Start by marking “Dragon's Fat Cat: Dragon's Fourth Tale” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
Dragon's Fat Cat: Drag...

Dav Pilkey

Dragon's Fat Cat: Dragon's Fourth Tale (The Dragon Tales)

4.29  ·  Rating details ·  390 Ratings  ·  52 Reviews
Dragon finds a fat cat in the snow outside his house, brings it inside, and soon has a family.
Published March 1st 1992 by Orchard Books (NY) (first published 1992)

To ask other readers questions about Dragon's Fat Cat, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dragon's Fat Cat

J
Mar 22, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read the Spanish version of this because I'm trying to learn the language and I instantly fell in love with the illustrations of the Dragon holding and cuddling the kitty when I leafed through it the day I found it. I'm sure some of it was lost on me, but I got most of it. It's super cute.
Scott Middleton
Mar 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2nd-grade-2016
Dear Reader's in Mr. Middleton's Class,

Do you want to read a happy and sad story? If you want, I present to you "Dragon's Fat Cat." It's a dragon book. First Dragon heard a "meow" sound so he opened the door and there was a cat sitting in the snow. Again, Dragon looked outside and saw the cat in snow covered almost to his neck. When the day was almost done, Dragon heard a sound again. Dragon went out and saw a pile of snow that looked like a mountain. Dragon dug the pile and said, "You fat cat,
elissa
Oct 07, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents and preschoolers/kindergarteners
I didn't read that many easy readers in the 90's, but I love cats, so this one caught my eye shortly after it came out. The very short chapters are designed to be read by beginning readers, but they're too much fun to not be shared between parents and kids. I've loved reading it with both of my sons. Pilkey is hilarious!
Jenn Swanson
May 30, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children, fiction, quickie
Dragon finds a fat cat outside and instantly bonds with it. My daughter absolutely loved this story and took the book out of my hands when I was done reading it to her so she could look at the pictures by herself. Would recommend.
Simon
Aug 29, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is really funny. The cat slept in the dragon's bed, and the dragon slept in the cat's bed! When he got all of the stuff he needed for the cat, he forgot the cat!
Ryan
Jan 31, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Dragon gets a lesson on how to care for a cat. I love these beginning chapter books. They are easy, full color, and full of heart.
Hyeonjeong Lee
Personal reflection : I really like this book because of the main character. The main character is the dragon, who became a family with a cat. He gave a name for the cat and it was "cat". He thought "CAT" would be a good name for the cat. Before recommending them to read this book, I would ask children who give them their names and what their names' meanings are. It would encourage their interests. Also, while reading this book, the dragon made me feel very warm and comfortable. He prepared ever ...more
Sarah Holland
1. Personal reaction – This book was very sweet and humorous! Children will like the funny and animal aspects of this book. I also enjoyed how the book was split into ten page chapters. It made reading more fluid.

2. Purpose(s)/Use in the classroom
• read aloud to make a curricular connection: For young students, this book would be a great lesson in responsibility. The dragon in this story became responsible for a stray cat and realized the undertaking was no as easy as he thought. Students could
Diane
My students love this series!
John
Sep 13, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The tale of Dragon and his fat cat begins with a humble dragon sitting in his living room on a snowy January night. All is peaceful until Dragon hears a "meow" coming from outside his front door. After the cat refuses to come in from the cold Dragon grabs it and places it next to the fire. The story continues with Dragon trying to make living arrangements for the cat in his house but he quickly learns that taking care of a pet is no easy work. The fat cat is constantly making messes in Dragon's ...more
Jane Night
Sep 24, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was a bit on the long side but there was limited text to each page so my kindergarten age children handled it well.
It is a very cute story about a dragon adopting a cat and learning to care for it. The book is broken up into chapters and so could easily be read a chapter at a time.
Illustrations are very cute.
My girls were excited to help read first chapter as it had repetition of "meow". Cat and Dragon are also repeated and kids could spot those words but "Meow" was their favorite.
Dolly
Jan 02, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: children starting to read chapter books
Shelves: 2011, childrens, pets, humor
A fun beginning chapter book featuring the lovable Dragon. We love the deadpan humor and the adorable illustrations in this story. It's just about as funny as The Adventures of Captain Underpants, but without the toilet humor. We really enjoyed this story and will look for more of these tales at our local library.
Marcus
Jan 26, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Marcus by: Mummy
Michelle
This book is longer than the ones I usually pick out for my son, but he insisted on it and ended up loving it. In this Dragon story, he rescues a cat from the snow and learns how to take care of it. It's a cute and sweet story about responsibility in a way that children can easily understand and relate to. Definitely a good one. The "chapters" are also very short, which I think is a neat way to introduce children to longer books without overwhelming them.
Sandie
Nov 24, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children
We loved it! What a fun book and the illustrations are way cute!

I have actually enjoyed pretty much all of Dav Pilkey's books that we have come across now. I wasn't a huge fan of the Captain Underpants series but my son enjoyed them back in like 3rd grade or so.

This book is about Dragon and the fat cat that he finds in the snow. When he trys to care for Cat as he named it, the errors are comical!

A very fun book. Good example of showing compassion to other creatures.
Ubalstecha
Dragon adopts a cat that he finds sitting outside his house one day. He and the cat quickly establish a typical cat/owner relationship. That is that the cat rules the household.

Like any Dav Pilkey book, this is a humourous story that young children will enjoy. It's status as an early reader will also appeal to parents looking to stretch their children's reading.

Fun!
Randie D. Camp, M.S.
Dragon acquires a frozen cat, after he thaws out he makes a problem-some pet but Dragon gets some help and learns how to care for his cat. Dragon goes to the store to buy things for cat but he leaves something important behind...and when he returns for the left behind item, he finds five surprises!

Great book for emerging readers.
Vanessa Westen
Dragon finds this fat cat and decides to take care of it but quickly finds out taking care of a cat is not that easy. One day he realizes he left the cat behind and thinks he lost her forever. He went out searching and found her in a box... With kittens! Dragon takes the mamma cat and baby kittens home with him in the end.
Marcia
Mar 09, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kids-books
Love this series! Again a great one for early readers (1st grade). Funny, cute and great use of words they can read. If you don't know Dav Pilkey is the author Captain Underpants. He has LOTS of other series as well for all different levels. He's my son's favorite author (it helps that my son's name is David!).
Myra
Oct 09, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
So, this was my all-time favorite episode of the TV show, and the book is also my favorite. Dragon finds a stray cat. And decides to keep it. But Dragon has no idea how to take care of a cat. Hilarity ensues.
Vicki
Jul 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: chapter
I LOVE the Dragon Tales by Dav Pilkey, this is very cute from the prospective of a cat owner like myself. The colorful illustrations remain faithful to each dragon book and the outdoor scenes remind me of Van Gogh's "Starry Night".
Beth
May 18, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-s
Dragon helps the fat cat avoid the snow and stay in his house. Dragon names this creature Cat. Dragon has a hard time training Cat as well. The kittens also like Dragon's bed.
This might be nice to read when getting a new pet.
Teketel Hessel-farmer
This was the first Dragon book we'd ever read and it was great! Beautiful and creative illustrations. And Dragon is a very accessible character. I think this book really taps into a child's sense of compassion and empathy for others...
Karen Stanford
Oct 13, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is my all time favorite children's book. The story is funny yet teaches responsibility in pet ownership. The illustrations are amazing! I love watching my students read this book because they inevitably start laughing at one point in the book. It's real but not over the top.
Becky B
A collection of related short stories in which Dragon learns the hard way about cat ownership.

There are several face-palm worthy moments in this book for Dragon, but he has great intentions and eventually takes good care of Cat. Kids should enjoy the antics and Dragon's steep learning curve.
Heather
Sep 29, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: from-library
29 months - Cute young reader chapter book. Funny ending. We'll have to read this one again when O is reading.
Meghan Nels
This book was fun to read and funny but doesn't stand out as anything special. My students would probably only check it out because it's written by the same author as Captain Underpants.
ABC
Jul 23, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: younger-kids
Hilarious. These dragon books are so funny.
Mehta
Jul 29, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens
Fat Cat that looks suspiciously like Llewellyn...
Rachel
Mar 31, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: laurie-books
Cute story about a Dragon being concerned with a cat, then the cat has kittens.
  • Puppy Mudge Takes a Bath
  • Uncle Elephant
  • Abracadabra! Magic with Mouse and Mole
  • The Case of the Missing Jelly Donut
  • The Secret Olivia Told Me
  • The Dunderheads
  • Chicken Said "Cluck!" (My First I Can Read)
  • Butterflies And Moths
  • Make Way For Dumb Bunnies (The Dumb Bunnies, #3)
  • Super Fly Guy (Fly Guy, #2)
  • Where in the Wild?: Camouflaged Creatures Concealed... and Revealed
  • Penny and Her Doll
  • Pigs Aplenty, Pigs Galore!
  • Tree of Freedom
  • The King, the Mice and the Cheese
  • Fox On The Job (Easy To Read Level 3)
  • The Adventures of Marco Polo
  • Gorgonzola: A Very Stinkysaurus
David "Dav" Pilkey (b. March 4, 1966), is a popular children's author and artist. Pilkey is best known as the author and illustrator of the Captain Underpants book series. He lives near Seattle, Washington with his wife, Sayuri.

More about Dav Pilkey

The Dragon Tales (5 books)
  • A Friend For Dragon