Start by marking “Les Chants de Maldoror” as Want to Read:
Les Chants de Maldoror

Les Chants de Maldoror

4.19  ·  Rating details ·  2,669 Ratings  ·  153 Reviews
Plut au ciel que le lecteur, enhardi et devenu momentanement feroce comme ce qu'il lit, trouve, sans se desorienter, son chemin abrupt et sauvage, a travers les marecages desoles de ces pages sombres et pleines de poison; car, a moins qu'il n'apporte dans sa lecture une logique rigoureuse et une tension d'esprit egale au moins a sa defiance, les emanations mortelles de ce ...more
Published April 21st 2010 by Ebookslib (first published 1869)

To ask other readers questions about Les Chants de Maldoror, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Les Chants de Maldoror

Alexander Akyna
1) Before reading Rimbaud I thought I would see fireworks; the problem was that I had read Lautréamont first.
(Michel Houellebecq)

2) After reading the last part of "Les Chants de Maldoror" I thought of giving up literature due to embarrassment of my own literary achievements.
(André Gide [in a diary entry, in 1905])

3) Lautréamont has been the biggest influence on my writing career. My books are toys for adults who have read Lautréamont.
(César Aira)

This book embraces both classical rules of art
Sinem A.
Feb 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
kötülük ve iyilik hakkında ortalama fikre sahip kişilerin uzak durması gereken ama okyanusun abislerinde kaybolmayı sevenlerin unutmaması gereken eserler bütünü.
Capsguy
Jan 23, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Well wasn't that a ride, boys and girls?

Maldoror is a trip, and what a trip it is.

Being 20, I enjoyed the adolescent tone and nature of this prose poem, however I can see how other readers may view it as nothing more than grotesque random scenes with at times almost incoherent babbling.

The lack of central plot, and disjointed style of the story often led me to be confused, but I don't think that is necessarily a bad thing. I appreciate when others try to take a step out of the contemporary novel
[P]
Dec 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: bitchin
If you have been following my reviews for any length of time you will be aware that there are many things of which I am afraid. Spiders! Fatherhood! Demonic possession! Death! Yet it is increasingly the shark that haunts my mind like he haunts the sea, silently slicing through the darkness until he is upon me, intent on ripping out my throat! He is a ghoul, shaped like a knife-blade. He is swift and agile madness, with the skin of an elephant and teeth like the sharpest shards of glass. How feeb ...more
Nathan "N.R." Gaddis
The beginning of Canto the First ::
“May it please Heaven that the reader, emboldened and become of a sudden momentarily ferocious like what he is reading, may trace in safety his pathway through the desolate morass of these gloomy and poisonous pages. For unless he is able to bring to his reading a rigorous logic and a spiritual tension equal at least to his distrust, the deadly emanations of this book will imbibe his soul as sugar absorbs water.”

The beginning of Canto the Second ::
“What has bee
Lio
Oct 11, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
في رحلة لاكتشاف الذات، أبحث أنا أيضاً عن كائنات تشبهني، لوتريامون ليس كئيباً للحد الذي يدعون، ليس قبيحاً للحدّ الذي يصفون.. لوتريامون يصف معشار القبح الذي يزيّن وجه هذه اﻷرض لوتريامون يكتب عن أولئك الذي يبحثون بمشقّة عن النوم في سنيّ عمرهم الطوال ولا يجدونه!.. في النشيد الخامس - المقطع الثالث لا أبحث عن شيء أجدني هناك مباشرة.. فقط أجدني هناك.. أجِدُّ السير أصل إلى فقط أنه لا يلزمني شيء إلا كائنات تشبهني..
كلما أحسست بالوحدة جلسته معه!.. توحّدتُ معه..
Šarlo
Aug 26, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"The wish to be a pig is a desperation arising from the inability to be human."
- Sreten Marić on Les Chants de Maldoror

The six chants of Maldoror are an untouchable literal success through the scopes of dadaist and surrealist intention and Lautréamont's personal artistic catharsis. It might be a somewhat subjective and unprofessional thing to say, but I am certain that the writing process was exhilarating, and it could not have been so had it not been "burdened" by its classic form, since Ducass
Andrew
Good god. Or as Lautreamont would put it, bad god.

Sometimes you fuck sharks after shipwrecks. Other times you get your jollies squeezing out the skulls of small children. Oh, and some hedgehogs hollowed out your scrote and live there now. Etc etc etc. When Lautreamont was a young man, he wrote some wild-ass surrealist shit that went on to inspire countless legions in France as well as a fair number of punk-rock types in the Anglosphere. It's not haunting, transcendent genius or anything like tha
Aslı Can
Klasik edebiyata ve edebiyatçılara bir isyan bayrağı niyetine yazılmış bir kitap. Yazar olarak kendisini ve okuyucuyu sınamak, sürekli ve sürekli zora koşmak isteyen bir hali var.

"Acıların ürünü olan ve artık acı olmaktan çıkmış deneyimleri akrtarın yalnız okuyucularınıza yalnızca. Herkesin önünde ağlamayın. Yazınsal güzellikleri söküp çıkarmayı bilmek gerek ölümün bağrında bile olsa: ama ölüme ilişkin olmayacak bu güzellikler."

Arada bir metni ele geçiren uzun cümleler metne hakim olan coşkulu
Hadrian
Jun 06, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: french, poetry, favorites
A fierce and poisonous bit of stuff. I appreciate his youth and honesty in retelling all this.
  • Là-Bas (Down There)
  • Thomas the Obscure
  • Complete Poems
  • The Flight of Icarus
  • Marius the Epicurean
  • Some Experiences of an Irish R.M.
  • Blue of Noon
Comte de Lautréamont (French pronunciation: [lotʁeaˈmɔ]) was the pseudonym of Isidore Lucien Ducasse, an Uruguayan-born French poet.

His only works, Les Chants de Maldoror and Poésies, had a major influence on modern literature, particularly on the Surrealists and the Situationists. Les Chants de Maldoror is often described as the first surrealist book. He died at the young age of 24 years old.
More about Comte de Lautréamont...
“Farewell until eternity, where you and I shall not find ourselves together.” 59 likes
“After some hours, the dogs, exhausted by running round, almost dead, their tongues hanging out, set upon one another and, not knowing what they are doing, tear one another into thousands of pieces with incredible rapidity. Yet they do not do this out of cruelty.

One day, a glazed look in her eyes, my mother said to me: ‘When you are in bed and you hear the barking of the dogs in the countryside, hide beneath your blanket, but do not deride what they do: they have an insatiable thirst for the infinite, as you, and I, and all other pale, long-faced human beings do.’

Since that time, I have respected the dead woman’s wish. Like those dogs I feel the need for the infinite. I cannot, cannot satisfy this need. I am the son of a man and a woman, from what I have been told.

This astonishes me…I believed I was something more.”
21 likes