Start by marking “AlphaOops: H Is for Halloween” as Want to Read:
AlphaOops: H Is for Halloween

AlphaOops: H Is for Halloween

(AlphaOops!)

H gets top billing — but a stubborn B has something scary to say — as the inside-out alphabet gives a howl-arious Halloween performance.

Ack! It’s time for the show, and A isn’t ready. But then again, Halloween can only start with one letter, no matter how the A-B-Cs normally go! The misbehaving alphabet is back, and there’s no telling who will take the stage next. Z for zo
Published July 13th 2010 by Candlewick press

To ask other readers questions about AlphaOops, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about AlphaOops

Start your review of AlphaOops: H Is for Halloween
Tasha
Oct 18, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
The mixed up alphabet antics continue in this second Alpha Oops book. A isn’t ready to go on, but H has to start a Halloween book anyway. H starts with Halloween, and the other letters join in for a Halloween-themed alphabet that is not in any particular order. As the letters reveal themselves, poor B keeps on trying to get his word in but is upstaged each time. He tries to be a buccaneer, but P is wearing the same costume for pirate. X has trouble finding the perfect word too, but S is there wi ...more
Jon Nakapalau
Oct 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing
HALLOWEEN IS ALMOST HERE! Now if only all the letters can come up with a plant to spell it out!
Michelle
Jul 15, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Instant LOVE! This book is wonderful for R2R use. Great illustrations, engaging storyline (a Halloween pageant!), excellent for vocabulary and letter knowledge (the letters appear out of order in the "pageant," but line up nicely along the bottom of the page as each one "takes their turn.") I will definitely be using this one for my own children come Halloweeen time! p.s. *love* the hint to a third book at the end...
Melki
Oct 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kidstuff, halloween
The letters are going to put on a spectacular Halloween show if they can ever get their act(s) together.
Great illustrations by Bob Kolar.
Monster
In this Halloween themed AlphaOops story, the mixed up alphabet is getting ready to celebrate Halloween in traditional AlphaOops style. When the letter A isn't ready to start the Halloween alphabet, the letter H gets top billing. The other letters appear throughout the book representing different creatures and items of Halloween. Kontis includes some alphabet book in-jokes, as when the letter J apologizes to the jack-o-lantern for picking another word, saying "J can't always be for jack-o-lanter ...more
Julie Darling
Oct 10, 2010 rated it really liked it
Fun story, great illustrations, the words are kind of all over the place and it does not follow any alphabetical order (although the letters use words that start with their letter). Some banter between the letters makes it entertaining for adults as well. Reading it to a child requires a fair amount of pointing to direct attention to where it's supposed to go. Still, very worthwhile. Good Halloween seasonal read for one on one, maybe not so great for a read aloud. ...more
Tricia
Sep 10, 2010 rated it really liked it
This book is a nice blend of alphabet and holiday. Thinking that some subtleties may be missed in a group environment but this went over well as a reading to a solo child. Clever and funny, we both enjoyed it.
Sep 27, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: emily-books
Very cute book for kids and incorporates Halloween words for each of the letters.
Jade Saleem
Oct 14, 2010 rated it liked it
This a great read aloud for pre k, kindergarten, or first grade students. This book is in reference to halloween. Great read aloud to read in the month of October.
Mama Bibliosoph
I reviewed Alpha Oops! The Day Z Went First, in my roundup earlier this year of books about the alphabet. I like this sequel even better. Once again, all the letters are about to put on a show, but A isn't ready. This time, H is called in and gets things started with "H is for Halloween."

The letters all eventually take the stage dressed up as Halloween themed words, like "Z is for Zombie" and "S is for Skeleton." There are some cute running gags too. The letter B keeps getting its ideas stolen (
Alyssa Baxter
Nov 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: early-readers
I absolutely loved this book. The alphabet is presenting their Halloween costumes. Unlike many alphabet concept books, this book presents the letters out of order, which could confuse some kids. This book gives various personalities to the letters. The letters’ dialogue will have you laughing and smiling. I did not realize that it was possible to feel bad for a letter before reading this book (sorry B!). The illustrations are super colorful and full of movement, which will keep children's attent ...more
Edna Velasquez
Dec 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: alphabet-books
Awards: None
Grade Level: Pre-k- 1st
Summary: This book presents the alphabet as a cast of characters who are ready to put on the Halloween show. It is associated to certain Halloween words that begin with H. Every page has different letters and it contains a difference scene.
Review: The illustrations in this book was well drawn. I like this book because children are able to identify the letter and learn about new words connected to themes.
In class uses:1. Used to practice the alphabet.
2. Children
Avery A.
Oct 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
Genre: Picture book - Alphabet
Awards: none
Audience: ages 3-6
A. AlphaOops is a 32-page book with illustrations of each letter of the alphabet.
B. Bob Kolar uses appropriate and effective colors to convey a Halloween theme. Mostly dark colors are used in the backgrounds and bolder colors are used for the letters so that they stand out on the pages.
C. I would use this book with a group of preschoolers to build letter knowledge and vocabulary, specifically in the Fall or the month of October as Hall
Meg McGregor
Nov 01, 2020 rated it really liked it
What a sweet story!

I love Alphabet Books and this certainly does not disappoint!

My favorite event in the story, is when all the letters of the Alphabet, are dancing and having a great time at the Halloween Party!

I wish I had these type of Alphabet Books when I was growing up! They make learning the Alphabet so much fun!

The illustrations are gorgeous by the way! Simple but elegant, they will grab your little one's attention, and never let go!
Lauren
Sep 22, 2020 rated it really liked it
This was a fun read. You get a jumbled up alphabet where all the letters are things relating to Halloween. (Of course.) I do like that A tells everyone that H should go first because it’s a Halloween book. Also - Poor B!
Betsy
Mar 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Beautiful drawings! Clever way to check on alphabet recognition.
Michelle
Jun 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Cute and kids love funny stories.
Molly Cluff (Library!)
Oct 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: halloween
I love how "B" keeps getting pushed off to the side until the very end. This would be a hard book to understand if kids weren't familiar with their letters yet, though. ...more
Laura Aldridge
Super cute super clever take on an alphabet book. There’s also a lot to see without being overwhelming so kids will get a great read and a fun time to look for things!
Mary
Apr 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Loved this fun book. Our son knew it by heart.
Brittany
Oct 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-books
One of the cutest alphabet books I’ve ever read.
Lisa
Oct 26, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: f-and-g
A little scarier than it needed to be.
Bailey Held
Oct 31, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: pre-k-k, funny
I found this book hard to follow because of the alphabet being in a random order. It worries me that this might confuse students that are trying to learn the alphabet.
Beth Voecks
Nov 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Hilarious!!
kim
not amazing, not horrible
Kaitlyn
Oct 26, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kid-s-books
Fun holiday book with the alphabet. Creative and fun illustrations.
Alyson Howlett
Sep 16, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Cute, fun, educational, and festive.
Hillary Forrest
Oct 07, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: libs-642
I selected this book as an alphabet book. This particular book, written by Alethea Kontis, is similar to a book referenced in the textbook, The Joy of Childern’s Literature by Denise Johnson (2011), in Chapter 4 page73. I was transfixed by the use of colors in the illustrations and theme of this book. I found that this book could appeal to large group of children but especially young readers.

The jacket of the book is attention grabbing. In the center of the page there is a large “H” on top of a
Evette
Oct 11, 2012 rated it liked it
Genre: Picture books (Alphabet)
Alpha Oops: H is for Halloween Althea Kontis
Summary: This book presents the alphabet as a cast of characters who are ready to put on the Halloween show. “A” is initially called to go first, but she insists that “H” take center stage since it’s a Halloween presentation. Each letter is sure to make little readers laugh as they anticipate what will happen next especially to the letter “B” who can’t seem to find his place in the alphabet parade. All of the letters are
Samantha Bilodeau
This is one of my favorite Halloween books and, to be honest, it is one that we don't put away and enjoy all year long!

Like the first AlphaOops book, this book has alphabet characters who all participate in the story completely out of order. They all dress up as various Halloween-type things, or are otherwise representing their letter (Q gets Queasy from eating too much candy, M is for Mummy, etc.). They are funny and occasionally interrupt each other, trying to outdo the letters before them.

The

See top shelves…
"A veritable badass fairy princess." --Jim Butcher

"The faerie princess of the worlds of weird." --Jonathan Maberry

"Alethea Kontis IS fairy tales." --Jim C. Hines, author of Libriomancer

"Alethea Kontis: Awesome, racks up award nominations, wears tiaras." --SF author Ferrett Steinmetz

"I want to live in [Alethea's] head because I think that might be the most interesting place in the world!!!!" --Elle

AlphaOops! (2 books)