wilderness, he doesn't even think that he will be shot at, hit over the head, knocked unconscious, and after all that, looked at as a suspect for the murder of an ex-Senator. Jim's trip starts out very well, and becomes even more interesting when he discovers the diary and the bones of a long-dead prospector. But after that, things go down hill for him, until the police decide he couldn't have done the murders (now there are two) ...more
Beth
Nov 26, 2012 rated it it was ok
I thought the first 2 or so chapters were really interesting. I enjoyed the jusxtipostion of modern times and the finding of a journal over 100 years ago about a man's experience during the gold rush but things went downhill from there.

The mystery was really complicated with too many characters and suspects. I found it unreal that the mounty and police officer would befriend one of the suspects, take him out to eat, include him in the investigation etc. when they were not totally sure that he h
Gerry
Jun 05, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Cool concept!
Starts with the death of someone in the Gold Rush.
Then of course comes the mystery in current times. And part of the mystery is the connection to this death so long ago!
There's a cool diary at the end of the story.
I learned a lot of history of the gold rush. I'd never really thought about what the details of that were. It was just a time in history when people went to Alaska to discover gold. Very interesting. And there is a museum here in Seattle about it. I must check this out.
ht
Mark
Nov 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book and read it extremely rapidly...during commercials, while watching football, in bed at night. The juxtaposition of an old story from a hundred years ago which feeds into the current murder mystery was well done. I learned quite a bit about the Yukon gold rush. The hardships people went through in the pursuit of a better life...wow. The stupid bone-headed decisions based on faulty knowledge and personal arrogance makes one just shake their head. I want more Henry mysteries...gre ...more
Lena Jo
Oct 27, 2013 rated it really liked it
Oh yeah. I love Sue Henry and can't get enough of her work. I probably would have given this a five star rating but I wanted more of my musher Jessie in the book!! As usual Henry takes you to Alaska and makes you feel the bite of cold and the merry chase of many suspects and one killer. This book also has a great flow of new and old history - that didn't seem like a lesson! As usual this book goes on the shelf at work as a "Staff Recommendation!" For a cozy day on the couch with a glass of James ...more
Elaine
Aug 17, 2010 rated it really liked it
Termination Dust is the term for the first snow fall in Alaska used by the sourdoughs ( miners) and marked the beginning of the end of the gold digging season. I enjoyed this book as much as the Iditatrod mysteries by Sue HEnry. This was two stories intertwined around the city of Dawson, Alaska. One in the early 1930's during the Gold Rush, and the other in contemporary Dawson. Sue Henry did a great job of tying them into a single narrative. WOuld like to go back to this part of Alaska. Missed i ...more
Cita Zelenak
Amazing, interesting and believably real.

After taking a cruise to Alaska this past May. It was nice to get some history about the area. The description of their journey and the tours we took on land brought so much more meaning to our trip. I felt like I was their making the journeys. I also enjoy watching Alaska State Troopers and North Woods Law Maine Troopers. It's amazing how people live in far northern corners.
Alannah Davis
Jun 07, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Definitely one of the most irresistible mysteries I've read in a long time. The story hooked me immediately with the opening chapter, which focused on a miner during the Gold Rush in the late 1800s. After that tantalizing hook, the story skips to the present day with an equally intriguing mystery. The past and present intertwine, and it all adds up to a story so good that I spent the weekend doing little else but reading it. Five great big stars!
Kathryn
Apr 08, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: mysteries
I enjoyed Termination Dust, the second Alex Jensen/Jessie Arnold mystery. Although the writing is a little uneven, the characters are interesting and I like the bits of Alaska folklore and history woven into each story. I do wish the story moved along more quickly, it seems as if the plot gets stuck in some places, with a few too many twists and turns bogging it down. That being said, I look forward to the next book in the series.
Barbara
May 28, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2014-read, mystery
I enjoyed Termination Dust, the second Alex Jensen/Jessie Arnold mystery. I find the non criminal characters very likable. As with the first book, I like the Alaska story lines mixed with history. If you don't know the history of the Klondike gold rush, this is an interesting story.

I thought this story moved slowly and with too many characters that didn't have enough backstory.

I'm willing to give the series another try.
Jack
Aug 26, 2010 rated it it was ok
Shelves: alaska
I read this out of order (it is 2, but I read 3 already) and I liked it. Not as much as 3, that was my favorite in the series so far. The order of this particular story did not mater at all. I liked this entry for the backround on gold mining and the Yukon. The way the author concocted the story around the old miner's journal was very good. Alex working along side a Canadian Mountie was an extra added story line. Good but not great.
Jan
Feb 04, 2008 rated it really liked it
An engrossing mystery set in the Yukon in the late 1800s during the gold rush and athen in present day. Glimpses into the past are seen thru one prospector's diary which was found, with his bones, by a present day traveler. While it moved a little slow, vivid descriptions of the rawness of this country and the well developed characters make it well worth reading.
Jupie
Aug 10, 2010 rated it liked it
Murder mystery with many twists and turns. I learned a lot about the gold miners that went to the Klondike to make a fortune. Author is a favorite of mine. She took an imaginary journal of a miner in 1897 who died and they mystery was both from that time and another one in the present. They were woven together with great skill. Can't wait to read another of her Alaskan mysteries.
Sandy
Jul 14, 2013 rated it really liked it
Jim Hampton is canoeing down a river in Alaska when he comes across some old bones and a journal. Before he can get to his destination he is hijacked and left for dead. He is found by police but they think he may have committed a murder or two and he now must try and prove he is not the killer. There was some history of the Dawson area and the gold rush but not much.
Siina Morin
Jan 29, 2016 rated it did not like it
Sorry Sue Henry...this one was just to dry for me to stick with. I didn't finish it, sad to say. I really enjoy her books and the way she paints a lovely picture of the country, while at the same time embroils you in a good mystery. This novel just came short of exciting for me.
Mary
Mar 17, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery
It took me a bit to get into this book. It starts with the recounting of a man during the Gold Rush of 1897. The main character doesn't appear until a ways into the story. But it was a good mystery and well told.
Ann
Sep 11, 2009 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: mystery and Alaska buffs
Recommended to Ann by: Leila
An outdoorsman traveling down an Alaskan river finds a prosspector's diary from the 1800. The story takes place back and forth between the 1800 and current year, between early life of Alaska and a myrder mytery.
Molly Franks
Aug 21, 2007 rated it liked it
Pretty good book. A lot of history about the Alaskan gold rush and a death / murder in 1897 that appears in 1997 as part of another murder. Made me super cold reading it so was a great read in 90+ southern temps.
Jeanette
May 25, 2012 rated it really liked it
This was the 2nd book in a series of Alex Jensen. It was a good read with likable characters.
John
Jul 05, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Pretty bad except for redeeming value of interspersing journal written around 1900 with current murder mystery.
Dorothy Stout
Jun 17, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I really like this series.
Trish
Aug 26, 2008 rated it liked it
Shelves: crime-procedural
Second in the 'Jessie Arnold' series of Alaska mysteries, although this one is primarily about Alex Jensen, her Alaskan State Trooper boyfriend. A good mix of modern murder and goldrush mystery.
  • So Sure Of Death (Liam Campbell, #2)
  • Raising Ourselves: A Gwitch'in Coming of Age Story from the Yukon River
  • Murder Walks the Plank (Death on Demand, #15)
  • Murder in the Red Room (Eleanor Roosevelt, #10)
  • A Bloodhound To Die For
  • Thief of Souls
  • Family Patterns (Patchwork, #1)
Sue Henry is the author of six novels in her award-winning Alaska mystery series: Murder on the Iditarod Trail, Termination Dust, Sleeping Lady, Death Takes Passage, Deadfall, and Murder on the Yukon Quest. She has lived in Alaska for almost aquarter of a century, and brings history, Alaskan lore, and the majestic beauty of the vast landscape to her mysteries. Based in Anchorage, where she teaches ...more
More about Sue Henry...

Alex Jensen & Jessie Arnold (1 - 10 of 13 books)
  • Murder on the Iditarod Trail (Alex Jensen / Jessie Arnold, #1)
  • Sleeping Lady (Alex Jensen / Jessie Arnold, #3)
  • Death Takes Passage (Alex Jensen / Jessie Arnold, #4)
  • Deadfall (Alex Jensen / Jessie Arnold, #5)
  • Murder on the Yukon Quest (Alex Jensen / Jessie Arnold, #6)
  • Beneath the Ashes (Alex Jensen / Jessie Arnold, #7)
  • Dead North (Alex Jensen / Jessie Arnold, #8)
  • Cold Company (Alex Jensen / Jessie Arnold, #9)
  • Death Trap (Alex Jensen / Jessie Arnold, #10)
  • Murder at Five Finger Light (Alex Jensen / Jessie Arnold, #11)