Start by marking “Sins of a Wicked Duke” as Want to Read:
Sins of a Wicked Duke

Sins of a Wicked Duke (The Penwich School for Virtuous Girls #1)

3.74  ·  Rating details ·  3,448 Ratings  ·  201 Reviews
She works to live . . . One would think the last place a beauty like Fallon O'Rourke could keep her virtue was in the Mayfair mansion of London's most licentious duke, the notorious Dominic Hale. Yet Fallon--who's endured nothing but lecherous advances since her father's tragic death--is perfectly safe there . . . disguised as a footman! Beneath the notice of the dark-hair ...more
Published March 31st 2009 by HarperCollins Publishers (first published March 13th 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Sins of a Wicked Duke, please sign up.

Duchess Awww wish he would.......Ethan Waverly, Viscount Hunt sounded rogue and a gentleman both at the same time....Not bad ♡

Catherine
After reading multiple enthusiastic reviews at multiple sites I decided to pick this book up. Unfortunately this book didn't work for me nearly as well as it did for those other happy readers. The description of the book sounded promising and the details mentioned by the reviews were ones that I usually like. For some reason it just didn't come together for me in this book. I spent most of the book with one eyebrow cocked struggling to believe in the characters and their motivations.

For some rea
Sarah MacLean
Just reread SOAWD...and was reminded of how AMAZING Sophie Jordan is. This is my favorite of her books (though I love them all...), perfect tortured hero meets fabulous, feisty heroine...who dresses as a male (one of my favorite things). The reveal of her actual gender is perfectly pitched...you will not be able to put this one down. Sophie Jordan is one of the very best.
Dianna
There’s a Mr Brocklehurst! And he’s running a horrible school for girls! Unfortunately, when a story peaks in the prologue, it’s not a good sign.

So Fallon is a tall girl with big hair and a chip on her shoulder. She’s left the creepy clutches of the Brocklehurst and become a housemaid to a widow. When the widow’s son starts making moves she runs from the house! He gives chase! She punches him! Fallon is now out of a job.

Her altercation is witnessed by Duke Dominic, who offers her a ride in his
Lisa Kay
★★★☆☆ (This is a review of the audiobook.) This is well narrated by Emily Gray. I would certainly listen to her again. I give the narration ★★★★☆.

I didn’t realize I’d read this book before until I started listening to this one. Alas, I think I’ve turned into a prude. There are a couple of ‘ick factors’ in this one. The first one I tried to shake off, the second I couldn’t: (view spoiler)
Pınar
Mar 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Bir süredir aklımda takılan bir soru var. Yayınevleri, bir hatta tercihen iki dil bilen arkadaşları bünyesine katmak yerine, neden Türkçe bilen insanları almıyor işe. Hayır yani çeviri de hatalı, redaksiyon da. Ee o zaman niye 2 dil bilen insan arıyorsunuz. Bence Türkçe bilen biri daha iyi olur. Siz bir de bunu deneyin bak, cidden farkı göreceksiniz.

Redaksiyona baştan değindim bu sefer ama cidden sıkıldım bu durumdan. Bayağı tarihî aşk romanı okudum bu sıralar ve çoğu da Pegasus'a denk geldi. H
Ruth
Wow! This is very different from most HRs. The hero is really an anti-hero, and unlike most HRs with rakes as heroes, this one really is a rake - unpleasant, decadent, rather sexually depraved and just plain nasty. The heroine is also rather unlikeable, although more understandably so - she's had a pretty tough deal from life and continues to get one, although I did get the impression she could maybe have learnt a bit more from her experiences.

Dressing herself up as a footman is inspired. I nor
Tammy Walton Grant
Julie (jjmachshev)
"Sins of a Wicked Duke" is Sophie Jordan's latest historical with moderate heat about a young woman whose temperment and looks have made it hard for her to keep a job. So she does the unthinkable--cuts her long hair, disguises herself, and hires on as a footman!

Fallon's life took a hard turn as a young girl when her father died. She was sent to a school where her flame-red hair earned her especially harsh treatment from the headmaster. She hated every moment, but did cherish the two friends she
Denise

Two people emotionally scarred from their childhoods, Fallon O'Rourke and Dominic Hale, Duke of Damon meet when she is being accosted in the street by her employers inebriated son who has been trying to get her to "play" with him and his friends. Dom passes this scene while in his carriage fondling the two women with him. When he stops to rescue her, she already has saved herself by kneeing the man in the groin. Dom gives her a ride and propositions her after trying to shock her while fondling
Erika
Nov 27, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: historical, romance
A savage smile twisted his lips. Anger burned in his blood. Dark and dangerous. He flattened both hands on the wall, one on either side of her head. Damp heat emanated from her body, drawing him in. Leaning closer, her palm rose up to flatten against his chest, clearly thinking to stop him.
Blistering heat sparked where they touched. Her gaze flared wide, almost directly on level with his. But she did not withdraw. Not as she should. Something held her hand there, a will that matched his own, a
Ally72
Apr 20, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have read all of Sophie Jordan's books and I think she just keeps getting better! I think Sophie's heroines always have strong personalities and are very likable in each of her books. I especially liked "Sins of A Wicked Duke" and am looking forward to the other books that will start this new series!
Maureen Feeney
Feb 18, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own-it
My first book by SJ, but definitely not my last.
The reviews have said nearly all I want to say. I just love the bit at the start of the book where Dominic tries to shock Fallon in the carraige, I didn't expect that! Great scene.

I am going to order the sequel "In scandal they wed" Evies story straight away. Very entertaining enjoyable book.
♡Karlyn P♡
A cute and quick historical read. Not much depth but overall a satisfying, light love story. If you like stories of the heroine dressing/hiding as a man, this will appeal to you.
Bookaholic (reads every mortal thing)
Damn you, high expectations. You ruin everything.

Jessa
Jun 12, 2013 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2013
Having liked Sophie Jordan in the past, this book is a disappointment and in particular felt like a poor imitation of A Duke's Temptation by Jillian Hunter.

The story begins with Fallon who has grown mistreated in a poor and demeaning orphanage. Because of her striking appearance and red hair, has a hard time keeping a position inside a respectable household. After the son of her employer makes unwanted advances she flees. This is all quite standard for books in this period. Fallon decides the o
Katya
Jul 17, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2011
As I read this book, the following scene came to mind. Indluge me if you will as I describe it.

Living room. AUTHOR and BOOK sit by the cozy fire.

BOOK (in the most aww voice you can imagine): When I grow up, I want to be Jane Eyre !

AUTHOR looks down with the weary exasperation of adults.

AUTHOR: That's nice, dear, but that's a pretty big goal. Why don't we stick to the hot and heavy romance and leave classics to others?

BOOK: But I CAN be like Jane Eyre ! With serious themes, like slut-shaming a
Willow Brook
Jan 15, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: historical
This was just ok. I really didn't care for the hero Dominic, who was an asshat much of the time. He whores around, drinks heavily, finds it amusing to call his servants by the wrong name and his first attempt at "seduction" is to suck on another woman's breast in front of the heroine Fallon whom he has just met and whom he knows has just fought off the unwanted advances of another "gentleman." Keep on mind this is some time in the 19th Century, Fallon is a virgin, just faced possible rape from a ...more
Anne
Feb 05, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Historical romance lovers
At first, some of the things the hero does bothered me. But as I grew to know more about him, I felt more sympathy as to why he had become a notorious womanizer. The Heroine is a hoot, dressing as a male after several awful jobs where it was a real chore to keep her virtue. Of course she ends up with the wicked duke working as a footman. And of course she gets away with it.....for a while. A clever and cute story with some heart wrenching parts., I enjoyed the book.
Leigh
Theme: heroine in disguise, Duke Hero & maid heroine, handsome Hero & heroine not pretty, This also had (view spoiler)

Chapters: 30 chapters excluding Prologue and Epilogue

Memorable lines: She'd already come to terms with the notion of loving him. And not having him. She had not yet realized, however that loving meant hurting. Always hurting. More so each time she saw him. Because she would never have him. Because she would forever want to.

heroine
HÜLYA
Feb 06, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Kitap Adı : Aşkın Günahı
Yazarı : Sophie JordAN
Orjinal Adı :Sins of a Wicked Duke
Goodreads Puanı : 5/3,78
Puanım : 5/4

Sophie Jordan en sevdiğim yazarlardandır..İLk Düğün Gecesi romanı ile onunla tanışmıştım..Yazarım kitaplarında yarattığı sıra dışı dünyayı çok seviyorum..

Penwich Erdemli Kızlar Okulu isimli üç kitaplık serinin ilk kitabı Aşkın Günahı isimli kitabı yazarın diğer kitaplarına göre daha değişik ve egzotik buldum..Kurgusundan çok bende bırakmış olduğu duygu yoğunluğunu sevdim..Özellikl
SW
Aug 03, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I picked this up from Amazon for the Kindle because it was $1.99 at the time otherwise I usually borrow these kind of book (historical romances) from the library. (Side-note I love that my library has ebooks I can read on my Kindle and Tablet)

The book starts off and introduces you to 3 girls at this scary all girls school called Penwich School for Virtuous Girls, it kind of sound like an all girls orphanage, where the principle doesn't feed them all the time and let the bullies run amuck and al
D.G.
This book was really light on plot. The author tried to make it a bit angsty with a tormented hero and a cross dressing heroine but neither plot was developed properly so we end up with a story full of cliches that it's not satisfying.

Both main characters had tough childhoods, her in a terrible school (reminded me of the one Jane Eyre attended, with no food and girls dying left and right) and him with a vicar grandfather that hired a sadist governess to raise him. While the hero was completely d
Nalnac
May 05, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I'll make this short.

Pages upon pages of no events but a rather boring attempt at romance between two poorly developed characters: Fallon The maiden and Dominic The demon duke.
Honestly, I have read much better UST, sensual banter and battle of 'resistyounot', in the (free)pages of fanfictions.
And being this an historical romance, well I couldn't even find a trace of something "historical" in here. In what year is this story set? Did I miss something? There's not even one date, an indication thr
Yumru
Sep 25, 2013 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Yazarın kitaplarını okumayı severim ama bu kitap sanki bu yazara ait değildi.Konu ilgi çekiciydi fakat eksikler bir hayli çoktu.Başlangıç ilginçti merakla sayfaları çevirdim ama hayalkırıklığı yaşadım,güzelim hikaye bir çırpıda bambaşka yerlere gitmeye başlayınca tüm okuma hevesim kaçtı diyebilirim.

Takıldığım çok yer var, bayan karakterin devamlı öne sürülen elleri,yüzü ve saçları yada güzel değil aslında da çekici bir amazon kadını denip durdu :/Değilse nedir sizi çeken bu kadar deyip durdum :)
Kim H
May 15, 2009 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
A letdown and more than a little disgusting, IMO. The hero is a complete slut; I wouldn't touch him with tweezers, and I really don't understand why the heroine would find him attractive. He has reasons for being like he is, they always do, but he was too repulsive early on for me to care what they were. The heroine comes from rough circumstances and is actually fairly street smart, so you'd think she'd be afraid of contracting an STD from him:P Of course, she's in his household masquerading as ...more
Kazen
Jul 11, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This just wasn't my kind of book. I was excited to see gender-bending mentioned in the blurb, but it was way too easy for Fallon to pass as a guy. Just cut your hair and change your clothes, no one will notice! Riiiight.

We're told she's not all that pretty, but that doesn't stop every male in the book from fawning over her. And when she was dressed as a guy, the girls liked her too! It's almost comical.

Dominic, our hero, is just over the alpha a-hole line for me. (view spoiler)
Amanda
I really don't know what went wrong with this book. To be honest, I barely finished it. I skimmed through the last five chapters or so just to be done with it. It's sad really because I liked Sophie Jordan's writing for the most part, I loved Fallon and I especially enjoyed the whole woman dresses as a man trope since it's one of my favs. But the fact that I didn't understand nor could I get behind the main romance, and also because the hero was a giant perv, hindered my overall enjoyment of the ...more
Alex
Feb 16, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I thought the male lead was kind of dirty (in-getting-herpes kind of way)and I didn't like him as much. But he got better in the end but I still thought of him as a AIDS carrier. I think Ms. Jordan should of played more with the diguise character
Beverley Kendall
May 07, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great read. At first wasn't sure how much I'd like the hero. He was more disreputable than I usually like. But I'm a total sucker for a heroine in disguise plot. And the book revved up when he discovered he was a she. :) Delightful! Didn't disappoint.
Kate Bond
This is a fun series. I love romance series that follow a group of friends, each receiving the focus of one book.

This series technically comes before Jordan's Forgotten Princesses series, as the characters overlap.
Loving this Wicked Man 3 35 Mar 30, 2012 10:01PM
  • One Night Is Never Enough (Secrets, #2)
  • Lord Ruin (The Sinclair Sisters, #1)
  • Surrender to the Devil (Scoundrels of St. James, #3)
  • Tempt the Devil
  • The Devil's Waltz
  • To Wed a Wicked Earl (Devine & Friends, #2)
  • Always a Scoundrel (Notorious Gentlemen, #3)
  • Never a Gentleman (Drake's Rakes, #2)
  • Too Wicked to Wed (Lords of Midnight, #1)
  • Confessions of an Improper Bride (Donovan Sisters, #1)
  • When Seducing a Duke (Victorian Soap Opera, #1)
  • What an Earl Wants
  • Seduction & Scandal (The Brethren Guardians, #1)
  • Lord of Fire (Knight Miscellany, #2)
  • The Husband Trap (The Trap Trilogy, #1)
  • One Week As Lovers (Somerhart, #3)
Pseudonym:
Sharie Kohler

Sophie Jordan took her adolescent daydreaming one step further and penned her first historical romance in the back of her high school Spanish class. This passion led her to pursue a degree in English and History.

A brief stint in law school taught her that case law was not nearly as interesting as literature - teaching English seemed the natural recourse. After several years
More about Sophie Jordan...

The Penwich School for Virtuous Girls (3 books)
  • In Scandal They Wed (The Penwich School for Virtuous Girls #2)
  • Wicked Nights With a Lover (The Penwich School for Virtuous Girls #3)

“I wish for adventure.