Start by marking “AlphaOops: H Is for Halloween” as Want to Read:
AlphaOops: H Is for Halloween

AlphaOops: H Is for Halloween (AlphaOops!)

H gets top billing — but a stubborn B has something scary to say — as the inside-out alphabet gives a howl-arious Halloween performance.

Published July 13th 2010 by Candlewick press

To ask other readers questions about AlphaOops, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about AlphaOops

Tasha
Oct 18, 2010 Tasha rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
The mixed up alphabet antics continue in this second Alpha Oops book. A isn’t ready to go on, but H has to start a Halloween book anyway. H starts with Halloween, and the other letters join in for a Halloween-themed alphabet that is not in any particular order. As the letters reveal themselves, poor B keeps on trying to get his word in but is upstaged each time. He tries to be a buccaneer, but P is wearing the same costume for pirate. X has trouble finding the perfect word too, but S is there wi ...more
Michelle
Jul 15, 2010 Michelle rated it it was amazing
Instant LOVE! This book is wonderful for R2R use. Great illustrations, engaging storyline (a Halloween pageant!), excellent for vocabulary and letter knowledge (the letters appear out of order in the "pageant," but line up nicely along the bottom of the page as each one "takes their turn.") I will definitely be using this one for my own children come Halloweeen time! p.s. *love* the hint to a third book at the end...
Monster
In this Halloween themed AlphaOops story, the mixed up alphabet is getting ready to celebrate Halloween in traditional AlphaOops style. When the letter A isn't ready to start the Halloween alphabet, the letter H gets top billing. The other letters appear throughout the book representing different creatures and items of Halloween. Kontis includes some alphabet book in-jokes, as when the letter J apologizes to the jack-o-lantern for picking another word, saying "J can't always be for jack-o-lanter ...more
Julie
Oct 10, 2010 Julie rated it really liked it
Fun story, great illustrations, the words are kind of all over the place and it does not follow any alphabetical order (although the letters use words that start with their letter). Some banter between the letters makes it entertaining for adults as well. Reading it to a child requires a fair amount of pointing to direct attention to where it's supposed to go. Still, very worthwhile. Good Halloween seasonal read for one on one, maybe not so great for a read aloud.
Tricia
Sep 10, 2010 Tricia rated it really liked it
This book is a nice blend of alphabet and holiday. Thinking that some subtleties may be missed in a group environment but this went over well as a reading to a solo child. Clever and funny, we both enjoyed it.
Jade Saleem
Oct 14, 2010 Jade Saleem rated it liked it
This a great read aloud for pre k, kindergarten, or first grade students. This book is in reference to halloween. Great read aloud to read in the month of October.
Sep 27, 2010 Jennifer rated it really liked it
Shelves: emily-books
Very cute book for kids and incorporates Halloween words for each of the letters.
Emily Garrison
Oct 20, 2016 Emily Garrison rated it it was amazing
This book, as you might tell by the title, focuses on letters that start words that relate to Halloween. Some pages were spot on but others, the letters were representing the wrong words, hence the "oops" in the title. The letters do not go in order throughout the book but they do have a nice story line. My son really likes this book and doesn't seem to notice that the letters don't necessarily follow the alphabet. He loves the letters like B for buccaneer and P for pirate, F for Frankenstein an ...more
Jon(athan) Nakapalau
Oct 25, 2016 Jon(athan) Nakapalau rated it it was amazing
HALLOWEEN IS ALMOST HERE! Now if only all the letters can come up with a plant to spell it out!
Madison
Oct 14, 2016 Madison rated it really liked it
Shelves: abc, fall-holiday
A mixed up alphabet book with a Halloween theme. My preschooler loved this book. Fun illustrations, crazy costumes and lots of Halloween spirit.
Hillary Forrest
Oct 07, 2013 Hillary Forrest rated it really liked it
Shelves: libs-642
I selected this book as an alphabet book. This particular book, written by Alethea Kontis, is similar to a book referenced in the textbook, The Joy of Childern’s Literature by Denise Johnson (2011), in Chapter 4 page73. I was transfixed by the use of colors in the illustrations and theme of this book. I found that this book could appeal to large group of children but especially young readers.

The jacket of the book is attention grabbing. In the center of the page there is a large “H” on top of a
Evette
Oct 15, 2012 Evette rated it liked it
Genre: Picture books (Alphabet)
Alpha Oops: H is for Halloween Althea Kontis
Summary: This book presents the alphabet as a cast of characters who are ready to put on the Halloween show. “A” is initially called to go first, but she insists that “H” take center stage since it’s a Halloween presentation. Each letter is sure to make little readers laugh as they anticipate what will happen next especially to the letter “B” who can’t seem to find his place in the alphabet parade. All of the letters are
Samantha Bilodeau
This is one of my favorite Halloween books and, to be honest, it is one that we don't put away and enjoy all year long!

Like the first AlphaOops book, this book has alphabet characters who all participate in the story completely out of order. They all dress up as various Halloween-type things, or are otherwise representing their letter (Q gets Queasy from eating too much candy, M is for Mummy, etc.). They are funny and occasionally interrupt each other, trying to outdo the letters before them.

The
Kelsie Williams
Sep 04, 2013 Kelsie Williams rated it liked it
Shelves: libs-642
I chose this book as my alphabet picture book. When looking at this book, I found that it grabbed my attention. I like Halloween, and I thought the cover was very appealing. The cover was the same as the jacket of the book and the end pages were black with grey letters. I liked how the end pages corresponded well with the theme of the book. Each page has a lot to look at. At the bottom of the page, there are pumpkins with different letters on them. As each letter comes out on to the stage, the p ...more
Mary Harris
Oct 14, 2012 Mary Harris rated it really liked it
Citation: Alpha Oops! H is for Halloween, by Alethea Kontis. (Candlewick Press, 2010). 34p. Alphabet.

Summary: Creativity at its best! Althea Kontis does a fantastic job of capturing the readers attention with her simple yet colorful illustrations. The setting is a stage for the letters to perform on. And each page has a different Halloween theme for each letter.

A. This book takes a different approach to learning the alphabet. Instead of going straight from A-Z it skips around and keeps track of
Steven Reid
Nov 26, 2012 Steven Reid rated it it was ok
Shelves: picture-book
1. Genre: Alphabet
2. This book is about the alphabet and their association to certain halloween words that begin with them. It runs like a theater production, going through the different letters, and has some mess-ups along the way. Each page reads as a different scene of the play.
3a. Illustrations
3b. The illustrations in this book were very confusing. The pictures themselves were very well drawn, but there seemed to be too much going on in each "scene". It was difficult to understand the progre
Jennifer Heise
Nov 12, 2013 Jennifer Heise rated it it was amazing
Shelves: beekman, alphabet
What a great Halloween alphabet book-- or for alphabet learners who keep Halloween in their heart all year round.

As in the first AlphaOops book, the order of the letters' 'pageant' is rearranged-- this time A isn't ready to go on and suggests H go first, since 'you can't have Halloween without H.' After some protests (Astute readers may remember that H was the one in the first book who wanted to stay right in his usual position, 9th), H leads off a Halloween-themed alphabet, though this time B s
Brittany
Sep 28, 2012 Brittany rated it liked it
I definitely would have given this picture book five stars except that it was the equivalent of an ADHD picture book. It was too confusing, especially for little children who are trying to learn the alphabet. The letters were all mixed up and then the letter characters interrupted the story too many times with their (funny) commentary. I'm all for creativity in a picture book, but the way this author executed was a distraction rather than an enhancement.

That said, whenever I'm looking at an alp
Barbara
Dec 17, 2011 Barbara rated it really liked it
It's time for the alphabet show to start, but A insists that H must go first since the word "Halloween" starts with that letter. As the letters line up and call out the Halloween-related words they represent--there are some challenging ones too, such as Z for zombie, K for kraken, G for goblin, L for lycanthrope--the letters are talking to each other, leading to some delightful asides that add to the appeal of the story. Although the letters don't appear in order in the book, the tiny pumpkins w ...more
Kate Puleo Unger
Oct 15, 2016 Kate Puleo Unger rated it really liked it
Shelves: kids-books-read
The AlphaOops! series features words starting with each letter, but the twist is that the letters are not in alphabetical order. In this book, all of the words relate to Halloween. There's some humor thrown in with A not starting the "show" (it's put on as a kind of theater performance), and with B not being able to find a costume. This book appeals to more than just the classic alphabet book audience because it's a little different and a lot of fun.

Ages 2-6

carissa
Ack! It’s time for the show, and A isn’t ready. But then again, Halloween can only start with one letter, no matter how the A-B-Cs normally go! The misbehaving alphabet is back, and there’s no telling who will take the stage next. Z for zombie? P for pirate? Will X think of something good in time? Neon-bright, comically detailed illustrations show a cacophony of costumed letters, each with a mind and personality all its own. Along the bottom, tiny pumpkins arrange the players in proper order, ma ...more
Jenny
Oct 28, 2013 Jenny rated it liked it
In this fun Halloween alphabet book, the letters do not go in order...but poor B...everytime he thinks of a word and gets dressed up to come on stage, someone has beaten him to the punch. (When he dresses up as Bigfoot, Y is already on stage as a Yeti. When he dresses as a buccaneer, there is P as a pirate.) Will he be able to find his own unique word or will he miss out on his moment in the limelight altogether? You'll have to read to find out.

I liked that along the bottom, they added the lette
N.A. Brun
Sep 27, 2013 N.A. Brun rated it it was amazing
This is a cute and fun alphabet book. I love the way it's more about the characters rather than placing the letters in order. I can't wait until I have children I can share the book with.

Having worked in a school environment, I can say that teaching the alphabet and indeed spelling and phonetics isn't just about the order of the letters but familiarising the children with what each letter represents. Alethea does a fantastic job in doing just that with this delightful story.
Joy
Oct 29, 2011 Joy rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens
"H" gets top billing in the Halloween alphabet show. I missed the first book in this series, but I enjoyed this Halloween themed mixed-up alphabet. It's a really fun alphabet book and great for reinforcing letters with younger children at the same time. I love how poor "B" had to keep trying for something to represent his letter and finally came up with a great Halloween "B" word. A slightly spooky, fun book.
Jackie Gamber
May 09, 2011 Jackie Gamber rated it really liked it
Is there a tea that captures the flavor of October and its candy-collecting holiday? A book for the young and young-at-heart that borrows spookiness from Halloween’s tradition, but remembers its true soul of fun? You bet.

Chanakara’s Dragonfruit Tea, from the sample assortment through English Tea Store. Please read my complete BookTasting here: http://englishtea.us/2010/10/14/chana...
Angie
Jul 16, 2010 Angie rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture
If you liked the first one, you'll like this one. If you haven't ever seen the first one ... give both of them a shot!
For sheer alphabetical Halloween fun this might even be a four and a half star book.

The only thing I might say is don't go into it expecting a "story." The fun is in the silly alphabet characters (both the written depiction as well as the fun illustration).
Fatima
May 01, 2011 Fatima rated it it was amazing

I liked the story book about ALphaOoops who mixed up in order to celebrate Halloween. The letter A is not ready , but letter H is on the top letters who shows readiness.The author used digital art type in order to attract children to read it. This book suites k-Gr 3 students to read it and it introduce American traditional celebrations as Halloween.

Meredith
A Halloween alphabet book that is silly and cute and definitely not scary. The twist on traditional alphabet books is that the letters are anthropomorphized and present themselves out of alphabetical order, wearing costumes or illustrating concepts for Halloween-related words. "B" keeps having his ideas taken by other letters but manages to end the book with a bang.
Relyn
Nov 03, 2013 Relyn rated it it was ok
Recommended to Relyn by: the same blog as the other Halloween books I read lately
Another Halloween flop. Not sure why, but my kids were completely unengaged with this book. I didn't use it for read aloud either because it's hard to follow as a read aloud. Too many random talkers and not much of a narrated story line. Not my favorite.
Ashley Borman
Sep 09, 2012 Ashley Borman added it
Shelves: uwm-645
Very cute, mixed up alphabet story. As the letters make their appearance on stage, their letter appears permanently in it's spot in the alphabet at the bottom of the page. A fun and interesting way of looking at the alphabet, especially for those who love Halloween!
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • My Mommy Hung the Moon: A Love Story
  • Flora's Very Windy Day
"A veritable badass fairy princess." --Jim Butcher

"Alethea Kontis IS fairy tales." --Jim C. Hines, author of Libriomancer

"Alethea Kontis: Awesome, racks up award nominations, wears tiaras." --SF author Ferrett Steinmetz

"I want to live in [Alethea's] head because I think that might be the most interesting place in the world!!!!" --Ellen Oh, author of Prophecy

"Alethea Kontis, the woman who writes li
More about Alethea Kontis...

AlphaOops! (2 books)