Start by marking “Asking for Trouble (London Confidential, #1)” as Want to Read:
Asking for Trouble (London Confidential, #1)

Asking for Trouble

(London Confidential #1)

When her family moves to London, 15-year-old Savvy Smith has to make her way in a new school and a new country. She just knows the school newspaper is the right place for her, but she doesn't have the required experience, and the cute editor-in-chief isn't looking for someone to train. She has to come up with a way to prove herself and nab the one available position on the ...more
Mass Market Paperback, 266 pages
Published April 1st 2010 by Tyndale

To ask other readers questions about Asking for Trouble, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Asking for Trouble

Start your review of Asking for Trouble (London Confidential, #1)
Tarissa
Jul 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I love this book probably more than I expected. A teenage American girl has just made the move to England with her family. She's ready to embrace all new experiences and see where God points her in this new country that has fantastic accents and fashion. Her heart (and circumstances) are leading her to the school newspaper, even though there doesn't seem to be a place for her there.

What I like? The spiritual content makes for quality, godly fiction for teen girls to be reading. Savannah's faith
Melissa (LifeFullyBooked)
Very cute series from Sandra Byrd, perfect for the tween/YA audience. Savvy moves to London and tries to get on the newspaper staff. Excellent faith content for Christian readers.
Gabs {My Full Bookshelf Reviews}
Savvy is trying to adjust to moving to England, where she is very lonely. She hopes that working on her high school newspaper will help her make friends, but she is just the delivery girl. Savvy turns to God through her troubles.

This book takes place in England. That alone made me want to pick up the book. And when I did, I wasn't disappointed. I really did enjoy it. I could relate to Savvy trying to adjust and knew what she was going through when she was sad that her old friends had moved on. S
תניה
Dec 27, 2012 rated it did not like it
First impressions:

#1 it is incredibly clear that the author is most definitely not British, because she has simply transplanted an American high school set up i.e. there are no clear "geek" "drama freaks" "punks" groups in the "cafeteria" and I've never heard of a "losers' table" in my school years (and I attended an all girls religious school, which are the order of the day in the UK) and British secondary schools (high school) don't tend to have a student-run school paper, that's more of a un
Mikayla
Feb 08, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a really cute book. I loved the light message, with good advice that can be applied to real life without coming on to strong.
Savvy was a relatable character, with struggles even I, a homeschooling girl, could relate to. I loved that she (view spoiler)
Raechel Lenore
Sep 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-in-2016
This was very good! Geared for a bit younger than me, but I still enjoyed it, and am looking forward to starting the next book!
Great book for young teens (and old too for that matter), with good, godly lessons woven gently throughout. :)
This book was very cute and I would highly recommend it for teens. Unlike most things written for teens, this was very clean, not about romance, and not over dramatic. Savannah/Savy is a nice American girl that finds herself in London.
If you are tired of the normal books for teens where everything is about romance and drama, this is a great pick.
Ashley Johnson
Jun 13, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was super cute and entertaining! Perfect easy reading with just the right amount of humor and characters that are easy to like! The story moved at a great pace and I thought it offered some great spiritual reminders while not being cheesy. Definitely recommend for teens or if you are looking for a fun and easy read!!!
Lindsey (Books for Christian Girls)
About this book:

“When her family moves to London, 15-year-old Savvy Smith has to make her way in a new school and a new country. She just knows the school newspaper is the right place for her, but she doesn't have the required experience, and the cute editor-in-chief isn't looking for someone to train. She has to come up with a way to prove herself and nab the one available position on the newspaper staff at Wexburg Academy.”

Series: Book #1 in the “London Confidential” series.

Spiritual Content-
Sally
Mar 24, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fiction
Ever wonder what it would be like as a teen if your family moved to Great Britain? Sandra Byrd, the author of the 4-book London Confidential series, takes the reader on such a venture in her newest tween/teen novels. Asking for Trouble and its sequel, Through Thick & Thin introduce 15-year-old Savannah Smith (Savvy for short) from Seattle, Washington whose family relocates “across the pond.”

Amidst adjusting, Savvy has a heart to please God, which makes these stories genuine page-turners. How far
CatherineMorland
I wanted to like this book, I really did. I'm also a writer, I also moved to a completely new country at a young age, I also know what's it like to not fit in and be lonely. But Asking for Trouble fell flat in so many ways and I couldn't relate to it.

The entire book just seemed silly to me. An immature heroine, multiple cliches (the hot school editor. Check! The popular mean girls. Check! Stereotypical English behavior--I'm pretty sure people don't say chockabloc as often as the author suggests-
Mandy J. Hoffman
Mar 25, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction, blog-reviews
BOOK OVERVIEW:

When her family moves to London, 15-year-old Savvy Smith has to make her way in a new school and a new country. She just knows the school newspaper is the right place for her, but she doesn’t have the required experience, and the cute editor-in-chief is not looking to train anyone. She has to come up with a way to prove herself and nab the one available position on the newspaper staff at Wexburg Academy.
London Confidential is a new series where British fashion, friendships, and guy
Crystal
Mar 12, 2010 rated it really liked it
This is an adorable book about 15-year-old Savvy Smith whose family has moved to a village outside of London during her high school years where they all pretty much have to start over. The book shows that starting over isn't easy, whether it's for Savvy, her mom, her little sister or even for her dad. It's very entertaining and I love Savvy's outlook on things. She never gets too down and in her times of deepest need she turns to the Bible and to God in a very realistic way.

I also felt this book
April Nichole
Mar 15, 2010 rated it really liked it
This was a really cute story of Savannah (Savvy) trying to find her place in not just a new school but on a new continent. Her dad has gotten a new job and it is a hard adjustment for the whole family.
The story is told through Savvy’s POV. I like how Sandra Byrd was able to incorporate good life lessons for the readers through the things that Savvy went through and the scripture that Savvy used.
The characters are pretty likeable. It was cool to see some of the words that they really would use in
Bluerose's  Heart
Jun 17, 2011 rated it it was amazing
In my teen years I read lots of Sweet Valley High books. I don't think there's anything wrong with them, but I do wish I had known of books like these! I would have gotten so much more out of them, along with just having fun reading. I would have been more encouraged to read of other teen girls praying and studying their Bible. I did have encouragement in other ways, but my reading material could have been better.

Asking for Trouble is definitely geared towards teen/tween readers, but I had fun r
Casey
Mar 05, 2010 rated it really liked it
I don’t usually read YA, but I was pleasantly surprised with ASKING FOR TROUBLE.
Savvy Smith has just moved to London with her family and feels totally out of place. Vying for a spot on the school newspaper, she finally lands it- as the delivery person. Will she get the column she craves and a place with friends?
What I enjoyed about this book, was it doesn’t have the typical teen talk that just makes them sound like “cool” is the only word in their vocabulary. Savvy is a sensitive person, with a
Reading Vacation
Mar 09, 2011 rated it really liked it
REVIEW

This adorable series was quick and fun to read. Savvy is the type of teen girl that I hope to be like. She is spunky, funny, and she never gives up. Savvy is a great role model for other girls to follow and I could relate to her.

There is plenty of London-speak in these books, and I could tell that Sandra Byrd had done her homework. The setting is so different from the United States, and I liked reading about Savvy’s school.

The plot moves nicely from one book to the other as Savvy adjusts
MeghanM
Jan 10, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2013-2014
Asking for Trouble was a great book. Sandra Byrd did a great job on letting the readers know how Savvy was feeling. You could really feel how desperately she wanted a friend. You could also feel how badly she want to be able to write in the school newspaper.

Savvy and her family had just moved to England from Settle. None of the members of her family was having a easy time fitting in or making friends, but for Savvy worst of all they couldn't find a new Church. Take a trip with Savvy and find ou
JenniferJ
Jan 10, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kindle, young-adult
I really liked this one more than I thought I would not to mention how many cool variations on words that we say here in America that are something different there. I got so tickled at some of Savannah's mistakes like when she was asked if she had trainers for the track team and she thought it kind of odd they were so serious about their sport when in fact they were asking her if she had tennis shoes. LOL It just was very interesting as well as entertaining to read.

There were a few parts that I
Books
Dec 20, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviewed-2014
The first thought I had after finishing this sweet little read was how good it made me feel. It’s so unpretentious and full of sincerity. That’s something I rarely find with the characters in self-published books. Anyway, I loved everything about this novel. I especially liked the differences between the American and British way of living, which the main character kept highlighting. It was informative. My heart went out to Savvy and her family for how much they struggled to adapt to English life ...more
Melissa
Although I'm not in the target audience, I still, for the most part, enjoyed reading Asking for Trouble.
I thought it had some good messages - i.e. to be yourself.

There are a lot of British terms used throughout the book like "dustbins" (garbage cans), "the post" (the mail), and "Cheerio". Although I've never been to London, I find it hard to imagine teenagers saying things like "Cheerio" and "Jolly"!

Overall, I thought Asking For Trouble was a fun, easy read that I think most preteens and young
Janet
Aug 09, 2014 rated it it was ok
This is a cute young adult book about Savvy Smith who's family has just moved to London.

It's about adjustments for Savvy and her family, oh don't forget the dog. Savvy wants to write for the paper but because she doesn't have experience they won't let her although her interview article was great, so to be a part of the team she starts delivering the papers.

What happens next is really cool but you are going to have to read the book to find out. Love the God references in here as well.

I felt lik
Lynne Stringer
I don't think I'm this novel's target audience, but I still found it enjoyable. Maybe that's because of the journalist/writer connection. I enjoyed reading about Savannah trying to cope as an expatriate American living in England, especially as she struggles to make friends in her new environment. It was well written and enjoyable, although the 'British stuff' was a bit overdone. I can imagine an American responding that way, though. ...more
Olivia
A fun read of an American girl living in England. I loved how many British terms were used, even if some of them I haven't heard yet myself! I have to say that a lot of words I hardly notice anymore because I've lived here for several years, but as a newbie you definitely would realize the difference. I'm looking forward to reading the others in this series! ...more
Freda Mans-Labianca
Apr 27, 2010 rated it really liked it
This is a great story for girls, aged around 12. It was easy to read, and had great values in it. I also really enjoyed the publishing/writing aspect of it.
I HIGHLY suggest, if you have a young girl or girls, you get them this book. They will love it too!
Stacey
Feb 08, 2014 rated it really liked it
My 8 year old daughter and I are reading this series together at night. I love the main character, Savy, and that her main focus is on God. It sends a great message to young girls. The London setting makes it even more appealing to my daughter.
Lindsey
Aug 29, 2010 rated it it was amazing
This book is great, I'm so glad it was are book club book. ...more
Haley S
Mar 29, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: teen
I most likely will do a review on this one soon!
Clare O'Beara
While I don't attend an English school this story does seem to be in an American high school set out in the sticks in Essex, outside London. The whole setup is American. The nice American family has moved here and Savannah, or Savvy, wants to join the school paper, only partly because she likes the idea of journalism; more like nobody else is friendly or wants to sit with her. Stereotypes abound.

Generally teachers will make sure a classmate shows someone new around and chats to them. Unless the
Steve W
Nov 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
The story was touching and just a bit inspiring. Sandra Byrd has a comfortable, easy-going style to her writing, and makes for a quick read. Her character (Savannah) has her eyes set on a position at the school newspaper, but will she be able to penetrate the British-American culture barrier and get the chance to prove herself? The premise felt familiar from Ms. Byrd's French Twist series, though I enjoyed that series more than Asking for Trouble.

I would especially recommend this book to young a
« previous 1 3 4 next »
should i read it 3 6 Aug 29, 2014 06:06AM

• Collateral Damage (Danger Never Sleeps, #1)
  • A Secret to Die For
  • Christmas Amnesia (Callahan Confidential #3)
  • Crushed (Pretty Little Liars, #13)
  • Don't Even Think About It (Don't Even Think About It, #1)
  • Just Add Magic
  • Fairest of All (Whatever After, #1)
  • Deadly (Pretty Little Liars, #14)
  • Vanishing Point (Nikki Boyd Files #4)
  • Mind Reader - The Teenage Years: Book 1 - No Escape: Books for Girls
  • Meet Me There (Ridgewater High #1)
  • Tell Me Pretty Lies
  • Acceptable Risk (Danger Never Sleeps, #2)
  • Breadcrumbs
  • Falling Apart (Julia Jones: The Teenage Years #1)
  • Catching Fire: The Official Illustrated Movie Companion
  • Say Anything
  • The Water Keeper (Murphy Shepherd #1)
Bestselling author Sandra Byrd has published fifty books over her editing and writing career. Her traditionally published books include titles by Howard Books, a division of Simon and Schuster, Tyndale House Publishers, WaterBrook Press, an imprint of Penguin Random House, and Bethany House Publishers.

Sandra’s series of historically sound Gothic romances launched with the best-selling Mist of Mid

London Confidential (4 books)
  • Through Thick & Thin (London Confidential, #2)
  • Don't Kiss Him Good Bye (London Confidential, #3)
  • Flirting With Disaster (London Confidential, #4)