Start by marking “AlphaOops: H Is for Halloween” as Want to Read:
AlphaOops: H Is for Halloween

AlphaOops: H Is for Halloween

(AlphaOops!)

H gets top billing — but a stubborn B has something scary to say — as the inside-out alphabet gives a howl-arious Halloween performance.

Ack! It’s time for the show, and A isn’t ready. But then again, Halloween can only start with one letter, no matter how the A-B-Cs normally go! The misbehaving alphabet is back, and there’s no telling who will take the stage next. Z for
Published July 13th 2010 by Candlewick press

To ask other readers questions about AlphaOops, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about AlphaOops

Start your review of AlphaOops: H Is for Halloween
Tasha
Oct 18, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
The mixed up alphabet antics continue in this second Alpha Oops book. A isn’t ready to go on, but H has to start a Halloween book anyway. H starts with Halloween, and the other letters join in for a Halloween-themed alphabet that is not in any particular order. As the letters reveal themselves, poor B keeps on trying to get his word in but is upstaged each time. He tries to be a buccaneer, but P is wearing the same costume for pirate. X has trouble finding the perfect word too, but S is there ...more
Jon Nakapalau
Oct 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing
HALLOWEEN IS ALMOST HERE! Now if only all the letters can come up with a plant to spell it out!
Michelle
Jul 15, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Instant LOVE! This book is wonderful for R2R use. Great illustrations, engaging storyline (a Halloween pageant!), excellent for vocabulary and letter knowledge (the letters appear out of order in the "pageant," but line up nicely along the bottom of the page as each one "takes their turn.") I will definitely be using this one for my own children come Halloweeen time! p.s. *love* the hint to a third book at the end...
Melki
Oct 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: halloween, kidstuff
The letters are going to put on a spectacular Halloween show if they can ever get their act(s) together.
Great illustrations by Bob Kolar.
Sara *~The Loquacious Lassie~*
Apr 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
An adorable sequel to "Alphaoops- The Day Z Went First." My son is obsessed with the first, so he was beyond excited to recieve this one. As in the first, the alphabet goes in a wonky order (this time because A isn't read to go on stage in their Halloween performance. I will say that this one does not have quite the same charm as the first. The Halloween aspect is a little darker than I'd like ( D is for devil, N is for nightmare, U is for undead). But my 3, almost, 4 year old absolutely loves ...more
Monster
In this Halloween themed AlphaOops story, the mixed up alphabet is getting ready to celebrate Halloween in traditional AlphaOops style. When the letter A isn't ready to start the Halloween alphabet, the letter H gets top billing. The other letters appear throughout the book representing different creatures and items of Halloween. Kontis includes some alphabet book in-jokes, as when the letter J apologizes to the jack-o-lantern for picking another word, saying "J can't always be for ...more
Julie
Oct 10, 2010 rated it really liked it
Fun story, great illustrations, the words are kind of all over the place and it does not follow any alphabetical order (although the letters use words that start with their letter). Some banter between the letters makes it entertaining for adults as well. Reading it to a child requires a fair amount of pointing to direct attention to where it's supposed to go. Still, very worthwhile. Good Halloween seasonal read for one on one, maybe not so great for a read aloud.
Tricia
Sep 10, 2010 rated it really liked it
This book is a nice blend of alphabet and holiday. Thinking that some subtleties may be missed in a group environment but this went over well as a reading to a solo child. Clever and funny, we both enjoyed it.
Jade Saleem
Oct 14, 2010 rated it liked it
This a great read aloud for pre k, kindergarten, or first grade students. This book is in reference to halloween. Great read aloud to read in the month of October.
Sep 27, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: emily-books
Very cute book for kids and incorporates Halloween words for each of the letters.
Mama Bibliosoph
I reviewed Alpha Oops! The Day Z Went First, in my roundup earlier this year of books about the alphabet. I like this sequel even better. Once again, all the letters are about to put on a show, but A isn't ready. This time, H is called in and gets things started with "H is for Halloween."

The letters all eventually take the stage dressed up as Halloween themed words, like "Z is for Zombie" and "S is for Skeleton." There are some cute running gags too. The letter B keeps getting its ideas stolen
Alyssa Baxter
Nov 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: early-readers
I absolutely loved this book. The alphabet is presenting their Halloween costumes. Unlike many alphabet concept books, this book presents the letters out of order, which could confuse some kids. This book gives various personalities to the letters. The letters’ dialogue will have you laughing and smiling. I did not realize that it was possible to feel bad for a letter before reading this book (sorry B!). The illustrations are super colorful and full of movement, which will keep children's ...more
Edna Velasquez
Dec 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: alphabet-books
Awards: None
Grade Level: Pre-k- 1st
Summary: This book presents the alphabet as a cast of characters who are ready to put on the Halloween show. It is associated to certain Halloween words that begin with H. Every page has different letters and it contains a difference scene.
Review: The illustrations in this book was well drawn. I like this book because children are able to identify the letter and learn about new words connected to themes.
In class uses:1. Used to practice the alphabet.
2. Children
Avery A.
Oct 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
Genre: Picture book - Alphabet
Awards: none
Audience: ages 3-6
A. AlphaOops is a 32-page book with illustrations of each letter of the alphabet.
B. Bob Kolar uses appropriate and effective colors to convey a Halloween theme. Mostly dark colors are used in the backgrounds and bolder colors are used for the letters so that they stand out on the pages.
C. I would use this book with a group of preschoolers to build letter knowledge and vocabulary, specifically in the Fall or the month of October as
Mary
Apr 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Loved this fun book. Our son knew it by heart.
Brittany
Oct 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-books
One of the cutest alphabet books I’ve ever read.
Laura Aldridge
Mar 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kids-books
Super cute super clever take on an alphabet book. There’s also a lot to see without being overwhelming so kids will get a great read and a fun time to look for things!
Betsy
Mar 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Beautiful drawings! Clever way to check on alphabet recognition.
Lisa
Oct 26, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: f-and-g
A little scarier than it needed to be.
Bailey Held
Oct 31, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: pre-k-k, funny
I found this book hard to follow because of the alphabet being in a random order. It worries me that this might confuse students that are trying to learn the alphabet.
Molly Cluff (Library!)
Oct 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: halloween
I love how "B" keeps getting pushed off to the side until the very end. This would be a hard book to understand if kids weren't familiar with their letters yet, though.
Beth Wisniewski
Nov 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Hilarious!!
Michelle
Jun 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Cute and kids love funny stories.
Hillary Forrest
Oct 07, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: libs-642
I selected this book as an alphabet book. This particular book, written by Alethea Kontis, is similar to a book referenced in the textbook, The Joy of Childern’s Literature by Denise Johnson (2011), in Chapter 4 page73. I was transfixed by the use of colors in the illustrations and theme of this book. I found that this book could appeal to large group of children but especially young readers.

The jacket of the book is attention grabbing. In the center of the page there is a large “H” on top of a
Evette
Oct 11, 2012 rated it liked it
Genre: Picture books (Alphabet)
Alpha Oops: H is for Halloween Althea Kontis
Summary: This book presents the alphabet as a cast of characters who are ready to put on the Halloween show. “A” is initially called to go first, but she insists that “H” take center stage since it’s a Halloween presentation. Each letter is sure to make little readers laugh as they anticipate what will happen next especially to the letter “B” who can’t seem to find his place in the alphabet parade. All of the letters are
Samantha Bilodeau
This is one of my favorite Halloween books and, to be honest, it is one that we don't put away and enjoy all year long!

Like the first AlphaOops book, this book has alphabet characters who all participate in the story completely out of order. They all dress up as various Halloween-type things, or are otherwise representing their letter (Q gets Queasy from eating too much candy, M is for Mummy, etc.). They are funny and occasionally interrupt each other, trying to outdo the letters before them.

The
Kelsie Williams
Sep 04, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: libs-642
I chose this book as my alphabet picture book. When looking at this book, I found that it grabbed my attention. I like Halloween, and I thought the cover was very appealing. The cover was the same as the jacket of the book and the end pages were black with grey letters. I liked how the end pages corresponded well with the theme of the book. Each page has a lot to look at. At the bottom of the page, there are pumpkins with different letters on them. As each letter comes out on to the stage, the ...more
Mary Harris
Oct 03, 2012 rated it really liked it
Citation: Alpha Oops! H is for Halloween, by Alethea Kontis. (Candlewick Press, 2010). 34p. Alphabet.

Summary: Creativity at its best! Althea Kontis does a fantastic job of capturing the readers attention with her simple yet colorful illustrations. The setting is a stage for the letters to perform on. And each page has a different Halloween theme for each letter.

A. This book takes a different approach to learning the alphabet. Instead of going straight from A-Z it skips around and keeps track of
Steven Reid
Nov 26, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: picture-book
1. Genre: Alphabet
2. This book is about the alphabet and their association to certain halloween words that begin with them. It runs like a theater production, going through the different letters, and has some mess-ups along the way. Each page reads as a different scene of the play.
3a. Illustrations
3b. The illustrations in this book were very confusing. The pictures themselves were very well drawn, but there seemed to be too much going on in each "scene". It was difficult to understand the
Jennifer Heise
Nov 11, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: beekman, alphabet
What a great Halloween alphabet book-- or for alphabet learners who keep Halloween in their heart all year round.

As in the first AlphaOops book, the order of the letters' 'pageant' is rearranged-- this time A isn't ready to go on and suggests H go first, since 'you can't have Halloween without H.' After some protests (Astute readers may remember that H was the one in the first book who wanted to stay right in his usual position, 9th), H leads off a Halloween-themed alphabet, though this time B
« previous 1 3 next »

• The Scarecrow
  • R Is for Ramadan
  • I Can Make This Promise
  • More, Fewer, Less
  • Sandwiches!: More Than You've Ever Wanted to Know about Making and Eating America's Favorite Food
  • Island Book
  • I Want a Dog
  • At the Mountain's Base
  • Mephisto
"A veritable badass fairy princess." --Jim Butcher

"The faerie princess of the worlds of weird." --Jonathan Maberry

"Alethea Kontis IS fairy tales." --Jim C. Hines, author of Libriomancer

"Alethea Kontis: Awesome, racks up award nominations, wears tiaras." --SF author Ferrett Steinmetz

"I want to live in [Alethea's] head because I think that might be the most interesting place in the world!!!!"

AlphaOops! (2 books)