Start by marking “The Animal Manifesto: Six Reasons for Expanding Our Compassion Footprint” as Want to Read:
The Animal Manifesto: Six Reasons for Expanding Our Compassion Footprint

The Animal Manifesto: Six Reasons for Expanding Our Compassion Footprint

In this inspirational call to action, Marc Bekoff, the world’s leading expert on animal emotions, gently shows that improving our treatment of animals is a matter of rethinking our many daily decisions and “expanding our compassion footprint.” He demonstrates that animals experience a rich range of emotions, including empathy and compassion, and that they clearly know righ ...more
Published February 9th 2010 by New World Library (first published December 1st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about The Animal Manifesto, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Animal Manifesto

Sally
Sep 30, 2018 rated it liked it
The Animal Manifesto is a good introduction to animal rights, but not recommended for the experienced activist. It covers basic issues such as factory farms, animal sentience, and the use of animals in science, but spends a surprisingly large number of words talking in circles and reiterating previous points.
Wendy
Aug 05, 2011 rated it it was ok
Just a quick review here: I like Bekoff, but this book is a general primer, an introduction to animal rights, and there are several places where he contradicts himself. We talked about this in our animal rights book group yesterday and the general consensus was that indeed this is not for hardened AR activists, and likely not for those into direct action. However, for Buddhists and other positive people who don't know much about animal rights I can recommend this book. It's written in a kind, co ...more
Abby
Sep 12, 2011 rated it really liked it
In this thoughtful, optimistic, and compelling plea, Dr. Marc Bekoff argues that we need to "expand our compassion footprint" toward animals. This means showing gentleness and respect toward your dog, the squirrels in your backyard, the calves in the rodeo, the tuna in the ocean, and the elephants in the circus. Bekoff, professor emeritus of ecology and evolutionary biology at UC Boulder and scholar-in-residence at the Institute for Human-Animal Connection, shares examples from a wide range of a ...more
Max
Apr 14, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: advisory
The Animal Manifesto is a book that everyone should read to understand both their own and other animals psychology.

The Animal Manifesto talks about how animals think and how we are equals. The book has 6 chapters each just 6 reasons of why animals should be treated better. The Animal Manifesto proves (or at least makes a good argument) Human ignorance and selfishness. It gives examples of study's that show animal intelligence, emotions, and an understanding of what's going on around them.

I rec
Shelly
Feb 16, 2011 rated it really liked it
A great read for anyone who wants to create a more compassionate world for future generations.
Marília Domingos
Mar 21, 2012 rated it really liked it
Mais um livro que acrescento à minha lista de favoritos. Bastante simples de compreender e de ler mas bastante directo na mensagem que pretende transmitir: temos de mudar urgentemente a forma como temos vindo a tratar os animais. Baseia-se em 6 razões principais para que o façamos:
1- Todos os animais partilham a Terra e temos de coexistir. O Homem tem vindo a invadir o espaço dos animais e não exita em eliminá-los com uma bala ou duas quando estes também o fazem, mesmo que essa seja a solução ma
Tempo de Ler
Jun 21, 2012 rated it it was amazing
{Blog} http://tempodler.blogspot.pt/2012/06/...

This book definitely makes us think about what we are doing ... and what we are allowing to do.
Showing human ignorance regarding animal intelligence, Bekoff wrote a book for the general reader - of all ages and both sexes - because we all live in this world and all, in one way or another, deal with animals.
Through amazing stories and studies that prove animals do think and can feel, Bekoff urges us to learn more about them, know their rights and, mo
Bobby
Jan 04, 2015 rated it really liked it
Marc Bekoff's The Animal Manifesto is a great starting place to become aware of the relationship between humans and animals, a great introduction to the idea that we are all animals, humans and otherwise, and that we're meant to largely coexist, not be in constant conflict. Bekoff covers a lot of ground in this book, from farm animals to pets, marine life to wildlife, from circus animals to animals used in scientific studies and more. Bekoff approaches each of these scenarios with a deep underst ...more
Ali Baylor
Feb 26, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Ali by: Karen Diane Knowles
Another great look at the mammal's point of view, including stories of different mammals that will make you realize that we are doing things cuch as animal experimentation, that no longer can be legitamized. For any reason. If fact, there are stories of science experiment that will shock you, done AFTER hemans have already determined the lack of usefulness of certain of the studies in any way. For example, the deprivation studies of monkeys by depriving them of parents as models for human depres ...more
Martin
Apr 28, 2014 rated it really liked it
Animals deserve our compassion and respect. In this scientifically grounded book, emeritus professor Dr. Bekoff convincingly argues to rethink how humans relate to animals; whether we hunt them down for sport, eat them, research them or use them for our entertainment. A disturbing, but essential read for all who say they care about creation.
Vidula
Apr 19, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction
Definitely not a book for anthropocentric people, but for me, it just opened my eyes to how terrible zoos are to animals. It also shows our interdependence to them, and kind of discouraged me from becoming a biologist... I don't want to kill animals :'(
Brooke
Jul 19, 2011 rated it really liked it
Thought provoking. This book will definitely make me think more about my actions and how they impact animals, as well as stand up for them. I am definitely going to embrace an even more veggie lifestyle than I already do.
Liz Estrada
Aug 02, 2015 rated it liked it
I only gave this 3 stars because I knew most of what was in this book already, but for novices on this subject it's is a good place to start and get informed on a more compassionate way of living.
Fernando
Sep 14, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great book, There's a lot of news on animal rights on the last years, interesting views from ethologist Marc Bekoff.
Alex
Jan 25, 2014 rated it really liked it
Not the most persuasive book, but certainly enlightening. I found Marc Bekoff to be repetitive at times, but the few powerful, resonating passages I read from the book made it worth it.
Carrie-anne
May 31, 2014 rated it really liked it
This book was great in expanding my thinking on the way we think/see animals, great for any animal lovers or someone who wants to look at the world in a new perspective
Pat King
May 31, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Really sinks in makes you think hard
Emil Petersen
Jan 21, 2017 rated it it was ok
A book in service of a noble and undeniably good cause. I wonder if people some undecided number of years down the road sit and wonder how on earth we we're comfortable treating animals as we do anno 2017. I hope they do.

As for the book, it was pretty boring. I gotta say. I spent way too much time reading it because I kept falling asleep, or I ran put of willpower to go on. If you need reasons for why we should be treating animals with respect and dignity, there are at least six in the book.
Andrew Sternisha
Apr 23, 2019 rated it it was ok
There are some really thought provoking ideas in here that I think the world needs to hear, but there is not much depth to any of the topics that Bekoff examines despite the fact that these are complex issues that should be examined more deeply. Bekoff’s arguments are not particularly well supported here even though there is plenty of data to support his positions. I wish he would have brought more of that into the book.
Troy
Jul 19, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: animals
An alright read, wasn't thrilled with it overall. The article headlines scattered throughout seemed lazy and like info dumping. Some of the arguments were a bit weak as well.
Adam Pluszka
Nov 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I just needed such dose of optimism.
Alyssa
Mar 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Only just started this book, and I love it so much. I’ve started using Animal post-it notes to mark my favorite lines!
Nikki
In The Animal Manifesto, Bekoff explores reasons both scientific and emotional for why animals should be treated differently by society. As one who has been a long-time vegan and knowledgeable in the arena of non-human animal treatment around the world, this book really offered me nothing new. "Preaching to the choir" is pretty much the situation here. However, I do feel as though this may be a decent introduction for some, although I have no doubt maybe people would be turned off by Bekoff's sy ...more
Kelsey
Aug 02, 2012 rated it liked it
I agree with the author's conclusions, but feel that the arguments he uses to get there are weak, depending on the audience.

I would have liked a much greater level of detail and research. There are plenty of citations at the back of the book, but in the body of the book relevant studies are summarized in a way I think highly oversimplified. The author relies more on intuition/emotion/anecdote, which I just don't find terribly persuasive.
Jonathan
Dec 03, 2012 rated it did not like it
Utter garbage. The kind of hippy-trippy horseshit that lowers the collective intelligence of humanity on a page by page basis. I found myself becoming more and more angered by his sanctimonious "holier than thou" attitude. Bekoff is the kind of person who would keep a dangerous animal as a pet and end up being mauled to death because he truly believes that "it just wants to be my friend". I hope he climbs into a lion cage in an effort to prove his theories...
Helga Kvam
Mar 27, 2014
Cherie
Jun 17, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »

• The Weather of the Future: Heat Waves, Extreme Storms, and Other Scenes from a Climate-Changed Planet
  • Eels: An Exploration, from New Zealand to the Sargasso, of the World's Most Mysterious Fish
  • The Pleasure Instinct: Why We Crave Adventure, Chocolate, Pheromones, and Music
  • Hope for Animals and Their World: How Endangered Species Are Being Rescued from the Brink
  • Carnivorous Nights: On the Trail of the Tasmanian Tiger
  • Second Nature: The Inner Lives of Animals
  • A World Without Ice
  • Sweetness and Light: The Mysterious History of the Honeybee
  • Honeybee Democracy
  • Ecological Intelligence: Rediscovering Ourselves in Nature
  • The Illustrated Insectopedia
  • Demon Fish: Travels Through the Hidden World of Sharks
  • The Illustrated Longitude: The True Story of a Lone Genius Who Solved the Greatest Scientific Problem of His Time
  • Darwin's Island: The Galapagos in the Garden of England
  • Summer World: A Season of Bounty
  • Zoo Story: Life in the Garden of Captives
  • Thousand Mile Song: Whale Music in a Sea of Sound
  • Superdove: How the Pigeon Took Manhattan ... And the World
Please see http://www.literati.net/authors/marc-... and you can read my essays for Psychology Today here -- http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/a... --
“Some people say they love animals and yet harm them nonetheless; I'm glad those people don't love me.” 14 likes
“All animals, including humans, have a right to lives of dignity and respect, without forced intrusions.” 7 likes